The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new generation of similarity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: A new generation of similarity Reply with quote

1up has a "news story" running right now about how Tony Hawk on the 360 looks and sounds pretty much identical to the current generation console versions. What do you guys think of Microsoft allowing something like this? As much as we get pissed at Sony for their strict anti-games-that-don't-make-my-system-look-impressive policies (ie No 2-D), should Microsoft be letting companies release hi-def versions of current generation stuff on their new system at this point in the game? Sure, allowing this may bump up the number of launch games, but is this worth it if it might make the system look less impressive to potential buyers?

I have a feeling that Tony Hawk isn't the only game that's going to do this. Neversoft's other game Gun is more than likely also getting the pointless next-gen treatment, as well as Eidos' Tomb Raider Legends (if it comes out on time at all) and Ubi-Soft's King Kongmay be as well. To add insult to injury, Xbox 360 games are expected to cost $10 more than Xbox games. Taking Microsoft's image out of the picture, can Activision and Ubi-Soft really justify charging $10 more for the next-gen version of a game that doesn't offer any features that are exclusive to the next-gen systems?

What do you guys think?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they "legitimately" charge more for the smallest leap ever in graphical quality, either? What difference does it make if these games look like they were on the Dreamcast or PS2 as opposed to the "Next Generation".
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone already knows what I think about this. It's more less what I said was going to happen, and again the only really good looking games will come from developers how have good artists and smart programmers, irrespective of what platform the game is released on. I think that Shadow of the Collosus will be hands down the best looking game this year (even at like 20 fps), despite being released on the weakest possible hardware.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfair to say that the 360 isn't powerful enough to do games that are legitamitly imperessive. Have you seen the video of NBA 2K6 on 360? It looks almost indistinguishable from a television broadcast (until you look at the people in the stands). What about the Project Gotham 3 in-car footage. Or the recent images of Kameo.

I mean, this stuff looks undeniably better than what we've got out there right now. And the added processing power should allow developers to put more stuff on the screen at once, process more complicated AI routines, and throw layers of effects on top of stuff that would be fairly straightforward on modern consoles. Unfiortunately, a lot of companies aren't going to be doing these things with their multiplatform games because they need to meet a specified launch date.

Toups inadvertently brings up a good pro-360 point with the 20 frames per second Shadow of Colossus. Doesn't it suck that the development team had to sacrafice their vision in order to make the game that fits their parent company's specs? It's undoubtedly going to be an impressive looking game, but not without a cost. If Shadow of Colossus was on either the Xbox 1 or 360 the frame rate wouldn't have taken a hit and the game would be just as smooth as the designers envisioned it, and maybe even have a few grass and sand effects that help create a more realistic feeling world.

I see everyone's argument about needless technology, but using this same argument we could say that there was no reason for the SNES when the NES would have told Mother 2's storyline just as well. There are benefits to advanced technolgy, even when a game isn't technologically driven, but these benefits only happen when developers take advantage of it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that the 360 isn't powerful enough. I'm saying that now more than ever it's less a matter of console power and more a matter of how good your programmers/artists are.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure it's just a scheme to bleed gamers for money, though.

i'm really quite sure.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind the only way the next generation will redeem itself and convince me that it's worthwhile is by giving me games with persistent, consistent worlds that adhere to their own internal logic and put up a convincing illusion of life within the world. In short, I'll be convinced once developers start making games that can only be made for the next gen systems and not on current gen ones.

Shadow of the Colossus is a good example, for many reasons. Toups brings up the importance of smart art assets and programmers in an age of digital prowess. I'd also like to add that even if Shadow could run better on the 360 I'd rather be playing it on PS2 because that's what I own right now and it's entirely possible to get the same experience either way. And the Colossus demo does have grass and sand effects, Wes. Grass sways in the virtual wind, sand is kicked up by your horse, etc.

For the next gen I'd also better not be bumping into invisible walls, staring at load screens, getting hung on level geometry, watching my avatar run in place whenever presented with an obstacle that blocks progress(ie: just about every game ever where the character runs in one spot while up against a wall), or any other fourth wall breaking activity that plagues modern games.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't load screens basically a given at this point?

some of the screens i've seen look nice, but they don't seem that much different than a higher-end graphics card setup on a pc.

which is probably the point, i guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Shadow of the Colossus is a good example, for many reasons. Toups brings up the importance of smart art assets and programmers in an age of digital prowess. I'd also like to add that even if Shadow could run better on the 360 I'd rather be playing it on PS2 because that's what I own right now and it's entirely possible to get the same experience either way. And the Colossus demo does have grass and sand effects, Wes. Grass sways in the virtual wind, sand is kicked up by your horse, etc.

This is an interesting point that you're bringing up inadvertently. If grass swaying in virtual wind and sand being kicked up by your horse are things that help to create a better experience shouldn't we be looking forward to the next gen? In the next generation these things will no longer be features on the back of the big-budget games. They'll be standard in all games because doing them won't need to be added at the expense of other cool ideas the designers can come up with.

This also cuts into my argument against the best artists artists and programmers defining the best games. I'm pretty sure I disagree with this. I think that good art assets and intellegent programming will be less important in the next generation. If a game like Shadow of Colossus pushes the PS2 to its limits and is only possible when created by teams with great skill, won't the next generation make experiences like this easier to create? If anything, smart programmers and great artists are more important when you have less power. When you have less power to work with, you have to come up with intellegent and creative ways of doing things.

Did you know that the Colossi (sp?) in Shadow of Colossus vary in size depending on their speed? The faster Colossi have to be smaller in order to keep the processor strain down and the larger Colossi have to move slow for the same reason. This type of design decision was based on the limitations of the hardware and it's the kind of thing that only a skilled team can make. With more power they wouldn't have had those limitations and could have let their mind run free with creativity.

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
For the next gen I'd also better not be bumping into invisible walls, staring at load screens, getting hung on level geometry, watching my avatar run in place whenever presented with an obstacle that blocks progress(ie: just about every game ever where the character runs in one spot while up against a wall), or any other fourth wall breaking activity that plagues modern games.

Many of the things mentioned here (invisible walls, animation issues, getting hung on level geometry, and - to some extent - load times) are design issues rather than issues of system power. These things will continue to exist in the next gen unless somehow a new generation of designers that can create levels and design games such that these things are more transparent.

I'm partially being the contrarian in this discussion. In many ways I feel like we don't really need the Xbox 360 right now, but by that same token we didn't really need the Saturn when it came out. It didn't really improve on the Genesis controller, didn't really pave the way for brand new types of games, and was actually a step back in many ways as developers did a lot of things in ugly 3D when 2D would have sufficed and a lot of things in 2D when it really didn't look better than it would have on a 16-bit system. Virtua Fighter 2 came out on the 32X, the Genesis, and the Saturn, and VR Racing came out on both the Genesis and the Saturn further proving that the Saturn really wasn't needed to improve the experience. There are other parallels such as launch price, but going into parallels would be going on a tangent. What matters is that the Saturn was a great system even though it wasn't needed. I have some lofty hopes for the 360.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Disneyland.

Wes, you're off your nut. You're telling me that development costs will somehow go down for next-gen consoles because of the increased power? Do I really have to link to Greg Costikyan? Look at those graphs! We just plain do not have the tools to deal efficiently with all of this processing power, and this is doubly true in the games industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would have thought that a lot of the things you say about the next generation would have been true of this generation.

I suppose a lot of our current third person action games and first person shooters, the ones without the cleverest artists and programmers, were better than the previous crop? Maybe! It still hasn't resulted in the best experiences, overall.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about development costs, I'm talking about power. Take the concept of Shadow of Colossus and put that concept on a newer system instead of an old one and it should be easier to get that concept across. Is that not true? What am I missing here? Take the concept of the First Person shooter and try to do that on the NES. Is it not easier to create a First Person Shooter on the Xbox than it is on the NES? Seems like it should be to me.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, every system with enough money thrown at it will get a few good games.

Good games are just bound to happen.

Strangely enough.

The similarity problems aren't that they're causing the good games not to exist, but that they're wasteful of precious resources we already have. I.E. They make old systems obsolete when, in reality, those old systems are quite capable as well. What's the point of bumping a game up to a new console when the old consoles are good enough to suffice? Here is an excerpt that I find mostly amusing and maybe a bit relevant:

Gamespot wrote:
Glistening sweat droplets that actually streaked down Shaq's face in real time (we saw it happen during a close-up replay) have us convinced that, for the next generation of consoles, sweat effects are the new lens flare

I don't care. Some people might. But there are a lot of other things I could be buying for $400 that don't add excessive amounts of sweat to things I already like.

I know you're being contrarian for (well, mostly) the sake of seeing where it goes, but really. The bottom line will always be, "What can the next generation do for us? And, is it worth it?"

3D was a big improvement. It was. Even if it was ugly, it provided new experiences. Your VF2 example sings to this effect. This generation was less of an improvement: at best, it increased the level of immersion we had with 3D. What's this next generation going to do?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm not talking about development costs, I'm talking about power. Take the concept of Shadow of Colossus and put that concept on a newer system instead of an old one and it should be easier to get that concept across. Is that not true? What am I missing here? Take the concept of the First Person shooter and try to do that on the NES. Is it not easier to create a First Person Shooter on the Xbox than it is on the NES? Seems like it should be to me.

-Wes

No. Because things are expected to be higher resolution which means more work for artists and modelers. If Shadow of the Collosus was released for the 360, people would be disappointed by it, regardless of how smooth the framerate.

I mean, I wouldn't mind. But your average gamer would.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
This is an interesting point that you're bringing up inadvertently. If grass swaying in virtual wind and sand being kicked up by your horse are things that help to create a better experience shouldn't we be looking forward to the next gen? In the next generation these things will no longer be features on the back of the big-budget games. They'll be standard in all games because doing them won't need to be added at the expense of other cool ideas the designers can come up with.

What other cool ideas where cut from the game to add those though? It doesn't take rocket science and serious number crunching to animate some grass swaying or have a few small sand cloud textures pop up around the horses hooves when it runs across sand. It just takes a little creative thought. The team behind Ico and Shadow are a small group of guys who make due with less not because they're forced to but because it's better for them creatively in the long run to not just let their ideas run wild. A little self cencorship never hurt anybody. In fact, you almost always get a better product when forced to look and what you absolutely can and can't do. When this comes to game designers you end up with a better product because it forces them to think creatively. Unless they aren't very good game designers to begin with. Making an excellent game with less would be a good testing rubric for wannabe game developers to take who want to get into the industry and make big budget games.

SuperWes wrote:
This also cuts into my argument against the best artists artists and programmers defining the best games. I'm pretty sure I disagree with this. I think that good art assets and intellegent programming will be less important in the next generation. If a game like Shadow of Colossus pushes the PS2 to its limits and is only possible when created by teams with great skill, won't the next generation make experiences like this easier to create? If anything, smart programmers and great artists are more important when you have less power. When you have less power to work with, you have to come up with intellegent and creative ways of doing things.

I've heard developers say repeatedly that the main crux of next-gen development will rest on the talents and resources of the art teams behind the games. The programmers aren't going to be the ones designing all those high resolution textures and models, they're just going to be making sure things fit together like they should and the framerate doesn't skip. I'm not quite sure how your argument of "More power" equates to automatically better art assets. That kind of thing isn't just rendered on the fly, it requires people slaving behind a computer screen for thousands of hours to create. With high resolutions being expected by everyone the strain on good artists will only be moreso because it will more difficult to make things look as good at those high resolutions. Ico and Shadow used less pixels per model in their games than most modern games out there, yet managed to pull it off because they had good artists behind it. You can do more with less in the next generation as you can in this current one, I'm sure, but I foresee a lot of wasted potential coming up in that area because everyone will be more concerned with making sure their games don't look like dodgy pieces of shit on a 42 inch plasma television than actually figuring out how to compensate for things and save time and energy.

In short, I don't see much self restriction from developers happening when every game they make is expected to be a huge AAA hit.

SuperWes wrote:
Did you know that the Colossi (sp?) in Shadow of Colossus vary in size depending on their speed? The faster Colossi have to be smaller in order to keep the processor strain down and the larger Colossi have to move slow for the same reason. This type of design decision was based on the limitations of the hardware and it's the kind of thing that only a skilled team can make. With more power they wouldn't have had those limitations and could have let their mind run free with creativity.

Yeah I knew that, but I had read that it was more an aesthetic design decision to keep things varied and natural feeling. Large creatures would have to move slower to keep the same sense of scale and weight you would attribute to them. I'm not really seeing how with more power the development team could've expanded their vision of the game when they're already doing it well enough on the PS2.

SuperWes wrote:
Many of the things mentioned here (invisible walls, animation issues, getting hung on level geometry, and - to some extent - load times) are design issues rather than issues of system power. These things will continue to exist in the next gen unless somehow a new generation of designers that can create levels and design games such that these things are more transparent.

I was being sarcastic with those comments but thanks for replying anyways. And designers are already making games today without those things so I know it isn't a matter of system power, it's simply that everyone is expecting these next gen games to be huge hits right out the door that any little design niggles such as though will only be more transparent to the player.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone actually met an "average gamer?"
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet them all the time.

Good people, mostly.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
You know, every system with enough money thrown at it will get a few good games.

This is bullshit. N*Gage, the 3DO, the CD-i, Gizmondo, the Jaguar, and the Jag CD are proof of that.

player 2 wrote:
They make old systems obsolete when, in reality, those old systems are quite capable as well.

Well, looking at this in a different light, after the PS3 and Xbox 360 come out smaller indie and niche game developers will be given much more freedom to release what they want on the current systems. Think about what happened when the PS2 came out. The PS1 saw games it would have never seen otherwise. Board Game: Top Shop, Gekioh, Cross Road Crisis, Puzzle Star Sweep, Team Buddies. Roll this up to PS2 and we might finally see the SNK games that Sony disallowed from their console. It's happened before, it may happen again. Sony's already saying that they dropped PSOne support too early. Believe it or not, Tony Hawk 3 sold more copies for the PSOne than it did for PS2. This is a game that most all of us would have played on next generation systems, but apparently there were enough people out there who hadn't moved on yet to buy 2.10 million copies compared to the PS2's 2.07 million.

player 2 wrote:
I don't care (about sweat). Some people might. But there are a lot of other things I could be buying for $400 that don't add excessive amounts of sweat to things I already like.

Sweat may not seem like much, but it's a big advancement for sports games. Sports games are all about graphics. People want to see exactly what they see on TV and sweat is a part of that. Watch the video above. Realistic cloth movement is another part of it, and that's in there. The next generation of sports games looks like an equal leap as it was when we jumped to NFL 2K on the Dreamcast. That game was so impressive that even I bought it.

Looking beyond sports games look at Kameo. It was originally an N64 game that got bumped back to the Gamecube, got bumped again to the Xbox then again to the Xbox 360. By all accounts this game should look like trash and play like something from three generations ago. But look at the images with fields full of 1,000 enemies at once. The graphics on these 1,000s enemies may not be much better than what we've currently got, but having that many enemies at once an experience that only the next generation will be able to provide. Doesn't this screen kind of negate the argument that the next generation is only offering slightly updated versions of the experiences we've got right now?

What about this one?

(Look in the sky)

This is the kind of stuff that I want to be a part of!

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That new Spartan: Total Warrior game has battlefields with like a hundred enemies at once.

Just sayin'.

(Kameo looks pretty cool too)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that whole shimmery bloom thing is kinda annoying.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Man, this reminds me of Angry God Bowling so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That screenshot looks kind of stupid, actually. There's no variation at all between the individual character models so it looks like a really bad photoshop copy and paste job.

I look at Kameo and it looks good but then I remember how Star Fox Adventures looked compared to how it played.

I have no reason to change my expectations as Conker's Bad Fur Day was really terrible too.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Kameo art design is pretty awful, isn't it? I'd take "low-res" Beyond Good & Evil art over that any time. Actually, that "sweat is the new bloom" statement might be right on; with art departments going nuts on sweat and "realistic cloth" and individual eyebrow hairs while the basics (like realistic movement and environmental interaction) are still missing, these games are going to be totally overdone graphically (Think Deus Ex: IW) and all the messier for it.
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion reminds me of how, when I was younger, I'd worry that video games would become more and more graphically realistic until they simply looked real, which would be a terrible thing. I still feel that way, but I'm no longer worried about it. Developers will always find ways to use fun art styles that either take advantage of or ignore the more advanced technology.

--

I never understand why anyone cares about a new platform until it's been out for a few years and has more than a handful of games worth playing. Assuming that even happens--some systems never do amass enough good unique titles to get my attention, such as XBOX. Entering the game late also has big advantages if you're on a budget.

The only system I ever wanted before its release was Super Nintendo, because Nintendo Power had this poster showing screenshots from all kinds of upcoming games that you could just tell would be amazing (and they were). Of course, it still took me 3-4 years to get a SNES.

Last edited by wourme on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
This is the kind of stuff that I want to be a part of!

With that, you have a point. Consider the giant robot battle at the end of Zone of the Enders 2, which attempted such a feat and horribly embarassed itself, both with intense slowdown and painful mission objectives.

That doesn't mean that this game is going to do it right; looks kind of stupid to me. But yes, perhaps this generation will provide things like that. Hopefully we'll see realistic life (as Oblivion promises), or larger scope and grandeur, or more focused games with more detail than anything we see before.

But I'm pessimistic. I don't think it will happen - not for a while, at least. The first year or two will be graphics busting bullshit, just like it always is. After that, maybe developers will, you know, do something. But will they want to do it on the 360 when they've got more to work with on the PS3 and a unique controller with the Revolution?

At least a few will. Probably not enough for me to care. We'll see.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean. it's just.

why should i care?

nintendo's revolution is attempting to give me a new video gaming experience, with games previous models of game machines just weren't capable of, and an experience i can share with my mother without a wall of fifteen buttons getting in the way.

the playstation 3 or xbox 360 proposes to give me the same 3D action game i might have played a thousand times already, except now with a hundred more enemies on the screen.

why should i care, really? why should i get excited about playing the same games with a steeper admission fee?

are we really going to have any experiences with the ps3 or xbox 360 that the original systems weren't capable of giving us? they have the same controllers as their predecessors, even (albeit stupidly re-shaped). do sony and microsoft really have anything to offer me other than bigger numbers?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes isn't saying anything that radical. I'm not too excited about the PS3 or 360, but I certainly agree it increases possibilities and that something with the graphic quality and number of AI routines simply could not be done on a current system, regardless of how good Kameo actually turns out. It seems pretty obvious to me that good games will come out of this new potential, and even if most end up suffocating under the new weight (assuming they get made at all), there'll be a handful that will be some of the most amazing things we've played. Just like every console generation, really.

Elder Scrolls 4 is the only interesting game for the next generation as far as I'm concerned, and there's no way it could have been done on current hardware. Sure, it's just an update of ES3, as Deesgaea might lament, but ES3 is possibly the best incomplete experiment we have. Current hardware simply couldn't handle what ES3 tried to do in terms of immersiveness. Xbox 360 looks like it might be able to finish what ES3 started. There's also bound to be more games like it. That's all that Wes is saying, I think.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guh. Wes is just being contrarian.

The real issue is "what kind of new things can the 360 and the PS3 do for us that the old systems can't? And, fuck, why should I care about those things?"

You've highlighted one: we can have a new level of immersion. We can have real, living worlds. The robustness of these worlds lead to new forms of exploration. Of completely fictional places with fictional rules. Places that don't exist. Existing with gamephysics that were madeup by some nerd that spends too much time modelling things. They can push more numbers and figure out more routines!

UGH.

The way I see it is that games need to stop masturbating over themselves. I don't care if you can make your old games bigger and better. I really don't give a fuck. All I play now is Street Fighter III which is really just the natural evolution of Street Fighter II which was released 15 years ago. I don't know what that means, exactly, but I do know it means that we have yet to exploit the power we have right now.

_Marcel Duchamp
disneyland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
The real issue is "what kind of new things can the 360 and the PS3 do for us that the old systems can't? And, fuck, why should I care about those things?"

It's good to care about anti-aliasing and aniso filtering arriving on console. These are fundamentals. We're not leaving the current style of 3D acceleration for a few years, right? Across everything that plays a new video game today, the same tier of technology is still running its cycle. Polygons and textures!

But good god man, when you see a new 3D game, you know, one you want to play, running with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering...my eyes! The image quality kicks ass. The image quality. It is a vast improvement. I think today's 3D artists are doing some great work, so this idea of AA and aniso on console, fulltime in 360's case, to clean up the work of those artists—work that gets kicked in the groin by easily-remedied technology gaffes…I'll happily take that fix to console's 3D quality. Shimmering textures and jagged edges suck.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's good to care about anti-aliasing and aniso filtering arriving on console. These are fundamentals.

merriam webster wrote:
fundamental
Function: noun
1 : something fundamental; especially : one of the minimum constituents without which a thing or a system would not be what it is

Shocked
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disneyland! You came back, just for me!
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Disneyland a joke account?

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disneyland's post is a good example of why we DON'T need new systems. The whole PC Gamer scene of "my system can push more polygons than yours" isn't in any way the most important thing that next generation games will offer. Seriously, if all you play games for is visual fidelity you should probably watch DVDs instead because they are leaps and bounds ahead from a visual standpoint. Really games can never hope to catch up.

It's not about just looking better, being in higher resolution, and doing crazy dick-slapping shit-mapping. It's about using the power in the new consoles to present us with things that simply aren't possible on current consoles. Think we're at the point where anything is possible? Look at Fable. It was an ambitious game that was held back by technological limitations (and a few design limitations, but that's beside the point). Peter Molyneux promised us vast go-anywhere landscapes with trees that could be cut down and replanted and we ended up with linear go-one-way hallways and trees that look pretty but don't do much else. Peter's reasoning was that the game ran at about 20% when it had to do all of the tree caculations on top of the game calculations so it was dropped. In the next generation these trees may become a reality.

And dess, you've got to realize that innovation in interface is just one possible innovation. I refuse to believe that First Person Shooters, 3rd Person Action Games, Sports Games, Driving Games, Strategy Games, and Music Games are all that's out there. With power comes more possibility and with possibility comes the ability to make games that we may have never thought would be games. Look at Katamari Damacy. That design would not have been done justice on the PS1. In some ways, innovating through interface is the cheap way out. They can do the same old thing in a brand new way and call it innovative.

If the hype is to be believed, Metal Gear Solid 4 will put you in the middle of a battlefield where Snake will try to complete an objective of his own that has nothing to do with either side of the conflict. Because he's Neutral, Snake will have the ability to switch back and forth between the two opposing sides and even create sub-allilances within the two sides. And all of this will happen naturally (hopefully) instead of through some scripted story. You will create the threads of the story yourself through any of your actions that are seen by the enemies. This sounds really cool, and it's something that will only be possible with more power.

Maybe I'm optimistic, but I do feel like we'll see great things in the next generation that weren't possible in this one. Unlike Wourme, I tend to buy systems at their launch and (other than the PSP) I have yet to be disappointed.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
If the hype is to be believed, Metal Gear Solid 4 will put you in the middle of a battlefield where Snake will try to complete an objective of his own that has nothing to do with either side of the conflict. Because he's Neutral, Snake will have the ability to switch back and forth between the two opposing sides and even create sub-allilances within the two sides. And all of this will happen naturally (hopefully) instead of through some scripted story. You will create the threads of the story yourself through any of your actions that are seen by the enemies. This sounds really cool, and it's something that will only be possible with more power.

i just worry that when we start to talk about things in terms of numbers and processing power, we overlook how crucial good design is to game development.

i mean. i'm not really sure hideo kojima knows how to tell a story without cutscenes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

i mean. i'm not really sure hideo kojima knows how to tell a story without cutscenes.

The cutscenes seem more like an outlet for his love of movies(almost everything in MGS is), although I do feel it can be kinda forced at times. He very literally makes games he would like to play(and watch).
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed the High Def era.

Disneyland, are you one of the Remix Generation?

Right on, man. Right on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katamari could've been done on the PS1 probably just as well as it is now.

or the N64 for that matter.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
katamari could've been done on the PS1 probably just as well as it is now.

or the N64 for that matter.

Care to explain? Have you noticed the load times? Have you noticed the simple geometry? These things the way they are for a reason.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is Disneyland a joke account?"

"basically."

Oh you guys, always with the love.

I'm happy to have stirred the ire again. My sentiments are not part of a joke. They are a much-needed dose of perspective. What Law of Gaming states that a player cannot be a fan of games as both an interactive and artistic medium? Correct, no such law exists, and again I have to ask whether you guys have faith in your favorite active game designers. Obviously we want alluring and intelligent experiences that leave lasting memories, and what better way to explore a cutting edge concept than to marry it with cutting edge presentation? And more importantly, how could you possibly consider it a bad thing when the game designer can express a more refined version of his vision? Every generation will have mundane sequel reproduction and cookie cutter concept biting (that's Industry), and every generation will have a small selection of Katamarian exploration. I'm all for the explorers having an improved vessel to chase their vision.

I mean, the graphics and sound artists that Miyamoto surrounds himself with on a high end project...honestly now, don't you think they're ready for some new horsepower to play with? Of course. And obviously, in this case, that doesn't inherently damn the game to banal fluff and unfulfilled grandeur.

Quote:
Look at Fable. It was an ambitious game that was held back by technological limitations...Peter Molyneux promised us vast go-anywhere landscapes with trees that could be cut down and replanted and we ended up with linear go-one-way hallways and trees that look pretty but don't do much else. Peter's reasoning was that the game ran at about 20% when it had to do all of the tree calculations on top of the game calculations so it was dropped. In the next generation these trees may become a reality.

That, right there, is pretty much it. These are big, powerful systems. You have to expect an attempt to capitalize on that power through gameplay. It's really not an abstract concept. There's room for plenty of lower level innovation and mid-level evolution--and high-end epics that let dudes like Molyneux flex his real ideas. My previous arguments in favor of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering stand. These are really standard image quality terms that you should know and understand by now. Pick any favorite 3D console title from the last decade, and you’ll see your game is plagued by jagged edges and shimmering. It’s universal, because it’s a hardware deficiency solved with the flip of a switch. You won’t see visual errors removed from game worlds using “dick-slapping shit-mapping.” You’ll see them mitigated when the switch is flipped on, on new systems.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Snakejimbo
Fistful of Gears
Last Snake Standing

Anyways

The PSP was the start of the OMG! HIDEF! age. The PSP is the first and only system that I have ever felt like I may have made a mistake purchasing. Emulation is the only thing that keeps me going with it.

Then again, the DS is probably the best system purchase I have made since my DC. There are more upcoming DS games that I want than all of the announced next generation game. Unfortunately there is at least one game for each system that is probably a deal sealer for me (although depending on the min specs of ES4 Oblivion on a PC, the Xbox2 may lose me).

After the DS Nintendo really has me looking forward to the Rev. I mean, the GC was the last current gen console I bought, but I am confident the Rev will be the first this time around…

just don’t hold me to that.

EDIT: Disneyland, as always has a point. Removing restrictions always has its benefits. This time it seems to come with more draw backs than previously is what has me nervous.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
This is indeed the High Def era.

Disneyland, are you one of the Remix Generation?

Right on, man. Right on.
Rrrowr! Kitty can scratch!

I always thought the problem with Fable was the offensive and tedious morality system?

Which kind of goes to show that technology isn't much of a cure-all any way you slice it.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disneyland, what you need to realize is that people aren't saying that they don't like having better graphics. I mean, if something can look better it's hard to turn that down. What people are saying is that the same old shit with a nicer coat of paint doesn't make that shit any more appealing. My argument is that better paint is going to make new shit possible (like how I kept up that analogy?) like we've never seen before, and the reason I bring it up at all is that there's been so much focus on better graphics and new effects that people are starting to forget that the stuff that actually matters is going to get enhanced alongside those things. Emotion. Experience. Immersion. Etc.

When you talk about how people are really looking forward to 'sup mapping and megawhozit antialiasing you're totally missing the point. People don't really care about what effects are used and what's done, they only care about the finished product. It's all about the product not the process. Someone using pimp mapping to improve the visual fidelity of their terrible art assets doesn't really make a game any more appealing than someone who isn't throwing any effects on top of their really well designed art.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Sony Europe is farming out all of their pimp mapping assets to a Russian graphics sweatshop. Sad state of affairs.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Snakejimbo
Fistful of Gears
Last Snake Standing

And who can forget Snakes on a Plane?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
shapermc wrote:
Snakejimbo
Fistful of Gears
Last Snake Standing

I was following a different line of though. Then again, Yojimbo retold from on a plane would have been interesting to see attempted.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
shapermc wrote:
Snakejimbo
Fistful of Gears
Last Snake Standing

word
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.insertcredit.com/wiki/doku.php?id=pimp_mapping
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you, Disneyland. Don't ever leave.

See, the problem is not one of technology, it is one of culture. If there wasn't this tendency of expanding to fill your container, a new console would have basically no downsides, in terms of the kinds of games that are created. However, because of the current culture of the games industry, to really be next-gen, you need high dynamic range realtime sweatmapping or whatever. Small development shops with the potential to develop really interesting things can't afford high-definition map-fapping*, and out they drop. You lose a lot of potentially awesome smaller stuff, just because the culture is dictating that everything has to be bigger than everything else.

Nintendo has found a brilliant way to attempt to change this culture, while simultaneously pandering to it -- change the technology used to interact with games, and move the technology fetish over to that end of things. We shall see how that works out.

And incidentally -- you probably could've pulled off Katamari Damacy with Doom-era tech. But once we hit Quake, and mixing sprites and polygons was no longer cool, we had to wait 8 years for the technology to catch up to the point where we could have that many truly 3D objects on the screen at once.

* If we're not careful, I'm going to end up starting a thread to make up technical terms for graphical effects that don't exist.
** Toups, you fuck, you beat me to linking Snakes on a Plane.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
http://www.insertcredit.com/wiki/doku.php?id=pimp_mapping

Right Back at'cha.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: