The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foundational Art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Foundational Art Reply with quote

I was asked by one of my TAs to bring into discussion a videogame that introduced the topic of "Videogames as Art". I know this has been brought up before, but I wanted to consolidate a list of games that showed themselves as "art" in an academic sense. Help is appreciated. Thanks

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only truly artistic game ever developed was The Last Eichhof, by Swiss freeware developers Alpha Helix.

Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish, here? What games will convince people who don't think videogames are art that it is? I don't know. Try Fly Guy, or some of the shit on runme.org, or something. Here's a rock-paper-scissors game with extra pretentiousness -- bonus points for using the word "hegemony"!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooty elitism isn't going to help me out.

My TA is asking me to bring in a couple games to help her visualize games as art. I know that we can take any number of games and look at them from an artistic standpoint, but the majority of people, including important people in the art world, have a hard time grasping this.

As I said, I know this topic has been brought up many times, but I'm just looking for specific ones that help people in the field of academia (my Art TA in particular) conceptualize the artistic value of games.

_Marcel Duchamp
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rez if you have it. That's the most striking example.

Other than that, I don't know. What kind of time constraints are we talking here? Something like SH2 can only be appreciated after playing for extended periods of time. Ico might work a little better...
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to get at art people is to hit them with a distinct and consistent style, I think; something like Out of This World or Killer 7 (and maybe Ico, though there you lose the visual shock and you need to plan a more careful argument), perhaps, as those provide a narrative. If you went with something like Katamari or Cubivore though, it'd be a completely different argument; I mean, are you trying to present them with something that follows existing art forms and narrative, or something that defines the art of gaming along the lines of player/software interaction? A little more background on the situation and what exactly you're trying to present would be helpful to me.

You could always take in the Tim Rodgers MGS 2 review too, just to have some quotes and concepts to brandish. It'll at least stun them in confusion long enough for you to make a hasty escape unseen.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit, I forgot about that.

Yeah. Definitely Killer 7. Done.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Snooty elitism isn't going to help me out.

My TA is asking me to bring in a couple games to help her visualize games as art. I know that we can take any number of games and look at them from an artistic standpoint, but the majority of people, including important people in the art world, have a hard time grasping this.

it would seem snooty elitism is your enemy in this case no matter where you look.

that said: katamari would be a good choice. so would silent hill 2.

i don't understand the desire in some people to prove to other people that games are art, or can be, or whatever. if they can't conceive of dozens of people working on something and providing an experience akin to a cross between film, theatre and some sort of situationist prank involving a week old salmon and bear testicles, then fuck em and feed em fish.

not that i really think games are art, or that it matters either way.

if you had serious balls, you'd bring in a 2600 and custer's revenge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i don't understand the desire in some people to prove to other people that games are art, or can be, or whatever. if they can't conceive of dozens of people working on something and providing an experience akin to a cross between film, theatre and some sort of situationist prank involving a week old salmon and bear testicles, then fuck em and feed em fish.

in the established art world, video games are still touchy. they have yet to establish themselves.

also: i have killer 7. i don't know exactly what i'd say or how i'd present it. it seems like it'd be confusing. but past that barrier, i think it's a good choice (considering i have it, and i'd have to borrow a playstation to do katamari or ico)...

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a surprising twist of fate, the established art world is still touchy in the world at large.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
in a surprising twist of fate, the established art world is still touchy in the world at large.

the established art world impacts every form of media in the world. normally, between different forms of art it becomes this symbiotic thing and helps everyone, but for videogames it's just a leeching effect. i'm not sure when it'll happen, but as soon as the art world recognizes videogames as its bastard child then heads will fly.

and it will be glorious.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how so?

the heads will fly part, i mean.

and you're basically wrong, in any concrete sense. i have reams - if not gazzilizoids - of music that have fuck all to do with the art world. and so forth.

and come to think of it, there's plenty of shit that has been affected by games and vice versa. the whole circuit bending thing, for starters, and the rebirth of fm synthesis.

also, advertising. we are all mashups now. etc.

what i don't understand - or get, gut-wise - is that you think you can convince someone of the artfulness of a game who doesn't already have sympathy in that direction anymore than i can convince someone to refuse bag searches in the subway unless they're already versed in that whole constitution thing and have some degree of indignation left.

of course when you say established art world i think of the dinner scene in beetlejuice.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
i'm not sure when it'll happen, but as soon as the art world recognizes videogames as its bastard child then heads will fly.

Either that or there'll be an Electroplankton 2.

Or pieces of art will potentially start receiving yearly updates and sequels.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem here, is that most people believe they can judge wether something is art or not, at a glance, or certainly withint 5 minutes.

They can view a Dali painting in it's entirety, they can listen to Ride of the Valkyrie in less time than it takes to drink a coffee, even theatre and film, which normally take at least 90 minutes, are regarded as being instantly recognisable as art.

Most videogames require several hours for them to have this affect.

So here is my advice:

1) Forget Rez, it only works on acid heads and gamers who desperately want to call it art.

2) Kidnap your TA, and force them to play through Panzer Dragoon Saga in it's entirety. It can be done in 20 hours, and is a good example of games as art, via several means.

It's narrative is complex and well thought out, devoid of many other games cliches. It is really a classical tale of revenge and loss, with complex enemies, and there is no clear dichotomy between good and evil. Plus, it borrows cleverly from the works of Frank Herbert and his Dune books.

It's artistic in its visuals. It's style, its fictional culture, even it's hand painted water colour artwork, all scream to me art. It borrows from French artist Moebius, and various other famous painters. Hell, I can even see Dali in a lot of PDS artwork. And yet, it is also original, and carves its own unique niche.

It's music, classical, and with power. It also carefully combines several unqiue instruments, and it's use of pipes and wind instruments is rousing, in a veign similar to the aforementioned Valkyrie music. And then, it hits you with it's enchanting vocals. Here is where it reaches unsurpassed levels of genius, in that rather than using Latin, the operas of PDS are sung in a perfectly crafted fictional language of Germanic origin.

The entire game is like a refined combination of so many artistic works, and, once you have at least played a few hours, these are very apparent.

PDS combines all the classical forms of artistic experession: visual (painting, drawing, printing etc), music, literature, acting/film, and architecture. It is important to mention architecture, since PDS utilises several classical forms, and also attempts it's own more unique styles, such as the different kinds for various tribes and groups of settlers.

But above all else, it takes all of these artistic forms, and it combines them together into a gracefull and elegant single whole, and then multiplies it all by giving you control of the world. You interact with the art, affecting the art, becoming the art. Moreso, it is also a non-linear RPG, and my mere words cannot describe the sensation of flying over the ruins of Uru when they are draped in moonlight, of crossing the harsh desert barrens as giant shell covered worms arch across the morning skyline.

PDS is a work of art, both in what it uses, and in what new things it creates. By god man, if you cannot convince them with this, then there is no hope.

Feel free to print out my post, and use or quote any of the points I've just listed.

EDIT:
Oh, and show them my game, Trampoline Gunmen, I could do with more exposure!

Last edited by Szczepaniak on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Arzach, do you mean Jean Giraud/Gir/Moebius? As far as I know he's never gone by "Arzach" but he did do a comic with that title.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I corrected that, I was in a hurry. I meant Moebius, who has also done serious artwork other than the Arzach comic. You may also be able to spot several mistakes that creeped in due to me typing with such fervour.

Please excuse the typo.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you just got me wondering if the Panzer Dragoon art was perhaps lifted from Arzach; I've never read it, but I know it features similar flying creatures.

Although I had previously assumed that those PD illustrations were done specifically for the game.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
player 2 wrote:
i'm not sure when it'll happen, but as soon as the art world recognizes videogames as its bastard child then heads will fly.

Either that or there'll be an Electroplankton 2.

Or pieces of art will potentially start receiving yearly updates and sequels.

-Wes

I was actually thinking something like a game along the lines of Un Chien Andalou, but... yeah. Videogame "art installations" are kind of a new thing with Electroplankton. I like how it's more focused on being art, but that's... well... I think it falls into the same trappings that most early abstract art falls into: if you're resistant, you're done with it in 5 minutes, and you hate it.

I kind of think that Silent Hill as a good model for surrealist adventure, but that's pretty obvious. I also think that it doesn't have enough balls to jump out of the "omg, horror is cool" territory, and just go for straightup Freudian self exploration. That may be a safe route, too, but at least it's ground untraveled.

Sketchpanic wrote:
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Ha, I spelled your name wrong. But, to the point: I can't have her sit and play PDS for a lot of reasons. There has to be a simpler way. I can give a point by point about why writing is art, and I don't have to show her a novel. Poems work just as fine. There have to be a few games that are... equivalent. Maybe a MAME shooter? I still think K7 would be great, because it wants to be art more than that kid in the corner wants to be emo. It's just... I'm not sure how to condense a game that I haven't even finished and present it.

Also, dhex: the "heads will fly" bit was just hyperbole. I just thing amazing things will happen when the established art world tries to fuddle around in video games. Also:

dhex wrote:
of course when you say established art world i think of the dinner scene in beetlejuice.

That's not what I meant by established art world. Obviously.

_Marcel Duchamp

Last edited by player 2 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shit...

the beginning of half life 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Sketchpanic

You called me Sketchpanic, are you Tim Rogers in disguise? He wrote a column on wearing a "player 2" suit once.

Anyway, just show them the desert section, and quote what I wrote in the post, about how it contains the other elements, does new stuff, etc.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
player 2 wrote:
Sketchpanic

You called me Sketchpanic, are you Tim Rogers in disguise? He wrote a column on wearing a "player 2" suit once.

Anyway, just show them the desert section, and quote what I wrote in the post, about how it contains the other elements, does new stuff, etc.

Tim Rogers has a crush on his art TA?

Anyways: time isn't the only constraint. I don't have a Saturn. I don't have PDS. And I don't have $200 to purchase them.

_Marcel Duchamp
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet videos. Im sure there are internet videos of the game running, and of the music tracks.

Also, the fact that it costs so much, shows that people desire it, most likely for its artistic merit.

Failing that, you can download Trampoline Gunmen for free! Wink
Though it's not arty at all! Unless you think tramps are art.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I called you Sketch Panic first, and I've got emails to prove it. I was just polite about it, is all.

Seriously: Fly Guy is about as close to a videogame poem as you're gonna get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did? Aha! Yes! Now I remember, indeed, you did coin that phrase, clearly it was a case of others stealing it. Worry not ApM, whenever you need me to vouch for your creativity, simply let me know!

Also, Flyguy is excellent. I tried it, and it's one of those games that really makes you feel warm inside. Funny, and relaxing.

I'd say it's a good example to use, and like most of the best art in the world, it is free to view. Smile

EDIT:
Games as art, where's that game with a bouncing giraffe that IC mentioned ages back, and it had that French song playing in the background. That was poetic. Anyone else know which one I mean?

THE BOUNCE!!!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/221520

EDIT2:
Also, is it possible to save flash games to your HDD? Since I once found a flash game, that depicted the history of videogames, it was genius. The first level was B/W with no sound, and then it added sound, and colour, and scrolling backgrounds, and bonus levels. And with each addition, it had a history block, saying when each of these innovations came about. So it was like, 1979, the first bonus level in videogames, and you'd then play a bonus level. And then a level with scrolling background.

It was actualy tremendous fun as well, and I feel made a serious commentary on games.

I've searched the net, but the old site that hosted it no longer exists. Sad

I wonder if some saved it, or if it's gone forever.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website is BACK! And I have found it!

http://www.gameonweb.co.uk/goodies.htm#

Quick, everyone, go and play it. It is aces. I actually wish they would make a fully fledged version, with like a 150 levels, for maybe the GBA/PSP or possibly a modern system like the Revolution. It would be like a history lesson, examining great breakthroughs, before finally finishing off with a level dedicated to using the Revolution controller.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please not equate the concept of "art" with the so-called "Art World"?
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I mean, it depends on what kind of "art" you're trying to get videogames to be. For example, I'd guess that at least 90% of videogames adhere closely to the Futurist Manifesto--conflict, speed, and fascism. If you want art that changes the viewer, try the EyeToy games, which have the added advantage of making the viewer an integral component of the art itself. Narrative and visual styles are probably well covered by the previous responses.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, video games(all of them) actually do make you a part of their art. From the moment you pick up the controller and start interacting you're a part of the magic because that's what video games are all about, is exploring cause-and-effect between you and the game.

Player 2, if you want to convince someone that video games are an art form, then explain to them that video games are the art of exploring cause-and-effect. Much like literature is the art of language or whatever, or film is the art of motion(I don't really know what literature and film are the art of, but my point stands). Show them Killer 7, and explain it in terms of how the whole game is holistically built around that philosophy. Show them how the game is built around pushing buttons and seeing the results. Then tell them that's the basis of all games as an art form. Or something like that.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the one to come to the rescue, Mr. Mech. Thanks.

I don't necessarily think I'm trying to "convince" someone, as much as just show them the argumentation. Amy is very open to the idea, it's just that she's only had a little exposure a long time ago.

Also: do you all think that it's just about cause and effect? I think it could be something bigger. Either that, or I could reframe what cause and effect means. It seems really incredibly narrow for something so broad.

Hmm... we'll see. Btw, is that game exhibit still going on in one of the art museums in Chicago? I have to go there and check out a bunch of places for the class soon, maybe I'll check that out, too...

_Marcel Duchamp
Bai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Mr. Mechanical is on the right track here. The art of videogames is unlike the art of literature or the art of film. The aesthetic effect is different and you should begin by explaning that. All discussion should stem from this fundamental difference.

To cause and effect I'd add the importance of experience (something I mentioned in a different discussion forum) and how individual gaming moments seem to support a wholistic 'art' experience, ie. something is found 'between' the moments. Certainly you'd have to get this person to play a bit, not just watch. It would be very difficult to explain to someone through argument.

In terms of examples, Rez is the obvious one, although essentially a simple shooter in a fancy wrapper. Viewtiful Joe is similar. Animal Crossing demonstrates virtual world persistence well. Try those quirky, internet-based games too.

Obviously your examples must follow your argument and demonstrate 1. cause and effect and 2. experiential play...which is difficult to accept if hearing it for the first time and therefore your examples might have to deviate slightly from your argument to be convincing (in the psychological sense, not the rational sense). So you may have to make room for Rez and co.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by the aesthetic effect, Bai? Most games today with large budgets try to mimick that movie/cinema aesthetic in both presentation and quality. Though because CG cutscenes stopped being that impressive about eight years ago it isn't simply enough to make a game "movie-like". The only game recently that took the idea of making a game "cinematic" in concept and actually did something with it was Resident Evil 4 with its new approach to camera placement.

The first major aesthetic difference I can think of that seperates a game from something else would be the interactivity. The interactive element is what keeps video games from being a medium that is passively expressed or experienced because on a deeper level your brain is always keeping track of what you're currently doing, what you just did, and what you're going to do next. You have to constantly keep pressing buttons to see what happens next, gameplay-wise.

This isn't to say that video games are the only actively engaging medium. I get pretty engaged by a good book or movie, sometimes even the right painting or watercolor will stir things up from within. Just that video games require you to physically participate to reap the benefits, which can be anywhere from trance states to simple enjoyment at seeing how you've affected events and things within the gameworld. Great games know how to properly combine the two.

As far as what does it take to determine if something is a work of art, such as a video game? I don't know, what determines whether or not the watercolor I did in high school art class is a work of art or not? Mass opinion? I like to think not, because mass opinions change with the times and true works of art are immortal. No, it's what it stirs up from the inside and brings to the surface. If the works of Da Vinci or Orson Welles or the Beatles can make men weep with joy what does that say of those times when I feel sort of hollowed out and tired yet depressedly calm after playing Ico straight through? I'm happy that I saw what the game was trying to show me(even if it fumbled around a bit in doing so) and it brings forth very real feelings that I wouldn't have otherwise felt had I not played it to begin with. Is that not proof enough that a video game can be a work of its own art form? It is for me.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's steer this away for "what makes a game art" discussion.

Anyways, I think the cause and effect thing is all I really need. Empiricism tells me that all I know is A and B, but through videogames, I have a sense that it isn't just "frame 1, frame 2," but "frame 1, input, frame 2". This turn of events happens every time. It's a knowledge acquired subconsciously just by playing. Which, I guess, is the communication that the author/designer/director intends... right?

_Marcel Duchamp
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
It's a knowledge acquired subconsciously just by playing. Which, I guess, is the communication that the author/designer/director intends... right?

Bingo. It's kind of an inherent truth to the medium that even an author/designer/director might not actually realize in practice. And, it's input and response. Remember, two sides to the coin when the interactive element is involved.
Bai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By aesthetic effect I mean the effect by which the object affects the viewer. Interactivity was exactly what I meant by that. What do I mean by interactive? How does it achieve this? On what grounds is interactivity an 'aesthetic' quality? What does player 2 mean by knowledge 'subconsciously acquired'?...how importance is subsconcious feel (as opposed to rationality) in appreciation? Perhaps this could be explored further in the next issue!
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bai wrote:
By aesthetic effect I mean the effect by which the object affects the viewer. Interactivity was exactly what I meant by that. What do I mean by interactive? How does it achieve this? On what grounds is interactivity an 'aesthetic' quality? What does player 2 mean by knowledge 'subconsciously acquired'?...how importance is subsconcious feel (as opposed to rationality) in appreciation? Perhaps this could be explored further in the next issue!

Aesthetics are the feel. Like tangibles. The idea of causation (interactivity, cause effect, call response, etc. etc. etc.) is, in fact, quite opposite to tangibles. Empiricism all but denounced causation, actually. So!

What does that mean? A system revolving around cause and effect has both an aesthetic value and a deeper, nontangible value. You push up, you move up. Eventually it almost trains your mind. I know I drive with my left hand because moving with my left hand is just so goddamn natural. That kind of thing.

_Marcel Duchamp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: