The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OBJECTION to come again
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: OBJECTION to come again Reply with quote

So it's almost time for the next Phoenix Wright game to be coming out/is already out and I'm just confused about the ship date. Did anyone preorder it and get the little finger stylus?

So in my experience of playing the game the first game, it seems shouting "OBJECTION" doesn't always pick up on the DS's microphone as well as I'd like it to. This always bothered me so I usually just played the game with the buttons instead of the stylus + mic. However, my friends would always settle this problem by shouting random things into the mic besides "objection." One thing my friend used to do, which would always confuse me but always register on the DS for some reason, was to shout "HEY, JON!" I'd always turn around and be like, "wait, what?" and then they'd point to the DS. Sometimes, just pressing the mic button and talking into the DS as if it was a friend/lover would set off an OBJECTION too.

What are your winning words that can tickle Phoenix's heart and make him shout a glorious "OBJECTION"?

(Also, I always liked how appropriate the American voice actors sounded, especially for Edgeworth and that newbie-destroying bald lawyer guy you play in the first case.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used "YOU'RE A FUCKING LIAR!!!" successfully

I preordered the US version but yarred the JAP version so I could play it early. There wasn't anything that got me quite as worked up in Justice for all as in the first game.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy and i split the cost of the japanese version. maybe someday i'll get to play it?
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Maya Fey is good on any day in my book. That last case drove me nuts without Maya ;_;

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the forensic scientist girl more than Maya. She's a lot cuter IMO and a bit more helpful.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
andy and i split the cost of the japanese version. maybe someday i'll get to play it?

Didn't you just get a homebrew-enabling device for the DS recently?

Maya's whole meat-fetish kind of offends my vegan sensibilities.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon said my copy of this game wouldn't ship until late next week so I picked it up at Best Buy today on my way home from work.

Of course I come home to find another email from Amazon saying they shipped my copy today ;_;
Kipple

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music is a huge disappointment so far, considering the music in the first DS iteration was beyond fantastic...

A friend reminds me "well, so it goes with Capcom." Like the Megaman series I suppose.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipple wrote:
A friend reminds me "well, so it goes with Capcom." Like the Megaman series I suppose.

I can't wait until Phoenix gets several power ups to his pointing finger from defeated boss masters so that his objections will do critical damage to his opponents!

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the first case this morning (and was an hour late to work, heh). Good shit! It kinda makes me want to come up with an idea for a text adventurish game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew "mister" toups is mailing me our copy of the japanese version today. hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipple wrote:
The music is a huge disappointment so far, considering the music in the first DS iteration was beyond fantastic...

DEFINITELY!

I was playing this in december and stopped after the second case because I kind of didn't care anymore. SHIT my preordered legit copy just shipped. Um, anyone want it?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
I was playing this in december and stopped after the second case because I kind of didn't care anymore.

me too! but i'm playing the third case now, to celebrate the NA release, and i may yet finish it!
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an imported copy from my local indie games store as a Christmas present for my mum. Because she liked the first game so much, and so would never expect it.I also got her a Myst compilation for the PC. Problem is, she is worrying what adventure games are coming out after Pheonix Wright 1-2 and Another Code. Well, there is Hotel Dusk (which I'll probably pick up on import if I see it.).
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Blue?

There's also Dreamfall on the Xbox and PC which is new-ish.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've posted my impressions of this game elsewhere. But basically it's nowhere near as good as the first one is and weak in ways in which that game is strong. Though they did a very good job writing a new cast of very appealing characters and scenarios, the writing of the actual cases is nowhere near as tight and you will constantly find yourself figuring things out way before you're "supposed" to only to realize that the correct solution is something that's totally counterintuitive and barely makes sense. I eventually had to resort to gamefaqs because the third case was a trainwreck of good ideas gone bad. A big part of the problem is that the localization is nowhere near as polished and some oddly phrased prompts and cues will mislead you into choosing the wrong type of evidence.

It's still entertaining but I can't recommend it as strongly as the first game. If you're a fan of the series, the characters, and all that, then it's worth picking up just to see the continued adventures of phoenix wright and company, but be prepared for a much more arbitrarily frustrating game.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
A big part of the problem is that the localization is nowhere near as polished and some oddly phrased prompts and cues will mislead you into choosing the wrong type of evidence.

I'm wondering if they might have cleaned this up for the localized version. It would certainly make sense given the delay in its release. Anyone know?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
A big part of the problem is that the localization is nowhere near as polished and some oddly phrased prompts and cues will mislead you into choosing the wrong type of evidence.

I'm wondering if they might have cleaned this up for the localized version. It would certainly make sense given the delay in its release. Anyone know?

-Wes

If they did I will be >:( and :( and a little :?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
If they did I will be >Sad and Sad and a little Confused

You'd be happier if the game sucked?

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not betting the localized version is any better. It takes six months or more to remove that Japanese language option you know!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
SHIT my preordered legit copy just shipped. Um, anyone want it?

Sure!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the characters has a whip, so that makes it at least an okay game. (better than any recent castlevania, anyway.)

i'm actually really anticipating hotel dusk despite (or probably because of) knowing very little about it, and not having played trace memory. adventure games always end up disappointing me. at least i should have a flash card by then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
one of the characters has a whip, so that makes it at least an okay game. (better than any recent castlevania, anyway.)

von karma is what kept me going through those dark lonely hours
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, Pearly is incredibly cute.
I like how she ran all the way to court from her hometown. :D

dongle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on some people unpacking the ROMs and comparing the files and other people replaying the game, the translation was not fixed for the US release :/
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
I bought an imported copy from my local indie games store as a Christmas present for my mum. Because she liked the first game so much, and so would never expect it.I also got her a Myst compilation for the PC. Problem is, she is worrying what adventure games are coming out after Pheonix Wright 1-2 and Another Code. Well, there is Hotel Dusk (which I'll probably pick up on import if I see it.).

Touch Detective has been out here in the states for a bit, but I don't know anyone who has played that.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little I've played, it's pretty cute. I hear there's terrible adventure game itemitis in it though.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the end of case 3 and I'm very disappointed at the severe lack of Edgeworthiness in this game.

dongle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Touch Detective has been out here in the states for a bit, but I don't know anyone who has played that.

That game had promise and charm but it is extremely bland and boring. Copious amounts of non-descript dialogue.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I'm at the end of case 3 and I'm very disappointed at the severe lack of Edgeworthiness in this game.

Case 4 makes up for it in spades, friend!

In fact, I would go so far as to say that Case 4 makes up for the rest of the game. Case 4 is pretty much the game the designers actually wanted to make. I'm undecided about whether it's as good as the best moments in the original, but it definitely aims high and achieves a lot of what it's going for.

I would go into more detail, but holy SHIT spoilers.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Persona-sama wrote:

Case 4 makes up for it in spades, friend!

In fact, I would go so far as to say that Case 4 makes up for the rest of the game. Case 4 is pretty much the game the designers actually wanted to make. I'm undecided about whether it's as good as the best moments in the original, but it definitely aims high and achieves a lot of what it's going for.

I would go into more detail, but holy SHIT spoilers.

Man don't say that, that's where I gave up Sad
internisus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god for the reassurance about case 4. I'm halfway through 3 now and this game is really disappointing. I just replayed through the original in preparation, so the contrast in quality is breaking my heart. The amnesia worked for me in the first case, and Pearls is a delight, but everything else is so... sigh. I really hope case 4 redeems the game for me.

Hotel Dusk should be waiting for me when I get home today, so I'm not sure whether to continue with PW2 right now. That's really sad for me to say.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, yeah, Nana/Nick/(Dick)Gumshoe banter makes me smile as much as ever, but I feel much more frustrated and much less touched than I did on even my third time through the first game.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Man don't say that, that's where I gave up Sad

Well, if it's any consolation, I think I probably have a high tolerance to adventure game bullshit, and no shame about hitting up GameFAQs when I'm stuck. It's just so much more ambitious than the first three cases that I can forgive its flaws.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished case 3 (mind you, i imported the jp release way back when, it's just taken me awhile)... becoming more and more disenchanted with this as i go.

should i locate and play the first game before case 4? because i never have, and, well, the general consensus in this topic seems to be that i should.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I mean, yeah, Nana/Nick/(Dick)Gumshoe banter makes me smile as much as ever, but I feel much more frustrated and much less touched than I did on even my third time through the first game.

I think you mean "Maya"
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recommending "freudian slop" for internisus's custom title.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
no shame about hitting up GameFAQs when I'm stuck.

I was able to complete PW1 without looking at a FAQ once. In PW2, however, in the first two cases I got stuck probably a half dozen times, and was frustrated when I saw the actual answers. It's not that PW1 was easier; rather, it was easier to express oneself in PW1. In most of the times I've been stuck in PW2 it's because I wasn't saying what I was trying to say correctly (that is, presenting the right items at the wrong times or not knowing how to express things with the given evidence), rather than lacking an idea of what is going on.
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can no longer think of Nana and Maya as two different people.

I had to stop playing last night to get angry at the president, but before that I was going through the court thing with Acro and it was so incredibly stupid that I got angry earlier in the evening than I had planned to. This is the first case where I've found myself shouting at the DS about how absurdly unfounded it was when Pheonix accused someone of murder. Every argument on both sides of this trial is ridiculous, and not in a comedic manner. I was able to take the cases in the first game seriously, and even the really complex murders made sense and were thus great to unravel. This, though, this is terrible.

To make matters worse, Hotel Dusk won't be coming until Monday. What is it with this game? No one intends to carry it, so I ordered it from Amazon. It was supposed to ship Monday for Tuesday, but now I have to wait a week. Major distribution problems here.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acro is the worst part of the game.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I can no longer think of Nana and Maya as two different people.

Well jeez Nick, what you my sister say about your attitude at a time like this?!?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Come on Nick, I know you can find a contradiction somewhere in that ridiculous testimony! Think!

internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, the first thing Mia ever taught me was the importance of believing in your client, so

You're off to a good start, Pheonix!

is what she would say. Probably.

Ooh Hotel Dusk shipped it's coming tomorrow

WHOOOOOOOOP!!!!!

I feel foolish.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
You're off to a good start, Pheonix!

internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!! M-Mia?! You were there this whole time??
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Would you like more coffee with your pancakes, sir?

internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please and thank you!

...where am I?
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth case is really good so far! Thank goodness!
internisus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the game. Case 4 was really great; it put me in an interesting and rather adult position that I never thought the series would try to explore. And, as always, Edgeworth and Wright's relationship was wonderful. I did find myself getting quite tired of the gameplay, though. I am not sure if it's because I simply played too much PW all week or if there's a good reason for it. It was a great case anyway.

I started Hotel Dusk briefly, just to see what it was like. It's very exciting! I'm looking forward to my weekend quite a bit now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: