The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mithras mithras time of year / fable-ness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: mithras mithras time of year / fable-ness Reply with quote

so the birthday is soon coming to fruition, and since i cannot convince my family to stop buying me things - or, for the most part, to just make charitable donations in my name to the non-governmental, non-prohibitionist organization of their chioce - i send out a list of games. i hate getting clothing and trying to buy me books or music is a crapshoot at best. and i have no fucking room for junk, i can't possibly wall-mount any more crockery and my in laws are mired in a swamp of bad taste so deep and murky that i can only hold my breath and wait for one party or the other to expire.

thus far i have recieved the pc version of fable and killer 7 for the gamecube. i haven't cracked killer 7 yet. fable is...well, i can tell they fuck it up somewhere - and not just by skipping the whole childhood thing, which was probably worth more time - but it reminds me of the kings' quest series for some reason. also sorta runs badly in parts, lots of hard disk thrashing.

regardless, there's a point here; and that point is about gifting. do you request/receive game-ish stuff for the holidays/arbitary date change, whatever they may be for you? do you use this time of year to pass along a title which has meant a lot to you to someone you know will appreciate it?
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I bought 4 copies of Katamari Damacy for 4 different people. I bought my girlfriend her DS (for Christmasish, but I gave it to her already) and I'll probably get her Animal Crossing for Christmas.

I usually give my aunt a game, but she hasn't really played much since her 2 year long daily trips to Animal Crossing a few years back. I may just skip out on it this year, but I may end up getting her Dragon Quest 8.

As for myself, I try to get games almost exclusively, but that doesn't always happen. This year I'm getting a trip to Disneyworld. Curses! It's just as well though. The games I receive don't mean quite as much now that I buy the ones I REALLY want ahead of time.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I buy or have bought all the games I want. So asking for gift cards is usually my best option. Best Buy gift cards are good because I can get just about anything.

This year I may ask for a new amp. I was thinking a VOX.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received nothing but videogames for birthday/christmas presents for the past 8 years up until the time I was 16; it feels weird now. So I buy my own videogames on the cheap, save my parents a few dollars, because a game's a game and the only thing missing when you buy it used is the new game smell (which is actually a pretty big thing, but all I have to do to get it back is crack open my Skies of Arcadia Legends case. that game always smells new).

Now I ask for big books full of posters and art. I worship the throne of Taschen. I'm definitely asking for a copy of the Art of Modern Rock this year. I was thinking about asking for that R. Crumb compilation/reader/biography that I saw from my Grandma, and then I remembered that... you know, it was R. Crumb. I think I might just ask for Fire Emblem for GBA instead.

I would love a trip to disneyworld as a gift, but I think that the Rotten library may have spoiled it for me.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
I would love a trip to disneyworld as a gift, but I think that the Rotten library may have spoiled it for me.

i'm pretty sure ethics spoiled disney for me.

i think i'm going to ask for a super cd-rom this holiday season. and by "ask for" i mean ask someone to give me some money so i can go and buy it from the japanese merchant i have an existing relationship with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
sawtooth wrote:

i'm pretty sure ethics spoiled disney for me.

That's what I meant, more or less. Until I read that library article, and then heard about their business troubles, Disney existed to me not as a gigantic corporation but as this sort of benevolent entertainment deity. Now that I've heard that they just laid off the last of their traditional animation department, which really depresses me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(not to mention all the sweatshops they operate.)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's a super cd rom?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what's a super cd rom?

a very special thing that happens to a pc engine when it reaches adulthood.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:

Which rotten library would that be?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to take a wild guess: rotten.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROTIP: If you don't know what that site is already then you might not wanna go there.

I find the amazon wishlist feature is pretty handy for this sort of thing. I'd much rather try to find personal gifts for people than resort to it myself, however, even if it's just keeping Vintage's PKD line in print by hand inscribing my used ones and replacing them periodically.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotten.com is pretty awful and I avoid it like the plague (PROTIP: listen to dark steve), but http://rotten.com/library is a fun way to spend time between classes or if you don't feel like sleeping for awhile. The article on Disneyland really is great, though, despite the library's tendency to go all NSFW on certain occasions. Although if you go wandering into the sex section, it's to be expected.

The same guys run www.nndb.com, which is actually really cool and very useful. It's a database of public figures, artists, and celebrities, the nastiest thing on there being Gary Glitter's profile, honest.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry. i figured rotten 'twas as old as the interweb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: