The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Wright ball-licking (split)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Will Wright ball-licking (split) Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
I don't know why I never linked this earlier:

http://www.buzzcut.com/article.php?story=20050609180139369

Am I the only one sick of all this Will Wright ball-licking?
nICO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
shapermc wrote:

Spore looks awesome. lick lick

The Sims bored me, though.

Sim City Classic is awesome. lick lick

Spore looks amazing. lick lick
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick! Write an article with this as the premise! Go!

I will write a counterpoint entitled, "Will Wright Gets Me Laid, That's Why."

You know whose balls I'd like to see licked once and a while? Jeff Tunnell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would except I haven't really played any of his games. I played Simearth and Simcity and they both bored me to tears.

I like legos better.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. No one liked SimEarth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't play Sim games because the Sim genre just doesn't interest me, however Spore looks quite interesting and I'm looking forward to playing with it. Because, you know, you don't play the Sim games, you play around with them and therein lies the appeal. Sim games don't look fun to play around with but Spore does. Go figure. I guess it's the difference in scales or something, on the level that each game is going for. Sim games seem to be more focused on the smaller scale things, like individual people and their reactions rather than their non-immediate surroundings and environments, while Spore seems to be on both scales at once. Large and small.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure liked Sim Tower.

I mean hot damn.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simcity in my memory came out during the hayday of computer games. This was also the NES days. Simcity, Lemmings, Prince of Persia, Maniac Mansion. This was when people actually took chances when making PC games and released games that weren't just "me too" versions of other PC games. As soon as they started making nothing but RTS Games, FPS Games, and RPG games, and started requiring everyone to upgrade their computers every two years to play the current games, computer gaming really took a nosedive.

Will Wright was a big part of this era. As was Jordan Mechner, Psychnosis, Tim Schaffer, Roberta Williams and most of the other game designer that actually took gaming in new directions. That's why everyone licks Will Wright's balls. Whereas the rest of these names don't really mean much anymore, Will Wright's does. The reason why? He never stopped taking gaming in new directions.

-Wes

EDIT: And I really want Sim Tower on the GBA to come out in the US.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Sim Earth.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

seconded. sim tower was actually designed by yoot saito, by the way.

sim life is like sim earth without the cryptic macromanagement. i think underdogs may host a copy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else prefer to play Sim City Classic (for Win 95) over the later versions? I genuinely do, but I never got into 3 much at all and haven't tried 4 yet so it might just be I haven't devoted enough time. I'm positive I like it better than 2000, though, which I played a lot back in the day.

The reason I ask is this. Would it be worth playing Sim City 4 in any depth, or am I better off sticking to the tried and true? Without going into any detail, I prefer the simplicity of the original to the more complex, heavy micromanaging later versions.
Walter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
shapermc wrote:

You are only allowed to be sick of "all this Will Wright ball-licking" if you are simultaneously sick of "all this Hideo Kojima ball-licking". The rationale has to be that there is just too much ball-licking going on in general. Poo-pooing Will Wright's achievements is not allowed, however.

Jesper Juul's "Looking for a Heart of Gameness" gives a pretty decent answer to the question, "What is a game?", provided that you look at his feature set as determining strength of graded membership. It's probably impossible to come up with a necessary and sufficient set of conditions to define the 'object', however, as it is with most things in life.*

* But maybe it's not impossible.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Tower, of course, how may of those Sim games did Wright actually have a hand in? I was under the impression not very many. Also, Sim Earth was leagues above Sim Farm.

My favorite glib one line answer to the question at hand is "Another literacy to be acquired."
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
Does anyone else prefer to play Sim City Classic (for Win 95) over the later versions?

yes. i found 2000 to be over-complicated and stuck with classic.

and yes, hideo kojima is greatly overrated, and far too obsessed with movies than is good for his games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spore seems to be the same concept as Katamari Damacy but applied through a Western gameplay model. Which is okay I guess. It still doesn't grab me. I think it will ultimately be as vapid as Katamari Damacy and for more ore less the same reasons. This is not to say that vapid is bad; I love Katamari Damacy despite being vapid. But I don't think I'll love Spore because the constituent gameplay is basically the same thing as the other Sim games; the difference is that the actual content is procedurally generated. It's a formal excercise, and I guess it will be interesting as such, but I have a feeling that it will get old pretty quickly.

Last edited by Mister Toups on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember enjoying Sim Ant. I also liked making disasters happen on Sim City. I never got into the games though. Spore looks interesting. The Sims was... horrible to say the least.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
But I don't think I'll love Spore because the constituent gameplay is basically the same thing as the other Sim games

See, I don't know about this. If you've read stuff about it, or watched Will Wright's GDC demo you would see that the gameplay evolves as the gameplay sphere works its way outward. Here's the breakdown stolen from Jeremy Parish's 1up coverage:

# Tidepool phase: In the game's initial state, the action most resembles a sort of free-form Pac-Man. There's also a strong hint of Super NES classic E.V.O. and quirky GameCube cult favorite Cubivore; fighting and consuming other creatures allows you to adjust the form and abilities of your creature.
# Evolution phase: Once your creature begins to grow and take on a distinct physical form, the game switches to a more Diablo-like feel. With its emphasis on battling other creatures to strengthen yourself while making forays away from your safe haven, this section is very much about growth and development.
# Tribal phase: When your creation has achieved a satisfying level of physical development, you can focus on its mental acuity. At this point, you relinquish control of an individual and instead move to a streamlined RTS interface, caring for an entire tribe of your homebrewed beasties, giving them tools, food and slowly upgrading their state of existence. Think Populous.
# City phase: Here the game becomes more like Wright's own SimCity, with emphasis resting primarily on building up the technology, architecture and infrastructure of your race's dwellings.
# Civ phase: Once your city is established, you can zoom out to the global scale. Here your people begin seeking out other cultures in a Civilization-style experience. Interfacing with the rest of the world can be tackled in many ways, be it militaristically or diplomatically; on foot, in boats or by airship. Ultimately, however, the goal is for your creatures to conquer the planet.
# Invasion phase: Once the world is your oyster, you can move on to other worlds in your solar system to colonize or terraform. And beyond that you'll find other solar systems, scattered throughout a beautifully-rendered galaxy in which planets lurk among dust clouds and black holes spew ejecta. Here you set forth to make contact with other planets.

And it's not even to say that the gameplay looks like it will be a direct ripoff of any of these games. From what I've seen, the "Diablo" section looks a lot more tactile than its descriptor. In the GDC demo it looked like clicking and dragging the mouse on a dead carcass would allow you to drag it around, and shaking the mouse would let you shake your prey around and gulp it down. If you think about it, each of these games try to replicate their particular section of the "powers of ten" equasion, it's just that Spore tries to place them in a context. And that's what's never really been done before.

Also, the "proceduraly created" content is just a way of getting complex results from simple editing tools. Spore will allow you to create your creature or your cities however you want, it's just that the complexities of the way that they look and move will be automatically calculated using procedural methods based on what you've done. After you're done creating your stuff, your homemade content will be sent out to the Spore servers and automatically populate the worlds of other people's games. Because most of the way things look and move is done mathematically, the download size for this content will be tiny and an entire universe can be created with a bunch of little downloads that happen in the background while you play.

To me this is awesome, not vapid, and certainly not like every other sim game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the exciting thing about spore is the cohesion. all the different levels of the game are structured and manipulated in similiar ways.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. yeah, that kinda gives me a boner.

there were so many bad Sim[stuff] games. fucking maxis.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spore looks really fun to play, but I do think it's most important aspect is its implementation of procedurally generated content. (I assume) It offers a way for bright but small teams to compete with huge studios without much compromise. I'm sure a lot of designers will be awakened by Spore and apply procedurally generative methods to other, far different games.

I mean, it's not the best thing ever or anything. It's just a nice alternative option.
Walter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's Western, and not Japanese. So it automatically sucks by default.

(Because the Japanese never make/do anything bad ever, are a singular coherent entity completely free of Western influences, and constitute the entirety of the non-West.)
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't enough French in the games industry today!

COME BACK ERIC CHAHI

COME BACK FREDERICK RAYNAL

WE MISS YOU
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter wrote:
(Because the Japanese never make/do anything bad ever, are a singular coherent entity completely free of Western influences, and constitute the entirety of the non-West.)

THANK YOU.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Wright, well. I demand Spore frothingly, despite that I usually find that his games don't really grab me.

Sim City 2000 was the exception; it always felt special. it had...something. The newspapers, maybe. The llamas. The cheat codes. The way that, if you put the crosshairs directly over a plane and clicked, it would crash. I fucking loved that game when I was eight or nine. I've absorbed it into my bloodstream by now.

The original Sim City just feels like the Super Mario Bros. to 2000's SMB3. 3000 feels more like an entirely unnecessary sequel. Sim City 4 feels half-finished and is actually almost unplayable in a literal sense, it's as though it was developed in six months. Knowing EA, it probably was.

Pretty much everything else Wright has done bores the hell out of me. The Sims included. I know it's an important game that does interesting things, and is also a hilariously accurate simulation of everything that is wrong with middle-class America, but I'd rather water plants for real, rather than pretend to do it, is all. I did enjoy the game's bizarre atmosphere for about a week, though!

The Sims 2 strikes me as a regression. The game is pretty obviously gutted of anything interesting, because interesting things need to go into the inevitable expansion packs. Again, that's probably not Wright's fault, either.

I guess I'm sayng that Will Wright is okay, and brilliant, even, so long as we're talking SC2000, and fucking EA had better not fuck up Spore or I'll fucking fuck those fucking fuckers up.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
The Sims 2 strikes me as a regression.

You are braver then me. I spent about 5 hours with 1 and never had any interest of going further, let alone a whole sequel. How was The Urbz?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fond memories of the original sim city in all its ega, 5 1/4 glory.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
It's a formal excercise

That's sort of Will Wright in a nutshell, to me. Have you ever heard the man talk? He speaks in algorithm
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the man dress?

Perhaps you were expecting amebic pentameter?
nICO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
It's a formal excercise

That's sort of Will Wright in a nutshell, to me. Have you ever heard the man talk? He speaks in algorithm

I just watched the GDC Spore talk, but I was actually impressed by just how good a speaker he is. He was confident, casual, engaged the audience (to a certain extent), and seemed like he knew what he was doing. It was a refreshing change of pace from the dry, fake business types, and I'm sure most other game developers wouldn't do nearly as well in an hour long presentation that would be seen by thousands of people.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will hug will wright. this i've decided. if i should ever meet him, i will hug him. for a long time i've considered him the most huggable of all high-profile game designers.

(shiggy's in the running, but there's a distance between him and i, these days.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's break this down. You've got constituent gameplay resembling the following:
Pac-Man (minus walls/ghosts, which, you know, are more or less what makes Pac Man what it is, at the end of the day)
Diablo
Populous
SimCity
Civilization

These are all games that I either hate or am bored by. I am inclined to argue that Populous, SimCity, and Civilization all more or less have the same constituent gameplay anyway, and what distinguishes them is the overall structure and system. You could arguably throw Diablo in there, too.

And yeah. I understand that this gets some people's blood pumping. Just... not mine.

I am reminded of the Penny Arcade where he's like "Did you see the Doom 3 engine? It looks AMAZING!" and the other guy replies "Yeah. I can't wait till someone makes a game with it."
IIOIOOIOO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STFU TOUPS
ajutla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I am inclined to argue that Populous, SimCity, and Civilization all more or less have the same constituent gameplay anyway, and what distinguishes them is the overall structure and system. You could arguably throw Diablo in there, too.

And Pac-Man.

This is why Spore seems neat, though; it's the way it plays with structure. The game would have no obvious, discrete separations between these stages; instead, it would grow organically as the player progressed, and the "systems" of the phases would be fluid, changing and adapting over time.

I mean, yes, it is likely the game will turn out to be a confused piece of shit, but the concept is nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that the stages are actually fairly discrete: you have to bring development in one stage to a certain, Spore-defined threshhold, at which point you're allowed to 'advance' to the next stage.

While I'm not super duper interested in Spore (though I think it's brilliant), one of the more interesting things for me is the (apparent) ability to go back and forth between stages. I wonder if you can take control of pre-existing creatures in mid-development, or alter the physiological structure of your already-developed species. If the latter, what would relations between the original and mutated species be like?

It's hardly Katamari Damacy applied to a "Western" model (as if any of the similarities they share were markedly "Japanese" to begin with). And anyway, Wright has had this game in mind for far longer than KD ever existed in the head of Takahashi.
ajutla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter wrote:
I get the impression that the stages are actually fairly discrete: you have to bring development in one stage to a certain, Spore-defined threshhold, at which point you're allowed to 'advance' to the next stage.

Well, I mean, uh, Katamari Damacy (TO PICK A BAD EXAMPLE) works the same way, but it feels seamless despite that.

Will Wright wrote:
"It's actually a lot like WarioWare. It features a wide variety of game types as a sort of homage to my favorite games."

That does not bode well, admittedly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that discussion on "big" vs. "small?" Yeah. Someone like Will Wright should know better. Spore sounds like it's being developed by an overexcited twelve year old.

I mean, honestly--I had very similar ideas when I was twelve. And I'm no fucking genius designer.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter wrote:
It's hardly Katamari Damacy applied to a "Western" model (as if any of the similarities they share were markedly "Japanese" to begin with). And anyway, Wright has had this game in mind for far longer than KD ever existed in the head of Takahashi.

I'm not saying it's a ripoff.

Just that. Well. Katamari Damacy is about growth and scale, expressed using a very Japanese system of interaction. And Spore looks to be about growth and scale, expressed using and extremely western system of interaction.

So yeah. I stand by my poorly-thought-out accusation.
Pootivic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argure that Tim schafer's name still means something. He las the last creative pc developer with Grim Fandango. Psychonauts was a blast to play also. Not revolutionary but it had such a polished feel in terms of art direction. mechanics and story.
Walter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I'm not saying it's a ripoff.

Just that. Well. Katamari Damacy is about growth and scale, expressed using a very Japanese system of interaction. And Spore looks to be about growth and scale, expressed using and extremely western system of interaction.

So yeah. I stand by my poorly-thought-out accusation.

Well. Well! That makes a little more sense than "Western KD". I mean. Aside from the overarching themes of growth and scale, they're hardly comparable.

I'm curious as to what you find particularly "Japanese" about KD's system of interaction. Not that I'm saying the characterization is wrong, but, for instance, KD's gameplay is highly dependent on emergence (a typically Western concern) and non-linearity/freeform exploration (also a typically Western concern). My best guess is that you mean Spore is decidedly literal in terms of "what's going on", whereas KD isn't.

Ajutla: what I meant to say was, Spore's stages seem like they're noticeably differentiated in terms of interface and control. The initial stage, for instance, is 2-D, and there's a seperate interface for, say, building design that you simply don't have access to prior to forming societies. In that sense, it seems a bit more discrete than KD's pretty seamless approach.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katamari damashii is basically bubbles, which was published by williams in 1982.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overexcited wank from mr. sim[noun] is still going to be pretty good.

i think you guys expect far too much from games, as a rule.
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
overexcited wank from mr. sim[noun] is still going to be pretty good.

i think you guys expect far too much from games, as a rule.

I don't expect much from the game, personally. My computer probably can't even run it.

It does, however, mean a lot for the videogame industry as a whole. On-the-fly created content is, I think, the threshold we've been waiting for as an industry. Just as the CD-ROM reinvented games, so shall this idea, if it ever catches on. I'd love to play a game of Master of Orion 2 where the races are all randomly generated, and I have to deal with each in a certain way to satisfy what they want before I'm strong enough to obliterate their pathetic genes from the face of the galaxy. I want a game where the enemies change appearance and tactics based on what has been successful against you based upon what you've been doing in the past. Imagine the possibilities!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORE LIKE WILL WRONG AM I RIGHT
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

IIOIOOIOO wrote:
STFU TOUPS
Walter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
katamari damashii is basically bubbles, which was published by williams in 1982.

Even less well known was its sequel, Everyone Loves Bubbles!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

grumble grumble.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

So if Katamari Damacy is basically bubbles then Spore is basically a rip-off of a 20 year old arcade game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want the tower sp to be released in north america.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

dessgeega wrote:
i want the tower sp to be released in north america.

BITCH!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: