The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone else's predection for the PSP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUN FACT:

The cyclops creature model was supposed to have a penis in God of War, but they had to "cut" it, probably cause they were worried that the breasts were a risky enough move on their own. I'm serious, check out the commentary on the "deleted monsters" extra feature.

I thought the sexuality and violence were handled well and fit the setting of the game perfectly. Having the oracle wearing that translucent... thing was maybe a bit excessive, but aside from her and the harlots at the beginning of the game, that's really all there is in terms of boobage. It's worth noting that the breasts were actually somewhat realistically rendered compared to how they are usually represented in videogames -- they weren't magical gravity defying "fun bags", but rather hung off the ladies' chests like heavy bags of fat ought to.

As for the morality thing: it's role-playing. When you play a game like God of War, you aren't being yourself, you are being Kratos. So you do things that he would do. He is characterized as a heartless bastard not just in the cutscenes but in the gameplay. I thought it was well done and made me feel like I understood the character on a deeper level. Besides if you've read Greek mythology, ancient Greek heroes often performed some pretty atrocious acts, either on their own or at the whim of the gods.

ANYWAY ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY AM I RITE
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
FUN FACT:

The cyclops creature model was supposed to have a penis

As it is it looks like they left it with a nutsack. Or what appears to be a nutsack.

Mister Toups wrote:
As for the morality thing: it's role-playing.

Like I said above, true. But I still don't enjoy that aspect of the game. I think it's clumsily handled either way.

On a lighter note, I got to the 'Rings of Pandora' last night. Despite a few moments, it was much more enjoyable, gameplay-wise. And one of the weapons you get later on-- no spoilers here-- is pretty fun. I'm liking it a little more, maybe because there are fewer cutscenes.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
On a lighter note, I got to the 'Rings of Pandora' last night. Despite a few moments, it was much more enjoyable, gameplay-wise. And one of the weapons you get later on-- no spoilers here-- is pretty fun. I'm liking it a little more, maybe because there are fewer cutscenes.

One of the parts that I liked the most about the game was that when I was at the end I had all but one weapon at max (I did not like that weapon anyways, medusas head). This says to me that the game was balanced. I don't like to go way out of my way to re fight enemies just to get more experience (red orbs in this case) to upgrade. I never really went out of my way, I just killed what was presented to me and ended up seeing most of what the game had to offer in terms of weapons.

Also the Rings of Pandora (from when you enter till when you get the box) is my favorite part of the game. Then it goes down hill after that.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I enjoyed the begginning and ending parts a lot but thought things really started to hang around the rings of pandora thing.

I thought the way you got out of Hades was pretty brilliant.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Weird. I enjoyed the begginning and ending parts a lot but thought things really started to hang around the rings of pandora thing.

I thought the way you got out of Hades was pretty brilliant.

Well... yea, that is really weird. I liked it really well all the way through to the part after you get Pandoras Box. Everything (moral reasons aside) else was really really great fun.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat this bitch (God of War) last night. I know what shaper was talking about with the whole disliking of the hades part. It was awesome imagery at first, but it quickly started feeling a lot more like a set of scripted video game challenges than an actual environment. As much as it didn't quite work, I do think that it helped to set it apart from the previous areas. I've got to say that I was extremely impressed with how they handled the story in the end. Whenever it was possible to put the story in the hands of the player they did so and it made the sequence feel more like the end of a story than the end of a game. I appreciated that.

As for how the story itself ended... well yeah, it was a kind of an annoying twist, but it was a twist that thankfully kept the story from being too predicatable.

I think I'm going to try to finish up Metal Gear Ac!d some time this weekend and pick up Psychonauts next week.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
and pick up Psychonauts next week.

Hell ya!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
and pick up Psychonauts next week.

Hell ya!

Oh shit!

EB Games Spring Sale valid 4/15/05-5/1/05
-Purchase Psychonauts XB/PC or Super Monkey Ball DXL XB/PC and get a $10 EB Gift Voucher
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't have high hopes for Psychonauts any more. I'm only getting it out of curiosity. I played it for a few minutes at GDC and every single thing I did seemed to be accompanied by a cutscene. Tim Schaffer has said before that the reason gamers don't think story is important is because they haven't been given a story worth caring about. I think he's wrong, but we'll see...

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damned demo doesn't run on my PC. My graphics card is slightly too ancient. Since I don't have an XBox, I guess I have to wait until the PS2 version comes out and find out if it's an abomination or not (3rd-party port to creakier hardware than my PC makes me jittery).

Maybe I can fake it out into thinking I have pixel shader-capable hardware. There are ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: