The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubisoft and the art of games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Ubisoft and the art of games Reply with quote

"On November 3 in New York City, the Film Society of Lincoln Center's Walter Reade Theatre will hold a special presentation focusing on Ubisoft and the art of games. The event will feature a hands-on player's lounge (which starts at noon) as well as onstage presentations of in-game and CGI footage from current and forthcoming Ubisoft titles. King Kong, Brothers In Arms and Prince of Persia will all be featured. General admission is $10. Students are $6. For more info, go to the web site."

Not quite the company that I was expecting to give this presentation. Then again after reading this perhaps they are making advances.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

It's important to note that this is about the art "of" games not games "as" art. Every game contains art regardless of whether it's by EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, or some guy who just learned how to use flash. You could even argue that text adventures contain art, assuming they throw in an Ascii title screen or something.

It's a shame that they're concentrating on CG Intros, because I kinda feel like we should be moving away from those and toward in-engine cutscenes or even in-game cutscenes. Oh well, at least Ubisoft is celebrating their artists.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am bothered that I never picked up BG&E

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

games as art is becoming the most boring, no self esteem piece of shit sidebar among "intelligent gamers" ever.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG&E is a pretty good game. Not fantastic, but above par. You can probably still get it new pretty cheap.

dhex, you are right, I read that so wrong.
dhex wrote:
games as art is becoming the most boring, no self esteem piece of shit sidebar among "intelligent gamers" ever.

Well, then ... fix it.
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider BG&E pretty fantastic, myself.
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all you guys who have played BG&E for making me envious.

_Marcel Duchamp
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really care for BG&E. I'd offer you my copy (for Mutant League Football, say), but it's sealed up and buried in a box.

But yeah, seriously, it's everywhere, and it's cheap. Just buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ajutla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

I concur.

ApM wrote:
I didn't really care for BG&E.

I concur to this one, too.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never played bg&e.

Quote:
Well, then ... fix it.

huh. maybe. i dunno. it's a pretty short article. or very long. i'm going to need a lot of dope either way.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God damn it you guys, it's been covered. Kind of.

I don't really think of videogames as art so much as I think of videogames as an art. When I hear "games as art" I immediately think of some coffee shop arcade with a bunch of pompous art house freaks with spiked hair and black rimmed glasses discussing the merits of Ms. Pac-Man as a response to gender discrimination through feminism and the role of women in games.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't bother me. people murder texts with politics all the time. some folks make it a full time career on both sides of the aisle.

it's the "if only we could convince everyone else that this is VERY IMPORTANT" that's totally useless. you have to bring about the age of the spirit on your own, kids. the father is in the son and all that jazz. aderack seems to have hit all the major points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:

ApM wrote:

I'll third that.

Or, well. It was okay. The game world was sufficiently busy; that's all I saw it adding to the table. Certainly not the "OMG if you play this you'll totally understand how games can be art" game some people have said it is. It's just a nice-looking, busy cartoon.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to play BG&E before and can't get past the forty minute mark. I think I just don't like the kinds of games Ubisoft tends to make. Or rather they way they make their games, not exactly the games themselves. Lot of production but it's missing something.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Beyond Good & Evil. It reminded me of 80's cartoons like the city of lost gold. Sort of weird and out of nowhere but really evocative and imaginative.

I mean. It's a weird choice to hold up as an argument for the games as art donkey show. But it's got its merits.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's charming is what it is. It's just.. that's all it is.

And photography is fun. We need more photography games.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the game/art things I've seen have focused on more traditional materials which exist outside the game itself. Painting, concept drawings, etc. It seems odd to me to argue for the inclusion of a whole medium into an institution like "art." The products will speak for themselves, in any case.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

I kind of dig Momus. I mean, he wrote a song called "Space Jews".

And he friended my Livejournal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
ajutla wrote:

ApM wrote:

I'll third that.

Can I fourth this without looking like a poser?

I thought it was alright, but I got lost too easily. I think it's because I've been playing the Gamecube version where there's no "map" button. Would this make a big difference?

They should remake BG&E for the DS.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
ajutla wrote:

ApM wrote:

I'll third that.

Can I fourth this without looking like a poser?

i didn't play it.

zarf would fifth, though.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And he friended my Livejournal.

huh. that's fucking random.

and a good song title: "momus friended my livejournal (tgq edit)"

i may steal that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
[
it's the "if only we could convince everyone else that this is VERY IMPORTANT" that's totally useless. you have to bring about the age of the spirit on your own, kids. the father is in the son and all that jazz. aderack seems to have hit all the major points.

The problem is it may seem important to us because we see the "potential(s)" of gaming and its malleability, but to people who don't play much it still doesn't mean anything outside of a few minutes of fun, overcomplicated controls that they can't be bothered to learn, and in story-centred games a bunch of cardboard cut-out characters with the conversational prowess of a ... not very articulate thing. The important games also have to be relevant to people, ie. low-entry point, entertaining. ETC.

Like a good Disney/Pixar film which caters to all ages. When you start getting games that everyone plays (it sells like the Sims) and which are made in an artistic / emotional fashion (that ENGAGES with the player*), then we can start talking about games being relevant.

*Which is surely what interaction should be about? I.e it is subversive and makes the player think about how they are playing and what they are doing, in the game and in their everyday life. (Ie. Like Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid 3 comment on how much / little you are killing enemies, well what if there were games that made you think about what you were saying to the other characters in the same way (and so makes you think about your emotional needs in your own life. Or made you question *why* Mario is running through 50 levels of almost certain death to rescue the "princess" who only rewards him with a cake?, is he a Masochist? - Okay, the Mario example is less relevant although I suppose it makes you think about the nature of games themselves. Aren't almost all games about running and jumping through hoops? For a weak reward? Wink
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really thought the concern was with convinving people who didn't believe games could be art that it was, but rather illustrating this for people who never really considered it.

There seems to be a growing discourse on the actual content of games, and the critical analysis of that, and it's good to see.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Like a good Disney/Pixar film which caters to all ages. When you start getting games that everyone plays (it sells like the Sims) and which are made in an artistic / emotional fashion (that ENGAGES with the player*), then we can start talking about games being relevant.

The people who don't see games as art are the same people who don't see Pixar (or any other animated movies) as art are the same people who don't see Graphic Novels (or any other type of comic-related storytelling) as art. It's worthless to take someone else's opinion on the matter as personal simply because it's just something that a lot of people don't care enough to have an opinion on.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Ketch wrote:

The people who don't see games as art are the same people who don't see Pixar (or any other animated movies) as art are the same people who don't see Graphic Novels (or any other type of comic-related storytelling) as art. It's worthless to take someone else's opinion on the matter as personal simply because it's just something that a lot of people don't care enough to have an opinion on.

-Wes

film noir, sincity, and more recent pixar films like the incredibles are changing people's minds.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem is it may seem important to us because we see the "potential(s)" of gaming and its malleability, but to people who don't play much it still doesn't mean anything outside of a few minutes of fun, overcomplicated controls that they can't be bothered to learn, and in story-centred games a bunch of cardboard cut-out characters with the conversational prowess of a ... not very articulate thing.

well, yeah. someone ever turn you into a sports fan of something you don't follow? can you see the grace and the glory of a well-evened football game? the poetic struggle of a deep and hard running game hitting an on the floor defense and pushing and sweating for every yard? man against man in a struggle that is timeless, but where every second counts, every drop of blood and sweat the lubricant of one side's thrust for victory?

phew. i need to take a cold shower.

anyway, my point being, it's hard to sell someone on the general merits of a field where they feel no merits. and more importantly, let's say you sell them on those merits - outside of making it easier for us, as fans, to get laid...what is won? do people play katamari damacy because it is artful - or capital ARRRGH art - or because it is seemless engaging, if distinctly lacking in hypermasculine eroticism?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until just now, I had the impression that BG&E had a general sort of retrospective respect--apparently I was quite mistaken. Interesting to know. I don't know about its worthiness to represent video games as art or its importance in the industry, but neither of these things really matters much to me.

The things I really liked about the game were the creative world designs, the polished presentation (including some really excellent music), the fact that it took itself seriously and the characters weren't completely stupid and/or irritating, and that it continually piled on more artistic touches, new gameplay elements, and interesting areas to explore long after I was already satisfied.

Other than ICO, BG&E is pretty much the only 3D platformer that I list among my favorite video games. I think that a few others are fun and contain artistic merit, though, such as Jumping Flash, Ratchet and Clank, and, well, those are the only ones that come to mind.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people like BG&E because it's charasmatic. I mean it was an underdog, to start with, but also a very polished and approachable game which does some things a little differently without straying outside genre conventions.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I mean it was an underdog, to start with

yes, it was.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Underdogs is actually when I first heard about the game. I mean, I'd seen it in stores before but never given it a second thought. I suppose I was sort of surprised to see it get underdog status so fast and plus the review made it sound a lot like something I'd like.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

From the IC Shadow of the Colossus review:

“The question of whether or not something is art is really a tired one, at this point, and at all points; if there exists one man who would aim a shotgun in the name of screaming ‘videogames are not art,’ then I could very well be the man to say ‘well, neither is anything else.’”

-Tim Rogers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: