The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The official Kojima discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: The official Kojima discussion Reply with quote

What was the first Kojima game you played? Did you love it?

For me it was the first metal gear but my true Kojima love blossomed with Metal Gear Solid. He lost me for a while with Zone of the Enders, and I was confused and entertained by MGS2, but MGS3 put me right back in the cult of Kojima.

Also I was wondering what do people do when they don't have anything to promote at E3? I mean Kojima has nothing else to do until his next thing, so does he just relax at E3 or go back to being a Konami Vice President type guy.

Why doesn't Japan remame streets for developers like we do here in LA for actors and such?

This topic is kind of Random but also inspired.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First game? I don't know I would have to look, but I fell in love with his style with MGS2. Anyways...Do you have a list of all the games he was part of?
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOKIMEKI MEMORIAL

I loved the way I would miss dates because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Ah, happy SNES days..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
First game? I don't know I would have to look, but I fell in love with his style with MGS2. Anyways...Do you have a list of all the games he was part of?

I found this it should help.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojima first gripped me with his Metal Gear Solid fist.

I had to ask my mother for the money to buy it at a Funcoland. I was embarrassed.

Yet the humiliation quickly turned to joy as I made my way through the first disc one the first day.

On the second day I beat it with the Otacon ending.

The first time I played it and the following times as well , now that I think about it, I didn't think the game was 'postmodern' or 'wierd.' It was a GAME to me. And I'd been so conditioned to accept nonsense in games that the only thing that I considered 'witty' about the game was that it had a Russian Spetznaz officer who used an American Civil War era revolver and dressed and acted like "The Bad" character in the "Good, The Bad and the Ugly."

I also liked Revolver's speech after you resist the second torture session. It took alot to get there. I remember my dad walked while I busy with it and asked me:"How much longer are you going to keep jerking those guys off?" I didn't know what to answer.

Playing it again recently, I wonder, should I take any of it seriously?
EightBit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly fond of the man myself. Though I enjoyed Boktai and the second Z.O.E. I'm not sure what roles he played in the making of those games. Both were terribly entertaining though. No.. I'm not a Metal Gear fan.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first game was MGS.... i liked it because it kinda broke the mold in the sense that it kept one interested in the game....

for example... i would always play around with the guards just to mess with the AI..

and the story was pretty tight too.. there was a keen eye on the details.. that there was...

and then i played MSG2... and was blown away a little more...

probably the first game that made me want to reasearch the abstract things it was talking about...

MGS2 mustered up nostalgia in me... and then i played MG1, MG2 and snatcher..

snatcher was more than great.....
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of playing Metal Gear, but I've had trouble sticking with the games. I think it's because they take a lot of time, and by the point where I'm halfway in, a dozen other interested games have come out and distracted me.

So I guess on that basis I'm not the biggest of fans, but I think he's quite clever nonetheless.
Master Fighter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Kojima game I ever played was the NES version of METAL GEAR, only he didn't have a hand in that translation... so that doesn't count until I played the actual MSX version emulated, thus my first Kojima game would realistically be

SNATCHER

on the Sega CD. I had a lot of fun with that game, and came to really appreciate the man's visions. On the MGS 2 note, ppl will forever be divided on that one as some like it and some hate it... I for one hate MGS2, and MGS 3 was great but still had too many faults IMO. Basic things like not being able to strip the dead of their gear, or use their uniforms etcetra really piss me off, considering how everything else was more or less done to prefection.
nICO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't play one until I a friend got MGS for the PSX. I didn't actually beat one, however, until I got Twin Snakes and MGS2: Substance (PS2) myself just last year. I count them as one in a way because I played them pretty much together...I started MGS2 as soon as I beat 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im probably obsessed with his older games most.

Damn, I love those 2D metal gear games. And Snatcher. And Policenauts.
Good times.

Failing that, Im waiting for someone to link to a picture of the MGS wine.
(damn, it would have been funny if someone borught THAT for him to sign at the London signing a few weeks back)
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Kojima game was MGS2. I picked it up for a spare ten-dollar bill, played it for about 5 minutes, and decided I hated it. I was hooked on it, though, and played a 9-hour marathon session of it. Pretty good for a game I "hated". In general, the stealth action mechanics got on my nerves (my natural impulse is to GOGOGO when danger draws near, never hide) but everything else about the game was just about perfect. It's definitely the best movie I've ever played.

MGS1, on the other hand, had gameplay I liked. I guess not having the first-person shooting mode (and not needing it) allowed me to fight more effectively, which allowed my unsneakiness to not become a factor in my eventual demise. It also has some of the most intense boss fights ever devised in a video game, and boss fights are what usually makes or breaks a game for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: