The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That which controls you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: That which controls you Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is there a dearth of third-party Xbox 360 controllers? Now, I expect something like this for the Wii, but shouldn't there be 10 or so different models to choose from by now for the 360?

I'm looking for a controller that has a different D-pad because playing Lumines with the wireless 360 controller is driving me mad. The best choice it seems is the Hori Turbo Pad but I've read reports at a few different places that it has a lot of issues with latency.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions, but the problem is that Microsoft hasn't licensed out the proprietary 360 wireless technology yet. The only wireless controllers are first party, and as a result there's not a lot of supply for any demand for third party controllers.

And yeah, that controller's d-pad blows. I wonder if there are any hacks?

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Circuit City (again) just now and they had this Mad Catz controller which I was seriously considering getting just because the D-Pad looks traditional instead of one of the shitty Microsoft ones.

I'm not too hung up on Wireless, but it would be nice.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been watching this DIY video and it all seems like things I could do. I might try it!
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
So I've been watching this DIY video and it all seems like things I could do. I might try it!

You could do it the lame way or you could do it with gusto
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think being drunk with a dremel in one hand and a bottle of tequila in the other would be a lot more "gusto" personally. Maybe I'll do it when you guys come for GDC!

But seriously, doing it that way is going to leave shavings and crap to fall into the controller and gunk the whole thing up, and taking it apart doesn't seem so hard.

I'm also thinking about doing the LED-under-the-buttons mod while I'm in there anyway.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that the 360 controllers worst problem is the dpad. It's pretty much unacceptable for nearly everything that uses it. It's in a decent enough spot and large enough, but its fucking horrible.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot imagine playing a fighting game with it. I had the same problem with the original Xbox's D-pad such that I got a PS2 to Xbox converter.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
taking it apart doesn't seem so hard.

Yeah, except for finding the special screwdriver for cheap. Any ideas where to get one?

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
taking it apart doesn't seem so hard.

Yeah, except for finding the special screwdriver for cheap. Any ideas where to get one?

-Wes

Here's a full set of Phillips Precision screwdrivers for $22 at Amazon. I've seen the individual ones (so #1 and #0) for about $5 a piece.

Here's the bit set for the wireless controller with the T8H bit for $9, or if you just want the one you can get it here for $5.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Froogle helps!.

Also, while looking for that I ran across a really sweet looking mod here. It seems pretty easy. I use to mod a ton of controllers, and the sanding plus the vinyl dye (orange!) might be worth doing this when it's a bit warmer outside (to set up a spray tent).

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Froogle helps!.

Also, while looking for that I ran across a really sweet looking mod here. It seems pretty easy. I use to mod a ton of controllers, and the sanding plus the vinyl dye (orange!) might be worth doing this when it's a bit warmer outside (to set up a spray tent).

Man I would love a bright pink controller, but it looks like I would have to dye it red and then again with white to fade the red.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Froogle helps!.

Actually, this is a pretty good deal:

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,5062.htm

Added bling too.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I cannot imagine playing a fighting game with it. I had the same problem with the original Xbox's D-pad such that I got a PS2 to Xbox converter.

I can't imagine how anyone plays fighters with the PS2 d-pad. That thing can cut meat.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
I can't imagine how anyone plays fighters with the PS2 d-pad. That thing can cut meat.

Arcadestick > Decent Arcade Stick > Saturn Pad > Genesis Controller > NES (nintendo ilk) > PS2 > Xbox > > > > > 360 > Most third party items (barring hori).

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Arcadestick > Decent Arcade Stick > Saturn Pad > Genesis Controller > NES (nintendo ilk) > PS2 > Xbox > > > > > 360 > Most third party items (barring hori).

I will stand against that part in bold text till the day I die. The PS2 controller is just so damn uncomfortable to me. At least the Xbox pad I can just sort of glide over everything. The buttons are friggin awkward on the thing, but at least that D-pad is better than the Sony Cross Cutter. Especially for fighters..

I've not touched an X360 controller so I have no opinion of that.

Still I mean it's like arguing whether Diet Rite or Diet RC Cola is better when we all know we'd rather be drinking Jones Soda or any other brand that uses real cane sugar over corn syrup.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine!
Saturn Pad > PS2 Controller > PS1 Controller > SNES Controller > Hori GC Pad > Decent Arcade Stick > Genesis Controller > Xbox Controller > GameCube Controller > Dreamcast Pad > 360 > Indecent Arcade Stick > All third party items.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my preference for the PS2 pad has to do with it being a lot smoother (since the buttons are flatter) than the Dreamcast pad, and after years of playing fighters on the DC using that D-pad (and losing all feeling in my left thumb), playing Guity Gear on the PS2 was like a dream.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I think being drunk with a dremel in one hand and a bottle of tequila in the other would be a lot more "gusto" personally. Maybe I'll do it when you guys come for GDC!

But seriously, doing it that way is going to leave shavings and crap to fall into the controller and gunk the whole thing up, and taking it apart doesn't seem so hard.

I'm also thinking about doing the LED-under-the-buttons mod while I'm in there anyway.

Maybe I'll bring my 360 controller and we can have a d-pad modding party!
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I think my preference for the PS2 pad has to do with it being a lot smoother (since the buttons are flatter) than the Dreamcast pad, and after years of playing fighters on the DC using that D-pad (and losing all feeling in my left thumb), playing Guity Gear on the PS2 was like a dream.

Now I don't get this either. I really liked the Dreamcast pad. With all the problems people say they had with it, I just never understood it. I played a ton of NBA Showtime, King of Fighters, CvS2, and SF3 on the system without trouble. I then moved on to the Xbox for my fighting fix due to Live.

I tried playing SF Alpha Anthology over the summer and I wish this was made for Xbox instead of PS2. Performing custom combos feels more like grating cheese. So much for ever learning to use Karen in Alpha3, she is by far my favorite character of the bunch.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, god
I forgot about the DC dpad. That's the reason I have two of those agetec arcade sticks.

Also, Wes, the Genesis 6 button controller (you know, the one for fighting games) is almost the exact same as the Saturn pad. How the hell do you have them so far apart?

AND I forgot to give props to the NGPC stick!

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was too firm and square, when I tried to play Rival Schools it dug into my thumb pretty hard, and going back to play MVC2 last year after not having touched it in so long was painful.

I think a lot of it has to do with how far out from the controller the Dreamcast D-pad reached.

Now compare that to the PS2 d-pad. These aren't to scale, but I think you can see that the PS2 d-pad does not extend from the controller nearly as far, in addition to being four separate buttons instead one large plus-sized button.

I can understand being used to a traditional D-Pad and having trouble going to a PS2 style one, but at the same time I found I preferred having separate buttons for each direction than one large one. Going back to the Wii and even the Gamecube has been hard for me since I'm now used to that different style.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Oh, god
I forgot about the DC dpad. That's the reason I have two of those agetec arcade sticks.

Also, Wes, the Genesis 6 button controller (you know, the one for fighting games) is almost the exact same as the Saturn pad. How the hell do you have them so far apart?

AND I forgot to give props to the NGPC stick!

Because it's MY list. And the only fighting games I've really ever played on the Genesis are Eternal Champions and Mortal Kombat 1, so it loses points by default.

Also the only reason I really hate the Dreamcast pad is because it rubs the shit out of my knuckles when I use the D pad, making it really, really painful.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Because it's MY list. And the only fighting games I've really ever played on the Genesis are Eternal Champions and Mortal Kombat 1, so it loses points by default.

Also the only reason I really hate the Dreamcast pad is because it rubs the shit out of my knuckles when I use the D pad, making it really, really painful.

Then why even rate it? that stupid. You can't take off points for the games you played.

Also, how in gods name did you rub your knuckles?

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Then why even rate it? that stupid. You can't take off points for the games you played.

Also, how in gods name did you rub your knuckles?

Dude. That controller is so unergonomic it's incredible. Maybe not my knuckle, but whatever that bone is that's at the base of your first finger. I don't know.

Why did you rate the NES pad for fighting games?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Why did you rate the NES pad for fighting games?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but seriously, I just kind of lumped all of the Nintendo Controllers together since they're pretty similar.

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
compare that to the PS2 d-pad. These aren't to scale, but I think you can see that the PS2 d-pad does not extend from the controller nearly as far, in addition to being four separate buttons instead one large plus-sized button.

I can understand being used to a traditional D-Pad and having trouble going to a PS2 style one, but at the same time I found I preferred having separate buttons for each direction than one large one. Going back to the Wii and even the Gamecube has been hard for me since I'm now used to that different style.

The GC d-pad is piss, I concede that one. Which is why I have a Hori!

However, if you lay the PS2 pad on top of a DC controller, the buttons and pad are the same distance from each other. The PS2 has a bunch of crap between those two points that it ltakes up less real estate smaller. The DC is a giant with a ton of white, empty VMU housing space and a slightly smaller D-pad since it's not 4 separate buttons.

Also I use my middle finger to hit triggers on the all controllers aside from the SNES and PS controllers. I don't know why, but my fingers just curl that way on them. I am guessing they just put them too far back for my index fingers.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
compare that to the PS2 d-pad. These aren't to scale, but I think you can see that the PS2 d-pad does not extend from the controller nearly as far, in addition to being four separate buttons instead one large plus-sized button.

The GC d-pad is piss, I concede that one. Which is why I have a Hori!

However, if you lay the PS2 pad on top of a DC controller, the buttons and pad are the same distance from each other. The PS2 has a bunch of crap between those two points that it ltakes up less real estate smaller. The DC is a giant with a ton of white, empty VMU housing space and a slightly smaller D-pad since it's not 4 separate buttons.

Also I use my middle finger to hit triggers on the all controllers aside from the SNES and PS controllers. I don't know why, but my fingers just curl that way on them. I am guessing they just put them too far back for my index fingers.

Err, I meant the distance vertically from the top of the controller that the D-Pad is jutting out. The Dreamcast pad is about 8cm from the controller face, while the PS2 is less than half of that. That's where I found the most trouble, with it digging into my thumb.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if both the Xbox pad and DC pad had the positions of the analog and D-pad reversed you'd be more comfortable with it?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, she means the amount that the pad comes out from the face of the controller.

Code:

m
m
m                                            m
m <- height of dreamcast dpad  m <- height of dual shock dpad

The difference in height meaning that there's more forces/leverage operating on your thumb when press the d-pad "all the way" in one particular direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: