The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Girlfriends to Game
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Getting Girlfriends to Game Reply with quote

My girlfriend said something surprisingly poignant yesterday. She said, "I used to think I played games for the stories, but now I realized that I really don't care about the stories. I think I just like good characters and settings." I'm guessing she realized this after I bought her Broken Sword, ObsCure, and much every other adventure game that's come out recently. Then she said, "How can games capture whatever it is that girls like about Anime?"

And I said, "Well, the problem is that games are all about interaction, and the easiest emotions to envoke through interaction are visceral."

She agreed with me, then said, "I think all I want is a game that's funny. Too many games take themselves seriously." Note that she despised Sam and Max hit the road and she's not a huge fan of Psychonauts. She did like Metroid Fusion and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for the GBA though. She also played Harvest Moon on GBA and decided that once you've played one Harvest Moon you've played them all.

What kind of games would she like? I suggested that she might like Ace Phoenix when it comes out, but then, it might be too story based for her. She loves Katamari and she's looking forward to Shadow of Colossus and Kingdom Hearts 2. Any suggestions?

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No One Lives Forever is pretty funny, sometimes. And it has a female lead too! Though it might be too action based for her tastes, still worth a try I think. I hear chicks dig Beyond Good & Evil like no other so that might be worth springing on her, if you haven't already. Has she tried Animal Crossing? I'm not even sure if that's a game or not but you could definitely get sucked into it.

I think she's right when she says more games need to just be funny, which I assume she meant without having to resort to potty humor. It makes me try to imagine what a funny game would play like, if humor were a part of gameplay. A clean version of Conker?
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Hill 2 is allegedly female-friendly.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... Suikoden, apparently. If she's already gotten used to, you know, playing the things.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. She liked Animal Crossing for a while, but when our towns got erased by a rogue Japanese game formatting a US memory card in slot 2 error we pretty much both gave up on that one.

And yeah, she hates RPG menus with a passion, so Suikoden is out. She doesn't mind Silent Hill except for the whole Horror thing. She's not into horror movies or games.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King of Fighters.

It captures what girls like about anime.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
And yeah, she hates RPG menus with a passion, so Suikoden is out. She doesn't mind Silent Hill except for the whole Horror thing. She's not into horror movies or games.

Well Silent Hill 2 is perfect because it really isn't all that scary.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Baulders Gate: Deadly Alliance, or what ever it was that was the Gauntlet clone for the PS2. You could also try things that are obviously character driven games like Parappa or Megaman Legends that are just about doing cool things with cool characters. Gungrave is about the same, but is more about capturing the anime that boys like with Hellsing than what shojo attempts to.

Then again you could aim for NiS games. They have said before they aim to be more on the feminine side.

Games are not really aimed at women, they are aimed at gamers. It is kind of hard to use them as a gateway drug. If she thinks that by playing one harvest moon she has played them all then she did not like the game and is not willing to give it another shot. The PS2 game is surprisingly different than most of the others, where the GBC ones are much different as well.

Hell, get her Space Channel 5.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the classics and start from there. games were fairly androgynous compared to the current HOLYFUCKINGSHITTITSOMG!!!! box art thing we're drowning in.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know. i'm sort of a woman. i'm a gamer, though, so obviously the topic doesn't address me. i think the question really is (deducting gender from the equation): what games are good for a "casual gamer" (a term which describes the majority of the women who game, today).

i agree about "the classics." i just got my mother hooked on galaga 88 for the pc engine.

i think the reason is simplicity of interface (not simplicity of game, of course). contemporary console games are bogged down with numbers and menu screens and all sorts of conventions that one will only recognize and understand if one is already deeply entrenched in contemporary gaming. "classic" games are good because there's not much of a pre-existing "vocabulary" one has to bring to the game in order to come to terms with it.

the famous example, of course, is myst. this is a game that is played entirely with the mouse, by clicking on things (and occasionally holding or dragging them), and it and its sequels have always boasted an audience that was about half women.

my last partner was way into tetris. so.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mom was way into tetris, too.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother enjoys a game of Super Mario 3 every now and then.

Wes, let your woman check out the Lolo games, or Bubble Bobble. Everyone likes Bubble Bobble, or they should if they don't. But I don't see how they could dislike it. Unless they were just a cold, mean person to begin with.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should say that she's not really at the casual level. I mean, she liked Kingdom Hearts, which is pretty complex. And Dororo, which is also kind of complex. It's not really a gateway thing either. She wants to find a game she'll like, it's just that she complains that they're all the same. And I really can't argue too much with that assertion.

We played a bit of the Everquest Dark Alliance ripoff but it got too repetitive for her. She's a big fantasy fan so I thought that would be a sure thing. Guess not.

Stupid girls!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond Good and Evil.

My girlfriend and I have been playing through it one section at a time for the past few months now and she loves it. She likes taking the pictures of things especially.

Also what my girfriend and I have been doing is just going through videogame history and hitting some of the more important titles and playing them for a little while. We usually don't spend much time on any one game. The idea is to have fun together and to give her a sense of perspective and an appreciation of games in general. While we're playing a game I always give her a rundown on what makes this game special and some background.

This has actually been a pretty successful thing. There have only been a couple games she didn't like: Chu Chu Rocket because the multiplayer was too intense and the puzzles too difficult, Ikaruga and Gradius V because they are so challenging, and any JRPG because she thinks they're too boring. There have been far more hits. Her favorite we've played, besides Beyond Good and Evil, is Shenmue. She also really liked Monkey Ball and Seaman.

This is also a sure-win plan because the process is more important than the destination. It really doesn't matter that she doesn't like many of the games we play enough to beat them herself. We still played videogames together for an hour or two.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
Also what my girfriend and I have been doing is just going through videogame history and hitting some of the more important titles and playing them for a little while. We usually don't spend much time on any one game. The idea is to have fun together and to give her a sense of perspective and an appreciation of games in general. While we're playing a game I always give her a rundown on what makes this game special and some background.

This would be AWESOME. But I don't think my girlfriend would be down. Her mom is a hardcore PC gamer, the kind who buys $600 video cards whenever they find a game that won't play on their computer, so she's kind of been around games her whole life. It's just that not a whole lot has ever appealed to her. And now that she has pretty much unlimited access to any game she would ever want to play they're all starting to look the same, so nothing stands out and looks interesting.

She has fond memories of a few really old PC games. Maybe you guys could help me out with trying to track down some of these. One of them was Disney's Sorcerer's Apprentice. She's always talking about how you had to bring a pig to some mountain to win and how it was pretty much impossible. Another one of her favorites is an old zorkish graphic adventure. Apparently is was about a midevil thief. And that's all she remembers. I keep asking her if it's King's Quest, but as far as I remember you always played as the King in King's Quest. Any guesses?

Oh, and I have tried to get her to play Beyond Good and Evil several times. I think the goals are too vaugely defined for either of us. In any case, she's watched me play it a bit and doesn't seem too intrigued.

You know what would probably be a good game for her? Herdie Gerdy. It's too bad it plays like shit because the system it runs on isn't capable of keeping up with the design.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have answered your own question right there. If they all look the same to her, try distinctive things like Cubivore, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mister Mosquito, Paper Mario, Res, Ico, Katamari, etc., where the premise/execution are interesting enough to be remembered over the actual story. You want her to walk away with her strongest memory being fun/interesting gameplay, not a boring, shoddily written JRPG save-the-world-from-darkness story with random battles with blue menus.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should pick up that Sonic Mega Collection and give that a spin.

I mean, it's Sonic.
No one hates Sonic.

And if you do, you need to die*.

*totally not a joke.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nICO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Mega Collection with my girlfriend a bunch. It's always fun to switch who's playing Tails in Sonic 2. She liked it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's always fun to switch who's playing Tails

one of those new urban men, are we?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might get girls more into gaming:

http://www.slashdong.org/boards/viewtopic.php?p=6
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason to start posting here again:

dhex wrote:
Quote:
It's always fun to switch who's playing Tails

one of those new urban men, are we?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
This might get girls more into gaming:

http://www.slashdong.org/boards/viewtopic.php?p=6

speaking of which. i've started writing that piece. you know the one. the working title is "master/slave configurations."

i'm still not really sure where i'm going with it. i need to come up with a really strong videogame metaphor. something about input and feedback. i'd mention pongism if i could stand that piece. i'm going to try and have it done by the fifteenth, but i'm making no promises.

i'm kind of scared that this might be my "rez+vibrator."
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess: rad.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Sounds awesome. I'd write something about that myself, but it's a lot grosser when guys talk about that stuff. Plus I've never really liked putting a dual shock in my butt.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need there to be msn emoticons in my piece, though. they're critical.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put all sorts of emoticons in your piece.

That sounds wrong.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I will put all sorts of emoticons in your piece.

let's avoid things like this in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
let's avoid things like this in the future.

My apologies.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg, can I e-flirt, too?

...sorry...you guys were begging for it...

_Marcel Duchamp
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be such an e-tard, player 2.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Omg, can I e-flirt, too?

Sure...

meet me by the water fountain after class.
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there.

_Marcel Duchamp
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG did you guys hear about Shaper and another god? They were TOTALLY flirting by the water fountain!
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper said he has some totally rad toys and stuff at his house, but Mom told me I shouldn't play with strangers. What to do, what to do?

_Marcel Duchamp
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND THUS TOUPS WAS BORN.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep reading this thread title as "getting girlfriends to come".
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I keep reading this thread title as "getting girlfriends to come".
I thought it was spelled with a U.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in porno.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/Devil_May_Cry_2/DMC2.shtml

Devil May Cry 2 is a good game for absolute beginners, my girlfriend managed to complete the first level on her first go and my Mum has got to level three so far.

It doesn't really provide much in the way of characters or dialogue, but the environments are fairly interesting.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, this is an old topic! have women figured out how to play videogames yet?
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you count Barbie games as games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been fond of the Adventures of Cookie and Cream for some co-op fun.

It's very much a more cute Toe Jam and Earl, in which you must have a friend to play it.
Also you must actually cooperate to get through the levels. In fact, you both are using the same controller. I wish more games were designed like this.

Last edited by Pijaibros on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
have women figured out how to play videogames yet?
No, but gurlz are coming close!

Also... I heard that DMC2 was terrible so I don't have a copy. I also heard that DMC1 was amazing... which was a lie. I decided to get DMC3 SE though!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard a lot of good things about the devil may cry series. i remember a friend recommending it emphatically to me years ago (the friend was another woman, by the way!). i havn't played any of the games yet, but i've watched some videos.

it seems like there's a lot of comboing going on. and i have a hard time thinking of anything less fun than attempting precision and accuracy in a 3D game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

it seems like there's a lot of comboing going on. and i have a hard time thinking of anything less fun than attempting precision and accuracy in a 3D game.

I can't speak about the later levels, but in the early levels it is really easy, the game autolocks on to the nearest enemy so you don't need to aim much.

I'll let you know how the difficulty ramps up later.

Last edited by Ketch on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first dmc is really fun until the last boss. fuck them.

my wife really likes paper mario. she may even finish it this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games my girlfriend has enjoyed:
SSX3
Mario Kart: Double Dash
The minigames from Mario 64 DS
Mario Golf

that's it, really. And it took a long time for her to learn how to play those first two. Mario Golf is probably the only fully succesful experience I've had gaming with her, start to finish.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I can't speak about the later levels, but in the early levels it is really easy, the game autolocks on to the nearest enemy so you don't need to aim much.

I'll let you know how the difficulty ramps up later.

It ramps up. Then you play it on Hard mode and wonder how you ever lived through anything on normal. Then you play it on DMD mode and holy fuck. Then you beat it and it's really quite rewarding. I'd recommend the game, but only if you're willing to at least play through it on hard. Otherwise it's kind of a bust.

Every time I mention Katamari Damacy in the GMU LJ community, about 20 girls chime in about how awesome it is. That's this generation's girl game, I guess.

I know many women who like Soul Calibur. I hate Soul Calibur, so go figure.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Silent Hill 2 is allegedly female-friendly.

Har!

Also, I'd complain that my wife doesn't appreciate me gaming except she's too busy playing World of WarCraft to answer my questions regarding the matter.

In fact, on average I'd say she plays games more than me. Oftentimes I'm more enamoured with game culture than the games themselves, but she's genuinely hardcore.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to ask a personal question, don't hate me for doing this.

Do you live in different apartments?

Give her a copy of System Shock 2, and give her a spare key to your place.

Then just wait for the sunlight to go away.

Oh yeah.... Instant knight in shining armour.

Well, unless she gets wise to the plan, in which case it may backfire horribly.

(The plan being that it freaks her out, and she rushes to your place, right into your arms. where you can say "It's alright, I'm here for you." I mean, it's a fairly deceitful trick, true, almost like the popcorn cinema trick from that movie, but hey.... it's all I can think of right now in terms of games.)

Last edited by Szczepaniak on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: