The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a love letter to morrowind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: a love letter to morrowind Reply with quote

dear morrowind:

i was down on games in all their forms. i'd had enough. i couldn't take hints of promise wrapped in a layer of x-treme despair. i was sick of being played. and i had given up hope.

my friends told me about you. i'd heard all the open ended teasers i could handle. i crushed on your older brother arena when i was a kid, and messed around with daggerfall in between bouts of abusing youthful indiscretions in college, but i wasn't sold. i remember how unreliable both of your siblings were - lost npcs, getting stuck in walls, and more crashes to the desktop than i wanted to remember. i couldn't take any more pain.

but i know nothing ventured means nothing gained. things were rocky at first. why is every npc either impatient and intolerant or trying to get into my pants? technically, you were sluggish and not always there for me, just like before. but i hadn't been following the rules, and a few driver updates latere we were crusing paradise at 60fps. even your stupid combat mechanics make me love you even more, and i would cross some of those mountains with the funny names just to be with you.

[heart]
mike
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's just beautiful.

And who says romance is dead?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah! Funny, I like it. Especially since following the IC thread.

Welcome to the fold of Morrowind converts.

So then, have you learned the language?
Kidnapped a wife?
Raided the trasure vaults?

Damn, I wish I could go back and discover it afresh.

So then, tell us which character you used, class, etc.
Done anything mischievious?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly enough, i generally don't fuck around that much. my disposition is one of beating things so my past TES characters tended to be fighter/chatty types. i'm not too big on thieving persay, and magic just ain't my thing.

one thing i found with morrowind in comparision to the previous two games is that there aren't as many truly useful major and minor skils to pick, since it makes little sense to pick more than one weapon type (outside of marksman, which i'm not totally sold on as a sniping option yet) so i found myself picking things like heavy armor and block to pad holes. i like lockpicking.

it lacks the sort of limitless depth of the first two games but has far more focus. i wish i were playing it now, which is a great compliment, i think.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Damn, I wish I could go back and discover it afresh.

Hell, you practically can. I should find all the links that I did before about textures and heads and bodies and ambient sounds and... fuck everything. It is like Morrowind the remix. I am half tempted to see just how different I can make this game feel. So, lets see what links I can come up with off hand:

Better Heads: Thats right it goes in and makes all those ugly blocky heads look like real heads. There are mods that go one further and replace specific NPCs with specific heads.

Better Bodies: That is right, now you can see teh b00bies. That aside the benifit is that you can now see better hands and better joints. It also makes you think twice about stealing all a man has to offer.

Morrowind Visual Pack: Wow... I can't even begin to mention how much this helps the game. If nothing else get this and the update. It is really amazing what this adds to the world you walk through and the cities you visit.

Morrowind Atmospheric Effects: This over 4 updates adds something like 15,000 new points of sound and it also tweaks some of the sound effects. If you play with headphones you will probably appreciate it otherwise it is non-essential.

Morrowind Comes Alive(Sorry no direct link): I am half tempted to use this mod just to see how good it really is. Basically it puts NPCs on a scedule and has them doing random things.

Sleep or Suffer: I am just going to quote this since it sounds neat as hell... "Sleep is now a necessity. If you go too long without sleep, your character is definately going to feel the effects of sleep deprivation. Try and see how long you can stay awake and survive. Stay awake for 132 hours or more and you enter the Realm of Chaos!"

Combat Enhanced: While interesting sounding in the way it changes up combat to include combos and rage effects (think Berserk) I don't really know if I want to commit to it just yet, but I know it is there if I want to get into it later on.

There is more, but these seemed to change the game up the most with out adding in new quests.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I would like to direct the audience to my poem as well: http://www.gamersquarter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2113#2113
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's some tough love right there.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: a love letter to morrowind Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
[heart]
mike

<3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i give morrowind a sideways ice cream cone with an ass hanging out of it?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:

Hell, you practically can.

Damn, those links and all the add-ons look great.... alas I be playing it with an Xbox.

My Xbox is Xcutioner modded though, but I'm wondering how easy it is to apply these mods to the game. If it involved ripping and reburning, it might be out of league....
Can someone post the needed specs for this game to run on a PC?
I mean the *real* specs, not the fictional ones games companies put on the back of boxes.

Then again, I must admit, I enjoyed playing the Xbox version very much. Damn, the amount of times I spent playing it until 2am because I forgot to look at the time is ridiculous. (should I even be admitting to playing games until 2am?)

I think I'll restart, but as an Orc, and dedicate that game to joining the army and doing well in it. (damn, love the way the imperial army is based on the Roman Empire)
No magic for me, just a long sword and some heavy armor.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sz. I know it is possible to mod your Xbox morrowind file, I just have no idea how. Unfortunatly I don't think that I have the will power to research all the information to get mods up on the Xbox, but I have seen camera photos of people who got it working.

Anyways, I would say that if you want to get it running at a decent framerate you will need at least something around 1.2ghz and about 256mb of RAM. This will get you going at about 640X480 at about 30 - 45 FPS. Just go to elderscrolls.com and make sure you have a video card that they list, that is probably more important than the speed of your PC.

But those specs were what I had in my PC when the game came out and I enjoyed playing it better on my TV than my PC monitor. I would definatly go back to the game if you can get the mods working on your Xbox.

Actually I did find how you do it. If you have some moderate PC knowledge it does not seem too difficult.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i give morrowind a sideways ice cream cone with an ass hanging out of it?

It can also be read as a reclining heart... if you believe in magic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries shaper....
actually, Ive been so inundated with work I havent even had time to go back to MW these past two days to test out my Ork Soldier idea... plus I have Earthbound to finally complete. (dont tell Toups I keep bailing at the half way mark btw)

Otherwise..... Yeah, I must have a look into this, but the TIME! My kingdom for some more time during the day. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and that ass in an ice cream cone thing made me laugh. Perhaps for longer than I should have...
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because it is so true. Nothing's grabbed me the same way Morrowind has and that's saying something for a game that's pretty relentlessly ugly and clunky in oh so many ways. I have Oblivion installed on my machine and any number of excellent games to play on my consoles and none of them are as compelling as Morrowind.

Despite that it's pretty obviously smaller than Oblivion, it feels larger because there's so much more going on. Sure, Oblivion probably has "more stuff" if you tally up all the sidequests and whatnot you can do; still, in the end, it feels like this generic fantasy mush. Morrowind feels like what it claims to be, a mash of different cultures and different peoples stuck on an island together, often with murderous intent. The various politics also were very well laid-out in terms of giving the impression of multiple factions, based on various historical actions.

Morrowind succeeds in spite of itself because it's got such an interesting world, something that Oblivion largely missed. I think it's similar to the way that Dwarf Fortress works, in that the actions of the player feel significant because they feel epic, or they have consequential weight to them, not because the game says "this is epic stuff"; because it impacts the game.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a charater who would be infamously known as the Pants Bandit. I would attack people and rob them of their pants. I had a secret hide away that was just filled with mountains of pants from my victims. I really wished that someone would come and discover it, but alas. It was still fun.

I should have made a mod which included the hideout as a secret... I wonder if anyone would have found it and gone WTF!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pants bandit is one of the best things i have ever heard.

i think i might still buy that oblivion expansion, maybe, eventually.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were all at the GDC awards show and Oblivion was up for some award I looked over to Toups and said “…but Morrowind was so much better.”
He responded with “It’s true.”

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, i'm going to uninstall oblivion and finally try morrowind tonight (thanks guys!!)

any other recommended mods?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ones Shapes listed are pretty good. I'm also a big fan of the mod that selectively makes enemies non-/hostile, which is pretty much a must unless you enjoy being attacked by those flying buggers approx. every 10 feet.

There was a huge bundle of mods with a manual and everything that this one big PC gaming forum came up with. I'll check when I get home and see if I still have it or a reference to what it was called, since it was nice to just download everything in one big chunk and have instructions in terms of what to install first to avoid conflicts.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating on writing an article about the better bodies mod and what it adds to the game.

The other things are mostly not essential, but I highly recommend better heads/bodies and visual pack.

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok shaper, i'm up and running for the first time ever (quite excited about it!) with the better heads/bodies, improved visual pack, signpost mod, and passive wildlife.. question, though: is there any way to make the game run in widescreen resolutions? if not, no big deal, i'll just have to play windowed.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is! I believe you have to modify the morrowind.ini file or something like that. That's what I'm doing on my laptop, so I know it's possible.

Here you go:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16&highlight=morrowind
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a note, i found widescreen morrowind unplayable on my system (16:9, 1280x720, 27"), but i didn't tweak it too much.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got it running too. Actually it didn't really hurt my framerate (not that I ever really got it above 30). I don't remember how anymore, but it seems like scratchmonkey does!

Also, I recommend putting the settings higher than you think they can go for draw distances. I found that it made almost no difference between 1/3 and 2/3 of the bar.

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! see, here i was looking in the ini to tweak resolution settings, and.. they're in the registry? that is pretty hardcore or somesuch.

and yeah, it's nice to have the resolution turned up as high as it can go (1280x800) with draw distance maxed and everything, whereas i had to gimp oblivion beyond belief. (1.6 pM, 1gb, x600). one technical question - are there any particularly popular water mods? it seemed really jarring as soon as i went above decks; it's way too white and too shiny.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing STALKER, I remembered a bunch of mods I downloaded for Morrowind to fix the biggest problem I had with the game: it felt so dead. I mean, they had this rich world with a huge history, but everything was so static. So to improve the experience I downloaded:

Real Signs: Changes the textures on the sign posts so that you can actually read them without clicking on them.

Ambient Noise: Adds a bnuch of ambient noises for both day and night, improved that atmosphere quite a bit, especially after turning off the music which had like two tracks.

Smart Animals: This was a brilliant mod that made lower level animals not attack you once you're strong enough not to be challanged by them anymore. That means you don't get attacked by rats and cliffracers when you're level million!

Natural Selection: Made some of the animals fight each other. This was always entertaning to watch.

Travelling merchants: Added a couple marchants that would actually move between towns. I liked bumping into them, having a quick chat and seeing what they had to trade.

I'm sure I had others installed, but those were the big ones. The names are based on a hazy memory, by the way... someone else may actually be able to recall the proper names for some of them (I think about half of them are correct).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have all of those installed except for Smarter Animals, I had something along the lines of Realistic Wildlife, where most non-diseased animals wouldn't be aggressive and would only attack in self-defense.

I also installed the Morrowind FPS Optimizer, which was a horrible decision that completely kills my framerate by constantly fucking with my draw distance in order to give me a "smooth ride" that is roughly 10 times more frustrating than having a low framerate.

Aside from Stalker, I'm jonesing for a new computer because it would be nice to finally be able to run Morrowind (and Oblivion, for that matter) at butter-smooth speeds.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I think I have all of those installed except for Smarter Animals, I had something along the lines of Realistic Wildlife, where most non-diseased animals wouldn't be aggressive and would only attack in self-defense.

I think that's maybe what I actually had. It was so long ago. Maybe I should play again, see if I can actually manage to finish the main quest... but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got really far along it actually, or at least what I like to think as "far along". I'd gotten to the point where the shaman lady says I have to return when the moons are right, which I can tell is game speak for "run around and do sidequests and shit now because it's about to get pretty heavy".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: