The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Phocas Island 2 (adventure!).

How do I play this in zDoom?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's right. Use GZDoom. I keep forgetting to mention that.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more noob question. How do you play this co-op? Please tell me it's online co-op.

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do Phocas 2 in anything other than single player. You can play ZDooM online though, either using the command line to manually specify an IP or something more modern like ZDaemon or Skulltag, like everyone else does. Since both those are based off of ZDoom the other games that it supports (Hexen, Heretic, Strife) can also be played online.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread just to say that I played through the first level of Painkiller just now and damn, does it feel good to see the old Doom/Serious Sam style shoot-everything-that-moves type game isn't completely extinct. I really should have gotten around to this game sooner.

My crowd control skills are a bit rusty though, I just barely made it through the level. I had like two or three health points at the very end, and according to the score screen I missed some stuff I could have found. Man it's like the secret areas with Doom all over again Smile.

I especially like how it gave me a tarot card that when activated/equipped/whatever I only take half damage from enemies. If the game keeps doling out these kinds of little bonuses and such based on your performance... well, I might just be inspired to go back through those previous levels.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, don't get me started on Painkiller Sad I'm glad you're enjoying it, I guess, but I think it's quite rubbish! It's the most vapid FPS experience I've ever come across. And it's not in any way a spiritual succesor to DooM, darn it!

I'll post my reasons so there is some actual discussion. For one thing, the game has zero atmosphere. I mean, it has all these cool, moody locations and appropiate music when no enemies are around, but as soon as some come about, this crappy rock music starts playing and completely destroys any atmosphere it may have had.

The biggest problem is the gameplay. It's just so vapid. Instead of creating a set of enemies that complement each other (ala DooM, Serious Sam), each level has their own 1-3 set of enemies, which carelessly swarm the player, so that after playing a level for 60 seconds I've had enough of it already.

Also, Painkiller just swarms you with enemies in arenas. This wasn't what DooM was about! Half the gameplay came from the challenge the environment gave you, and the fantastic set-pieces and situations these created. Just look at the level Tricks & Traps in DooM II. I think it's an insult to DooM to compare it to Painkiller.

The game has some fun weapons (though I think not all of them were tweaked enough to match the gameplay), and lots of varied locations and enemies, but It feels like they came up with all these REALLY AWESOME YAHOO YEAH ideas and forgot to build a compelling game to put them in. The worst problem is that I just didn't find it satisfying. It was missing that spark that heavy action FPS games so desperately need. I was mowing down all these enemies, but it was like, "so what?"

Sorry Mech, this game is just one of my pet hates. I think it should have stayed in obscurity. Serious Sam is a much better game, in my opinion. I hope Serious Sam 3 doesn't suck!

Mr Mech you should post here more again.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay that you hate Painkiller, Cycle. I might even hate it at some point as well. I mean, I've only played the first level and the back of the box proudly touts thirty four singleplayer levels. I'm pretty sure I'll get tired of it around the halfway mark, probably. But it's been so long since I played a decent over-the-top FPS that threw more than three or four bad guys at you at a time. At the same time though I'm totally okay with the game just being a big shooting gallery. I mean, those can be pretty fun too!

Serious Sam is indeed a better game, I'll admit. Comparing the first levels of Serious Sam and Painkiller right next to each other will tell anyone that. Painkiller closes off all your exits whenever you enter a new area and then starts spawning generic bad guys. Serious Sam dumps you in a huge open environment and relentlessly swarms you with many different types of varied enemies that have their own special kinds of attacks and behaviors. However, I no longer have Serious Sam. I used to have Second Encounter and it was alright. Maybe I'll look for it this weekend, but maybe not.

Also Doom had just as many big open areas with lots of baddies as it did clever/tricky little set piece type areas, I think. The design was kind of conflicted like that, but in the end we still wound up with Doom so I guess it evened out along the way.

I'll try to start posting more again, I guess. I still check the boards about every day but I just lately haven't felt as though I had much to add to what was already going on.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painkiller does good cathedrals. And there's a really nice shipyard level near the end of the game and that whole last level is just a cool idea.

After sniping through all the levels in Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Painkiller's feel like a step in the right direction. Actually the whole game feels like a step in the right direction since SSE showed that you can't get lucky doing the same game twice. That said, Painkiller could have done with more "good". Each level had a couple of good bits in it and you think it's going to continue like that but then the enemies and the entire structure of the action gets diluted with an even more blatant Smash TV syndrome than Sam did. I hear deathmatch is excellent but I doubt it gets played anymore.

Even though me and Cycle rag on SSE a lot there are some really great scenes like entering the Valley of the Jaguar for the first time, or when you get teleported into that endless ice field and there's just one building stuck right in the middle or the sky in the last level. It's no Egypt but it's not like it's totally terrible. Thats Serious Sam 2. Or any third-party Sam level, they are all hell of shit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Man, don't get me started on Painkiller Sad I'm glad you're enjoying it, I guess, but I think it's quite rubbish!

Mr Mech you should post here more again.

I completely agree with both these statements, and everything written in between. What makes Serious Sam so great (and why I even liked SS2 a bit) was the way its design makes it thrilling, and FUN. It's perfectly comfortable being absurd, where Painkiller is always trying to be badass and just ends up grueling and boring.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder where I could find a techically proficient Doom programmer. I have a killer idea for a doom mod, and it would barely require any new assets at all, just some basic programming! I might have mentioned this on here before, but if not here it is again:

Quote:
I think the last time I thought about ‘how to make Doom better’ I settled on the Pacman Championship Edition solution; a single arena, with monsters that replenish. Maybe even make it score based. Bigger and better weapons appear every now and again, but they run out after maybe 20 seconds, and you go back to the shotgun (which has unlimited ammo).

You’d also want to tweak a few things here and there, like maybe the chainsaw is super-powerful, every monster you kill adds one second to your timer (which maxes out at 30) or something like that. Oh and while we’re at it, the arena morphs and changes shape over time, through the use of walls that become floors, etc. I’d certainly like to play that game! I don’t suppose it would even be all that hard to make!

Man, who wouldn't want to play that?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm totally with you. The first painkiller (I haven't played the sequel) is pretty no nonsense, shooting gallery gore. Guys pop apart at the seams like those toys where if you press the bottom the animal falls apart because the string holding him together comes loose. I mean, that pretty much sums up the game. The level design ranges from terrible to pretty good, so it runs the gamut.

Mech, I'm with you on this even if the game does get a little tired towards the end.

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harvey, you should totally download ZPack and a recent version of (G)ZDoom and warp to e3m0.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok!

Those new Doom monsters they've come up with on that page are excellent!

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people seem to enjoy Painkiller because they haven't played a mindless game like that for so long, I guess that's why I never liked it... I play mindless shooters all the time. The whole experience just feels so Hollow to me. It's like playing Mortal Kombat over Street Figher, you know? And I mean, the latest MK against Street Fighter 4! But hey, if you get a kick out of it, that's cool! Maybe I'm just a FPS snob, since they're my favourite genre.

Also! I don't think DooM is as mindless as people think! It's true there are plenty of arena areas (but at least it doesn't trap you inside a tiny area and instead lets you get more creative with your survival tactics) but the secrets really make you use your noggin'. The influence Miyamoto had on Romero is really evident in the first episode for example... the "see but can't reach" philosphy is applied constantly, and finding that oddly textured well is much like finding that cracked wall in Zelda. Really, the first episode feels like a FPS Zelda game where all the puzzles are optional! The second game is where the game found its real identity with stuff like Tricks & Traps which is such an amazing level, but I'll go on about DooM II another time.

Harveyjams your dream DooM wad sounds suspiciously similar to SURVIVAL MODE in Marathon: Durandal!

Sorry if my recent posts are unreadable, I haven't slept the entire weekend. I plan to sleep for most of tomorrow. But I won't because I hate staying in bed Sad
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just found out that you can assign a map button in Marathon. I saw someone access the map during gameplay in a youtube video. So I check the preferences and yep, I can totally assign a button to bring up the game map during play. I set it to Q, since I'm using a WASD + Mouse setup and E is the 'use' key.

So now the game just got a whooooole lot easier. I never really got that far in the game before because I kept getting lost and figured I just had to memorize the map layouts from the terminals. Man, now I'm hitting that map key every five seconds it seems like and I'm starting to actually play the game the way I should have been playing it all along. I'm up to level six so far, and I may just go the distance this time!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the map is crucial in Marathon! Even moreso in the sequels! No wonder you didn't get anywhere before.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action DooM 2! Where the first one did it with guns, this one does it with fists. It doesn't require doom2.wad either, so everyone can play it.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, that looks amazing
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I killed some street punks with a broken Jack Daniels bottle!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called up a buddy on the phone! Then I beat some punks with a lead pipe, a piece of wood with a nail in it, and a chain! Then I beat up the village people and destroyed a homosexuals car!
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit there's a gun in the filing cabinet in that room you start out in. Not many bullets, though you can still pistol whip people after you run out!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I found that gun!

This game is actually pretty amazing. I like the multiple paths! I'm running to a farmhouse now, after navigating a minefield and avoiding a sniper!
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what exactly do i need to run this?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the files it downloads with.

I didn't realise you guys were all playing this too! My review of it is: 'well-meaning but dumb'. It's a good proof of concept that you could make a streets of rage-style game in Doom, but this ain't it D:

Also, they are realy flattering themselves with the description of the 'Sin City-style artwork.'
More like Nemi in the Metro-style artwork!

Action Doom 1 is supposed to be an attempt to make Contra in Doom, so I have high hopes for that!

UPDATE: HOPES CRUSHED.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Harvey, did you play that map I told you to?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on my list!

Me and Cycle are still playing Action Doom 2! It would be the best game ever if it didn't suck! I'm trying to find cheat codes for this game so I can look at all the cool and secret weapons, but the internet seems to be largely unaware of its existance. Did it only just come out, or something?

Seriously NO-ONE is talking about this game on this internet. I think it needs championing!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like, yesterday.

The regular DooM cheats should work I am not sure if they were changed or not. Or you could just use the same console codes that every first-person shooter has used since Quake came out.

I think I've found all the endings. I've also found that you can screw yourself if you don't find the secret in the woods stage with the mines before exiting the map. I kind of like how this game excessively uses portals and creates HOM effects and tears in the geometry but that's because I like to pick at the holes in user maps.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should start a thread on it on Selectbutton! I am sure they would be all over it.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should start a thread, I'm staying away from there.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB doesn't deserve this game.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Cycle have emailed the maker of Action Doom 2 with a big list of things we want him to change! We are basically proposing that he spends an extra three months on it. Also I think Cycle abused his power as a games journalist to dangle the prospect of stardom in front of his face, I had nothing to do with it D:
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
streets of rage-style game in Doom

obligatory "if the franchise hadn't been dead, that probably would have killed it" comment about streets of rage 4
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPERDUPER DMSP QUAKE 1.6 ULTIMATE SUPERDUPER DUKE NUKEM VERSUS THE GALAXY THERMONUCLEAR EDITION!!!
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing Doom 2 on Nightmare difficulty. Using god mode because I'm weak, haha. It's been so long since I played this that I've forgotten the layouts of the maps for the latter half of the game. Just made it to level twelve or thirteen I think, in the part of the game where you're working towards closing up the entrance to hell. This game is insane when you're fighting dozens of enemies at once.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare mode, really? I always saw that difficulty as a novelty and not something you'd like to play the entire game as, even with God mode on!

I met a chick who told me she beat DooM on nightmare, I think she was trying to impress me. Unfortunately, LIES DO NOT IMPRESS.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novelty? Nah, I think Nightmare mode is the intended way to experience Doom after you've got the level layouts memorized. Because then it's all about just surviving long enough to reach the exits. In support of this theory I point to the fact that invisibility and invulnerability power ups seem a bit more prevalent in the higher difficulties. It's not supposed to be completely impossible, just really really hard.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure it was a novelty because even the developers claimed they couldn't beat it.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the furthest John Romero got in the original DooM is E1M3. Which is also how far I can get!
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Wow that's crazy. Now I'm off to youtube to see if anyone's made it past E1M3 on Nightmare!

Edit: Apparently not!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some non-speedrun demos for each level of Ultimate DooM done on Nightmare from pistol starts. If you have a root around in the lmps section you can find tonnes of shit a nice example being a zip full of Tyson runs (a Tyson run kills all monsters using only the fist and chainsaw though the pistol is allowed). Knock yourselves out.

I wish I could find the full game Nightmare speedrun with fast monsters on. That one's my favourite demo. It's probably up on compet-n, I haven't been there in a while but it might be.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played through SIN EPISODE: EMERGENCE. Imagine Half-Life 2 but with more gore, cussin', colours and tits, and you have this game. So I kinda liked it more than Half-Life 2.

Seriously though, the games are so similar! Sin doesn't have quite so extravagant set-pieces, instead it relies more on the combat which is slightly less shallow than that of Half-Life. I actually had a pretty good time with this, despite it getting infuriatingly hard later on. The difficulty is ADAPTIVE which means if you're going really well, it will make the enemies tougher. Which I think is dumb! I prefer carefully designed difficulty curbs to this crap. Unfortunately, you can’t turn it off; only make the game tone things down quicker if you keep dying at one spot.

It’s also missing some of the things I liked about the first game. Blade doesn’t have any personality anymore, for one thing, and the levels aren’t as interactive. But yeah, overall I had a good time with it. Was a fun enough corridor shooter. It's like an interactive 80's/early 90's action movie.

I also played the original Sin, which came free with EPISODE (which I bought for $3). It suffers from that floaty feeling so many FPS games of this era had. Nothing has any weight, and Blade controls so loosely. It’s pretty frustrating. Didn’t anyone play Quake before they decided to copy it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Chaos: Riot Response is a fascist wetdream.

By which I mean, ramming people in the face with a riot shield then tasering them until they ignite is Hella fun.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really dissapointed when I found out that wasn't a sequel to the original Urban Chaos.

It did look kinda fun, though.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I just played through SIN EPISODE: EMERGENCE...

What? You're crazy man. I bought it on steam when it was on sale for some ludicrously low price (like $5 or something), and I couldn't even finish it. It was pretty terrible man. Oh, and boobs.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know heaps of people didn't like it, and I can see why. But I can enjoy pretty much any FPS game. Oh, and boobs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I was really dissapointed when I found out that wasn't a sequel to the original Urban Chaos.

Yeah, everyone makes that mistake.

I got it for £3, so if you can find it cheap, give it a go. It's just pure zero tolerance police brutality.

SPOILERS: The civil rights activist is evil!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I also played the original Sin, which came free with EPISODE (which I bought for $3). It suffers from that floaty feeling so many FPS games of this era had. Nothing has any weight, and Blade controls so loosely. It’s pretty frustrating. Didn’t anyone play Quake before they decided to copy it?

I bought SiN back in the day since it was quite a big game and looked top of the line, back in those days when I bought games based on such qualities alone. And look where that got me.

I suppose once you get the game up to the latest version it turns into a good game, if you can get over the EMPTY PROMISES. Deathmatch was pretty fun though, especially the map with the proto-Serious Sam multiple gravity areas, like the Escher print, Relativity. Then Half-Life came along and killed it and it's stupid tits. Or Unreal, boy that was a game, I'm glad I put off buying it for a few years later when it was free on a PCPowerplay coverdisc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chex Quest 3.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still playing the original Marathon, up to level eight so far! I think this puts me at about 1/4 of the way through the game. Level design is starting to get kind of interesting. The music and sound effects manage to make this game way more creepy and atmospheric than it would be otherwise. I turned the HUD back on as well since I decided I liked seeing how much ammo I had and whether I needed to find a health recharge station or not. Pretty handy that I did, considering that this level I'm on has a depleting oxygen meter that needs to have at least one eye kept on at all times!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Chex Quest 3.

Wow. After all these years. . .

Too bad in all that time I've developed an inability to play choppy first person shooters. I get motion sick.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: