The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets talk HDTV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Lets talk HDTV Reply with quote

So it turns out I have some money coming to me. I'm looking into buying an HDTV, but I have no idea where to begin. I'd like to spend between $2000 and $2500 and get an TV that's maybe 36-42inchesish. I've heard that if you cheap out you end up with a TV that doesn't process lower-end signals very fast and ends up delaying the image. I really want to avoid this. I'd also like a somewhat thin monitor so that the TV can slightly avoid being the centerpiece of the room. Any suggestions on where to look? Is it safe to buy online? Should I look buy a warranty or are the ones that come with the TVs usually enough? Any suggestions for specific TVs? LCD Plazma? What's the best?

Most of my A/V equipment is Sony, so I'd like to go with them, but I hear they've really fallen behind on hardware lately and that Samsung makes the best HDTVs. I don't know how true this is, but any suggestions that aren't tinted with bias would be nice.

If you don't feel like typing out all of this stuff I'm cool with links. Send 'em on over!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 29" Samsung myself. It was a cheapo at $400, and all I really wanted in a new (high definition) TV. As you might have guessed, it's a CRT and lacks DVI/HDMI ports, not that I'm going to desperately need them for anything later on, right? I mean, It was never intended to be shown off, and has a quiet space near the foot of my bed.

That, there, is the extent of my knowledge. I take it you're going to sink many thousands and want something huge and crisp and sharp and all that. Sorry I can't help you more.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your price and the size you want LCD is going to be the way to go.

Things to think about:

HDMI ports are going to be pretty manditory for anything over 720p while not losing image quality. DVI can work, but you may end up needing to use a HDMI->DVI converter if you go that route, but then again that will slightly delay the quality. If you want to get technical make sure to look for at least HDMI 1.3 as that is what the PS3 will be using. Something lower will work, but its similar to USB situations.

VGA is not standard. It is very common, but not all have it. It can be very good for emulation/PC gaming on your TV. Weigh out if you want it or not.

1080p. In the "HDTV and you" thread at IC I link to an article about the truth of 1080p or something like that. It is easier to find 1080p TVs the larger you go. The smaller the TV with 1080p the more it is going to cost over a 720p model. Again, read that article I link to because it talks about how some TVs that claim to be 1080p can't accept true 1080p signals (I don't know enough about it to explain it unfortunatly).

Online is safe... but just note that you are pretty much stuck with that TV when it arrives. The amount of things that can go wrong with manufacturing them is great, and the best thing is to sometimes just return it to the store. Also, while the warranty for a TV is usually enough to cover anything that breaks outright initially, standard wear and tear takes a heavier toll on these TVs than other electronics. Also, I know you will end up using it more than the "average daily use" most likely. If you go with Best Buy, your warranty will be for a total of 4 years, which is enough times to find all the problems that your TV will have, and if it starts to go dim by that time you can get a new one that will last another 4 years. If you get a plasma it should be manditory to have a warranty as refilling the gas in those things costs almost as much as a new TV. I don't recommend plasma for heavy gaming though as they are extreamly open to burn in (XBLA Galaga has been reported to leave burn from the bezel image after as few as 20 min of play).

Lastly, do a lot of research. Use AVSforums once you find a model to read about consumers opinions. Note that going there will only show you the negative side of things for that TV, most people who are happy with the TV aren't going to say so, only the people who are having problems.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
disneyland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

I picked up a new 32" Aquos last Christmas. It's awesome. I did LOTS of research. Go with Sharp or Samsung for cost and price on high-def LCDs. Both of them have massive contracts with liquid crystal fabs so they can get their prices down while keeping the contrast/build quality high. Don't worry about VGA so much. If you're still using a video card with VGA-only...dear god, it's time for an upgrade. Make sure it has at least 2 component arrays and 1 or 2 HDMI inputs. Also inquire about what kind of internal scaler it uses. Some brands use horrid technology. Sony apparently uses an excellent line-doubler, automatically upscaling non-HD signals to 1080i.

The Aquos looks stunning with games. My cable package also includes several high-def movie channels. You will literally weep the first time you see Sin City or House of Flying Daggers in proper high-def. Your eyes will thank you.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
Don't worry about VGA so much. If you're still using a video card with VGA-only...dear god, it's time for an upgrade.

First off, it's a laptop. Second: Dreamcast!

Third, I said to keep it in mind, but it is not manditory in any way.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
disneyland wrote:
Don't worry about VGA so much. If you're still using a video card with VGA-only...dear god, it's time for an upgrade.

First off, it's a laptop. Second: Dreamcast!

Third, I said to keep it in mind, but it is not manditory in any way.

You can buy laptops that have DVI out. Dreamcast VGA box works fine with a VGA-to-DVI adapter. Very cheap little item. However, your HDTV must accept DVI-I. Some displays only have DVI-D (digital only) ports. The Dreamcast doesn't play nice with digital. Also, another critical factor: the display has to support RGB signals. Luckily, my Aquos does. To give you an example of the wackiness of signals: I have a PC connected to the Aquos via DVI to HDMI. When I'm using the desktop for PC games, obviously it's a pure digital signal and the display runs in its normal 1080 mode. When I play Contra HC on a Genesis emulator, the display indicates that it has switched to RGB mode. I play 16-bit titles at 480p. It looks extremely sweet using the emulators' subtle sprite filtering and the display does the rest. Not blown out or dithered in the least. To hell with scanlines, bless them.

It's kind of trippy, because the physical connection to the LCD HD display is--ostensibly--all digital. The display accepts the analog portion of the signal (coming from the emulator) and it accommodates the color mode thanks to RGB support. The VGA box benefits from this as well.
disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sharp Aquos handles PS2 quite nicely, btw. Even non-progressive.

That said, I mean to buy one of those fancy upconverting boxes like the XRGB3. Use it to push the PS2 and Wii up to 720p. And to manage cables. When you have a high-def display you start thinking about shit like that because the SD stuff looks so poor in comparison. If you can't feed it a good signal, what's the point?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
When I play Contra HC on a Genesis emulator, the display indicates that it has switched to RGB mode. I play 16-bit titles at 480p. It looks extremely sweet using the emulators' subtle sprite filtering and the display does the rest. Not blown out or dithered in the least. To hell with scanlines, bless them.

It's kind of trippy, because the physical connection to the LCD HD display is--ostensibly--all digital. The display accepts the analog portion of the signal (coming from the emulator) and it accommodates the color mode thanks to RGB support. The VGA box benefits from this as well.

While I kind of understand this... I am pretty confused. Can you go into a bit more detail about this, esp the VGA part?

EDIT: About the XRGB3, is there any where that has photos of older composite going to a HDTV with and without the XRGB3 to show comparison? A quick search revealed nothing to me.

disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about the XRGB3 now. For the cost, it's lacking ports. Time to locate a better solution. The good ones aren't cheap, damn. The perils of HD: all the fucking accoutrements that come with it.
icycalm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, sorry to butt in, I was just in the neighborhood.

Please, don't use your expensive 720 or 1080 LCD screens with the poor Dreamcast. For one thing, the DC only outputs 480i or 480p (with the VGA box), so you will only be getting an upscaled piece-of-shit image. For another, the DC is 4:3 only, so your widescreens will stretch the image, further shittifying it (except if you letterbox it).

If you are going to spend 2,000-plus on an expensive LCD, you might as well spend another 200 for a VGA monitor, or 400 for a 29-inch Multisync Arcade monitor, which is the ultimate screen to hook up to your Dreamcast (that's what they use in arcades with the Naomi).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% the case. First of all, you can upscale a 480p image on a 1080 set without shittifying it, else a whole lot of people with expensive upscaling DVD players would be pissed. Second, some Dreamcast games actually have a proper 16:9 mode, so to say it's 4:3 only is false. For the rest, why is letterboxing a problem? If the game code is 4:3, so's the image on screen. There's a little extra hardware on the side of the image. Big deal. Still a lovely VGA to DVI image on high-def LCD for the Dreamcast. Meanwhile, the display is ready for everything in the years ahead. I would buy a 29-inch Multisync CRT monitor if I had an arcade box. Or if I needed an anchor for a large boat. LCDs are so slim and light (and low power consuming) compared to tubes. $800 will fetch you a nice 26-inch high-def LCD set nowadays. Can't go wrong there.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I have no problem watching my TV in 4:3 mode. I mean, it's still a 50-something inch 4:3 image. I can't complain. I also have two arcade cabinet, yet I prefer playing games on my couch.

hddreamcaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: dreamcast on the samsung Reply with quote

I have this TV made by Samsung (the recent ones used for the XBOX 360 kiosks).
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/campaign/06/r7/samsunghdtv.jsp

I tried playing my Dreamcast on it using normal s-video but the picture quality is still kinda bad. Any help on trying to get a brighter, better resolution?

I don't think it can accept a VGA input?

any advice?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: dreamcast on the samsung Reply with quote

hddreamcaster wrote:
I don't think it can accept a VGA input?

It does have VGA input, and you should get a VGA box asap. You will be very happy you did as it outpuats a wonderful 480p image for almost every game. VGA boxes on ebay are very cheap (but it costs a bit for shipping so the total will be like $30) but there is no substitute. Go for it.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering - is it possible to get a normal computer monitor to output HD? I want to play Dead Rising in HD but I am fucked if I'm going to spend upwards of a grand doing so.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually a VGA cord you can buy for the 360. I really wish that it worked with Xbox1 too.
hddreamcaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: vga question Reply with quote

my tv only has a female input...and the only vga i can find has a female end....would it cause interference with the image if i use a cable in-between thats male-male?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would cause interqueerence!

when i got my new computer i was completely delighted that i could only direct cable connect them using a female/female link.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please advise/help

i really want to have the best picture quality possible for my dreamcast
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: vga question Reply with quote

hddreamcaster wrote:
my tv only has a female input...and the only vga i can find has a female end....would it cause interference with the image if i use a cable in-between thats male-male?

No, that's what you're supposed to do, get a double male VGA cable to connect.

DaleNixon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol double male
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
lol double male

God Hand has double male ends

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! So I'm much closer to getting my TV now. The set I've been looking at is the 40" BRAVIA™ XBR® LCD Flat Panel HDTV KDL-40XBR2. I went into Best Buy and looked at it yesterday and it looks really, really nice.

So, Matt told me to do research on it to make sure there's no lag, and the main reason I'm posting here was to show him this. Apparently the TV does have a "game" mode that should eliminate any lag that might otherwise be present.

Anyways, I can't see any reason not to get this TV other than price, but if someone knows otherwise let me know! Or feel free to suggest an alternative TV to look into. I know it's a bit cheaper, but something bothers me about Rear Projection TVs. They seem to really distort the images when you look at the screen from an angle, and that's always bothered me more than it seems to bother other people. I won't be getting one of those, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd like to hear them!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So, Matt told me to do research on it to make sure there's no lag, and the main reason I'm posting here was to show him this. Apparently the TV does have a "game" mode that should eliminate any lag that might otherwise be present.

There, now don't you feel a little better?

Anyways, I like the effect that that screen doubling has from the front for the DLP tvs. The effect that you're talking about is called screening (iirc) because there are two layers of screen on the front (one for glossy protection, one to grab the image). Anyways, from the front I think it looks very, very close to how a film looks in a theatre and it gives me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling when watching movies. The other doubling effects only get so bad that it bothers me if you’re less than two feet away from it at a very sever angle (basically looking straight down at it while a foot or so away). From the distance that I sit from the TV the effect is just perfect, especially with older black and white films.

Though, I understand the reasoning.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

False alarm. I was going to get an HDTV, but I happened upon a PS3 60GB bundle, so I ended up buying that. Now I'm allz out of money and forgiveness from Christina, so I'm going to have to build both up before I try to make a major purchase again. Nice!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

False alarm again! I have a few days to decide whether or not I'm going to keep my PS3 pre-order. I might end up returning it in favor of the TV and buying the PS3 at a later date (like when good games come out), but we'll see!

Also the guy at GameStop mentioned that I'm not 100% tied down to the games that came with the bundle and they're working out arrangements to let people trade stuff in at local stores. So either way I'm not 100% screwed!

This is getting complicated yet awesome.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so not only did you possibly trade out getting an excellent TV which will improve the quality of almost everything you have now... but you traded it out for a package deal?

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the TV, you'll thank yourself later.

Getting a PS3 in place of the TV is like buying a nice couch before a buying a house to move in to.

Besides, a new sexy screen will be something the woman in your life will certainly appreciate right out of the box.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the TV, you fool!
david

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been toying with a TV purchase for a few months, and bothering certain people in this forum about it, mainly Shaper. I'm not that into movies and I never watch TV... all I really need is a nice monitor for my console games. The fanciest thing I've got is a Wii (and component cables, but nothing to use 'em with yet!). And I'm a little bit cheap, so if there's a solution in the neighborhood of $1000, I'd probably go for that.

When I got my 23" Apple Cinema Display, I was ignorant enough to think I'd be able to run a console signal into it, but all it's got is a DVI input, and that requires a transcoder and cables... it gets messy, I don't know how well it would work, and at $300+, I have to wonder if it's a little too much for a compromise solution.

So, I'm toying with either trading in one of my monitors for something like a widescreen Dell monitor with component inputs to share between my PC and Wii, or just go all-out and buy a TV, maybe that 30" Samsung.

So, like, am I nuts to think about buying a monitor, will it look any good, and how can I get the best image from Wii's 480p? Should I not be so cheap, and maybe get a nice 40" TV so it's really appreciably larger than my monitors? Eventually I'm going to have a real living room and I'll want to put something in it.

Thanks dudes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, the problem Matt keeps reminding me of is if you cheap out on your TV you run the risk of getting one that some games simply can't really be played effectively on. A lot of HDTVs have lots of fancy (or not fancy) processing going on to make the picture look better than it should, and if your TV doesn't have a fast enough processor you'll end up playing fighting games and music games a few frames ahead of their actual timing.

As for my personal TV/PS3 thing, I returned my PS3 preorder and made a deal with my girl that I wouldn't get one until the Fall if we got this TV. I'm sorta sad, sorta relieved, but the way I see it at least I'll have an amazing looking TV to hold me over until when good games actually start coming out on the system. And hey, I might even be able to buy the games I want at budget prices!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
So, like, am I nuts to think about buying a monitor, will it look any good, and how can I get the best image from Wii's 480p? Should I not be so cheap, and maybe get a nice 40" TV so it's really appreciably larger than my monitors? Eventually I'm going to have a real living room and I'll want to put something in it.

Ok, two recommendations:

1) Don't go cheap. I say this esp. because it sounds like you want something for the long run. The more you spend (within reason, basically just don't go with cheap for cheapness sake) the better off you will be for a longer peroid of time. Another thing to think about is that many HDTV sets now have VGA/DVI input, so you could use most TV's as a monitor for your computer if you want to try to convince yourself of that. Most imporantly, the less you spend the more likely the TV is to not have a setting which will allow you to play games w/o lag. Lag is very bad for many 2D/arcade games and all rythm games. I know that all current model Samsungs have excellent game modes which will eliminate lag all the way down to component video input (others do as well, but I haven't tested them extensively).

2) If you want something for a good price that will take the most advantage of your Wii I recommend THIS TV (Actually, that discription is weird. The image is for a 4:3 tv, the discription says it's 16:9 aspect ratio then in the dimensions it again says it's 4:3... but yea, go to the store and you'll see it). It is an HDTV, but it's also a CRT Tube TV. You will have a few geometry issues around the edges (like other tubes where it bulges a little) and you won't have as pixel perfect accuracy, but it also is an excellent compensation for going all out because it will deliver a more accurate SD image when given the oppertunity. Toups has this TV so you could probably bug him more about specifics. The down sides are that it's very heavy, not too-o large, it doesn't have VGA/DVI, and it has some geometry/overscan issues, but nothing deal breaking. It's also at a good price that in 3-5 years you could upgrade to something much larger and put that in your bedroom and still get a lot of use out of it while not feeling like you spent too much to replace it so soon.

caveat: Toups says he hasn't tested the Wii with component cables yet and has heard scattered reports of Wii's looking worse with certain TVs. He asks you to wait until the 13th for his seal of approval.

Anyways, there's my $o.o2 on this. That was much easier than typing on the Wii.

WESS: Good choice.

david

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man, thanks a lot for that. Yeah, actually I was looking at that very TV at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. I was impressed what you can get in a CRT these days for comparitively little. Thing is, the more time I spend at Best Buy, the more I start to think, "but what's a few hundred more, really?" and pretty soon I'm standing in front of the 32" Samsung LCD with my chin resting in my fist.

Is it me, or is Best Buy just a horrible place to assess a TV? It's so hard to compare the pictures in that light, and you never know for sure what kind of signal each one is playing, etc. They have those videos running that supposedly compare SD and HD with phony blur effects. The other thing is, when you're walking through the isles, you're looking at all the TVs from just a few feet away, and often peering closer. Even the fanciest HD picture looks pixelly and blurry when you get close enough. After a while a malaise settles in and distinctions become impossible...
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that HD CRT looks nice. I'm not sold on LCD TVs just yet. Too much guesswork (check for this! and this! and this! and if the TV doesn't come with a fucking computer in it, it may not actually do anything it advertises to do!). Man, remember the halcyon days of choosing a tube size, and participating in a brief in-store demo when buying a TV? Sigh...

My friend has a 30-some-inch CRT HDTV, and it is very nice. He's very happy with it.

EDIT:

If a CRT HDTV is basically a 1080i TV (with no 720p option), how large is the difference in quality between:

a) a standard 720p Xbox 360 game scaled up to 1080i
b) a native 1080i image
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Is it me, or is Best Buy just a horrible place to assess a TV? It's so hard to compare the pictures in that light, and you never know for sure what kind of signal each one is playing, etc.

No, you're right. Many people don't realise that not only will they never watch TV under that bright of a light, but it's also flourescent lighting which augments colors. Also, under light that bright it is exceptionally difficult to get a feel for the black levels of the TV (which you don't have to worry about with CRT). The other stuff with the SD/HD demos... well just ignore most of that. I can make SD look terrible on my TV too, but I can also make it look fairly acceptable.

The key here is to see if they have a remote, or will let you use the remote for the TV and mess with all the different picture settings. This will give you a better idea of how robust the TV is.
Lestrade wrote:
If a CRT HDTV is basically a 1080i TV (with no 720p option), how large is the difference in quality between:

a) a standard 720p Xbox 360 game scaled up to 1080i
b) a native 1080i image

Well, your situation wouldn't really matter because you can set the 360 to 1080i. Either way, it really won't make much if any difference. Another example I can give is that Gears of War looked exactly the same in 720p and 1080p. The only difference was that the 1080p was working the 360 a little harder so there was more frame skipping.

Also, know that 1080i is actually downscaled from 720p as there are only 540 lines of information at any time which are rapidly shifted back and forth to create the illusion of 1080 lines. There is a gigantic difference between 1080i and 1080p. The difference between 720p and 1080i is less, but if you have a TV that can display 720p natively you will notice quite an improvement in image quality just due to the steady image field and the lack of comb filters needed or de-interlacers.

Here's the easy way to think of 1080p: you know how you can add 50% scan lines on emulated games? Imagine that the image bounce between the scan lines and the displayed part and alternated at about 60 times a second (so each half of the image is shown 30 times each). That's interlaced. You're really only getting half of the resolution that's advertised on an interlaced image.

NOW! If you have a fixed pixel display (LCD, Plasma, DLP, LSOC... all the current "HD" stuff) the TV has to do a lot of things to not make the image look weird and it will often times have a screen-door and fake-scanline look to it after the image is processed. The advantage of a CRT is that it's not fixed pixel, so you don't have to worry about the interlaced image coming out looking like crap (go HERE for excellent pictoral examples of what happens durring de-interlacing). (the other major benifit is the color range and black levels of a CRT).

Sorry if this has actually made you more confused.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Shaper, that's perfect, thank you. It tells me some of what I knew, some things I needed confirmed, and some important reminders.

I keep looking at this inexpensive Toshiba 26" 1080i CRT, and I want it. I want it because (a) it's cheap, and (b) I'm not a very detailed-oriented A/V enthusiast, so I think I would be perfectly happy with it. (i.e. I don't shed a tear when a game on my computer can't play at its maximum resolution). I just want a decent-quality, widescreen HDTV.

I wonder how much my end-of-year bonus will be this year? :-)
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a very interesting post about the capabilities of the Xbox 360 through Component cables vs. VGA cables. Most of it is focused on the HD DVD drive, but I would assume that a lot of it applies to the system itself as well. It looks like the VGA Cables improve things to a very high degree over the Component Cables. Interesting... Reading this stuff, I'm really, really hoping they find a way to do HDMI output on the 360 now. Not sure if it would actually take advantage of HDMI, given that the system wasn't built to output through them, but if they can do it well they should!

What's this thing?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
What's this thing?

That's basically a Japanese format for Component cables.

Also, that's good info on the 360HDDVD player. The game/console info was all known to me already though.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV get!

I'll post pictures soon, but for now I'll just say it's a really, really nice upgrade. And I'm now kinda sad that the Wii doesn't do HD. The difference between Zelda in 480p (I have component cables) and, uhhh, Cars (or anything else) for the Xbox 360 is like night and day. It's pretty.

Also, since my DVD player didn't do any sort of upscaling I decided to get an upscaling DVD player. I decided to go with with the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive! Holy crap, King Kong looks incredible...

Pictures soon.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit yes!

I would love an HDTV now, but my mom needs dental surgery to the tune of about the price of a decent HDTV! Talk about fate stepping in!

Also, I would love if someone could provide a list of common HDTV brands and their quality: actual, not perceived. I saw a Prima TV that actually looked better than most other sets in the store, which surprised me.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Also, I would love if someone could provide a list of common HDTV brands and their quality: actual, not perceived. I saw a Prima TV that actually looked better than most other sets in the store, which surprised me.

Ok I don't know what you have in Canada but it's probably similar, and I can only go with what I know first hand really.

Samsung makes really excellent DLP TVs as well as LCDs (based on DaleNixon’s). They also have excellent customer service. I recommend that you get a Samsung that was released after 03/2006 though because they fixed a lot of lag problems at that time.

Westinghouse is total shit. At best I have heard reports of people finding them “acceptable” but far from good. Both myself and DaleNixon have had bad experiences with this brand (For games only, its find for just watching tv/movies).

Sony, from every review I have read and my father also did a lot of research on these too, is almost always in the top three for quality in all the TV’s respective ranges. Sony is a “safe” one to go with. It’s also frequently the most expensive.

If you want to go with any TV I can’t stress enough that you look up that TV for lag on the AVS Forums. The site is a little hard to use and the forums are a mess, but it’s probably the most knowledgeable place for this kind of information all in one place. If you can’t find the info make a n00b post asking for it and you’ll probably have an answer within 24 hours.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shaper! I notice that Samsung frequently has the nicest enclosures for their sets.

EDIT: What's your personal opinion of this model? (Not that I'm buying anything anytime soon...)

Last edited by Lestrade on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I notice that Samsung frequently has the nicest enclosures for their sets.

I love the glossy black bezels!

david

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a nice HDTV like that one, should a 480i or 480p signal like that of Wii look as good as it does on an SD/EDTV? Or do low-res signals look worse on high-res TVs?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
On a nice HDTV like that one, should a 480i or 480p signal like that of Wii look as good as it does on an SD/EDTV? Or do low-res signals look worse on high-res TVs?

Well, technically there is a large difference between 480i and 480p. The higher the resolution the sharper/cleaner the image will look. The fuzzy/soft/clean/low-res from SDTVs cannot be reproduced on a fixed pixel HDTV. That said, you can’t get a clean/sharp/high-res image on a CRT TV like you can on a fixed pixel display (plasma/lcd/DLP/LCoS). The trade off is that the soft and fuzzy interlaced images that use to look acceptable on an SDTV end up looking like someone smeared Vaseline all over the image (and that’s if the de-interlacing is done right).

I know you know what happens if you capture an image off of standard TV on a computer: it looks like a youtube video. Now take that image and blow it up to the size of your PC monitor what happens? This is pretty much what is going on with your TV.

Based on your comments Dave, I don’t think you’ll be happy with anything less than an HDCRT… which is more of a trade-off than anything. It will give you a medium between the sharpness of a fixed pixel display and the fuzzy soft-ness of a CRT. It will also handle interlaced images a whole lot better.

Think of it this way: HDTVs basically equal PC monitors. Things are going to look more like “PC Games” if they are output from the console properly. The only other option that you would be able to go with would probably be getting a really, really nice de-interlacer which will run you about $250 at the least. If you can I highly recommend going over to peoples houses with HDTVs and running them through a gamut of test, or bringing a game console with you to Best Buy and telling them you want to test it there.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a picture of my new TV uploaded. Check it out!

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wes, how are you diggin' that HD-DVD player?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got rid of the HD-DVD player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: