The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shooter Article on Wikipedia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: shooter Article on Wikipedia Reply with quote

It's the current collaboration of the week on WIkipedia, and the first knowledgable people I thought of were people here and insercredit.

I'm simply putting this forth because it's a great opportunity for the games community to contribute to a worthy article.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a few edits (including the addition of the term "area shooter" and the citation of tempest 3000 as a recent tube shooter).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added recognition of Asteroids as the first area shooter.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know how to use wikipedia, so I am just going to post some things here and hope that someone will fix them for me:

-In the Non-Arcade Style Shooters section is this sentence: "While some shoot'em ups can be referred to as rail shooters, this term is an over-arching concept that can apply to interactive movies, light gun games, and action games."
Rail shooters (Panzer Dragoon) completly contradict this part of the definition: "While the genre can have 3D graphics, the gameplay is almost exclusively in a linear, 2D style." See below with 3D shooter, but I think all this shit should get its own entry and be removed from the Shoot'em Up secion.

-In the Fixed Shooter section there is the Gallery Shooter section. I have also heard them called (much more frequently than Gallery shooter) Single Screen Shooters, which is not mentioned.

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Vertical scrolling shooter is also abbreviated as vert shooter. And that first paragraph is pretty weak.

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Under the heading, Monitors and orientation, there is a sencence that is wrong: "Tate shmups usually begin as arcade games, with custom cabinets." They are usually just standard Jamma cabintes with a tate monitor. In the same vein it should probably be mentioned that you pronounce Tate Tah-Teh (japanese, not the way you would say it in english)

-In the Scrolling Shooters Section: under the heading Monitors and orientation: For the Famous vertical shmups, while Yoko is mentioned as an option, none are mentioned. I recommend adding Mars Matrix or Giga Wing.

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Under the heading, Horizontal scrolling shooter: This sentence is a bunch of crap: "Enemies are more likely to come from behind the player's ship in these types of games than their vertically scrolling counterparts are."

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Under the heading, Isometric Shooter: Well, they completly forgot the Iridion style isometric shooter which, while it is not too popular on consoles, you can find quite a few doujin shmups with it.

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Under the heading, 3D Shooter: This whole section should be removed from the entry. Also this sentence is just a flat out lie: "3D shooters are still prevalent in the arcades today, as they draw crowds and are very expensive to play."

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Under the heading, bullet curtain and manic shooter: I don't even know where to start with this... a bullet curtain is something that happens in a manic shooter. Also this sencence: "A manic shooter is similar to a bullet curtain game except that the area of impact of the protagonists' ship is not reduced" is a horrible lie too. Especially given the two examples for games. DoDonPachi's ship hit box is about 2X2 pixels, and Giga Wings is smaller too. I don't know how the heck the term Bullet Curtain became it's own genera, but it is not. Well, whatever.

-In the Scrolling Shooters section: Under the heading, Competitive: Change Air Blade should also be mentioned.

~~~

-Sort of releated (because I followed a link): The Salamander entry is really jacked up: "The North American release of Life Force is identical to Salamander, except that all the mechanical art of enemies and levels has been replaced with an organic feel. However, the Japanese re-release of Life Force, released later in 1987, is further differentiated from Salamander with additional minor graphical tweaks, and a revert back to the original Gradius power-up system, instead of the simplified version in Salamander and the North American Life Force release."
It was the NA release that reverted to the Gradius Powerup system and that is why Life Force was ever released in Japan at all.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"

Last edited by Shapermc on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
-In the Scrolling Shooters Section: under the heading Monitors and orientation: For the Famous vertical shmups, while Yoko is mentioned as an option, none are mentioned. I recommend adding Mars Matrix or Giga Wing.
I thought Yoko shooters (or shooters in Yoko mode?) were only vertically-alinged ones that had been scaled for a horizontal monitor.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
I thought Yoko shooters (or shooters in Yoko mode?) were only vertically-alinged ones that had been scaled for a horizontal monitor.

Well, I mean, Yoko just means side in japanese. When you play Strikers 1945 in Yoko mode it is basically the same as playing Giga Wing standard.

I could be wrong on this.

dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're probably right.

Also, here's how to use wikipedia: click the "edit this page" tab at the top.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no authority on the subject so I'm not going to make an edit, but doesn't Zero Gunner 2 deserve to be on there somewhere? I don't think it's exactly a Multi-Directional shooter, cause it's got the whole rail mechanism of regular vertical/horizontal shooters, but it's also neither strictly vertical nor horizontal.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
I'm no authority on the subject so I'm not going to make an edit, but doesn't Zero Gunner 2 deserve to be on there somewhere? I don't think it's exactly a Multi-Directional shooter, cause it's got the whole rail mechanism of regular vertical/horizontal shooters, but it's also neither strictly vertical nor horizontal.

i would compare the scrolling of zero gunner to the scrolling stars in the background of galaga. the scrolling doesn't really effect gameplay. enemies slide onto the screen from all directions. the scrolling is really just there to make the stages coherent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dark steve wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Well, I mean, Yoko just means side in japanese. When you play Strikers 1945 in Yoko mode it is basically the same as playing Giga Wing standard.

I could be wrong on this.

Sorta. All arcade shooters are vertical. I've never EVER seen a horizontal shooter cabinet, besides Metal Slug har har.

Home TVs are not always able to be turned on their side (tate mode), so the horizontal (yoko mode) is the more common and default. Thinking back to a time when arcades actually thrived in the states, I can't remember a single monitor that wasn't horizontal.

Huh.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Thinking back to a time when arcades actually thrived in the states, I can't remember a single monitor that wasn't horizontal.

Huh.

Really? Not even Tron?

simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
simplicio wrote:

i would compare the scrolling of zero gunner to the scrolling stars in the background of galaga. the scrolling doesn't really effect gameplay. enemies slide onto the screen from all directions. the scrolling is really just there to make the stages coherent.

I'd agree with you if the scrolling didn't also include boss set pieces and directional fire. But so much of ZG is controlling which direction you're firing in addition to your location on the screen, which might make it more like Asteroids if it wasn't for the addition of a set path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: