The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dessgeega
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: dessgeega Reply with quote

my controllers are way too disorganized.

there's a pc engine controller, two hori digital pads, a playstation one controller and three ps2 controllers, a regular gamecube controller, a super joybox 5 and a commodore 64 plug-and-play. it's a mess.

the cords are all woven around each other in vaguely the order i used the controllers last, so playing a ps2 game requires me to first take out the pc engine controller, than the ps1, then finally the ps2. it's like a puzzle. they're all sort of using their bulk to keep the others in place, too, so when the playstation controllers are removed the hori pads slide out of place, possibly onto the floor. the cords are all intertwined, of course.

this is what i have to tangle with whenever i want to play a game.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they are all in one place.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mood's past.

Last edited by dessgeega on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in trouble now! You know you could have just subtly added it to your profile...

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a video of the first stage of psychic 5.

perhaps you've heard of this game! it appeared in a little gaming magazine called the gamer's quarter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are too many games i want to buy, right now.

i mean, that was pretty insensitive of them, to all come out at around the same time.

after spending a week deliberating, i finally bought taito memories gekan, primarily for akkanvader, gun frontier, and the satisfaction of having both halves of the taito memories collection. not even a day later, i found out that a north american release called "taito legends" has been planned, and this one includes UPL-developed retun of the invaders, my favorite space invaders sequel of all.

namco just released its "50th anniversary" compilation (not that the games are even close to that old) which features the first arcade-perfect home port of galaga 88 ever released (other than maybe the x68000 version), along with seven versions of pac-man i already own.

and then, there are the new releases i am frothing over - the only new releases i am actually interested in, and they all have the nerve to have releatively close release dates: gunster super heroes, myst V: end of ages, shadow of the colossus, and dig dug: digging strike.

i have little enough money! i've started putting stuff on ebay so that i might have some - no games, though, because my collection is small and deliberate and there's not much i'm willing to part with. unfortunately, nearly all of the valuable things i own are games or game consoles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i just went and bought this for ten dollars.

i couldn't help it; i was seduced by the words "superplay movies".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..For $10?!

Klonoa and Ace Combat are both pretty sharp, I'll tell you.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never played the klonoa on this namcollection, and i'm sorely looking forward to it. i played the first gameboy one start-to-finish, and the second one start-to-when i got frustrated with it.

i'm looking forward. it'd be good to have a copy of the original driller on hand, too, just for historical purposes. i'm interested in the bonus material too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Klonoa is such a good game. I like Klonoa 2, but the original is so much better.

If I had a modded PS2 and/or didn't already have Klonoa and Mr. Driller, I'd get it in a second. I probably will anyway if it's released in the US.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that i've finished shadow of the colossus, i have more time to give to dragon quest III, the gameboy color version of which i accquired used this past week.

i'm really enjoying it. both the game and the remake. the game itself is fantastic - my hero is a "tomboy". people keep calling her the "son of ortega" (a fallen hero) and then correcting themselves; i think this is actually a joke on the original game, which referred to you as the hero's son regardless of what gender you had selected. the gbc treatment is dazzling (pro-tip: the most drastic difference between the famicom/nes version and the gameboy color version is the former's menus are white text on black backgrounds, and the latter's menus are black text on white backgrounds): all of the enemies are beautifully animated, and the towns and castles are gorgeous.

i really love the later games of the gbc.

i put my dragon quest V game on hiatus to play this one. i've been playing that - also a fantastic game, particularly the dungeons - in anticipation of the upcoming dragon quest VIII. it goes without saying that it's a fantastic series, and i really hope the new episode is true to that - it may be, from what i've seen in the demo.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've been playing that - also a fantastic game, particularly the dungeons - in anticipation of the upcoming dragon quest VIII. it goes without saying that it's a fantastic series, and i really hope the new episode is true to that - it may be, from what i've seen in the demo.

I bought into the hype and anticipation for DWVII. I was left disappointed. I told Mr. Mechanical this. He is gushing about DWVIII though. It sinks in. I mean, it really sinks in. So I borrowed Wes' demo of DWVIII and will probably go through it some time this week. I requested a demo myself, but don't know if I will get it, I don't really have a mailing address yet. Anyways, I need something to wash the horrid acidic burn of Stigma Star Saga out of my mouth.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, my friends, to the future.

this is an a/v composite distribution amplifier, which splits a signal so it can be fed into multiple sources at the same time. the top cables are from my playstation, and the lower sets run to my television and to my video capture device. this enables me to capture audio and video to my computer as i play - my old method involved recording to vhs tape and then capturing from a different vcr.

an improvement, i think.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much of a delay between the signal sent to the monitor and what's sent to/through the capture card? or does it even matter with short cable runs? or do you have no way of seeing it until you look at what's been recorded?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two or three seconds delay between the signal and the capture device. so i couldn't actually play the game on my computer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new members of the family.

and yes, they play nice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get that lovely saturn? I hope you didn't get hosed with jacked up shipping from the usual gang of ebay sellers.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually have a seller (yes, on ebay) in japan whom i've bought from many times and i trust. i've been able to get a lot of good stuff for good prices, including this beautiful saturn.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgeous Saturn.... I want one. Mine is just black. Black as night it is. I kind of like the black one now that I think about it. Better than that Gray one. White is nicer though. I is sad panda.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, my television and videogame paraphenalia used to reside beside and around my computer, which was really convenient for video capture, but swamped the area in wires and cords. no more! i moved my computer the other day, and then relocated my television to its own space finally, on this big five-story computer desk thing that was recovered from the salvation army.

click for full image.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: dessgeega Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
two hori digital pads
Sorry to drag this up from ages ago, but how are you finding them? I've got one, but not used it too much because I find the d-pad annoyingly stiff. Do they get better? Have you figured out what the "select" button does? I figured it would switch between analog/digital on the d-pad, but so far it has done no such thing.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: dessgeega Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
Sorry to drag this up from ages ago, but how are you finding them? I've got one, but not used it too much because I find the d-pad annoyingly stiff.

i've never found the d-pad to be stiff. it's way above the standard gamecube d-pad at any rate. i don't even use my standard controller any more. i have no clue what the select button does, though. i feel like i used to know, back in the dawn days of me owning a hori pad, but the knowledge has been forgotten with time.

controller alley is no more! let us mourn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: dessgeega Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Alc wrote:
Sorry to drag this up from ages ago, but how are you finding them? I've got one, but not used it too much because I find the d-pad annoyingly stiff.
i've never found the d-pad to be stiff. it's way above the standard gamecube d-pad at any rate.
True enough, I never could understand why, if they were determined to have such a small d-pad, they didn't go with the one on the GBA. Cut down on costs, and actually have a usable d-pad. how the Gamecube d-pad ever got past testing is beyond me. I don't use my original Gamecube pads any more either, but only because they've been replaced with lovely, lovely wavebirds. As a result my Gamecube is now positioned in kind of an awkward place to have cables coming from it, making it a hassle to use the Hori (and also the GBA connector cables, though 4 Swords is so worth it).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of third-party controllers from the fine people at hori electric co. ltd.,

isn't she beautiful?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason it reminds me of a joystick I used to have for the BBC Micro. A fine machine. I think it's the slightly odd-shaped white outline. I seem to remember it having some variable autofire function on it too (as in, a variable resistor underneath), which I've not seen since.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if all goes well there'll be a preview video of my new game up tonight.

EDIT: (by tonight i mean like in twenty minutes. things went pretty well.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today a bundle of joy from ApM arrived at my door!

that's a big package! what could be inside??

whoa! it's an atari st!

along with about a thousand disks of games!

sadly this lovely bundle is going to have to sit in the corner until i can find a monitor for it. thanks jeremy!
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBJECTION! You neglected to take a picture of the Fuurai no Shiren cart I slipped in there!

(dessgeega very kindly sent me her copy of Phoenix Wright in exchange for this junk! I've done little but eat, sleep, go to work, and play it since it arrived.)

AFAIK, it should have composite video / audio output, meaning you can plug it into your television with a minimum of extra cabling!

EDIT! Also, those aren't just games -- there's like a dozen disks of MOD music, and I think some random demos and stuff. TAKE THAT! I never really managed to take the time to properly go through it, but as I recall, the previous owner had a pretty nice collection. Not like the previous owner of my Amiga 500, who had miserable taste in games. If anyone wants a massive collection of generic fantasy crap for the Amiga on original disks, it's yours!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
AFAIK, it should have composite video / audio output, meaning you can plug it into your television with a minimum of extra cabling!

oh, awesome! i will have to tinker with it later!

and yes, ApM sent me a copy of furai no shiren for the super famicom. which i can't play, since i have an unmodded snes! (even though modding a snes is really easy, i know.) still, it's a nifty item!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this gp32 (courtesy Lurky) also joined the family today!

i have a bunch of famicom games on it, as well as a bunch of pce games (photograph boy doesn't work right, but soldier blade and coryoon do!). i also tried running frodo, a c64 emulator. the only game i could get to work was ancipital. crossroads 2 will start, then, crushingly, freeze after a few moments. there was also a copy of c-dogs already on the smart media card when it arrived, which is beyond awesome.

i want to get a dc adapter for it. the gp32 is supposedly compatible with dc 3v, 250mA adapters. can i pick up one of those at my local store? or do i already have an adapter from another console that's compatible? (ApM?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtesy ethoscapade.

the only games i have for it right now are final fantasy and final fantasy II. this will not do!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice...
So orange...

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the only games i have for it right now are final fantasy and final fantasy II. this will not do!

If you find anything worthwhile let me know! I've got Blue Wing Blitz, Wild Card, Tekken Card, Makaimura, Gumpei, Pocket Fighter, Rhyme Rider Kerorican, and both Final Fantasy games and none of the games are really all that good.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear good things about Judgement Silversword.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
vf10a

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Driller!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there we go!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon man. Is Judgement Silversword worth the price of Radiant Silvergun and is Mr. Driller really that different from the Dreamcast/Playstation/Game Boy version?

Neo Geo Pocket forever!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister driller a is still the best mister diller, but if i have to own one game for my new wonderswan, i could do much worse than good old susumu hori.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I've got Megaman EXE for it also. It's pretty bad too!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunpey EX?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible. Gumpey is trash.

-Wes
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dess but I really don't remember there being anything that great for the Wonderswan minus tidalwaves of Bandai anime cash-in games.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm actually pretty sure i have a copy of blue wing blitz somewhere around here that i forgot to send you.. i can go looking for it if you'd like.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a really interesting Guilty Gear for Wonderswan. Definetely worth a look if you can find a copy.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
i'm actually pretty sure i have a copy of blue wing blitz somewhere around here that i forgot to send you.. i can go looking for it if you'd like.

i'm not sure what that is, but yes!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dess, wanna play some defcon? I'm at my friends house so can't use skype or gchat Sad

also, apparently the demo is very open, you just need to trick it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
hey dess, wanna play some defcon? I'm at my friends house so can't use skype or gchat Sad

sure! i'll set up a game and wait for you.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! conenction problems, i left and tried to rejoin (you can pick up from where you left off while a CPU covers for you) but I couldn't find the server in the list!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe later i will use my gameboy camera to take a photo of my digital camera!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are *so* post-modern, dess! I bought those, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: