The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Xbox 360 is under $300!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: The Xbox 360 is under $300! Reply with quote

So by now we all know that the Xbox 360 costs $300 for the "core system" which comes with a wired controller, regular TV hook-ups, and no hard drive, thus no backwards compatibility or $400 for a system with a wireless controller, HD Hookups, a 20 gig hard drive which allows backwards compatibility, an Xbox Live headset and (for a limited time) a Media Center/DVD Remote.

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on this.

I think I'm of the rare mind that actually thinks it's a good idea. Hear me out on this one though.

I worked at a game store from high school through college. You would be sursprised how many parents would actually buy their kids a PS2 or a Gamecube without a memory card despite the fact that the system is basically worthless without one. It's a huge number. Like, over 50% of parents, despite how much the sales clerk insists that the system is basically worthless without a memory card, would leave the store with nothing but the system and the cheapest game they could get their hands on. The core Xbox is meant to be sold to these people, and this is an important audience because parents buying the system for their kids make up about 50% of the people who buy the systems post-launch.

Also consider that the other option was to only offer the system for $400. That number just sounds way too high. It's the road Sony took with the PSP in the US. You could buy the "Value system" for $250 or none at all. In Japan they offered a core system for $200. This core system had everything you need to play games except for a memory stick. If they would have released this version in the US the system would be doing a lot better. $200 makes the system sound a lot cheaper than $250, but Sony dropped the ball.

There are also other PSP parallels to consider. A lot of people claim that part of what you're being charged for with the PSP is the ability to play UMD movies, listen to music, and look at pictures. They'd rather knock $50 off and forego these features. The Xbox 360 allows people to disregard the non-gaming frills if they don't want them. Outside of developers using the hard drive to cache their games and for backwards compatibility, its only practical use is saving games and putting music, movies, pictures, and downloaded Xbox live stuff on it. People can forego (or put off) paying the $100 for these features if they just want to play Xbox 360 games on it.

That said, forcing developers to cater to both people with and without hard drives is asking a lot. It's essentially asking them to make games that stream data from the disc instead of the hard drive, and DVD access speed is much lower, limiting what they can potentially do.

Personally, I'll be getting a $400 Xbox 360 at launch, but I won't be buying as many launch games and I may even forego getting a second controller for a while. I've been wanting to play Kameo for 4 years now and nothing's going to stop me! And I'm glad that this two tier system launch means that I won't have to put non-system money toward a headset, remote, wireless controller, and memory card.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather spend that kind of money on a girl, to be honest.

In all seriousness, I think people who complain about the Xbox360's price are misguided. The truth is, Microsoft is selling the thing substantially below cost; if you wonder why the games and peripherals cost so much, it's to make up for that difference. It's... maybe a little dishonest of Microsoft to price it this way, but it's smart to sugarcoat things a little bit. The cold, unvarnished truth is that the graphics and capabilities that people are desiring from this console run on expensive hardware; even with increased peripheral costs Microsoft is still footing some of the bill for you. But there's no such thing as a free lunch: if you want a console that powerful then you'd better be willing to pay for it. The graphics whore generation is reaping what it sowed.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I'd rather spend that kind of money on a girl, to be honest.

You know, after you are spending that kind of money on a girl you're going to say, "I'd rather spend that kind of money on video games." Mark my words.

Actually, I just came up with a neat analogy.

The XB360 is to the Saturn what PS3 is to the Playstation

The Saturn launched early at $400 (like the Xbox) after their previous generation where they made some serious headway against the reigning champ, then Sony came around and launched with a more powerful system at a cheaper price and destroyed them. Then Nintendo came around at an even cheaper price less than a year later and together with Sony they trounced the Saturn but Nintendo remained a me-too for the entire generation.

Will this happen again?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno about that. girls tend to be rather enticing.

just wait til you spend thousands on them!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are the external harddrives going to be, and why the fuck are they external?

BECAUSE: If $299 Package + HD < $399, I would get that.

All this aside, why the fuck am I even saying this? There is nothing on it I want.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$299 Package + HD = $399 (hence $99)

Why would ANYONE get that? Do you not want a wireless controller (as opposed to wired), headset, and remote?

Here's the full accessory list:

* Xbox 360 Faceplate (Suggested Retail Price: $19.99 U.S./E19.99/£14.99)
* Xbox 360 Hard Drive (20 GB) (Suggested Retail Price: $99.99 U.S./E99.99/£69.99)
* Xbox 360 Memory Unit (64 MB) (Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./E34.99/£22.99)
* Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter (Suggested Retail Price: $99.99 U.S./E79.99 /£59.99)
* Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (Suggested Retail Price: $49.99 U.S./E44.99/£32.99)
* Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit (Suggested Retail Price: $19.99 U.S./E19.99/£14.99)
* Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack (Suggested Retail Price: $11.99 U.S./E14.99/£9.99)
* Xbox 360 Controller (Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./E34.99/£24.99)
* Xbox 360 Headset (Suggested Retail Price: $19.99 U.S./E19.99/£14.99)
* Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote (Suggested Retail Price: $29.99 U.S./E29.99/£19.99)
* Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable (Suggested Retail Price $39.99 U.S./E29.99/£19.99)
* Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable (US only) Xbox 360 SCART AV Cable (Europe only) (Suggested Retail Price: $29.99 U.S./E24.99/£17.99)
* Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable (Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./E29.99/£19.99)

Speaking of wireless controllers, has anyone read anywhere how you're going to have to charge that beast?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't people install their own hd's ?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
$299 Package + HD = $399 (hence $99)

Why would ANYONE get that?

You missed my "if" aparently.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
can't people install their own hd's ?
Yes? If you can plug your iPod into this thing and play it through the box for custom game soundtracks, I don't see why you couldn't plug a USB/Firewire HD in there.

And if you can't, I'm sure Lik-Sang will have a solution in a week or two.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN, but you can't use external hard drives for game saving or backwards compatibility.

And they are giving everyone free Xbox live weekends to give people an incentive not to hack their Xbox 360s.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about internally?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Yes? If you can plug your iPod into this thing and play it through the box for custom game soundtracks, I don't see why you couldn't plug a USB/Firewire HD in there.

Ta fuck? You can use your iPod? Hell, this is ... pretty cool.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Is there any actual game reason to buy/anticipate the 360 yet? I mean, so far it feels much like the PSP...that is, no innovation.

I guses it'll be like the original xbox...unfortunately, some good games were exclusively on it so i'll wait years and years to buy it at an incredibly low price Razz
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Hm. Is there any actual game reason to buy/anticipate the 360 yet? I mean, so far it feels much like the PSP...that is, no innovation.

Well, Perfect Dark, Project Gotham 3, and Kameo (mmmm Kameo) are going to be launchish titles. So yeah, there's a few reasons right there. From what I've played Kameo is incredible. Beyond that there's Blue Dragon (Sakaguchi), 99 Nights (Mizuguchi), Oblivion (Elder Scrolls), Ridge Racer 6, Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising (Capcom Zombie Photographer), Too Human, Dead or Alive 4, and the best versions of any multiplatform game (for a while at least). So yeah, there are a few reasons.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:

I guses it'll be like the original xbox...unfortunately, some good games were exclusively on it so i'll wait years and years to buy it at an incredibly low price Razz

Yeah. That's what it looks like to me.

Kameo is Rare isn't it? I can't get excited about it. Ditto for Perfect Dark. I don't like racing games, so that throws out Project Gotham.

Really the only remotely interesting looking game so far is Oblivion. 99 Nights might be neat, too. But it won't be out for awhile.

I don't care for Sakaguchi.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Toups, you don't like anything made in the last 10 years that doesn't have "Silent" or "Hill" in the title. It doesn't matter if it was made by Rare or not, Kameo is good.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Please Toups, you don't like anything made in the last 10 years that doesn't have "Silent" or "Hill" in the title. It doesn't matter if it was made by Rare or not, Kameo is good.

I know for a fact this man really enjoyed Killer 7
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't enjoyed anything Rare has done since goldeneye.

And yeah, I kind of dislike a lot of games. And I'm being sincere when I say that are only one or two games for the Xbox360 that really grab my interest at all.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so there is an E for Everyone ESRB rating on the XTREME pack for the 360 but not the core system.

Pre-installed game on the HD?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah. It comes with an Xbox arcade game. They've said that the hard drive comes pre-installed with a bunch of crap too and they're "working with their partners" to figure out what the best content would be. I'm betting a Korn song, a Death Cab for Cutie song, and an episode of Joey in HD.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait, there's more! Check this picture out:

Look in the lower-right. Apparently the $400 version has "premium chrome details." Hell yeah! How can anyone say no to chrome?

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look in the upper right! it falls over!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Johnson is sooooo lucky.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare you to buy it! Check out the page count!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Johnson wrote:
Microsoft’s Xbox now accounts for 37 percent of the game console market, and the new Xbox 360 is due out for the 2005 holiday season, months before Sony’s PlayStation 3. When gamers take the new Xbox home, however, they’ll soon discover that it’s more than a just a game machine–it’s a full-fledged home media hub with more power than most PCs. This friendly guide shows how to maximize both gaming and non-gaming features of this amazing machine.

* Topics covered include hooking up Xbox 360, taking advantage of HDTV and Dolby capabilities, using built-in digital video recording and wireless functions, storing media files, playing music, and displaying photos
* Shows how to have even more fun by taking an Xbox online for massively multiplayer gaming, instant messaging, and more
* Discusses the social potential of the Xbox, which people can use to make new friends, join groups and teams, and even throw fantastic parties
* Includes tips for securing the Xbox from online threats

i want to throw fantastic parties.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I thought that was a photoshop. That shit's real?

guh guh guh guh guh guh guh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: