The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gears of War 2 Soundtrack Feat. Shitty Band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanderbetke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Gears of War 2 Soundtrack Feat. Shitty Band Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone else love the soundtrack for Gears of War 2? I feel “How It Ends” was the perfect song they could’ve picked for the trailer. Try annihilating some locust while listening to the whole album!

[LINK DELETED]

Cheers!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I preferred Cole Train's rap.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i thought you were joking wes but youtube proved me wrong.

goddamn gears of war is some fucking bullshit though. you poor console-fucking fuckers.

if the games industry was more creative they'd pick up annoying fringe bands to do thematic bits. like the "bad guys" in gears of war are locust. so why not hire the locust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puf9K9bNL9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNrbood0RwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4I119QfDBY

we've (read: me) has already established that game soundtracks are fucking terrible and that millions of children are doomed each year to buy the soundtracks on cd and then make post anime videos on youtube.

surely it costs less to license tiny music labels than it does to pay some fuckface to do a REALLY DRAMATIC STRINGS soundtrack, no? i know you're kinda stuck in that mold with western rpgs because ITS THE MIDDLE AGES SON and lord knows that medieval warfare had a lot of cellos in it but with modern games about blowing stuff up they should really do things one of two ways:

1) fuck the cock rock with eyeliner shit - go for the dumbest, most bruuuuutal shit you can find on the cheap and have the game play three or four songs at once while you just flip the fuck out and totally kill shit.

2) wuss it up so hard that the dichotomy causes whiplash. hire a lab to do some splicing between coldplay and radiohead so you get something that only has enough spinal tension to sway back and forth and weep a bit. hire the guy from iron and wine! find a bunch of belle and sebastian fans, convince them that there was a horrible van accident, and then use the tribute album the mailing list puts out. go that extra fucking mile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
goddamn gears of war is some fucking bullshit though. you poor console-fucking fuckers.

I know this is not supposed to be a serious thread, but Gears of War has nothing to do with console vs PC. It's made by fucking Epic. They're essentially the company that defined PC gaming as dude with gun kills monsters/aliens.

Music during game credits does tend to be pretty bad though.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gow has everything to do with consoles versus the future of humanity.

EVERYTHING.

terrible, terrible game. which incidentally came out on pc like a year and a half later.

seriously though epic is out of the loop, as per recent announcements. or rather, strategically positioning themselves to get the fuck out of the loop:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/03/13/epic-unreal-engine-4-console-exclusive/

also they didn't define shit, that was id. unreal was always overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Epic helped define the shareware model of distribution for games , and titles like Jazz Jackrabbit and Jill of the Jungle were really popular and subsequently emulated. Then being when scrolling platformers were still fairly novel on PCs. Other games, like Solar Winds, were fantastic as well. Still are, actually.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it comes to killing shit, they didn't define shit. which was the original context of this shit.

shit!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!

Shit.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. People who are all about PC games tend to think that any move toward consoles is the equivalent of a company taking their ball and going home. The article linked has the title of "Epic abandoning PC game development" then goes on to say, "consoles will be the lead platform for Unreal Engine 4," then finally admits at the end, "oh yeah, consoles were also the lead platform for Unreal Engine 3, but PC games that also run on this engine work just fine."

I'm not saying that PC gaming is dying, but it's being replaced by multiplatform gaming. It's the same thing that's happening to console games, just more compounded and drastic since the interfaces tend to be different. Games these days cost so much to make that it's silly for a third party to release a game on just one platform: PCs included.

But getting back to my original point: using Epic as a poster child for console games having bad music doesn't hold water. Epic is traditionally a PC game company and its music is just as bad now as it's always been. Come to think of it, is it even possible to make the argument that PC games have good music? They seem pretty equal in shittiness to me.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever dhex. Gears of War 2 is a fine game.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never played the sequel.

Quote:
People who are all about PC games tend to think that any move toward consoles is the equivalent of a company taking their ball and going home.

yeah, that's true. i don't think i ever played any epic titles beyond the first unreal.

but i think you are somewhat underestimating some of the tangibles of multi-platform development. for example, it's often easy to tell which titles were developed with a gamepad/joystick in mind. not being created for a keyboard, for example, changes the way the control scheme is introduced. to pick examples off the top of my head - bioshock, blacksite, assassin's creed, gears of war - were made for stick control and it shows.

on the other hand, there is a lot of nostalgic gnashing of teeth by some pc types that paves a past that's a bit too free of blemish.

unreal, even.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come to think of it, is it even possible to make the argument that PC games have good music

sir! SIR!

i would never make such an argument. that would be silly. i hates me some strings and things.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream about meeting John Romero, last night.

I never wanted to wake up.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

says i, you're ten years irrelevant, john
i never cut my hair, he said. i never cut my hair.

so what was he like?

maybe rage will be interesting?

actually, thinking of cross platform dev woes, far cry 2 comes to mind. now there's a lot that structurally wrong with far cry 2, despite a lot of it being both pretty and ingenious (fighting with fire, for example) but the diamond collection shit? pure bullcrap. it's directly drawn from the collect em all bucket, the one that assumes you have nothing better to do.

and that brings us to the scourge of scourges: achievements.

fuck achievements. achievements may be ok for the adderall-addicted monkey spawn of a thousand and one distracted parents, but it's a) distracting as all hell and b) ridiculous as all fuck. from a community-building standpoint, they're brilliant. it's great. you encourage competition and comparison, and it helps personalize your insta-network of players. a few, like the gnome in episode 2, are even clever.

but not being able to disable them is unskippable cutscenes lame, and infuriating. that's why all hope rests in the hands of insane eastern european developers, presuming they can pull their hands out of their tracksuits long enough to stop putting nekkid lady pokemons in otherwise excellent rpgs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall talking to him on a bus about how much I liked Quake 3, which in hindsight may have been a little rude.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with dhex frequently in this thread.

I asked John Romero if I could interview him years ago and he said SURE WHY NOT and then he never answered my questions. I must have accidently said something offensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ask him why he ever referred to Stevie Case as his wife on his blog, and then editted it to say she was his girlfriend when he revealed he'd imporeted himself a new bride?

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he did what now?

you'd think dudes with fabio hair would be knee deep in all sorts of women with no taste.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was that a deliberate doom reference, dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh snap.

i am a poet unaware of my own status as such.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just being petty . Pay no mind

edit: Monkey Island 2 minimum requirements post

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petty or not, the real question is what kind of shipping and handling you pay when you get a mail order bride.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather interview John Carmack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: