The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSP gets hacked...no surprise there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: PSP gets hacked...no surprise there. Reply with quote

Fairly interesting things they did with the PSP. Heck, the hack(s) make it seem better than I thought it was.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20050412wo63.htm
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that the next PSP system update will immediately destroy everything these enthusiasts have created. Then Sony will announce a special UMD program that comes with IRC chat, web surfing, and various other interweb features!

Then, a week later, a smarter hacker will figure out that using Metal Gear Acid and some programming will create a web browser 100x better and more efficient than anything Sony brings out. Sony will then sue and gamers around the world will read about it online and moan.

JUST WATCH FOR IT!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is cross posted, but I really don't care, it is important:

Quote:
It would seem that someone at Metrowerks got careless.

On the public FTP for MetroWerks' site, there is a link which someone absently left the admin's username and password embedded in the link.

Using that link brings up nothing, however, visiting other metrowerks' ftp sites allows login and download (and probablly other permissions too) of all the files on the site, including, yes, CodeWarrior 1.1 for the PSP.

Some (if not all) of those files probablly are not meant for public view.

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/6976/c19ns.jpg
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/5483/c24io.jpg
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/6858/c36ln.jpg
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/9648/c45cc.jpg
http://img157.echo.cx/img157/9404/c46bc.jpg

You can only wonder why the host site is not (currently) up: http://www.psphacks.net/

Emulators are so close I can taste them.

ALSO: That article karii linked to hints at a MANGA reader for the PSP?! Does anyone know of the links for that?
Giampi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Up has a feature on it. I believe you can download a program there that allows you to convert the image files in scanlated manga into a format that's kosher with the PSP.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the manga thing isn't really a hack so much as a built-in feature of the system. Regardless, I reccomend http://www.animewaves.net . I like Pastel a lot.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see, so I have to rotate the images and then compres them and just use the current software. Neat. I now have a reason to get a larger memory card. It will probably be a mess to figure out how to make it easy to change pages though.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy! All you have to do is press the L or R buttons. The image files should be named such that they organize automatically. You really don't even have to compress the images but it wastes space if you don't.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroworks got careless? Those are some damning screenshots, right there.

Any emulator built with this sort of info will get sued to hell and back. Legitimate developers know better than to touch this stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Any emulator built with this sort of info will get sued to hell and back. Legitimate developers know better than to touch this stuff.

It is just a tool to gather info from. Yea, anyone smart will never release anything built from that, but you have to reverse engineer from something. That is a gigantic tool to get for reverse engineering though. It almost makes me wonder IF they got careless, and if they did, who would have known to check... Seems like someone let something slip.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to ask this, how's the whole "play movies OMGF!" thing working out for the PSP?

Is anoyne buying them, how do they look, do you get tired after a while? I figured someone out there got the bundle with Spider-Man 2 and maybe watched it. So... What?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Is anoyne buying them, how do they look, do you get tired after a while? I figured someone out there got the bundle with Spider-Man 2 and maybe watched it. So... What?

I have not watched the S-2 movie, but did watch some trailers and music videos on the demo disc. The resolution is really nice, I mean, it looks like a movie should, there are no compensations. I also really have no desire to watch a full length movie on it. Perhaps on a large car trip, but not normally. I mean, I will probably put some superplay videos on it and what not to show around to friends (Beatmania and STG superplays will kick ass). Not full movies though, it is a gimick and the movies are too expensive. Most movies will fit onto a 1Gig memory stick if you rip them and compress them from a DVD (You could probably fit up to 3 movies) which would be the way I would go if I wanted something to watch on a car trip.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderman 2 is the thing I use to show off my PSP. It's very impressive to people who don't like video games and looks every bit as good as a DVD (on the small screen). There are problems with it though. First of all, it's very bare bones. There are no special features aside from subtitles, and although you can cycle through chapters of the movie with the L and R buttons, there's no chapter selection menu. I'm not sure if this is exclusive to Spiderman 2, but if it's the example to go by, UMDs are not simply a portable alternative to DVDs. They sure look pretty though, and if I end up beating Metal Gear Ac!d I may end up watching Spiderman 2 on the way to a wedding I'm going to in a few weeks.

I haven't bought any other movies, but I can see myself doing so in the future if I'm about to go on another plane trip. Ripping DVDs to my hard drive, converting them to PSP format, and moving them, one at a time, to a $150-$200 memory stick is just too time (and money) consuming for my tastes. I'd rather fill my Memory stick with manga and game saves and then spend my money on UMD movies as I need them.

I'll probably buy Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children for PSP.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I haven't bought any other movies, but I can see myself doing so in the future if I'm about to go on another plane trip. Ripping DVDs to my hard drive, converting them to PSP format, and moving them, one at a time, to a $150-$200 memory stick is just too time (and money) consuming for my tastes. I'd rather fill my Memory stick with manga and game saves and then spend my money on UMD movies as I need them.

I'll probably buy Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children for PSP.

Well first, you can get those one gig cards for $100-$110 no problem if you get non sony brand. Anyways aside from that I could see buying those UMD CD/Music video things that seem to be somewhat popular in Japan. You could easily just just you audio out and then line in to convert to MP3 if you wanted and also short video clips seem to be the way to go with watching things on the PSP.

My comment about the movies getting ripped to the 1gig sticks was mainly for planning purposes. Like if you're going on a car trip and want 2 movies to pick from. Or you want to put a those 3 fansub animes that you have not got a chance to watch yet on there. Then when you get back home you just delete them from your memory card and when you want to go on another trip you just put a few more on there.

Also, UMD only movies... are an interesting thing. I may buy them, but it depends. I would definatly not buy a UMD movie that I can get on DVD.

Speaking of save states on memory cards... I may put up a few of my own Ridge Racer replay saves up soon.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Anyways aside from that I could see buying those UMD CD/Music video things that seem to be somewhat popular in Japan. You could easily just just you audio out and then line in to convert to MP3 if you wanted and also short video clips seem to be the way to go with watching things on the PSP.

Ok, those Music Video things sound kind of dumb, but I'm intrigued. I'm more intrigued by this though, which I found by following the above link.

Apparently Activision added a bunch of Korean pop stars to Tony Hawk 2 for its Korean PC release. I love me some Tony Hawk 2 and Elisa Steamer (the girl skater) never quite did it for me so I might pick this up to laugh at the hillariocity that comes from injecting elements that have nothing to do with a game into the game's world.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Ok, those Music Video things sound kind of dumb, but I'm intrigued. I'm more intrigued by this though, which I found by following the above link.

It is like Mario in basketball. HA. That is great and cheap enough to check out for that price.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firmware updates wouldn't be able to affect any of these hacks usually they just language support and whatnot.

And I raised the question of UMD movies at Gaming Age, the responses were what I expected.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that we're hardcore gamers talking to hardcore gamers about whether we'll watch movies on our PSPs. Eventually PSPs will sell to the point that it isn't just hardcore gamers with PSPs and other people for whom a good game is the same as a good movie will start to buy both UMD movies and games with little discretion between the two. It just doesn't make sense that people would be willing to pay money for portable gaming but not willing to pay money for portable movies? Is gaming really something that benefits from being portable more than movies do? That's just silly.

Case and point: I didn't buy any GBA Video carts and nobody I know has any GBA video carts, but from what I understand they sold pretty well. I could see the same thing happening with UMD movies.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, those GA responses are what I woudl expect, seems about right. I think that there are 2 camps on the PSP: the gamers, and the schik techno geeks. The later are buying the UMD movies the former buy the games. Sure there may be a little cross over, but mostly not.

My stance is still the same on UMD only movies (Advent Children). That is the only way sony will get me to buy those at more than $10.
Karii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a definite that Advent Children will be UMD only, or am I reading that wrong? If it is, they are cutting out giant portions of their auidence, who will in turn, find a way to rip it so that people without PSPs can watch it on their pcs (or whatever)

Just taking a wild guess if it IS UMD only, it will be temporary, after which, they will come out with a 'super uber foo foo' dvd version with extras. Like I said, that's just pure conjecture on my part.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fucking interesting:

http://gomanga.com/news/press_008.php

PSP: The advertising machine.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenious: http://www.pspmagazines.com/
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does indeed rock.

Now I can wank to Maxim on my video game system.

-Wes

EDIT: And on that note, is this worth doing to TGQ? I was thinking about it and even messed around with it a bit but I didn't like the results. Maybe I'll run a few more experiments with it...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
EDIT: And on that note, is this worth doing to TGQ? I was thinking about it and even messed around with it a bit but I didn't like the results. Maybe I'll run a few more experiments with it...

Well we could follow suit and make it like Wired or the other ones that just have a few articles for download. Yea, I think we can mess with this, see how big it turns out in size and what not.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, PSP enhanced edition. That sounds nice.

It's like the half-way point between a printed version and the home digital version!
(Well, half-way in that it's a bit more portable.)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... if you have an non-upgraded JP PSP here is the first big jump:

Quote:
Development is real fast on the PSP and already we have the first emulator for it. The GB emulator for PSP was released by Mr. MIRAKICHI on one of the most famous forums in Japan a little while ago.

Download

You will have to rename the GAME ROM to ROM.GB and put it to the same folder as EBOOT.PBP. Also this will only work with firmware version 1.00
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.livedoor.jp/shigekiy1/archives/18078821.html

Nice
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean that as soon as they figure out how to crack version 1.5 they'll be all ready with software for it?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So does this mean that as soon as they figure out how to crack version 1.5 they'll be all ready with software for it?

-Wes

One can only hope. Emulation was the #1 reason that I got a PSP.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Emulation was the #1 reason that I got a PSP.

That's because you don't have Metal Gear Ac!d...

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm going on a trip, and I'm loving this thing and downloading a bunch of these magazines for in-flight reading and stuff. You guys REALLY need to put something together for the PSP format. I'd much rather read your stuff than IGN's, but...well. Do it.

I'm curious, how do I put an MP4 on my card so the PSP will recognize and play it? I'm going to google it right now, but I was just curious if anyone knew a quick fix or link offhand.
Pootivic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well theres always free softcore porn for the psp

http://www.sugarbank.com/sam_shttp://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7s-70-3by.htmlugars_blog/2005/06/psp_porn_introd.html

even though it is like, only .5 times more revealing than maxim.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing Earthbound Zero (Mother 1) right now, on my PSP. It is grand. I am not really worried about messing the thing up because I have an extended warentee on my PSP from Best Buy. Great stuff.

... heading off for softcore...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like the PSP is... rocking.

You can now play SMS/Game Gear/SG-1000, TG16/PCE, NES*, GB/C*, SNES, Genesis/MD, MSX, NeoGeo, and GBA with an emulator. Not all are working at 100% speed, but it looks like a lot of US developers just jumped on now that they can use these programs on their PSPs with 1.50 PSPs.

Released today was a method to run homebrew and emu on 1.50 PSPs with out needing to swap memory cards. It is called kxploit 1.5.

Sony is really going to have to offer something feirce in an upgrade for their firmware to make me sacrafice emulation. It is also said that N64 emulation is a technical possibility based on the power of the PSP. I am sure we will also get random strange emulators and some good homebrew too (the vertical arkanoid homebrew... sucks).

You can also now play PONG on your PSP.

So... yea.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No memory card swap you say? I'm on this as soon as tonight.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
No memory card swap you say? I'm on this as soon as tonight.

-Wes

I did say!

Also, everywhere is selling out of 1GB cards. Best Buy is claiming they got discontinued and almost every online store is sold out of them. If you want to get one before the price is ridiculous you might want to track them down now. Or hold out for Sony/ScanDisk/Whoever to make more.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guy on a PSP forum wrote:

So, how does KXploit works? Deceptively simply. Apparently, for the PSP, the % character is invisible, so for example the folder "SNES%" is exactly the same as "SNES". So, when you run the app contained in SNES% (the one that won't show up as corupted data), the PSP will give the go ahead (since there is no executable code in that folder). Then it will look again for code to run, and it will come across the one in the SNES.

Wow Sony.... you made this almost too easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: