The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the Wii Games, Part something something

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Where are the Wii Games, Part something something Reply with quote

From my friend Bill Harris' blog, Dubious Quality, quoting an anonymous source:

Quote:
I spoke to a developer friend on the weekend at a party and apparently, his company (who are making xxxxxxxxx) have been given a ton of dosh to polish their game by Nintendo. That's because Nintendo don't need to release any software right now as their system is still selling through the roof. They're doing this with other UK developers as well, apparently. Later in the year they're going to release a storm of uber-polished games.

This seems not unlikely, just because sales are still ridiculously brisk, so why bother releasing new titles when retailers can't keep Wiis in stock?
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fucking marketeers.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if they were actually called marketeers. I could get behind that.

Not that it matters to me since I still can't find one.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there has to be three of them.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:

Wait. Seriously?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't mind since I'm all set with Kororinpa.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Wait. Seriously?

Yeop.
Isfet

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. yea, there doesn't seem to be much going on at the moment, and Smash Bros. is the only thing i'm really interested in at the moment (and it doesn't even appear to be very Wii oriented). i guess we still have a while to go.

if they're holding back titles, then i guess that means the next year or two might be really interesting?
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can only hope.
B coma

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I still haven't seen them in stock in my area. People called me crazy for waiting in line the night prior to launch!

Ahem.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all move to Australia. I bought one off the shelf a couple days after launch and they are all over the place now.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've hardly touched mine lately, but I'm pretty certain the only top-notch games available are Excite Truck and Kororinpa, with nothing looking good in the near future.

If I remember to tomorrow I'm selling off Super Paper Mario to buy that new Taito collection, and switching my Mario Party 8 preorder over to Bioshock.

And I don't even have a working PC right now.
antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might like to pick one up some time later this year or early next. We're still expecting No More Heroes to be interesting, yes? Or at least of us who liked Killer 7.

I mean, I expect to be having the most fun with my PC (I just played a demo of the Lost Planet port — not bad!), but a Wii might be something fun on the side. I'm pretty sure I don't care about Nights 2, I definitely don't care about Mario Party, and I'll probably never play Twilight Princess at this point, so it'd be nice if there were some more "Ooh I want to play that" games for the console. Excite Truck and Kororinpa look like they're worth checking out, but they're certainly not the sort of games I'd dish out $50 for. The VC doesn't interest me at all — I've got my own archive of emulated games (and a few real ones, yeah).

I guess it doesn't matter. I'll most likely end up finishing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. after I'm done revisiting Panzer Dragoon Saga, and then in a few months I'll be playing the hell out of Bioshock, the Orange Box, and later on Left 4 Dead. I certainly won't need a Wii until at least next spring... When is NMH due out, anyway?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMH is probably not going to be localized until early 2008 but we can always hope; in the meantime, yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with "all the big titles are insufferably boring and all the great one-off games don't really seem to be worth the money although what is "worth the money" anyway.

i kind of wish i had four wiimotes because mario party looks fun. i do know (exactly) three other guys with wiis, if ever it came to that - i don't think it will, even if i could borrow a copy of the game for free from (gainful summer) work.

on my wii, i can play bomberman, gunstar heroes, street fighter 2, star fox 64, wii sports, or kororinpa. that software cost me a grand total of less than sixty-five dollars, and despite being violently unwilling to buy any more wiimotes i can still play all of those games multiplayer, be it with nunchuck or wavebird or hotseat. the only other games i see myself much wanting this year are smash bros and galaxy, unoriginal choices and hardly wii-requiring as they may be, although hell if i don't expect to be surprised at least once in the holiday season as i so often am.

and i really can't say the console is doing so badly (it's been around for six months remember; the oldest PS2 game i still own - ico - didn't make it out for nine) in light of all that.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at least moderately interested in the Resident Evil 4 port. But, yeah, the only thing in the forseeable future that will actually compel me to buy a Wii is Mario Galaxy.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, No More Heroes, Dragon Quest Swords, Mario Galaxy, and Umbrella Chronicles are what have me mostly interested in playing on the Wii right now. Then you have the , SD Gundam, Dewey's Adventure, Opoona, NiGHTS and RE4-wii as secondary interests which I'm paying attention to. There are a few games off in a distant third that are on my radar like Metroid, Harry Potter, Manhunt 2, Boogie, and Harvest Moon Wii. And we're all still holding out hope for the vaporware title Sadness.

On top of that I still don't have Excite Truck.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd honestly rather companies spend time polishing their games instead of rushing them out of the door. This doesn't bother me that much. I can find other ways to spend time if there aren't any HOT NEW VIDEOGAMES out to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: