The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Command and Conquer Gold (Abondonware thread?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Command and Conquer Gold (Abondonware thread?) Reply with quote

I felt like revisiting my childhood by playing Command and Conquer Gold the other day, and was pleased to find out that it had been freeware by the current owners of the franchise! Google 'Command and Conquer Gold Torrent' and you will find it. Not only that, but it has Windows XP and high-res patches! You have to download the disc ISOs and then burn them to CD or mount them to a virtual drive to play. Great!

Sadly, the initial install program is some kind of antiquated Windows 95 piece of shit that won't run on my computer for love or money, no matter what compatibility mode I put it in :(

I wonder. Maybe one of you guys could install the game and then just share your installed game directory? I this this would work!
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned the ISO onto a disc and it went through the install process - C:\WESTWOOD\C&C95 - like it did way back when. The high resolution patch has a big problem of a large chunk of the right side of the screen becoming static after a minute or two of play, so when you scroll around, the rest of the screen moves but that entire area shows whatever was on screen at the moment when the image froze.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I don't have a CD drive, so that's not an option for me. Can you put your C&C95 folder in a zip and upload it somewhere?
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I accidentally uploaded the wrong folder - this one is based on me using my old disks to install. It's only 18 MB (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RGF2Y8NG) in case it's any help. I'll track down the install from the downloaded version tonight.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thankyou! I'll let you know if it works.
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone played those Sierra VGAifications? I didn't realize the King's Quest ones came out so long ago; I thought it was just a couple of years back. I remember when they arrived, and the controversy surrounding them.

Never played the Quest for Glory games, except the fourth one. I liked that one a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Wow, thankyou! I'll let you know if it works.

I can't find it in my Vista partition. If that doesn't help any, let me know and I'll see about redownloading the free version and installing it to get the proper folder tree/files.

The megaupload also has the high resolution patch unzipped into the folder as well, so if it works for you then just drag and drop your C&C icon onto the icon of the desired resolution and it'll do the rest for you.

-

I never tried the rereleased King's Quest titles. I did get Quest for Glory yesterday and am planning on giving it a go today. Dungeons and Desktops talks a good bit about the series, and the first one sounds awesome. It was also released again, but I don't think it was purtified like the second one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: