The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Home Video Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColecoVisionist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Classic Home Video Games Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

The third book in my Classic Home Video Game series is finally available. You can order Classic Home Video Games, 1989-1990: A Complete Guide to Sega Genesis, Neo Geo and TurboGrafx-16 Games on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Home-Video-Games-1989-1990/dp/0786441720/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313463525&sr=1-3

Don't let the cover dates fool you--the book includes descriptions/reviews (and more) of EVERY single official U.S.-released game for all three systems, regardless of when those games came out (the next book will cover the SNES and other subsequent systems).

FEATURES INCLUDE:

*Foreword by Leonard Herman
*Durable hardcover binding
*Descriptions/Reviews for every game for the Sega Genesis, Neo Geo, and TurboGrafx-16
*Detailed gameplay information
*Developer/publisher info
*Historical data
*Console Biographies
*Genre definitions
*Video game term definitions
*Comparisons to arcade classics
*Crisp B&W Photos
*Author preface
*Editorial content based on the author's 35 years experience playing video games
*336 pages
*And much more!

This is a book you will refer to again and again. It is perfect for taking to conventions and retro game stores, and for having on hand while shopping for games online. Or, for simply kicking back and getting lost in the nostalgia.

Here's the official description of the book:

The third in a series about home video games, this detailed reference work features descriptions and reviews of every official U.S.-released game for the Neo Geo, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16, which, in 1989, ushered in the 16-bit era of gaming. Organized alphabetically by console brand, each chapter includes a description of the game system followed by substantive entries for every game released for that console. Video game entries include historical information, gameplay details, the author’s critique, and, when appropriate, comparisons to similar games. Appendices list and offer brief descriptions of all the games for the Atari Lynx and Nintendo Game Boy, and catalogue and describe the add-ons to the consoles covered herein--Neo Geo CD, Sega CD, Sega 32X and TurboGrafx-CD.

Here are accolades for the previous two books in the series:

Classic Home Video Games, 1985-1988:

"This is a great book...information is spot-on...100% accurate...a must-own"
--Video Game Trader

"A great tome of reference...excellent...a must-own for any avid 8-bit collector"
--Retro Gamer

"Valuable...great...succeeds with flying colors...vivid commentary and descriptions...will save you time, money and frustration"
--Nintendo Age

"Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 offers exactly what you want in a collection of capsule reviews: well-written text that is clear and to the point...this is the current gold standard for video game reference guides."
--Retro Gaming Australia

Classic-Home-Video-Games-1972-1984:

"a labor of love...comprehensive...recommended"
--Library Journal

"a great-looking new book"
--classicgaming.gamespy.com

“thoroughly researched”
--Game Informer

“a must-read...both fun and informative, a highly recommended purchase”
--Video Game Collector.

"Brett Weiss knows his video games, and this book is a must for all fans"
--Bart Bush (former editor of Larry Bieza's Pinball Price Guide)

“Weiss’s deep familiarity with his chosen subject matter is an asset of the text, and as a writer he conveys information clearly and without pretension...Weiss’s reviews of obscure games make the book a treasure...impressive and fun book...valuable...the breadth of coverage here is astounding...a fun read and a nostalgic trip supreme...undeniably smart, historically valuable and wide-ranging in coverage”
--GameCulture Journal

Thanks for reading!
ColecoVisionist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Sample Pages Now Available! Reply with quote

Sample pages from Classic Home Video Games, 1989-1990 are now available:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/excerpts/978-0-7864-4172-3.Preface.pdf

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/excerpts/978-0-7864-4172-3.Samurai.pdf

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/excerpts/978-0-7864-4172-3.BubsyII.pdf

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/excerpts/978-0-7864-4172-3.MortalKombat.pdf

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/excerpts/978-0-7864-4172-3.PacLand.pdf

You can order the book here:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Home-Video-Games-1989-1990/dp/0786441720/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315657554&sr=1-3
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the SNES? it came out in 1990 (and I was always an SNES dude). Does this book cover the console wars?

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Where's the SNES? it came out in 1990 (and I was always an SNES dude). Does this book cover the console wars?-Wes

The Super NES was released in America in 1991, so it will be covered in the next book. The console wars are mentioned, but the book covers each game individually rather than the industry as a whole.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living a lie! I always thought it was 1990 for some reason. The naming convention for your guide is a little odd since you're covering the entire spam of the Genesis under the 1990 subheading. I understand why you're doing it, but in some ways it would seem more useful to cover all of the games for all of systems over 3 years instead of all of all of the games for the systems that were released in 2.

So what's the next book? SNES, 3DO, and CD-i?

Do you cover Alien Soldier in this book?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've been living a lie! I always thought it was 1990 for some reason. The naming convention for your guide is a little odd since you're covering the entire spam of the Genesis under the 1990 subheading. I understand why you're doing it, but in some ways it would seem more useful to cover all of the games for all of systems over 3 years instead of all of all of the games for the systems that were released in 2.

So what's the next book? SNES, 3DO, and CD-i?

Do you cover Alien Soldier in this book?

-Wes

I like to cover every game for the systems included in the book--I wouldn't want a hardcore Genesis fan, for example, to have to by several books.

The next book will cover the SNES and several others--I'm still in the planning stages.

No on Alien Soldier since it's a foreign release. Thanks for asking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: