The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Gamer Culture Magazine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: New Gamer Culture Magazine Reply with quote

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/12/1812244&from=rss

The Escapist, eh? I look forward to reading it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell...
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually quite good, now that I'm reading it. I still think we're doing something different enough, though what they're doing is on a whole other level of professionalism. It's good stuff, but worry not Shaper! There's always room for another zine or two. This just means we'll have to step up our approach and start writing better to keep up if we're going to be compared to them. Which ain't a bad thing, I don't think.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks pretty incredible. I'm not sure where they're getting the money for such high profile freelancers, but if they can keep this up weekly it'll revolutionize shit in exactly the way we've been wanting.

But yeah, we're all soldiers in the same war and I say that the bigger the army, the easier it will be to cause a revolution.

-Wes

ALSO: Tycho References us (If you're the sort of person who would read a magazine solely distributed in Adobe's PDF format, chances are you know what I'm talking about./Let me tell you what I saw on MTV.)
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap and a half! kieron "new games journalism" gillen!

this should be an interesting read.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheee just got done reading it all. Good columns all around. I especially enjoyed The Contrarian and the one's written by Gillen and Tycho from PA. At a weekly pace I can see this taking off nicely. I also like how they're subscription service works. Just enter an email and they'll send you a high res .pdf each week that it comes out. Best of luck to these chaps.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a few articles. Kind of fluffy but not bad. I don't see it competing with us, though. Gamer's Quarter is perhaps a little too in-depth for its own good but that's what I like about it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
It's actually quite good, now that I'm reading it.

Oh, that is what I am most worried about Razz

I am reading it now, no doubt it will be excellent.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
ALSO: Tycho References us (If you're the sort of person who would read a magazine solely distributed in Adobe's PDF format, chances are you know what I'm talking about./Let me tell you what I saw on MTV.)

I think you may be digging a little deep here. The magazine is solely distibuted in PDF that contains his article.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

I think you may be digging a little deep here. The magazine is solely distibuted in PDF that contains his article.

Yeah, I didn't realize that. They've actually got a pretty nice HTML format thingy going on there.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would.

Wait, I agree. For the most part it is succinct and insightful.

I found the Gamer Like Me article frustratingly strawmanish though, eg: "Some people would say a gamer is...", and it didn't seem to end up with much of a point other than 'gaming isn't an elite geek hobby anymore.'

The Culture Wargames one is my favourite, I think. It covers a lot of ground.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i skipped that one. "gamer" is a bad word, and puts me in mind of this minatures shop in chelsea across from where a friend's studio was. it was called "neutral ground."

afterwards every time a disagreement would arise, we'd tell people "we'll settle this on neutral ground" which still makes me laugh, even now.

it did, however, have a decent logo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "nintendo is going to die" article struck me as not particularly well researched or informed.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, ok I have read it all now. I want to say one thing really quick that is very negitive. This PDF reminds me why I decided not to put giant quotes in the articles. They are so hideous.

That aside: The Mainstream is Coming: It is Tycho's comic turned into an article. The halo 2 comic. So, it is good, but he has made most of the comments before so it was nothing new.

Gamer like me: I liked it at points, but then it got confused inside itself. It should have stayed more simple. Good message, sub-par delivery.

Culture Wargames: Very excellent. Mainly because of his grasp of how these USA bastards are ripping up the constitution (which Dhex has informed me of and made me re-think) ... being a british man. Anyways, tons of excellent points. The intro is grabbing, but I think it could have been better, it just feels like it is trying to grab.

dark steve wrote:
The "nintendo is going to die" article struck me as not particularly well researched or informed.

I loved this article until the words: "This is why Nintendo is doomed." The rest of the time I cringed at his pesimistic attitude.

I like it, it is good. It is similar to TGQ, but with really big names. Oh well. I don't know how in the hell it will keep steam being a weekly. I am interested to find out.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I found the Gamer Like Me article frustratingly strawmanish though, eg: "Some people would say a gamer is...", and it didn't seem to end up with much of a point other than 'gaming isn't an elite geek hobby anymore.'

i really wanted to like jennifer buckendorff's piece because i rarely get to read game writing by other women, but it didn't really...have a point. not that i have an easy time escaping tangents either. but when i turned to the third page, i was surprised to see a new piece of writing started.

i was hoping she would draw on her own experiences of alienation in a larger gaming culture, but she really didn't. it feels like she's responding to some specific thing i havn't read.

anyway, which is the "nintendo is DOOOOMED" piece? those are always absurdly dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Contrarian" I think. It's just kind of dumb is all. It's written as if the company has been taking a beating for the last five years, when they have the highest profits of any console manufacturer in the industry.

Last edited by dark steve on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
anyway, which is the "nintendo is DOOOOMED" piece? those are always absurdly dumb.

The one with the wheel at the end.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the article isn't really about how Nintendo is doomed, but about how innovation is being killed by standardization. I guess its up to you to judge the quality of his argument based on the fact that he uses Nintendo as an example to support this proposition.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i skipped that one. "gamer" is a bad word, and puts me in mind of this minatures shop in chelsea across from where a friend's studio was. it was called "neutral ground."

I like Tim's suggestion of "We, who game" in the journalism article he did.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innovation (well, kinda) is making all the money, is all I'm saying. It just depends on how your business model works.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Innovation (well, kinda) is making all the money, is all I'm saying. It just depends on how your business model works.

Well, you should write an article.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL MAYBE I WILL
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the talk of innovation - from everyone who has ever lived - makes me wonder just what, in particular the fuck, people are looking for in games anyway.

this shit's moving too fast for anyone to keep up with unless you're seven years old. those kids, let me tell you, this girl was playing a pokemon game on a gba and she explained to me the rules, or tried to. i'd had seven beers by that point and some very delicious jerk chicken but the tiny ins and outs of pokemon remained obscure. i think this pissed her off. tough cookies, kid.

it's not like games were this wellspring of unbridled genius, ever. really. i swear. nostalgia is lying to you; it's entirely a funciton of how old you are, what your emotional state is and whether or not you're getting laid at the time.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innovation can't really be quantisized either. That, and it's usually something so unexpected that people don't really call it innovative until after the fact. Katamari? Yeah right, there's been tons of games with tank controls and ball rolling, however there weren't any like Katamari. At least not any that you could find comparisons to communism in.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaming is a nest of communist depravity. i can compare that to any game. but a game as cute as katamari damacy? shit. might as well paint the town red, if you know what i mean.

katamari is a mass murder simulator, pure and simple. it's the only thing jack thompson would ever be right about, but he'd never bring it up because he thinks of violence in the same terms that the larvae who wrote the box copy to far cry do.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're getting into the grey areas though. There's never any explicit mass murdering in KD. How aer we to know that being turned into a star is actually painful and fatal, as long as the Prince is at the helm? Perhaps the people stuck to his Katamari are screaming in surprise and joy.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue that most games are ideologically capitalistic.

I mean, collecting items! Seriously.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, ho, ho..
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Yeah right, there's been tons of games with tank controls and ball rolling, however there weren't any like Katamari.

bubbles.

also, i love the maoist game reviews. i've never met anyone from that particular strain of the communist movement, but hey.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really excited to check this mag out after reading the comments on this forum, but I was kinda dissapointed by the debut. This new mag certainly has promise. It's biggest asset is that it looks so professional...both the site and the issue. I can also see some good articles being written for it. Nothing in this issue caught my interest, however. I wouldn't say it was bad. Not at all. It's just that after I finished it, I wondered why I read it.

'm interested to see what an article about an actual game would be like... Hopefully we'll get that soon.

So far, this doesn't seem like a direct competitor to Gamers Quarter at all. You both are trying to do different things.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's never any explicit mass murdering in KD. How aer we to know that being turned into a star is actually painful and fatal, as long as the Prince is at the helm?

what do you trust more: physics or the demented economics of marx?

clearly, being blown up into a superfurnace of a gazillion degrees is murder, even if it is over in a flash.

the maoist review site is classic. you don't meet many maoists in the west anymore, much for the same reason you don't meet many stalinists.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
So far, this doesn't seem like a direct competitor to Gamers Quarter at all. You both are trying to do different things.

Same train heading in different directions.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/1/19

This is pretty good for the second half. It really feels like two slightly differernt articles.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually trust marx over physics.

but then, i have a little doll of him next to my monitor, and i wouldn't pick physics over him to his face.

EDIT: the piece i am writing for gamer's quarter totally starts with me playing bubble bobble with my mother.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked that Mom Knows Best article. Lots of heart and great timing too. The other new article was blah.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The other new article was blah.

Yea, I did not make it to the second page.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When gamers celebrate the fact that gaming has gone mainstream, that it's everywhere, they're dancing on Nintendo's grave. They're rejoicing in a future of narrowly defined genres: the shooter, the stealth action, the character platformer. They're laughing at the burning wreckage of Feel the Magic: XY/XX and Nintendogs and Odama. They're whipping out their PSP and playing "Tony Hawk: Back For More Cash" and saying look at the screen, look at the graphics, isn't it pretty, and so familiar. They'll eat at McDonald's and shop at Wal-Mart and listen to The Killers and wear their Hot Topic. And ten years from now, some guy like me will write an article about "Remember Game Boy?", and that'll be that.

this is so fucking stupid i don't even know where to start.

when were games "underground?" can someone please tell me? i'd like to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
when were games "underground?" can someone please tell me? i'd like to know.

It was "underground" when buying a game meant you had to know how to install it and get it to work with your sound card. It was Nintendo who brought in the mainstream.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound cards came around about half a decade after the NES. That's also about the time that PC games got big and fancy enough to need to install them to your hard drive. And that hard drives got large enough to install anything to them. When the Apple ][ was king, running games was pretty easy.

Hardcore assholes are what's strangling videogames. Or. Well, they're one major thing. They're responsible for much of the genre-entrenchment. Street Fighter II was so much more interesting before it was a Fighting Game, for instance. Then the interesting things, intended to help the game appeal to a wider audience, got stripped away because Fighting Game Fans didn't care about them.

Same kind of thing happening everywhere. The only times I've ever seen videogames (or, fuck, anything) grow is when they open up and try to speak (not cater; actually speak) to people they haven't spoken to before. Super Mario Bros. The DS. Katamari Damacy. Pac-Man. All populist.

Russel T. Davies, producer and writer of the new series of Doctor Who, had a quote a while ago. He was discussing how he intended to make the new series for a new audience -- in particular women, as if you get women watching you're sold. They're the key demographic because they're typically more loyal and more interested than males. Although the new series was a continuation of the old, and he intended to respect the series history (since, heck, he was a fan himself), he saw no reason to cater to the fans. As he put it, if the fans didn't like the new series that just meant they'd only watch each episode ten times instead of twenty.

So. Yeah. Videogames?

Last edited by aderack on Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't say they happened in chronological order!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said more! Don't reply so fast!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As he put it, if the fans didn't like the new series that just meant they'd only watch each episode ten times instead of twenty.

and then he harvested their organs. good for him.

i don't blame him - though dr. who exists in my memory only as a weird show on pbs with a telephone booth that'd come on before they'd play the jersey lottery numbers - since fans of all stripes are generally annoying as shit. it's pretty hard to be into something passionately and not be a total fuck about it at least some of the time. even the best of us fail at it occassionally.

it's even worse when that irrational "thing i've got" turns to resentment whenever it is discovered by those who should not be discovering it. instead of happiness at this thing that gives one joy being spread out to others, there is this soiling effect, as if part of the fun of the passion was keeping it secret. which may very well be it, and it's far more territorial-emotional politics than i'd care to think at first glance, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. hence the sidebar on hot topic and mcdonalds and walmart - even though games have always been sold at big retail shops.

then again, i don't have the same opinion of nintendo as a company that "gamers" do so maybe i'm blind to this otherness.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was something of a Weezer fan, I remember reading an interview with Rivers Cuomo where, when asked about his fans, said: "They are annoying little bitches and I avoid them at all costs." Weezer fans of course freaked out. For me, reading that sentence was a revelation, because (as one who knew many Weezer fans), I realized just how true it was.

Re-immersing myself back into the world of online videogame discussion has reminded me just how much of a hassle fans really are.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Re-immersing myself back into the world of online videogame discussion has reminded me just how much of a hassle fans really are.

Hey Shaper, have you given up on the whole "accepting submissions" thing yet?

-Wes
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Didn't E3 teach you this?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was half the reason I went to E3. To remind myself.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3 seems like a commercial for a game shark from 1994 dipped in lsd and stretched out for 3 days.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hey Shaper, have you given up on the whole "accepting submissions" thing yet?

No
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
e3 seems like a commercial for a game shark from 1994 dipped in lsd and stretched out for 3 days.

You're some kind of crazy genius, you know that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: