The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I Got A New Job… Blogging About Cell Phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: So I Got A New Job… Blogging About Cell Phones Reply with quote

I posted this at SB, but a part of me feels that I'll get a better reception here...

As some might know (okay, just Shaper and dhex) I recently got a new job, blogging about cell phones. I’ve been doing it for about a week now, and it’s going fairly well. You can check out what I’ve written thus far here. I’m “ZedgeNova” btw (I wanted to go with FortNinety, but my new boss insisted that a new, separate identity be created, for reasons such as branding… sure, whatever).

So… sounds boring doesn’t it? I gotta say, there’s a bunch of blogs out there already, and a lot of them kinda are. Hence why my game plan is to more or less do exactly what I’ve been doing over at my own site, except focus it on cell phones. Meaning, assorted links to interesting or wacky stuff when I come across it, mixed with opinions, insight, and inane banter/ranting from my end. As silly as it sounds, there’s more than a few “personalities” in the world of general game blogging, but very few when it comes to cell phones, and while I’m not looking to be some stupid character, there is an opening there that I’d like to fill. Anyway, I was hoping that you folks might be kind enough to check it out. The bottom line is A) my bosses want to see page views, and B) I really like this job (it’s the first decent steady gig since… ummm… ever) and I kinda want to keep it that way. So if you guys can help me keep me my job by checking by often, maybe I can offer some info or entertainment in return?

Though more importantly, I know damn well that cell phones as a platform for gaming is somewhat of a joke, and it doesn’t have to be. Maybe I’m biased because I’ve designed games for the platform in the past, and do see some potential (which to a large degree is squandered by most). I guess another main reason why I’m even mentioning it is that a few folks around here want to make games, and I feel that cell phones are an excellent platform to cut your teeth on. I’m going to try and explore issues related to making the cell phone a viable platform, its strengths, and its weakness. In that sense, I would really appreciate any and all suggestions.

I’ve done two serious pieces thus far… please check them out…

http://blog.zedge.net/2007/05/03/cell-phones-yet-another-ellis-island-for-gamers-part-1/

http://blog.zedge.net/2007/05/04/cell-phones-yet-another-ellis-island-for-gamers-part-2/

… If any of you have any direct comments or question about the piece, I hate to be a schlep, but please address them directly at the site… again, my bosses are super interested in feedback as well!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: So I Got A New Job… Blogging About Cell Phones Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Though more importantly, I know damn well that cell phones as a platform for gaming is somewhat of a joke, and it doesn’t have to be.

This reminds me, did you ever read my Trip Hawkins interview over at GamesOnDeck?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did catch part one, but never part two. Thanks for reminding me!

And I hope you don't mind if I mention the interview over at my end. Smile
aerisdead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with any links to Games On Deck anywhere. In fact, I'd like as many as possible.

And good luck with the new job! The mobile games biz must be on the up, with folks like us getting involved!
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Gotta say, its kinda tough. Blogging about games in general is such a breeze, given the huge variety of stuff to cover.

Most mobile blogs are just too damn technical for my tastes, and 96% of those using cell phones could care less about such things. But finding a way to connect with those folks, even a small portion, will still be a challenge.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've been curious about is what's going on with the N-Gage? A bit more powerful than a GBA, but not as much as a PSP. It used a pretty nice and flexible OS instead of anything by Microsoft.

Back when it was still available in stores I remember there were working NES and SNES emulators for the little taco phone. There was even GBA emulation underway. Is there a community where enthusiasts for this system gather?

I've always kinda wanted to play Pocket Kingdom.and the Elder Scrolls game that are on it.

Heck, if there's an emulator that would let me play N-Gage things on the PC that would be swell too.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Campbell has a decent writeup on the N-gage.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Stuart Campbell has a decent writeup on the N-gage.

Wes did a pretty good write up about the N-Gage too

FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually know someone who worked for Nokia, and with the N-gage... and he really doesn't want to talk about it. Sad
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
I actually know someone who worked for Nokia, and with the N-gage... and he really doesn't want to talk about it. :(

Would you?

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
FortNinety wrote:
I actually know someone who worked for Nokia, and with the N-gage... and he really doesn't want to talk about it. :(

Would you?

Because I would like to know
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try and see if he'll sit down for an interview, or maybe just answer a few questions via email.

Oh, so since no one else has really brought it up already around here... I was a pretty big fan of Parasite Eve 2, and even as someone who's hopeful for the platform, I ain't too keen on the idea of part 3 for mobile handsets.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Let me try and see if he'll sit down for an interview, or maybe just answer a few questions via email.

Oh, so since no one else has really brought it up already around here... I was a pretty big fan of Parasite Eve 2, and even as someone who's hopeful for the platform, I ain't too keen on the idea of part 3 for mobile handsets.

I agree. It's kind of aggravating to hear about all of the games that have been announced for mobile lately. There's stuff I'd love to play if it were released on a platform I had, but there's no way I'm going to have multiple cell phones just to play certain games.

Specifically wish Parasite Eve 3, if the cell phone market is supposed to be a casual gamer's market what's the sequel to two cinema-heavy technological showcases that were primarily aimed at hardcore gamers doing on it?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's probably going to be a cruddy visual novel that you wouldn't want to play anyway?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, probably?

It's not as if they had it halfway done for a home console and they decided to shift development to this, you know? Just because some lousy cell game that's in some way related to the others gets the "3" in it's title doesn't mean you're actually missing out on something.
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m of the belief, as previously outlined in my posts at Zedge, that cell phones could be a great avenue for games that need to be “re-birthed”, such as the new cell phone version of Katamari, which I am honestly more excited about, more so than the upcoming next-gen editions, since there’s more promise of it being actually different, unlike the PS3/360 installments which seriously looks EXACTLY the same as before, not just graphically but gameplay-wise.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again. One last bit of spam, I promise.

Not sure if any of you guys know this already, but I've recently begun reviewing cell phone games. For the time being, I'm concentrating on remakes of old arcade/console games. Such as...

Super Bomberman:
http://blog.zedge.net/2007/08/22/zedgeheadz-review-super-bomberman/

Burgertime:
http://blog.zedge.net/2007/08/10/zedgeheadz-review-burgertime-special/

Fatal Fury:
http://blog.zedge.net/2007/08/09/zedgeheadz-review-fatal-fury-mobile/

and Mega Man 2:
http://blog.zedge.net/2007/07/19/zedgeheadz-review-mega-man-2-for-cell-phones/

... I will tell you right now that Burgertime is maybe one of the best cell phone games available right now! I'm hoping these are helpful and to get some feedback (primarily the Bomberman one, since its been a while since playing the real deal, so some of my facts might be wrong), and not because if I don't get more site traffic soon, I'll be out of a job!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fort do you have any tips for someone who is trying to make a mobile game

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta review the twin Taito trainwrecks of Chase HQ 3D and Elevator Action 3D.

(Elevator action as a FPS? Really?)
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it really bad?

i wanted to believe it could work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
is it really bad?

I'm only baselessly calling it a trainwreck based off of screenshots and no actual experience. That's why I need Fort to review them!

(not that I can play them on the iPhone...)
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
is it really bad?

did you read the review of it at hardcore gaming 101? they did an elevator action special and did a little bit on the 3d game. it... looked quite unrelated to the original!

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/elevatoraction/elevatoraction.htm

Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
You gotta review the twin Taito trainwrecks of Chase HQ 3D and Elevator Action 3D.

(Elevator action as a FPS? Really?)

I'll try and check them out! BTW, I open for requests, and especially to talk to anyone who are working on a homebrew cell phone game.

Cycle wrote:
fort do you have any tips for someone who is trying to make a mobile game

That's a really tough question, one that I can't really answer, despite the fact that I had my own company for a while in which we created software for cell phones, including games. Or at least tried to.

Right now, cell phone gaming is a booming market, yet not too many folks are creating games, at least in America. The revenue stream is similar to console gaming. View Verizon and AT&T and others like MS, Sony, and Nintendo; each platform has games that is supplied by publishers... some games are exclusive, while many are available across the spectrum, though tweak to the specifications of the carrier's wants and needs.

The publishers simply provide games that they hire smaller firms to create. Many of these firms are small houses owned by the publisher, like how EA owns JamDat. Though a great deal of these games are assembled overseas. Though there are American houses here and there. But you're in Australia, am I correct Cycle?

So just as its tough for just any guy on the street to get their games on a major console, its the same for hopeful cell phone game creators. But wait a minute... the 360 and the PS3 does have channels open for indie developers. And anyone can create a game and sell it via shareware, so simply make a free game that's playable on the web. Unfortunately, such an infrastructure is not available for the cell phone. There's a lot of technical reasons, most of which is obvious to anyone that has any slight familiarity with the market. Hopefully that will change.

Though if you have an interest in creating a game, do it! Then shop it around to some dev houses, and see what happens. They might like it so much they buy if from you, or it could just land you a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: