The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steam and copy protection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antitype

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Steam and copy protection. Reply with quote

I was going to post something asking whether or not I'd have any trouble moving my games that require a Steam login to my new computer, but a quick google search tells me that I should be just fine — Steam has its own built-in backup service. I have most of my Steam games on disc anyway, so I imagine I'll be able to simply install them and sign on to Steam and that will be that. For those that I acquired via download, though, I guess they will just be downloaded again once I log on and Steam recognizes which games should be in my account...?

Anyway, thinking about this raised another issue: what if Valve were ever to shut down their offices for whatever reason? Would they release a final patch for all Steam games that would disable the copy protection? Surely we wouldn't be left with our games in permanent lockdown.

Use this thread to discuss Steam and other forms of copy protection if you'd like.
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago the storms in the NW shut down a lot of the power-grid in the Seattle area.

Steam was down, when it came back up the servers were wacky. I was asked to repurchase HL2/CS:S- which I bought physically. This went on for a couple of days, then all was well.

I still get the re-buy thing occaisionally. Logging off and on again fixes it.

If steam went down permanently, I'm sure they'd put out a patch.

You can already get the cracks, if don't mind trojans.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life 2 is a game I regret BUYING but not playing. I regret it because I believe that it is the short end of the wedge of things like digital-rights management. It is a total disgrace that you have to use Steam to download giga-bytes of updates just to play it for the first time.

Valve are b*trds!
antitype

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of people complain about that, but I've never had to wait for more than five minutes for updates to download before I could play. I suppose it's a bigger problem for those still on dial-up.
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam infuriated me at first.

Then I got DSL.

Now I don't care, except in principle.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing steam's ever done wrong is hindering my extreme early adopter tendancies. ie: I couldn't play HL2 or Defcon within 12-24 hours of initial release. If I were to get really worked up about that sort of thing I'd have to really wonder about myself in a serious psychiatric manner.
faethor123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

help! anyone know what i can do to resolve this problem with steam login? i was running half 2 for a couple of weeks no problem with steam logins...then one day i get message " unable to login to steam network this may be due to internet settings or firewall" im not positive that was the exact message but mabey you get the gist of it. so what are my options? is steam currently down? ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam several times, and that wont work...same unable to connect message. im able to connect to internet and my windows xp firewall is off. im stumped help please!!!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact steam, they can reset your password and shit if that's not working. i had that problem when steam went down last month.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Steam since its launch has been pretty gravy overall. I was even able to play HL2 about 30-40 minutes after the midnight launch, although I recall there being quite an uproar and people having to contact Valve and such. With any new online service I just assume that things will eventually buckle under the server load at some point until accommodations are made. Well, Steam wasn't exactly new then anyway, but considering HL2 was really the first major launch on it it might as well have been.

I've never had issues with moving my games from one computer to the next, and by that I mean completely redownloading them every time.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I walked into Steam in the era of sweet, sweet glitch-free ease. I've never had any trouble with Steam at all, either with store-bought games (HL2), pre-loaded games (HL2:E1), downloaded games (The Ship), anything. Even when my Wiindows profile exploded and I needed to reinstall, I simply reinstalled Steam and it found all my old .gcf files where they should have been, checked them against my account and gave me the big thumbs-up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: