The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I really want to play Gemstone again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: I really want to play Gemstone again Reply with quote

I'm afraid if i log into play.net though, that my life will disappear and i will shell out money for extra verbs

and wait up all night to maybe get an altered item

and throw myself at the foot of holiday invasions

no this was supposed to be a thread about how i shouldn't play gemstone again but now im convincing myself

and i berate people for playing WoW.
Look at me
im pathetic

i want to pay 12 dolalrs a month to play a text game and type at kob at gol

and when i talk in aim i preface everything with ' becuase im so used to making conversation in gemstone

oh man

dont do it daphny dont play gemstone

did any of you guys play gemstone?

i like to yell I WANT A BROADSWORD!!!! and leap from the tree in town square landing on my head and immediately getting healed
and then repeating the process
seriously guys if you think its so annoying why do you keep healing me

i miss my cute fake bunny fur jacket with attached bunny paw mittens and my cute pink floppy bunny ears and my pink dancing bunny shield and my runeblade with a long LOOK description oh god so pathetic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo ooo and i want to hang out in the tree with a high level sorcerer and tell him to zap off all of my limbs until im just a stump and then since i have nothing to lean on i roll out of the tree
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

Gemstone was in Next Generations list of top 10 PC online games back in the day. That's about all I know about it.
just enemies now
just enemies now

oh yeah and i want to ride the FIFTEEN MINUTE LONG FERRY RIDE to rivers rest and have nothing to do but bet on cockroach races
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i want to thump low level players so they cant talk for twenty minutes

and then i want to talk about the COUNCIL OF LIGHT on the thought channel and get stalked by evil red eyes for hours
and i see htem

"you see dark eyes peering at you from a distance.."

and then out of nowhere BLAM i get decapitated by a ninja!

and then i want to leave the COUNCIL OF LIGHT becuase i realize its an EVIL EMPIRE so i have to battle myself and die

and then join voln and do their leveling up puzzles and slide down the massive waterslide and get lost in the middle of nowhere
and just wait and wait
and hopefully i see someone walk by that ISNT using a script and i yell and maybe they take me back to town

no one can hear you scream in the wilderness
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to name my character pookasaurus rex and get forced to change my name becuase it doesnt MIX with THE THEME OF THE GAME and i want to argue with the mods or the admins or whatever about how this game takes place in dark ages which mean there had to be dinosaurs there will always be dinosaurs

and then have them explain to me that gemstone takes place in an alternate, but similar universe and then i say FUCK THAT WHAT UNIVERSE DOESNT HAVE DINOSAURS and have to walk around with soap in my mouth for 24 hours and everytime i say something people just see

"pookia burps up some bubbles"
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to rejoin the rogues guild and sweep crystal golems and see them crash on the ground

i want to hide ambush limbs and necks and lob off limbs and heads and use them as weapons

i want people who have been playing the game for 10+ years to only be level 80

i want to see Plur in his soggy diaper and drink an ale with him in the tavern and have him tell me about the good ol days when people didnt have to pay to adventure
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want lauren to play with me and whine about how she cant find the kobold village and i scream at her how will you get ANYHWERE IF YOU CANT FIND THE KOBOLDS duh its

s sw s s go bush down

and there you are!!! just walk around!

i want to pick chests in the east tower and act all cute and get huge tips
and then i want to find a scarab and go "OOOO A SCARAB GUYS IM KIND OF LOW LEVEL" and then before everyone in the room can say 'POOK NO POOK DONT DO IT"

i roll a critcal fail and watch a scarab crawl up my arm, i watch my hit points go down and someone attempts to cut off my arm but THEY fail and cut off my leg

and i yell at them THE SCARAB ISNT IN MY LEG and someone comes in the tower "what is pook yelling about this time AHH A SCARAB WHY DOES SHE ALWAYS TRY TO DISARM THOSE" and by that point im dead and people are dragging me to town square and the scarab is crawling in someones leg

but the person ambushes their arm correctly and then immediately kills the scarab

after im resurrected, i giggle and come back and collect my tip
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played gemstone III on AOL 12 years ago, for a while. that was pretty cool.

recently, i spent about two weeks playing dragonrealms. also pretty nice, but that game is basically meant to be botted. for some reason i really enjoyed rigging some basic scripts that "felt" like, say, a wizardry game and playing through thattaway.

I used to be big into MUDs, and text adventures in general. Still sort of am, but other things occupy me these days.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want every single person whos never seen me in gemstone thats above level 30 to go "haw haw better not hunt pookas"

and then i glare at them "NO BECUASE MOBS ARE ALWAYS BEFORE PLAYERS WHEN YOU'RE ATTACKING YOU THINK I HAVENT CHECKED BECUASE I HEARD THAT BAD BAD BAD JOKE BEFORE"
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:

I used to be big into MUDs, and text adventures in general. Still sort of am, but other things occupy me these days.

yeah i dont think i have the time to invest in muds anymore, but remembering them is kind of nice
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps every mud by these people is practically the same

just so you know

after a while of playing gemstone dragonrealms seemed oddly familiar, and then it fucking hit me

they're like the nintendo of the mud community.

dragonrealms has an mmo version called heroes' journey that may/may not come out eventually. it looks like crap - but an interesting sort of crap. i might try and beta it.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way i played that game modus operandi and it was a fucking abortion

but yeah dragonrealms and gemstone are basically the same, in fact i dont know why they both exist, they should piss everyone off and just meld the worlds

i also love how play.net holds your character FOREVER because they know you'll be back
i just emailed them and after like a six-year hiatus they still have pookia ready for me

not playing not playing not playing
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my uncle's account totally has my elven thief still on it for gemstone, i'm sure

and i know my elothian warmage is still kickin' it oldskool in DR.

modus operandi was a cute idea that should've been shot in utero, you're absolutely right.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing the Discworld MUD as a 12-year-old and thinking 'man, if this had proper 3D graphics I would be on the news for never ever stopping playing with it'. I could easily have been one of those WOW kids if I'd been born ten years later.

I was amazed the first time I went into an empty guildhall and slaughtered a bunch of imps and then have a genuinely pissed-off real person tell me that those imps are for the pleasure of the guild members. And it also became a handy tool for social interaction, since I would fully get caught in the fantasy and form bonds and alliances with people based on their in-game representation. For example, once I was about to get murdered in an alley by 'muggers' (relatively weak in-game AIs) and a big dude who'd been playing for months came in and slaughtered all of them, rescuing me. I was like 'WOW PRETTY COOL HOW YOU HANDLED THOSE MUGGERS!!!1' and from that point on he just let me follow him round, like a real-life not-real-life Bravd and the Weasel, or Indiana Jones and Short Round.

I got bored of it for reasons I couldn't put my finger on at the time. Maybe because it didn't capture the tone of the Discworld Novels very well? It just replicated the setting.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize they'd keep your characters for so long! I've kept my account active for about a year without playing just because I didn't want to loose Elsiniore, even though he's only like 10th level.

Wow, now that I think about, is Elsinore worth $150?
Cossix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some sort of club for twelve year olds that played Discworld. That game was a lot of fun, but I guess really I got tired of it because it's pretty unfocused. I got bored of MUDs because it never seemed like there was much to do but kill things and talk to people.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've never played gemstone
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. You could join guilds in Discworld! I never figured out how though.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know the whole thing with

ring bell
kneel
take gem drop gem take gem drop gem take gem take gem drop gem
ring bell ring bell
stand

and then listen to the stupid godess drone on and on about worshipping her

and i had to do this all the time becuase i died all the time and i had to get DEEDS
FUCK DEEDS
FUCK YOU DEEDS

man i really hated getting deeds but i was really scared of my corpse rotting and my character dying forever!!
Cossix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Um. You could join guilds in Discworld! I never figured out how though.

I had two characters, one in the thieves' guild and one in the assassin's guild. They were both pretty good, I think! Alas, I just got bored Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: