The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JLPT Study Materials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: JLPT Study Materials Reply with quote

Okay, so I know at least Lestrade has taken the JLPT, and I thought there were a few others here as well who had taken the exam.

I'm looking at picking up a study guide or two; what do people recommend for the Level 3 test? Really good Level 2 materials are welcome as well, so I can get a head start, but the main focus is Lv. 3. Thanks!
Redeye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, so...
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry I didn't bother to define the acronym.

Then again, I suppose the people who know what it stands for would be most in the position to help out, but that wasn't my initial line of reasoning and would really make me sound like an ass if it were: "If you get what I'm talking about, then it's cool, you can help me."
Bulkor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unicom's "Jitsuryoku Appu! Nihongo nouryokushiken" books worked pretty well for me, although I don't know how they are for level 3.

Isn't the test in December? Are you just crazily on the ball?
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll look into that series!

And yeah, the test is in December with registration starting sometime in the summer; I'm not so much on the ball as I am trying to make a very accurate assessment of my grasp of the language. I want to figure out if I'm getting to the level where I could seriously approach one of the tests and if not, then estimate if I WOULD be ready by registration at my current rate of progression. So it's all pretty up in the air right now.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, taking that test is a waste of time...though I don't understand much.

Also, I think Chris has been around long enough to deserve a custom title.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to see what my tutor used and what my teacher taught from. My tutor used a book that she got in Japan, though it was obviously geared towards non-Japanese speakers. My teacher used something like "Let's Fucking Pass the JLPT, Yo!" but I'll get a confirmation.

Good on you for studying early. You can never be prepared enough! How are you with kanji?

I won't even get my test results until the end of February. My guess is that all the tests were sent on little bamboo sailboats, emblazoned with the official seal, and the results will be sent back likewise. What other reason could there be for waiting three months for test results in 2007?
Sushi d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to know if there is a good book along the lines of "Everything that you need to know about the JLPT to pass it"

i've been studying off and on all on my own and last year i managed to play through 'mother 3' with the help of a good dictionary. i still can't read kanji though (i'm working on that!). i've been wanting to try out those exams for quite a while but i dont know what level of materials i will be tested on. so i want a book like that to help me plan what i'm supposed to learn so i can at the least pass the exam..

or something like that.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this discussion makes me wish I had the mental capacity to remember more than six hiragana/katakana symbols (let alone 2000 kanji).
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I'll try to see what my tutor used and what my teacher taught from. My tutor used a book that she got in Japan, though it was obviously geared towards non-Japanese speakers. My teacher used something like "Let's Fucking Pass the JLPT, Yo!" but I'll get a confirmation.

Good on you for studying early. You can never be prepared enough! How are you with kanji?

I won't even get my test results until the end of February. My guess is that all the tests were sent on little bamboo sailboats, emblazoned with the official seal, and the results will be sent back likewise. What other reason could there be for waiting three months for test results in 2007?

It's really bizarre--I can't imagine WHY this test would be geared towards native speakers, but at the same time it seems like the materials are only printed in Japan! Does it always work like this? Are materials for the TOEFL test only printed in the US, England, or other English-speaking countries?

Regardless, I think if I had study prep materials called "Let's Fucking Pass the JLPT, Yo!" there's no way I could lose. Kanji is probably my weakest point right now, although by the time I'm finished with classes this spring, I ought to have the 500 kanji that comprise levels 3 and 4 memorized. My main bit of uncertainty lies in the grammar and vocab--I've got a pretty extensive base for grammar and am catching up on the vocab, but it would just be nice if there were a similar point of reference like there is with the kanji: "here's exactly what you should know."

And good luck waiting for those results--be sure to let us know when they come in!

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Man, this discussion makes me wish I had the mental capacity to remember more than six hiragana/katakana symbols (let alone 2000 kanji).

When I started taking Japanese and learning hiragana, I was absolutely floored. How the hell did they expect me to learn 46 of these characters, 46 of another set, and thousands of kanji? It took a bit of dedicated memorization, but hiragana and katakana weren't nearly as difficult as I expected them to be. Plus, I showed them and memorized 48 characters instead of the regularly used 46! Okay, so that has no practical use, but I felt special.
Kanji is a lot more hit-and-miss, at least for me. Some characters I can memorize quite easily, and others just look like... well, all the others they look like.

Sergei: I'm not sure about a waste of time; from what I've heard, the test is one of the main considerations for getting a job in Japan; if you can pass level 2 you're considered quite hireable. Interestingly enough, I've heard level 1 described as fairly useless and even pedantic from various people I've talked to, both victims of the test and native Japanese. Guess there is such a thing as "good enough."
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see then. It's just...there seems to be a fair amount of derision of this test from many sources, so I generally assumed that it was quite useless.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSL, I'll try to scan some of my kanji lists this week. I actually didn't get all 300 memorized for my test, but luckily about 90% of what I did know was actually on the exam. My tutor gave me these sheets and told me to focus on the kanji there, so maybe that will help you.

Kanji is a strong point of mine, and I figure it's because I draw. I have a good visual and motor memory—i.e., if I draw Samus once, chances are I'll always remember how to do so thereafter. Kanji is similar, and since they're just pictures, I can make up little stories in my head to remember them.

One good example: the verb "hakobu" (運ぶ), which means, "to transport," is really just a car with a lid on it sitting on a boat. :-) I see the car on the boat, and I know somebody in North America just bought a Toyota, and that shit's being transported.

Also, having a wife who's Chinese helps. A lot!

My weakest point is vocabulary, because I can't memorize things without context. I need to have verbal, audio, and motor cues to jog my brain into remembering that a closet is "oshiire" (押し入れ).
Bulkor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: the test being a waste of time, yes and no. From personal experience, level 1 does not equal fluency, and it's not enough by itself to get you jobs involving Japanese, although it does help. If you're outside a classroom setting, though, the JLPT is a great way to motivate yourself to study. Plus, the sample sentences are a hoot.

The legitimate reason to scoff at the JLPT is that there's no writing or speaking involved, and you are gonna have to do those sometimes. I imagine the actual reason people scoff at it is just to be punks, however.

As a side note, how do you get Japanese text to show up on this thing?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor, I don't know what browser/OS you're using, but see if there are any Text-Encoding options in your menus. In FireFox/Mac OS X, the best thing to do is, under View > Character Encoding, go to Auto-Detect and choose Japanese.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlous (not Lestrade) wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:

When I started taking Japanese and learning hiragana, I was absolutely floored. How the hell did they expect me to learn 46 of these characters, 46 of another set, and thousands of kanji? It took a bit of dedicated memorization, but hiragana and katakana weren't nearly as difficult as I expected them to be. Plus, I showed them and memorized 48 characters instead of the regularly used 46! Okay, so that has no practical use, but I felt special.
Kanji is a lot more hit-and-miss, at least for me. Some characters I can memorize quite easily, and others just look like... well, all the others they look like.

Okay maybe six is an understatement, but I am constantly using the wikipedia katakana and hiragana pages because I forget some of the symbols. Also for me, having never actually studied any of this, it's more that I can recognize (or read) symbols but I doubt I'd be able to write them. I know some Kanji too (愛恋嵐) although that's mostly from watching a lot of japanese TV without subtitles.

While I am pretty sure if I actually tried I could learn all the kana, I seriously don't think I could ever memorize more than 100 kanji unless I was using it constantly.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I didn't say any of those things you quoted there!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, you didn't! Sorry for the misquote!
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei: As Bulkor was getting at, its almost like any other certification test, really: TOEFL, A+, MCSE, etc. etc. in that passing it doesn't necessarily equal competence and conversely, not passing doesn't mean you have no grasp of the material. But it is one of those quantifiable things you can show people that says, "See? I know (some) of the language!"

...Come to think about it, that sounds a lot like a college degree...

Lestrade: Thanks for the offer of help with the kanji; I'd really appreciate it but there's no hurry whatsoever.
My vocabulary is pretty bad, but for some reason learning the kanji is really helping a lot. I used to think that learning vocab in hiragana and then moving to kanji seemed needlessly difficult, but once I started to run into words spelled the same, knowing the different kanji became a total lifesaver. I'm having an easier time picking up vocab with the kanji now--like you, I try to use mnemonics whenever possible (安い--a woman who never leaves the house is quite inexpensive, as suggested by my classmate). The kanji textbooks that I'm using tend to group each chapter by an important radical or two, which is also quite helpful in picking out the general meaning for unfamiliar kanji.

But I totally agree on the context thing. My brain works in very funny ways with regard to what information it chooses to retain, and I often remember vocabulary through the strangest cues like a snatch of song lyrics, a part in a movie or book, or a conversation with one of my Japanese friends. Unfortunately, I have no real control over what my brain chooses to hang onto, and I'm endlessly frustrated that I can remember things like 安楽死 (euthanasia. One especially humorous and very literal reading is "the cheap, fun death) but can't for the life of me remember things like 'novel' or even 'author', for that matter.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep thinking this thread is about John Darnielle's blog.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who? Enlighten us!

GSL, it sounds like our brains work very similarly. And yeah, I read the kanji for "euthanasia" and caught the literal meaning immediately—kind of creepy!

I enjoy discussing kanji with my wife and comparing their meaning between Japanese and Chinese. My favourite kanji is for "kanai" (家内—sort of formal for "my wife"). "Look!" I say to my wife, when I'm feeling particularly mean. It means "Stay inside the house!" And then I demand she takes her shoes off and gets in the kitchen to make me pie.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude from the Mountain Goats. He runs LPTJ. So you see!

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I received my JLPT results the other day, and I...

totally failed. :-(

By one and a half percent! Oh fuck me I suck! Well, that's the last test I ever take.
:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, if you think you had it bad...

My friend, who also took level 3, got exactly 239/400. Sad

Yes, he missed the mark by a QUARTER of a percent.

Being so close to passing means that you would have likely passed given a slightly different selection of questions, though, so don't let it get you too down. There's always next year.

On the topic of study materials, I borrowed the "実力アップ!" combined level 1 / level 2 book/tape set for the 2005 test and the level 1-only set for the 2006 test, and... well, in both cases they just sort of sat there unperused for the entire loan period. The advantage of them is that they're extremely detailed and give examples of what the most common mistakes are for each grammar form. Every chapter is ended off with a few pages of questions (multiple-choice questions in the same style as the ones that will appear on the actual test). The disadvantage for me was that it was almost too detailed, and I could never get through more than a handful of pages before putting the book down from my head hurting trying to digest it all.

Consequently, if you're only looking to pass the test, you may want to look into getting some materials that are a bit more concise. However, I do believe that going through the entire books in this series will improve your Japanese significantly on a more practical level, so it's still worthwhile.

Last edited by RedLightning on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Well, I received my JLPT results the other day, and I...

totally failed.

so what, you're not allowed to speak japanese any more?
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. :-(

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, RedLightening. I think the most disheartening thing was that prior to the test I was writing practice exams, and I passed those.

I know I'm a terrible student; I have a hard time focusing. I personally blame videogames (and I'm quite serious!).
aerisdead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll make it, man. Just don't give up like I have (mostly.)

I'm going to start classes again soon, though. I know you do yours on a Saturday morning, but I'm not sure I can roll with that...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
You'll make it, man. Just don't give up like I have (mostly.)

I'm going to start classes again soon, though. I know you do yours on a Saturday morning, but I'm not sure I can roll with that...

Naw, see, I graduated from Da Clizzass about six months ago. I only meet with my tutor now, which is every two weeks, on either a Tuesday or Thursday.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!

It was the kind of class that you "graduate"?

I just want to do something once a week that'll keep my JP ticking over, instead of degrading. I was roughly JLPT3 level without taking the test but it's all fell out of my head, so I'm probably roughly JLPT4 again.

So not sure what kind of class or what I would take, anyway.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done got schooled here, Aerisdead. The course contains seven levels (like Hell!), so I "graduated" because I completed level seven.

That's what my tutor is for—maintenance. It's waaaay too easy to forget, innit?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

sorry man. You're better than I am if that makes you feel any better.

probably not though

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe you should ask other folks for translations from now on...
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
By one and a half percent! Oh fuck me I suck! Well, that's the last test I ever take.
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Wow, that's reallly lousy luck! It's kindof like how I missed getting 100% on a recent grammar quiz by writing に instead of の, only this was just a weekly quiz and yours was a fairly important certification exam. But still, don't give up! You were that close to passing, keep up the studying and try again this year! I'm definitely going to register this year to take the test, so we can commiserate on our... uh, misery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: