The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

escape this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: escape this! Reply with quote

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/18/17
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!! So that's why he's not writing anything for the next issue! For shame...

Congrats my friend.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post a topic, but alas, Mr Hex has beaten me to it.

Yes, I contributed that article to The Escapist. A number of weeks ago actually, about the same time I submitted an article to another online place.

The Reason: Due to hard copy magazines collapsing in the UK, and a general drying up of regular freelance work, I needed to supplement my income. A man has got to eat (or at least afford decent gin).

Plus, I've had the idea for that piece floating around inside my head for ages, and wanted to finally commit my thoughts to paper.

Besides, I couldn't exactly put in here, I wouldn't want to step on Toups' toes. I'm waiting for him to actually write something on it.

Don't get mad, I wasn't trying to avoid or betray you guys, and I've given you some of my best work. For no other reason than the fact that I really like The Gamer's Quarter.

The reason for me having not done anything for next TGQ issue, is an entirely different kettle of fish. Big things brewing.

Otherwise, you still have the crazy diary I wrote, and a nearly finished article on import gaming, aptly timed too: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/08/sony_end_ps_region-coding/
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was jokin' man! I read your article though and it's really nice! The only real complaint I have is the end. You shoulda pimped TGQ instead of your other thing! Smile Seriously though, good article, although it feels like your personality may have been edited out of it. How was it working with the Escapist peeps?

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, the escapist pays money?

Maybe I should submit something.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much do they pay?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only dealt with the editor via email, a very friendly woman.

I had to really cut back on the word count, which might be why it seemed to lack my personality. I was happy with their edits though.

From their official guidelines, available on the site:

An invoice must be submitted for all articles accepted for publication. Payment will be made 30 days from the run of the article. Rate is $0.25+ cents per word based on edited word count, research and style, and is for first-time publishing rights. Invoices must include the date, your name, address, contact information, article title, print date and amount due. A kill fee of 25% of the agreed upon fee may be paid for materials originally solicited by the editors.

Anyway, I've got supper cooking, so must dash. Speak to you all later. Smile
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"so everyone can relate to events", I'd love to see more games that people can relate to without the alien-killing kung-fu master stat-maxing b.s that is so prevalent in FPS/fighting games/RPGs. I'm personally imagining a kind of game a bit more like Disaster Report (a.k.a SOS Final Escape) http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Disaster_Report/DisasterReport.shtm

where the player character has to survive and escape in an earthquake ridden city that is slowly sinking into the sea. (There is no combat for most of this game).

Anyway, good article probably better than the Tim Rogers' review on LPN.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I quite liked Tim's piece, but was very conscious to avoid similarities.

Anyway, I find that everyone can relate to the Earthbound games mainly on a literary level. Though it delves in wacky fantasy later on, it eases you in with familiar surroundings.

Though if I'm being pedantic, it does feature later on, a kung-fu master, aliens and stat maxing... Or were you being ironic in your post, pointing out apparent hypocrisies in the text?

Of course the overall adventure is grand in scope, but I personally found it more absorbing that a lot of grittier games.

To me, it wrapped everything in a kind of cotton wool that made me feel like a kid again, wandering a forest with friends and having made up adventures. The fantasy is more believable, than the fantasy in DQ or FF games.

Yup, and now I'm starting to ramble.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at writing . . . let alone putting together anything anybody would want to read. Congrats Wink
Iammadmak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider it a success if someone reads what I post and comprehends what I might be saying.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iammadmak wrote:
I consider it a success if someone reads what I post and comprehends what I might be saying.

You are successful today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: