The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experimental Gameplay Workshop '08 Call for Participation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Experimental Gameplay Workshop '08 Call for Participation Reply with quote

Hey guys, many of you may be aware of the Experimental Gameplay Workshop, a popular recurring session at the Game Developers Conference. With the old GDC rolling around in February this year, ringleader Jonathan Blow and his associates are looking for interesting, original, even experimental projects to showcase. Perhaps you are a developer or even just a dabbler, or perhaps you'd like to refer a game by someone else. Here's the call for participation, which includes instructions on how to submit a game, and here's the official EGW frontpage, which is not 100% up-to-date, but you get the idea.

For people not so familiar with the EGW, it's a very popular session that gets bigger every year. Creators of original and unconventional games or demos get up and talk about their work. Last year, Portal and Crush were demonstrated, as were some lesser-known, and even private, projects. The audience gets really into it and it's generally a hilarious and high-energy experience.

This year I'm on the advisory panel which selects the games to be shown, so I am a legitimate guy to contact if you have any questions or thoughts.

- David

P.S. I duplicate-posted this at selectbutton.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it wasnt for the fact they had CRUSH last year, id give this a shot with Fez.

but you know... lol looks like crush.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO IT ANYWAY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i asked Jon, and he said the fact that crush was there last year wouldnt automatically rule me out, but the Fez demo as it is (he played it) isnt innovative enough from a strickly gameplay perspective besides the fact that Fez is played all in 2D, where crush is mostly 3D.

The IGF demo was a very, very simple, stripped down version of what we're hoping to make. it was the core 3d rotation mechanic in its simplest expression, and not much else.
maybe next year, when we actually have some cool puzzles and interesting mechanics in there, but as it is now, the game is very rough around the edges gameplay wise. i think we got nominated mostly on perceived potential (the judge feedback reflects this) and because it looks pretty cool, especially opposed to that dark and damp boring mauve and yellow mess that was crush.

also, me and the rest of kokoromi were at EGS last year to present gamma01, so, twice in a row with a game thats similar to a game that was also there last year....s'a bit of a stretch...
parkbench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as a wide-eyed layman, I'm wondering what the long-term projection for Fez is? Should I be making notches in the wall/a calendar? Should I forget about it and rediscover it in a little while?
fish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give or take a year.
we're really just getting started.
we barely made the IGF deadline, and what we shipped is pretty much our FPP.

i so...forget about it so as to not hype yourself then be dissapointed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: