The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Block Fiasco.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Power Block Fiasco. Reply with quote

You've got these sweet power blocks and then you've got the one of many misleading articles on the subject.

You also have the hilarious webcomic relating to the matter.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the videogame context, it reminds me of the graffiti artist Above.

Yeah... that's disturbing that someone would think something like that is a bomb, but given the amount of care anyone who engages in public art has to take, anybody trying this should do their best not to get connected with it in any way.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyc is way ahead of the curve; we had one of these a while back:

Quote:
This Art Will Kill You

NEW YORK - The menacing boxes that led police to evacuate one of the city's busiest subway stations and call out the bomb squad were just part of an art class project, a student says.

Clinton Boisvert was arrested after admitting to police that he painted the word "FEAR" on 37 boxes and placed them inside the bustling subway station at Union Square.

It was his way of meeting an assignment for the School of Visual Arts, said Boisvert, who was released on his own recognizance Tuesday.

Boisvert, 25, was charged with reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail, and disorderly conduct.

The scare happened Dec. 11 when a police sergeant spotted one of the shirtbox-sized boxes in a stairwell. Others — some painted black, some wrapped in electrical tape — were found on platforms, and attached to walls, benches and floors.

The station was closed for nearly six hours while officers determined that the boxes were empty.

"It's a case of an innocent art project going awry," Boisvert's lawyer, Bill Stampur said.

Sculpture teacher Barbara Schwartz wouldn't say how his effort would be graded, but told The New York Post he received an "A" for the semester.

The school probably won't discipline Boisvert, said spokesman Adam Eisenstat.

loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm

I think it would be cool to make a dinner based on mushrooms, and serve them in boxes like this you could collapse out.

LJ -- Profile
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the claimed voice of dissent on Jack Thompson's part?
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
hrm

I think it would be cool to make a dinner based on mushrooms, and serve them in boxes like this you could collapse out.

I just had Talapia in a bag. So I don't see why Mushrooms in a box isn't possible.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about the claimed voice of dissent on Jack Thompson's part?

huh?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just misreading the original link, but apparently Jack Thompson had a thing or two to say on the original crisis matter. One or two mean things.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

video of the construction of posterchild's "ravenna five" question block.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jack Thompson shot off an email to Ryan calling him a jerk. Ryan sent a reasoned and well-thought out response, to which Jack basically responded that art was a waste of time.

He posted the emails to his Livejournal, but they're friendlocked, so, you know, I'll respect that and not post the actual emails. (However, this photo of him and Joey Comeau post-coitus is not! Hot!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: