The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy III (some D... S... subtitle to be named)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Final Fantasy III (some D... S... subtitle to be named) Reply with quote

Well, for what ever reason I thought that Squarenix would just do a port job using the I&II engine for the GBA while locating all the menus on the bottom screen. That would have been ok and all, but it apears that I was way off. While now it looks like they are using the FF: Crystal Chronicles engine which is pretty damn impressive. It looks like they really are taking this seriously. III is one of the few older FF games I have yet to play (II is the other, but from what I understand of it I am not missing much). It seems like the DS may finally put a fresh face onto the cliched standard jRPG format, but all that is out to test this is that Lunar game, which I have no intention of playing. I look forward to a RPG that I kinda want to play for this system.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the comparison shots?

What's impressive is that they seem to be keeping the same dungeon and town layout right down to the rock, flower, and tree locations despite the new graphics. I'm kind of hoping that they allow you to play an emulated verison of the original as well just for comparison's sake.

Isn't FF3 the game that introduced the Final Fantasy Tactics inspiring concept of mid-game Class changing and assigning sub-classes? I like that system.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Isn't FF3 the game that introduced the Final Fantasy Tactics inspiring concept of mid-game Class changing and assigning sub-classes? I like that system.

-Wes

I belive you are refering to V. I really enjoyed V because it was like a Tactics game with out the length of battles that seem to come with tactic games. The enemy is also named X-Death... I mean you can't beat that.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know V has it, but I think that III introduced it and V refined it. Could be wrong though!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Wes, you're right. And V didn't even refine it very much. III was the first with a changeable job system, and it's... Well, it's certainly better than I and II, which are both now unplayable. III has something there, at least. I never beat it, but when I tried it several years ago I was kind of impressed with the way they incorporated the gameplay with the game world. For instance, there's a section where you must know the spell "mini" to shrink yourself down and go into a dungeon. IV had something like that ("Float" to walk over damaging tiles), but most of the games afterwards just floated along, pretending that what happened in battles had nothing to do with what happened in the game.

Same for most RPGs, of course. It's something that really needs to change.

Other thoughts on III: It's jumpy. I remember fairly quickly into the game getting an airship, losing the airship, bouncing from caves to mountain ranges to ancient temples, and so on. Fast-paced. It would be more fast-paced if you didn't have to level so much to work the class system; maybe they'll fix that. Also, I remember liking the dungeons.

So. We'll see. Is this game using the wi-fi at all? I know this is just a remake, but Crystal Chronicles could really work on the DS.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
So. We'll see. Is this game using the wi-fi at all? I know this is just a remake, but Crystal Chronicles could really work on the DS.
While I don't know about III, on a positive note CC is slated for a DS release. Which is going to be grand.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's just have the first five dragon quest games released on a single ds compilation.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fools! They already used "Dawn of Souls"!
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh shit. I need to by a DS (cause I sold away my GBA a while ago). Too cool ...
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, FFIII is the only really good one amongst the NES trilogy. And yes, it's got the same job system from V, only a little less advanced. I believe it also introduced Chocobos.

The game's strongest selling point, however, is the Onionkids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: