The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zelda: feasting on the remains, as it were (SPOILERS galore)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Zelda: feasting on the remains, as it were (SPOILERS galore) Reply with quote

So, I finished Zelda. It was pretty much a full time job for the past week. Took me about 45 hours. Is anyone else ready to discuss the game from this perspective?

I'm going to start with some of my impressions, but feel free to ignore them and jump in with your own.

Obviously this thread will be full of spoilers. All Zelda games are in-bounds for spoiler-ridden discussion, so we can talk about how TP fits in to the series.

Last edited by david on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
david

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are various impressions and comments. Again, spoilers below.

First of all, I'm floored by the level of aesthetic polish. It's a little uneven, i.e. some areas look slightly bland, but where the game shines, it really shines. Hyrule is bigger and grander than ever, almost to an intimidating extent. Nintendo upped the ante such that an experienced player can feel the impact of "really being there" all over again.

Also, the game is not annoying! Amazing, considering how perfunctory and cloying Wind Waker's tasks became.

The new weapons are amazing, especially the ball and chain and the spinner. I dig the straightforward names -- reminds me of the first game.

The remote is excellent for aiming and menu selection, and I like the comfort of having it in two pieces. In the end, I have to say sword fighting is compromised, but it's not terrible. Swinging the remote is novel, and seems to work consistently, but at the same time isn't totally reliable... or maybe I should say, it takes more sensitivity and care to use. Sometimes my gesture isn't abrupt enough, and produces no result, and I have to swing again. It's a little thing, but after 45 hours with the game, it still happens, so that slightly damages my feeling of connection. The controls are a little more problematic in difficult fights, like some of the darknut battles in Hyrule Castle near the end. When I'm anxious during a tough fight, I can't help swinging a little less patiently, and somehow the lack of result from my mistimed moves feels more glaring than a lack of response to a button. On the other hand, making that kind of gesture helps physical emphathy with Link, and it is satisfying to bash monsters that way. It was a good approach to try, but I'd feel mixed about it being used as is in future games.

As for the story, I'm still kind of thinking it through, but it felt undeveloped in the latter part of the game. There was stuff suggested early on that never came to fruition. For example, Link could have been way more interesting. There were indications early in the story that some dark depths would be delved, vis-a-vis Link, e.g. his power and not-fitting-in-ness. It was quite clever to start him off as a simple and well-liked farm hand, and then to return him to his village as a wolf, saddled with new responsibilities and worries of which he can tell no one, skulking around in the shadows of his home. At one point Midna called him a "lonely hero." Tthe human/wolf thing was really working, story-wise. Link is a dashing hero who everyone likes, but he carries burdens and knows darkness that other people can't undestand. It's quite 21st century and makes him a more interesting figure. There was further suggestion in this direction when Midna says, at several points, that their quest might unleash something terrible, or that the power they're trying to assemble could lead to evil. There's that story scene with Link and Ilia losing their pupils and turning against each other, suggesting that even the most pure person can submit to negative emotions. Okay, but it never really goes anywhere, does it? In fact, it's minimized: Wolf Link eventually becomes just another "item," used for warping, finding Poe's Souls, and tracking scents.

More broadly, there were a lot of indications -- many external to the game -- suggesting that TP would fit in much more with the big series timeline. Aonuma said it takes place a few decades after Ocarina, and presumably about 70 years before Wind Waker. So where's the flood? Where's anything that would help it run into Wind Waker? Of course TP lavishly, worshipfully references Ocarina of Time, but doesn't really connect to it, plot-wise. We learn half way through that Ganon was sealed in the Twilight Realm... so, that was a different occasion than when he was sealed in the Sacred Realm in Ocarina? Did that happen sometime between Ocarina and Twilight Princess? How did he get out of the Sacred Realm to begin with? Why didn't the story deal with that? And I'm not even sure I caught what happens at the end. Is Ganon dead? Is he left standing in Hyrule Field? Does Zant's suicide mean that Ganon's power has no vehicle any more? But he wasn't operating through Zant at the end, since escaping the Twilight Realm...

One intriguing connection between TP and Wind Waker is the design of the Twilight Realm. I noticed this months back, looking at Midna's helmet, the grey with blue linear designs pulsing through it. That aesthetic looks very much like some areas in Wind Waker, in particular the top chamber of the Tower of the Gods.

You know, I really thought the Twilight Realm was going to overwhelm Hyrule... Remember that in the early screenshots, the Twilight was black and white, just like the submerged Hyrule in WW before Link pulls the Master Sword from its pedestal. That Hyrule was frozen in time, just like a world where it's always Twilight.

For a game which is supposedly the last Zelda of its kind, and obviously a tribute to the past games, it's curious and disappointing that it didn't do more to pull the story together. And how long is the split timeline theory going to exist without any reason? Aonuma confirmed that Hyrule's timeline split after Ocarina, but so far there's absolutely no point to this. It's just a meaningless and confusing bit of trivia. How far-reaching is his vision for the series? When is something like that going to matter? The timeline is something I never used to care about, until Wind Waker indicated that it was going to matter. Why introduce such complexities and connections and then not really play on them?

Ever since Ocarina, the Zelda stories have gotten pretty silly and confused. The stories are grand and biblical, but without thematic resonance. For example, The Wind Waker presented a world where the people had been scattered, their old kingdom destroyed. That's potentially a very strong theme for the game. But the people you meet seem quite content on their little islands, and as Link sails around, the predominant mood is high adventure (or bordom), not awe at the emptiness and raw landscape the world has reverted to since the apolcalyptic flood.

Link to the Past worked because its dominant theme -- a world parallel to Hyrule, reflecting the nature of its master -- was comprehensively fleshed out and utilized by the game design. Ocarina was about time travel, but mainly this just meant that Link skipped 10 years of his life. The two time periods were hardly differentiated, except for Hyrule Castle Town. The Zelda game that really dealt with time -- syncronicity, "time running out," the repetition of daily life and its nobility in the face of impending destruction -- was Majora's Mask.

So anyway. This old timer feels a bit left behind by the silly plots and epic gestures without follow-through. When plot twists and mythology exist for their own sake, for obsessive cataloging of minutia, or to fuel contortionist continuity theories, they cease to have power as human stories.

Also:

Is there a way to repair Eldin Bridge?

And:

I never found the third tunic...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to post my impressions that I put up on Sat night after finishing the game, then I'll get into a discussion on your points (some of which I may have some insight to).

This has pretty much no spoilers:

I just finished Twilight Princess, and it was in just shy of 40 hours, a few hours of which I am sure the game was paused for. I will say that I was not expecting much going into the game, I haven't finished a Zelda game since Link's Awakening, nor have I enjoyed them (esp. the 3D games). I am tired of either crappy or weak motivation, a lot of time filled with collect-a-thons, too much talking about things I don't care about, and a feeling like the game is shitting on my memories of the original game.

I had nearly none of these problems with the game. In fact, if I had to list problems with the game it would be small. Hell, I'll do it anyways. There is no camera control for the Wii version which makes certain things way more irritating than they should be, but most of the time it was bearable. It took me a while to get use to the fact that you now waggle a controller. Every time you load the game it thinks you forgot the value of the rupies, so it re-tells you those once each. That's it.

The pacing is really excellent in the game. The set pieces are outstanding. The game is hold-your-hand light (it makes Okami seem even worse and more bloated). The dungeon design is fantastic. The story is good and very forward thinking for the "world of Zelda" as it has progressed through Zelda->Zelda 2->Link's Awakening, as in it never feels like they had to rely on nostalgia or revisiting certain things. The least original part of the game is the first dungeon, but you will forget about that half way through it. Doing things in the Twilight Realm, then going back to the normal realm you don't have to really do anything in those levels, so it's not as if the game has been given the TR just to falsely extend the game.

This game is probably the closest game to a "perfect game" I have played in a long time. It also has some of the best pacing in a game this long ever. The motivation is appropriate as well.

So, don't get your hopes up too high: this isn't the Zelda you've been waiting for that is just like Zelda (or any others since). This game is how the series should progress into 3D, and I finally feel like there is a fourth Zelda game in the series worth noting to others.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As originally posted, this may contain spoilers you don’t want to read:
Quote:
As for the story, I'm still kind of thinking it through, but it felt undeveloped in the latter part of the game. There was stuff suggested early on that never came to fruition. For example, Link could have been way more interesting. There were indications early in the story that some dark depths would be delved, vis-a-vis Link, e.g. his power and not-fitting-in-ness. It was quite clever to start him off as a simple and well-liked farm hand, and then to return him to his village as a wolf, saddled with new responsibilities and worries of which he can tell no one, skulking around in the shadows of his home. At one point Midna called him a "lonely hero." Tthe human/wolf thing was really working, story-wise. Link is a dashing hero who everyone likes, but he carries burdens and knows darkness that other people can't undestand. It's quite 21st century and makes him a more interesting figure. There was further suggestion in this direction when Midna says, at several points, that their quest might unleash something terrible, or that the power they're trying to assemble could lead to evil. There's that story scene with Link and Ilia losing their pupils and turning against each other, suggesting that even the most pure person can submit to negative emotions. Okay, but it never really goes anywhere, does it? In fact, it's minimized: Wolf Link eventually becomes just another "item," used for warping, finding Poe's Souls, and tracking scents.

You may consider this a cop out, but Link isn’t supposed to be interesting. He’s supposed to be a blank slate for you to paint yourself onto. In fact, the less interesting he is the better. Basically I think they give you the perfect motivation for the first half of the game, and then they drop you off the deep end and hope they have given you enough direction and motivation to keep going. It works perfectly too.

Also, about possibly leading to evil: it does. Don’t you remember what happens when Zant has all the fused shadows? I think what you got was exactly what they were trying to portray: deception. My opinion of a lot of what Midna says in the game’s first half is to make you uncomfortable about her motives (as it seems to have) which is exactly what you need to be doing by the turning point about half way (with Zelda). If you’re blindly trusting Midna (well internally, I mean, you can’t do anything in the game if you don’t trust her, you’ll never progress the story) then the large cut-scene turning point wouldn’t have any meaning.

Link and Ilia: Well, she does lose her memory. And here I think you may be reading a little too much into … or not enough. Ganon is not fully explained, nor is it stated why he was looked upon highly enough by the goddesses to get the triforce seal of approval. Ganon was the original “hero” which the garb/sword/everything is from. Alternatively the light gods could have just used the closest thing to the receiver of the story and his life then removed the pupils to show how anonymous a human can be in the grand scheme of things. I think it works better as a bit of a mystery, and I have said this about many games. Silent Hill does it well also by allowing you to draw your own interpretations of what is being told.

I don’t get how you draw the connection between the wolf and evil, or how that it’s minimized by becoming an item. Really, at the point that it becomes an item they symbolic measure of gaining contol over the twilight realm and Zant is pretty special. You feel empowered. Now what it means as a game mechanic is effectively an item, but it’s something you control. So later, when Zant can still turn you back into a wolf then you can turn yourself back it’s like having the power to over-ride Zant (talking about the Twilight Dungeon here). Anyways, I think that it does a lot symbolicly, but not that it was ever “wolf=evil” more like “wolf=no control.”

Quote:
More broadly, there were a lot of indications -- many external to the game -- suggesting that TP would fit in much more with the big series timeline. Aonuma said it takes place a few decades after Ocarina, and presumably about 70 years before Wind Waker. So where's the flood? Where's anything that would help it run into Wind Waker? Of course TP lavishly, worshipfully references Ocarina of Time, but doesn't really connect to it, plot-wise. We learn half way through that Ganon was sealed in the Twilight Realm... so, that was a different occasion than when he was sealed in the Sacred Realm in Ocarina? Did that happen sometime between Ocarina and Twilight Princess? How did he get out of the Sacred Realm to begin with? Why didn't the story deal with that? And I'm not even sure I caught what happens at the end. Is Ganon dead? Is he left standing in Hyrule Field? Does Zant's suicide mean that Ganon's power has no vehicle any more? But he wasn't operating through Zant at the end, since escaping the Twilight Realm...

Can you pull up this quote? I have read many, many times over that each Zelda game is not connected in anyway to one another. More like the games are all religions as seen through different cultures eyes: they all contain the main elements of a “Zelda” game (like religions have gods/worship/rules) but they do not connect directly in anyway, they just influence one another. So I don’t think there’s any reason to attempt to connect these.

Quote:
For a game which is supposedly the last Zelda of its kind, and obviously a tribute to the past games, it's curious and disappointing that it didn't do more to pull the story together. And how long is the split timeline theory going to exist without any reason? Aonuma confirmed that Hyrule's timeline split after Ocarina, but so far there's absolutely no point to this. It's just a meaningless and confusing bit of trivia. How far-reaching is his vision for the series? When is something like that going to matter? The timeline is something I never used to care about, until Wind Waker indicated that it was going to matter. Why introduce such complexities and connections and then not really play on them?

The timeline issue I talk about above. Seriously, every attempt I have ever seen of people trying to make the Zelda games into a canon timeline is a joke. Just let it be. Time doesn’t matter in these games.

Quote:
So anyway. This old timer feels a bit left behind by the silly plots and epic gestures without follow-through. When plot twists and mythology exist for their own sake, for obsessive cataloging of minutia, or to fuel contortionist continuity theories, they cease to have power as human stories.

Also:

Is there a way to repair Eldin Bridge?

And:

I never found the third tunic...

When did you start playing Zelda games? Also, you really need to back that last sentence before “also” up, because I could discuss this at great lengths but it would be a one ended discussion without knowing what you mean.

Are you referring to the west bridge or the north one? Because yes on both accounts.

I never found it either. My guess is that it is at the end of one of the sidequests that involves collecting. . . or perhaps it is in a side dungeon. I have a strong sensation that there is a bonus/hidden dungeon because I kept finding a few awesome side caves in the overworld that were excellent.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
More broadly, there were a lot of indications -- many external to the game -- suggesting that TP would fit in much more with the big series timeline. Aonuma said it takes place a few decades after Ocarina, and presumably about 70 years before Wind Waker. So where's the flood? Where's anything that would help it run into Wind Waker? Of course TP lavishly, worshipfully references Ocarina of Time, but doesn't really connect to it, plot-wise.

Side note about WW making a time line seem important (I never finished it): Wes just reminded me that the DS game is the sequel-ish to WW. Perhaps that's what's going on.

EDIT: Perhaps we should lable the thread as a spoiler thread.

david

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, about possibly leading to evil: it does. Don’t you remember what happens when Zant has all the fused shadows?

Hmm, well I think I'll defer to you here because I probably need to play the game again to pick up on those things. For some reason, I'm not great at following plots...

I wrote:
More broadly, there were a lot of indications -- many external to the game -- suggesting that TP would fit in much more with the big series timeline. Aonuma said it takes place a few decades after Ocarina, and presumably about 70 years before Wind Waker. So where's the flood? Where's anything that would help it run into Wind Waker?

Shapermc wrote:
Can you pull up this quote? I have read many, many times over that each Zelda game is not connected in anyway to one another. More like the games are all religions as seen through different cultures eyes: they all contain the main elements of a “Zelda” game (like religions have gods/worship/rules) but they do not connect directly in anyway, they just influence one another. So I don’t think there’s any reason to attempt to connect these.

I dig what you're saying. I certainly don't approach a story by default with the attitude of wrestling every ambiguity into a logical scheme. The notion that each Zelda is a retelling of the same story suits it as a "legend."

The problem is that there HAVE been indications that the games fit together into a larger timeline. There are references to this in the games (notably Ocarina, WW and TP), but more forceful are Aonuma's statements in interviews. I know I should provide a source, but I couldn't find it just now... Maybe someone else will come up with something? Sorry, I'll try again later.

I wrote:
When plot twists and mythology exist for their own sake, for obsessive cataloging of minutia, or to fuel contortionist continuity theories, they cease to have power as human stories.

Shapermc wrote:
When did you start playing Zelda games? Also, you really need to back that last sentence ... because I could discuss this at great lengths but it would be a one ended discussion without knowing what you mean.

I started with the original. One of my friend's mom's was into it, and I would call her when I got lost. She'd give me directions over the phone, from memory, like, "to find the second dungeon, from the beginning go east three spaces, north two," whatever, etc. The dungeon music was genuinely haunting to me. In general, the world had more mystery because I hadn't figured out the patterns and logic yet. I would go back to dungeons I'd finished, back to the empty boss chamber and the empty triforce chamber, and hang around feeling wistful and haunted. One time I happened upon the lake where dungeon 7 is buried, and mistook it for the fairy screen to the east. I thought the moblin had killed the fairy, and I became enraged.

Where were we...

About the last setence, I was going to elaborate on it, but as I wrote, it seemed really complicated, so I gave up and hoped my point would be understandable. I guess what I mean is that for me to care about anything that happens in a story, it should in some way serve the central theme or drama. What makes a story interesting? This is precipitous philosophical ground, but roughly I'd say it's something about the piece of life it captures and relates. It's like a thesis. Every part of the story should elaborate and support the story's point. If it doesn strengthen the story, it weakens it with dead weight.

You said that every effort you've heard to make sense from the Zelda chronology has been a waste of time. That's what I'm talking about. Those discussions get so far afield from the central point of the game that they're totally extraneous. Yes, we might be able to fill in enough gaps to rationalize how everything neatly fits together, but in doing so we've contructed a framework which simply carries us away from the heart of the story. The minutia are not the point -- if anything, they're the least important part, as evidenced by the apparent carelessness of their arrangement which requires such efforts to make sense of.

So, again, I guess I'm a little annoyed that the Zelda story has gotten mired in those kinds of distracting details. I'd hoped Aonuma would make sense of things, tying things together with this new game, but he didn't.

If each game is discrete, fine. But if they're going to drop hints and create connections, they should follow through.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, you mentioned "motivation" a few times. Could you elaborate on that idea, in the context of Zelda, this Zelda, or other games?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
So, again, I guess I'm a little annoyed that the Zelda story has gotten mired in those kinds of distracting details. I'd hoped Aonuma would make sense of things, tying things together with this new game, but he didn't.

If each game is discrete, fine. But if they're going to drop hints and create connections, they should follow through.

I just want to point to the mess that Castlevania has turned into because of attempting to make sense of things. CV even had a fairly connected timeline before Iga tried to make it into a perfectly fitting one. Zelda doesn't have a timeline, and attempting to connect things with the hints given results in ignoring too many things (as you said).

I just think of these hint drops more as fan service for those paying attention. If you look at my religion comparison then you can see that many religions have things that are dropped in or taken from others, but both the root and the end are meant to be taken as "the word" not as a connection to the original or a branch. If that makes sense.

P.S. to respond to your second comment I will just say that I am planning to write an article on the motivation behind Twilight Princess, though that may fall through because my lack of finishing the last three or four Zelda games, and my hazy recollection of why I stopped. If that falls through I will respond here. Hopefully others will finish the game soon.

david

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out this thread again, Shaper. I was just about to post something that's only for people who've finished the game.

My question is, what do you guys make of the way the game is basically divided in half, and what's going on in the second half? The first half, your mission is to save Hyrule from the Twilight. Much like Majora's Mask, there's a big, wonderous and imposing vision in the overworld to remind you of the kingdom's troubles. Then, after defeating all the insects, Hyrule is restored to its full glory, and you're able to ride around taking in the sights and the nostalgic imagery. Hyrule Castle is trapped in a golden pyramid cube thing, presumably to create a new reminder that there's something to remedy. But besides that, there's really nothing in the world to tell you it needs saving. I mean, the people in Castle Town don't really act very concerned about what's going on in the castle. Maybe there is some chatter about it, but lives are going on as usual. You don't see the army making any attemps to get in... it's just, "hmm, no one can get in the castle. Kind of annoying!" Eventually you find out the castle is pretty empty, though there are plenty of monsters camped out in the gardens. And Ganondorf is just hanging out in the throne room on the top floor, just waiting for you to show up for an Ocarina of Time-style showdown (it's slightly disappointing that he's not playing a giant organ -- one of his hidden talents revealed in OoT).

Granted, OoT and most of the other Zeldas (MM excepted) are like that, with life going on as usual and the boss just waiting somewhere. But TP starts off with a tangible threat. You see people suffering in fear and you see how the world has been affected. With that as a precedent, the second half of the game feels a bit empty and devoid of motivation.

Maybe this is a plot issue more than a gameplay issue, but it's connected insofar as story creates the context and motivation for the player. What is the game saying or making you feel by splitting the game in half and removing the main threat (the shadow of Twilight darkening Hyrule)? Did that work for you?

My own guess is that first off, Aonuma was again following tradition, with an introductory set of dungeons (usually three) leading to a second (usually grander and longer) set. Also, similar to the way WW teases the player with stories and visions of old Hyrule, TP is making the player appreciate the land more by freeing it first -- just like the arrival of green-tunic Link is delayed and glorified by contrast with the lowly (though cool in a different way) wolf form. So Aonuma is using the nostalgia people feel for the classic Zelda scenario as motivation, gradually giving the player more and more until TP becomes the full vision of Zelda-as-told-in-Ocarina, but of course bigger and brassier than ever before.

As for why the second half of the game feels so much less imperiled (when common sense suggests the journey should be getting more dangerous and dramatic), I think that's just a reversion to the old games, where as I said the threat was always tucked away, waiting. There's no precedent for a Zelda game that gets more desperate towards the end.

My gut feeling is that it's just another case of story not being really important to Nintendo. Zelda and Mario are games about fun doohickeys -- boomerangs and water backpacks and animals you can ride -- not about ideas. I think I had this conversation with Toups recently, about how Ueda (SotC) is about getting an idea across, and the game is built up to facilitate that vision. Miyamoto starts from the captivating lively mechanism and creates scenarios from that. (Actually Toups and I agreed that Aonuma has more of a storyteling leaning, as evidenced by Majora's Mask primarily, but it's either less honed than Ueda's, or just subverted by all the baggage of a Zelda game.) I see this difference in priorities all over the place in TP. There are some really interesting story elements suggested early in the game, but they're not really developed. For Miyamoto it's enough to suggest them, just to add some flavor, but he's not letting those story ideas feed back into the gameplay to an extent that would create a harmonious whole.

In particular I'm thinking about a lot of stuff that happens when Link is stalking around the villages as a wolf, and people thinks he's a monster. But when he's a human, people think he's so angelic that they let him off the hook. (The pregnant lady in Ordona sees that Link has Rusl's sword and says, "oh! The monsters stole that sword! But you got it back? That's wonderful, you can keep it if you need it. It always lifts my spirits to see your face," or something equally guilt-ifying. Then there's the way you team up with Midna, a creature of questionable motivations, and of course that freaky cut scene before the Water Temple that shows Link becoming an evil man with no pupils. All this stuff was suggesting a real powerful tension between light and dark, and that Link would have to negotiate that divide very carefully to maintain his goodness. But, as Shaper has pointed out, when Midna is granted Zelda's "spirit" so she can exist in the light, and Link becomes able to transform at will, the player gains a mastery over the twilight. I just think, dramatically speaking, why would that happen so early? There were greater depths to be delved in terms of the light-dark theme, but all that stuff goes away in the second half.

Do you guys see where I'm coming from? Any of this stuff strike you differently?
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
You may consider this a cop out, but Link isn’t supposed to be interesting. He’s supposed to be a blank slate for you to paint yourself onto.

NOT TRUE.

link is a character. he's not given spoken dialogue but there is nevertheless dialogue exchanged between him and the other characters that helps to characterize him. for example, the scene when he returns to ordon village after rescuing all - but one - of the village children, and the mayor asks about his daughter. the camera shows link turned away from the mayor, a somber look on his face. he says nothing, but the mayor understands immediately that his daughter was not among the other children. this is just one example: look at how he relates to the village children, to ilia, and (most crucially) to midna.

the relationship between link and midna (light and shadow) is at the center of the game, and i think what accounts for the change in focus at the game's midpoint. the first half of the game is interested in the forced interaction of the world of light and the world of twilight - the literal overlap of them - whereas the second half (after link and midna both become capable of existing within one another's world) is focused on the interaction of light and shadow within the more personal relationship between link and midna. i might go so far as to say that the story shifts from an epic to a love story.

the race to deliver the dying midna (who until then has always been the stronger of the pair) to zelda - as a haunting, introspective piano tune plays - is perhaps the turning point of the game, and a heartbreaking scene that pretty much cements link and midna's partnership after the struggle and uncertainty of the opening act. link pledges devotion in this scene; he (metaphorically) accepts midna's collar. the game portrays what is essentially a D/s relationship, and for this i admire it. by doing so, in fact, the game completely invalidates rule of rose's sole reason for existance (and makes me wonder if i should update my forthcoming article on it).

when viewed through this dynamic, the ending is heartwrenching in a number of ways. when ganondorf holds midna's headgear up as a trophy prior to the final battle, i wanted to kill the fuck out of him, and indeed what follows is easily the most dire battle of the game. after the battle is ended, link rushes to what appears to be midna's prone form. the way his face lights up when he sees she's alive and returned to her "true" form (to answer her paraphrased question "am i really so beautiful that you're speechless?"), and then, not long after, the gasp of shock and pain and loss when she shatters the mirror, closing their worlds forever from one another for what must be a sense of responsibility to both his world, her own, and to link himself. (there's a sense of love-that-can-never-be, for duty and for more ancient, cosmic reasons.)

it is a moment that is both deeply upsetting and utterly perfect. shortly thereafter, we see link silently leave his village, chasing a yearning that he cannot fulfil there, and utterly alone (earlier, midna phrophetically calls him "lonely hero") - for link has grown to know a darkness and desire that he can neither share with nor explain to any of his former peers, even childhood romance ilia for whom he has sacrificed so much. the shot of her standing alone in the spring is particularly poignant. this is a far more mature story than the zelda series (with the possible exception of link's awakening) has attempted to tell prior (wind waker shows leanings toward and especially at the end, but it is foremost a tale of a child's wonder and fear at leaving home), and i think it's told well and i admire the developers both for attempting to tell and succeeding in telling this kind of story.

zelda, sharing title real estate with midna (though we don't realize this at first), is peripheral to this story and i like that. i wish this game had abandoned more of the baggage that's been weighing the zelda series down, but i do respect the story the game has managed to tell.

(edited for bad grammar.) (twice.) (and again for readability.)

Last edited by dessgeega on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this has actually spurred me to write said article. I guess what I was more trying to say was that Link is a vessel for you to both use as a blank slate when need and an amplifier for your emotions (if the game was successful in capturing them) at critical moments. Not a total and literal blank slate such as Quake Man or anything, but more of a vessel for you to use so that you know your lines.

Anyways, perhaps we should team up on this article Dess.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've read your thoughts on this, I think hmm, maybe I missed the point a little with TP's story. I must say, I wasn't feeling it when I played it. I was moved when Link had to take Midna to see Princess Zelda and I sensed that that was the turning point in their relationship, but I never saw their relationship as being the main drive of the narrative until the game was almost over.

I think maybe the problem was that the story is perhaps misleadingly called 'The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess', and I was so captivated by the image of this lonely Princess held captive in the twilight world I thought that this would be the main focus of the story. So I spent the whole game thinking 'but when are we going hear more about Princess Zelda?' I had no idea that the stuff between Midna, Zant and Link were such important storytelling scenes, and that the game was almost over after the Tron Dungeon. I seriously thought I was about 5 dungeons before the end and I had all the character development with Ganondorf and Zelda yet to come!

Huh.

Well, here's my post moved from the Twilight Princess thread. It's a disjointed, barely literate ramble. I still think this game lacks a clear-cut antagonist, though. Also, Princess Zelda should probably make it clear that she isn't interested in Link a few times during the game so people like me don't get confused.

I wrote:
Ok, I finished it. I'm thinking my thread title was correct in the first place. Here is a rant in which I talk a lot about story and aesthetics and not at all about gameplay, so a lot of you will say I'm missing the point, I'm sure!

First off, from a storytelling point of view that was bunk. How are we supposed to care about Princess Zelda and Ganondorf when we've met them a total of 1 times each throughout the game? Yet they both figure majorly in the outcome of the story. The result is a whole load of character interaction and storytelling scenes we care nothing about. And you know what? I don't think it would make any difference to those schlubs in Castle Town even if Ganon did turn the world to shadow. It certainly didn't the last time their province was in Twilight. Even a gigantic diamond forcefield over the castle and their Princess cut off from them couldn't dampen their spirits. At least in Ocarina we had the ruined, Zombie-filled castle town of the future to show us what was at stake. What do we get in this? Even when the world was all twilight and they were all ghosts, those schmucks were as happy as clams. Fuck 'em! Who cares if Link saves the world? Not them!

Also, Midna displays none of the character traits that endeared her to us after her transformation, which is a bait-and-switch almost worse than the end of Beneath A Steel Sky. And let's have some narrative focus, please. Link is up to his neck in evil kings and half-baked love interests in this game.

Speaking of Link, even Wind Waker's Link seemed to be a changed person by the end of the game. Look at his face in the cut-scenes, you can see a new maturity in him by the time he fights Ganondorf. Not this schmoe. He's my least favorite Link. I don't like his head.

I don't play many games all the way through but few games with a long-form narrative seem to be able to keep the same level of excitement up throughout. Pacing is just something these games seem to have a problem with. Later game areas are never as elaborate as the earlier ones- compare the Sky city or Tron-Land to Link's village. I'm guessing that's deliberate, since they had pretty much all the time they needed to work on this game. It's weird, though. You just get a sensation that the party is over when you're doing those areas, and that it's time to finish up.

While I'm on the subject of the Sky Land... don't let me build an area up in my imagination before I get there if you're not going to even attempt to make it look impressive! When you're in the sky, and you look down towards the earth you don't see more sky.

In screenwriting we have a thing called 'cutting out the shit parts', which the games industry would do well to take note of if they're serious about this whole making good games thing. The boring and ugly parts of these games (bug hunts, sky land, tron land) just dilute the overall experience. Lose them! And if the whole Twilight thing is definitely the story they wanted to tell, they should have focused more on the story of the twilight-imprisoned Princess Zelda and her relationship with Link instead of all that shit with Zant (who turned out to be completely unimportant in the scheme of things anyway). Link/Zelda/Ganon with perhaps Midna/Link as a side story has far more potential than the confused mess of Midna/Zant/Ganon/Zelda/Link, especially since Midna/Zant serve practically the same narrative purpose as Zelda/Ganon. 'Lose one or the other' is what they'd be told if this was a film script. For such supposedly important characters, Zelda and Ganon are severely underwritten.

I'm just going to gripe about the land of Hyrule being 90% bottomless ravines while I'm at it. It's ugly. And the Sheikah village. Aren't they supposed to be warrior monks or something? Why do they live in Coyote Gulch, Arizona? Also they seem to have forgotten why villains do that whole 'Now I will reveal my true form!!!' thing. Tip: Andross doesn't turn back into a monkey scientist after revealing himself to be a giant brain!

Hey you know what? For all its flaws Wind Waker did this shit so much better than TP did it's not even funny. I'm getting rid of this game tomorrow, it is stinking up the place.

>:|

P.S. As a counterpoint please see all the posts I made in this thread where I say how great this game is
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. The best dungeons were the water temple and the sky city. The Temple of Time was very disappointing. Getting into it and the way it related to the Master Sword grove was wonderful, but the dungeon itself was an enormous waste of potential.

The highlight of the game, without a doubt, was returning to twilight Hyrule Castle with Midna dying on my back after finding all the fused shadows. It had a gorgeous symmetry in that the first time through there was all about Midna helping you learn to play as the wolf but this time you have to do it all on your own. I felt a strong emotional involvement at that point in the game. I also really liked her character in general and was impressed with her development, which was well done in the way that it only comes through with her body language and less condescending speech towards Link and her broadening concerns are explained in past-tense later in the game. I found myself wondering throughout the game what her agenda could be, being a creature of shadow helping to restore the light realm, and finding out how good-intentioned she was becoming later on made a lot of sense. She was also a much better developed tragic and self-sacrificing figure than Zelda has ever been in any game.

I guess the ending left me let down. I think it could have benefitted from an Earthbound sort of thing since the NPCs were the most complete of any Zelda game. I also don't see why Midna broke the mirror and would have preferred the romantic separation of Princess Mononoke instead: "So you go and help your people, and I'll be doing the same over here, and we'll both know that we're here. We'll see each other again."

I share some of David's disappointments over dark and creepy elements of both story and gameplay fading or simply not coming to fruition over the course of the game.

Anyway, TP is definitely the best Zelda I've ever played. It's still far from perfect, but I enjoyed it a great deal. In the big scheme of things, it wasn't a very important experience, though.

edit: oh, shit. dessgeega's post. I saw all of that, too. Awesome. I guess, though, that some of it didn't work quite perfectly for me. But yeah, great post.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished this! My final time was just under 41 hours. For the record, I did not:

• collect the minimum number of Poes to even participate in that quest (only 19)
• get the third tunic
• go lure fishing, even once
• even think about the Cave of Ordeals
• collect any bugs unless I happened upon them

I'm glad that none of this was required. I think I only had 13 hearts by the end of it; I stumbled across some of the grottoes, purely by accident, and was rewarded with some pieces of heart.

Dess, I think you said it well. Though a lot of the character development was a little underbaked, what was there was pretty surprising for a Nintendo game. Though the foreshadowed corruption of Link's soul (or what-have-you) never happened, I too caught the bit at the end where Link (despite apparently returning the Master Sword to the Temple of Time) left his village. Ilia looks on, as if to wonder if he'll ever return.

I mean, it's like the ending to Lord of the Rings; after all that, how do you return to a normal life? Poor Link; someone he obviously cared about — and who cared about him — is gone forever. Midna's "Link, I..." was torturous.

Next Zelda: embittered Link tries to bust open the path to the Twilight Realm in a vain and misguided attempt to reunite with Midna!

P.S. I liked Midna better as a "hideous little imp," or however she referred to herself as.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I finally finished this! My final time was just under 41 hours. For the record, I did not:

• even think about the Cave of Ordeals

I know that I have already harped on this some, but the Cave of Ordeals is even more wonderful than I could imagine. It is fifty floors deep, and gets maddeningly hard (and entirely too much fun) by the end, at which point you're fighting three of the swordsmen sub-bosses from the Temple of Time all at once. Don't play it because of the reward or because you're a completionist, play it because it kicks ass.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cave of Ordeals was my favourite section in the entire game.

It was hot.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the game just now! The ending was excellent, even if it was spoiled for me (well I spoiled it for myself). Midna may be my new favorite video game character ever.

I will say, I was hoping for Twilight Wolf Link to unburrow from the ground in the twilight world at the end but I knew it wasn't to be.

Also, it only took me 34 hours to beat the game without doing the Cave of Ordeals (I'll go back and do that later) which seems lower than other people's numbers. I'm a little curious as to why that is.

I still think I like Wind Waker overall more for the gameplay experience, but this one had a better story by far.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Snowpeak! What a lovely dungeon!

Anyway, I've been exploring Hyrule Town again for the first time in awhile and found out I've missed quite a few little things. For example, there is a shield apart from that crappy wooden one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can buy that at Kakariko's Malo Mart even before you go to Death Mountain.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was too busy fighting the good fight to notice! I haven't seemed to have really needed a shield anyway, I'm up to the second last dungeon and spent most of the game without one. So that's cool.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my lack of a shield only became an issue when the golden wolf wouldn't teach me a new skill until I had one. That said, having one makes the last fight a lot easier.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's worthy investment.

I also haven't bothered with any of those wolf stones. I find the whole whistling thing too much of a pain in the arse so I just never bothered.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back slice helped me a lot in the last fight, and the helm splitter worked on every sword fight up until the last boss. I also didn't go out of my way to find any of these, they just were around in the normal course of the game.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem was that I just had too much trouble replicating the music for most of them. I liked the Ocarina better!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the howling is dumb, but at least they don't make you memorize songs (for longer than it takes to repeat) in this one.
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as the melodies become more complicated the howling becomes stupider. I was alright with it at first, even though it's just an obvious continuation of the whole having to make rudimentary music in a zelda game.

You really shouldn't have skipped those wolf stones, though. The helm splitter and backslice are essential combat abilities. The mortal draw is pretty cool, too. Those abilities are so essential that I do not think you can beat some of the straight fighting foes without them. In fact, the final battle sucked in my opinion because it consisted of just backslicing over and over with a two-hit combo followup. I don't know why everyone likes that fight so much.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:

It was hot.

One question: how loaded up were you with items, hearts, bomb bags, etc. when you tackled this? I don't have much of anything (small wallet, default number of arrows, etc.), but I'm curious to know if I should even bother. I'd like to check this out.

I do have the Hawkeye, though.
Slonie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
silentmatt wrote:

It was hot.

One question: how loaded up were you with items, hearts, bomb bags, etc. when you tackled this? I don't have much of anything (small wallet, default number of arrows, etc.), but I'm curious to know if I should even bother. I'd like to check this out.

I do have the Hawkeye, though.

Just make sure you have the double hookshot before going in, if you want to finish. That's the only mandatory item (besides the other dungeon items you get in previous dungeons). Also, some skills, and/or a lot of potions. There's still benefits to beating at least 10 floors of it though, even if you can't finish.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, stupid question... what/where is the cave of ordeals, and what do you have to do to open it?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I mucked around in the Cave—or as those guys on MyCheats said, I "spelunked the crap" out of it—and got down to the tenth level, and the first Great Faerie. I find the notion of a 50-floor, descending dungeon fascinating. It's surprisingly fun.

Shaper, the Cave of Ordeals is a plotless grind hidden in the Gerudo Desert. If you head to the desert via the cannon in Lake Hylia, head southeast, where you can see what looks like a large flat monolith sticking up. It's positioned so that it catches the sun and moonlight very obviously.

Use your double-clawshot to scale the small rock outcropping, and approach the monolith. (I think at this point you get attacked by Twilight creatures, which gives you a proper warp portal.)

Midna will get curious and you'll realize that the structure is actually the missing middle piece from the Eldin bridge. Warp when she asks you to, and choose the bridge as your location. She'll take the piece with her and fit it back into place. Then warp back and you'll notice a very obvious entrance where the bridge piece was.

Enter that, and despair!

For every ten floors that you clear, you meet a Great Faerie, who releases faeries into a particular spring within Hyrule (she also gives you a Great Faerie Tear, which heals you completely and gives you a temporary attack boost). I assume they respawn after you catch one, but I can't be sure. Once you clear all 50 floors, the final faerie releases Great Faeries into all the springs, so you can get the Tears (only one at a time) any time you like.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Midna will get curious and you'll realize that the structure is actually the missing middle piece from the Eldin bridge. Warp when she asks you to, and choose the bridge as your location. She'll take the piece with her and fit it back into place. Then warp back and you'll notice a very obvious entrance where the bridge piece was.

Oh! See, I did that but never went back.

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
In fact, the final battle sucked in my opinion because it consisted of just backslicing over and over with a two-hit combo followup. I don't know why everyone likes that fight so much.

see i actually found this to be painfully representative of the entire game. i am getting to really hate z-targeting. zelda is getting to be far, far too much about simply going through the motions, and the overwhelmingly standard "hold z, hold right, press a twice, wiggle waggle wiggle" is not helping matters.

i did like midna a lot, and had a much higher opinion of the game around its midpoint. having seen stuff like snowpeak, though, it frustrates me like hell that they were unable (or unwilling) to make the rest of the second-act-zelda-baggage that cute. still can't really rationalize ganondorf for a moment, and, looking back, about the only part i particularly cared for post-yetis was the bit where all of your friends from telma's pub show up and help you out in hyrule castle, which should say something (god dammit).

my last save outside of hyrule castle was only 32 hours, and that's having completed the cave of ordeals, with 16 hearts, all of the bomb bag and quiver upgrades, all of the sword skills, thirty-some poes, the third armor, the second wallet, and no fishing. maybe i'm good at zelda?
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your sentiment entirely. In fact, playing Metroid Prime again last night for the first time since I got it, I was appalled at how much Zelda it has flowing through its veins.

I think you can take the notion of lock-and-key design and expand it to the point where even potentially interesting combat situations take on such a form.

However. Why does everyone like Snowpeak so damn much? I'd like to hear an explanation.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cause it tells a little self-contained story as you go through the dungeon

And there's never been a dungeon in a Zelda game which was also a delapidated mansion. So it felt fresh, for these two reasons.

Also it's cute. The yetis love each other! One makes soup!
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

Well, yeah. I mean, that's the appeal of the dungeon, inasmuch as (almost) every dungeon has some kind of appeal. I just wasn't very impressed because the mansion was laid out a bit too gamey-like to be impressive (I guess I felt it could have been Hyrule Castle, you know?) and the cuteness and the story and the yetis were too simplistic and obvious. I guess I like it in principle, like many of you seem to, but that led to the execution feeling undercooked. Does that make sense?

I'm glad I wasn't missing something mentally there. Thanks.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to sled your way to the door.

internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that was pretty fun, wasn't it?

did anybody go back and explore that whole area on foot? i thought about it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. There's nothing there :|

At least, I don't think so.

I just remembered there's a dungeon/mansion in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (the one with the Tonberry Chefs). So I guess Snowpeak's not that original, but I wasn't expecting it in a Zelda game, at least.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never and never will think that FF:CC is a game I would like.

Harveyjames wrote:
I did. It sucked.

Yeah but like did you find anything? Are there bugs there?

edit: nevermind

Oh, question! Are the Love scenes the fortune teller shows you places where you can find pieces of heart? I had guessed they were, but I haven't been able to confirm it. Donating for Love at the west entrance to Hyrule Castle Town seems to corroborate this suspicion.

I think that's the only question I have left about the game. That feels sad.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it just shows you where the pieces of heart are. This disappointed me, I had a whole scenario planned out where Link falls in love with the fishing girl and the charity guy was in cahoots with the gypsy, and both were scam artists. My imagination ran wild!
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel you. There were a number of mysterious elements in the game that had my imagination run wild, until I learned that they were very, very banal gamey modern zelda things. =(

I do love that the fishing girl actually flirts with you, though. If you look at certain photos numerous times, for instance. It sort of makes you long for more, yeah, but it's more than there has ever been for a zelda game. Most of the TP NPCs are like that.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Majora's Mask and Wind Waker though, you can change the lives of the NPCs! I thought it was great how you can get Baito a job at the post office and get the couple on Windfall Island to get together... there are more examples of this which escape me. There's not really anything like that in TP, so it's a step backwards in that respect.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hey dess how are you enjoying majoras mask

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not!

(it hasn't arrived yet.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey i thought i was the only one who decided to play majora's mask immediately after finishing twilight princess; neat.

i like it so far. but i only just got things under control.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm not!

(it hasn't arrived yet.)

WHAT

I'm totally leaving this dude NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone finished the cave of ordeals? I've tried it three times now, and it's pretty difficult. I thought it might be over after the really hard (for me) fight against two of those armor-shedding guys at once, but it just keeps going. I guess I should get blue potions instead of fairies before I try it again. I assume they refill all your hearts instead of just eight. If I can bring myself to try it again, that is--it makes my hands hurt.

I'm putting off what I assume is the very last dungeon, as I know that after I beat it I'll most likely never play the game again and I kind of want to beat this cave.

Sorry if my question is already answered in this thread. I don't want to read through it because I haven't actually finished the game.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, at the end of Hyrule Castle there's a locked door just before you go through the door to meet Ganon. The map shows that this door has many chests behind it, but if you haven't explored the castle thoroughly enough you won't be able to open it. This is quite a neat touch, I feel.

I couldn't be bothered to go back and find the key to unlock it, though. What's in the chests? What kind of a room is it?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a perfect world, it'd be five heart pieces. probably just rupees, though. i couldn't be bothered!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the best secrets in games are the ones which give you a little inside knowledge, like when you discover the Wind Fish's mural like two dungeons before you're supposed to in Link's Awakening. That felt special. Also, 'They say Ganondorf rides a black gerudo stallion'.

If I had made that game I would have had an impressive Bayuex Tapestry-style mural in that locked-off room which said something about the true nature of Ganondorf... 'they say the one named Ganondorf is the human form of Ganon, one of the dark gods from the dawn of time' written underneath a giant engraving of an evil pig.

You really need something like that in TP, because Ganon's pretty underdeveloped in that game. They don't even set up the fact that sometimes he's a giant pig. I'd hate to be a newcomer to the series getting to the part where he transforms, it would be confusing as hell. Especially since he just transforms back again right after it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: