The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warren Spector needs to create the next Metroid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Warren Spector needs to create the next Metroid Reply with quote

After having Thief: Deadly Shadows sitting around in the plastic for the past two or more years, I finally opened it after hearing the first positive impressions of it ever from Cycle. I played for a couple hours last night and I have to say that it provides possibly the most oppressive game environment I’ve played in since Metroid 2.

This leads me to believe that Warren Spector needs to create the next Metroid.

Retro, please hire him!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aerisdead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works on the 360, right?

I really need to pick that up. Been meaning to play it forever.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea presented here that metroid is nowadays in the hand of a studio with no identifiable celebrities who, in fact, might be pretty well served to go around hiring american FPS (FPA? whatever) developers is kind of a shocking one to swallow.

that said: sure, yeah, go for it! i don't buy enough videogames based on the big names behind them nowadays, anyway (helloooo studio era).

also lord knows i can't bring myself to give a damn about prime 3 at present.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
the idea presented here that metroid is nowadays in the hand of a studio with no identifiable celebrities who, in fact, might be pretty well served to go around hiring american FPS (FPA? whatever) developers is kind of a shocking one to swallow.

After seeing him at GDC, I think Warren Spector gets "the big picture" about storytelling and creating an atmosphere in games that something like the Metroid Prime series could use. That said, I don't think just because he previously worked on FPS games, and Metroid Prime is a pseudo-FPS series, should matter, since the reasons they could use him would extend beyond that scope.

I'VE GOT IT! Warren Spector should make a Zero-Mission style remake of Metroid 2 for the GBA/DS/Virtual Console.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
Works on the 360, right?

I just looked on the BC list and I guess it is. Though, after the handful of games I've tried with it I just decided to leave my Xbox hooked up rather than deal with some of that crap. Basically I'm saying that I can't vouch for how it will look/control on the 360 (though the black/white buttons mapped to the bumpers would probably be better than how it is now).

About the FPS part of it, well I'm only playing Thief in first person when looking around occasionally. The game is a third person game. I don't think that Warren Spector could really tell a story as well in 2D as 3D. I don't think he's wired that way.

simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I'VE GOT IT! Warren Spector should make a Zero-Mission style remake of Metroid 2 for the GBA/DS/Virtual Console.

The Metroid 2 part maybe, the 2D/portable part no. Like shaper says, he's excellent at creating tension and loneliness that are best tied to a first-ish person viewpoint. It's something I don't think could be acheived on a portable.

But wait, why does Metroid 2 need a remake? Couldn't he just do a new Metroid alright on his own?

But wait, why does it need to be Metroid? Couldn't he just do whatever he wanted on his own? And wouldn't it likely be awesome?

Thought so.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
But wait, why does it need to be Metroid? Couldn't he just do whatever he wanted on his own? And wouldn't it likely be awesome?

No, see, it's more like the Metroid series needs him.

aerisdead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I just looked on the BC list and I guess it is. Though, after the handful of games I've tried with it I just decided to leave my Xbox hooked up rather than deal with some of that crap.

Oh. What's so wrong with 360 BC? I haven't used it yet due to my perennial huge backlog of games, but I have at least... 10 or so titles on the "to be played when bought" Xbox list that I'll need to be BCing. I can't be arsed hooking up an original xbox, even if they're going to cost about $30 in a month.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparently some games run really well (mainly Halo and GTA), but from my experience you can get anything from horrible slowdown not in the original game, graphical glitches, lighting problems, random weirdness, or just plain failure to play. I mean, depending on how much you're willing to put up with it may not be that big a deal for you.

Like, HL2 was just fine though I know it would have been "better" on the Xbox due to a few areas with massive slowdown. Though Pariah gets to a point where it just goes into a weird infinite graphic loop after a certain level and becomes unplayable. Some games have holes/spaces between polygons.

The 360's BC will probably be the reason that I get a PS3 sooner than later (when they stop including hardware BC on PS3s, because their software emulation only supports something like 40% of all PS2 games, and if the 360 is any indication then it will never work right either).

Perseus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Spector didn't work on Thief: Deadly Shadows, you know. This thread should be about Randy Smith.

Edit: if i've got my facts straight, spector didn't work on any of the thief titles. i think smith was part of The Looking Glass before joining Ion Storm, tho. He's since gone on to work on the recent Might and Magic FPS title.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, he didn't?

What was he doing as the Studio Director at the time then?

Randy Smith is credited as "Project Director" though.

Perseus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good question. He was probably involved in the development of Deus Ex 2, tho he wasn't project lead or a designer on that one either. I'm guessing he was too bogged down with running the studio to lead any projects and just gave miyamoto-style input on all of them.

Edit: It occurs to me that it's extremely hard to pin-point the person ultimately responsible for Thief 3's atmosphere being as tense and atmospheric as it ultimately was. The lead designer? The art director? If I had to choose one guy, it'd be the one who designed that one level- I think it was called the Cradle.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Cradle was awesome and very clever and very well designed, but I actually didn't think it had the best atmosphere in the game. I should write an article about that one day!

Also, Shaper, what the hell are you doing? Thief is totally a first person game. I tried playing it in third person for about ten minutes before I reverted back.

I recall Warren having more to do with Thief 3 than Deus Ex 2, but I can't remember what role specfically. Also, I know he worked on the original Thief because I read an interview with him about it before the game came out, and it sounded like he did lots of work on it. I don't think he worked on the second though, he was busy with Deus Ex.

Mobygames isn't that reliable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Mobygames isn't that reliable.

Too true. They're missing 3/4ths of my credits and all of the good ones.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to trust a company with a mascot this ugly.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Also, Shaper, what the hell are you doing? Thief is totally a first person game. I tried playing it in third person for about ten minutes before I reverted back.

There are points where it is a first person game and you can feel that it is designed around that, but I play it much better in 3rd person. That's just how my brain is wired. Don't try to figure it out, most people can't!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: