The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I think the gaming industry is losing its soul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giampi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Why I think the gaming industry is losing its soul Reply with quote

A weird little train of thought departed from the station in my head this morning.

It started the other day when I was talking to a friend over the internet. Said friend lives in a house in Florida with three other guys and spends most of his free time renting PS2 games via an internet site--I can't remember which, really--then copying them to get cheap PS2 games. He also plays a lot with his XBox. He was the kind of gamer that would fit right in with the crowd here: reflexive, thoughtful, postmodern, the kind of person who could appreciate quirky aspects of gaming for what they were. Nowadays he is the type of gamer that EA owes their multi-billion industry chokehold to: he despises innovation, won't buy anything that isn't in English, and absolutely despises Nintendo, though he hasn't gone near anything produced by them since the days of Nintendo 64 because of the whole 'kiddy games' shpiel most dumb-core, gamefaqs trolls cling to so dearly.

Well, no, actually, that's wrong. He doesn't hate Nintendo as much as he feels sorry for Nintendo. There's a difference.

"Nintendo is the one you point and laugh at," was a phrase he used on me a while ago. Basically, he takes every chance he can get to remind me that everything Nintendo has ever made absolutely sucks solely by virtue of being Nintendo, kind of like that dorky kid in school that's always tripping over stuff and receiving regular doses of wedgies. While I admit that the big N isn't exactly the bastion of sound business strategy these days, I refuse to believe that they're anywhere near being the game company that gets pointed and laughed at. For one thing, it's the only major company that still has soul.

Soul. That's the issue, you see. In today's age of big-budget gaming, where the industry is starting to mature and imitate the movie and music industries, Nintendo is the only company sticking with its guns and aiming at making products that are games as opposed to pieces of lifeless code. When I get my grubby paws on a Nintendo game--doesn't matter which--I can feel that one of the primary directives of the team behind it was to make a game that's fun, and not a game that sells. Granted, there are games with soul on the other major consoles; I don't think I have to tell you which ones. However, those games are few and far between, and when they appear they usually get shoved to the side in favor of Madden 200X or Grand Theft Auto: The Next One. And no, you don't have to remind me about Pokémon because I know it's a cash cow.

I cringe when my friend--the one I mentioned before--talks about how cool a certain game is because the graphics are so cool, or whatever. He's forgotten the days when he and I would argue over why Silent Hill scared the piss out of us, or how effective Pokémon was as a marketing cum socialization tool because of its game mechanics. Now all he talks about is how he's starting to dislike the PS2 because the graphics totally suck compared to the XBox, and how he's getting all the games listed as good by GameSpot (in the beginning, he would use that site to see if it was worth getting a game by reading the reviews. Now he uses that site so that GameSpot can tell him what to buy with no clear explanation as to why). As a gamer, I'm sad to say that he's lost his soul.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Fortunately most of my old aquaintances just got out of gaming rather than turning into that guy. It's a very Bestbuy-ized way selecting games-- you know, if Bestbuy doesn't stock the game, it must suck. Or if Gamespot reviews it badly, it must suck. Good to see he's doing his part by taking nearly all the revenue out of even the big gaming companies' pockets by renting and copying. Classy!

I myself am a pretty big Nintendophile. But I can see why some people have turned away from them, since Mario Kart is about the polar opposite in tone from something like Splinter Cell. I bet a lot of people who poo-poo Nintendo are closet fans though, if only through nostalgia.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't this really about how your friend lost his soul?
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
isn't this really about how your friend lost his soul?

His gaming soul!

Where does he get his money to afford such an affluent soul-less lifestyle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Giampi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats me.

But yes, this is about how he lost his gaming soul, and how many people, just like him, lost their gaming soul to mass consumption.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet we all got into this because of mass consumption.

a paradox in a riddle in an enigma, it is.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people like what you described. It depresses me. These are the people that are going to make the HD era a reality.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunatly I still have quite a few friends who have not lost their gaming soul (but man they know how to pirate... bastards). They still love and play King of Fighters as well as Tekken 5. Beatmania IIDX as well as God of War.

That kind of thing.

But I have also known a few people who went that way. Not for a long time though. Most just grew apart from games in general. I work with people who have no gaming soul and buy tripe like NARC. Though I don't know if they ever had one.

Yea, it is a sad thing, but some people look at games like that. Same with people who look at cars for what is under the hood, not the ride to get there.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's HD?

my gaming soul is mired in self-loathing and sandpaper.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what's HD?

my gaming soul is mired in self-loathing and sandpaper.

I belive High Definition. Like graphic whore level 2.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, like the hd tv stuff? it makes nature shows look nice (my friend's studio has a big tv with all sorts of that crap and tivo and whatnot. it's nice to visit)
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Microsoft Keynote at GDC this year was all about "the HD generation." The basic theme was that the games of tomorrow will be bigger in all ways. They'll require more art assets, more development time, more developers, and much, much more money. Pretty much every game will need to sell at least a half a million copies or more to turn a profit.

Microsoft used this Keynote to let developers know that all of the next-gen X-box games will have to have support for HD resolutions, be Xbox Live aware, allow cusomizable soundtracks, and have certain in-game notices such as low-battery indicators for wireless controllers. In order to soften the fact that support for each of these things will require companies to hire a few more employees, they gave 1,000 people free (after taxes) Samsung HD TVs, and promised them that they'd be less strict about other requirements in the future.

It was a good presentation, but, as you know, a few days later Greg Costikyan tore it down by pointing out that as games are getting bigger, both the financial and emotional returns are getting smaller, and the number of publishers willing to back unproven, innovative game ideas is shrinking exponentially.

Nintendo still pushes for innovation regardless of what it's going to end up costing them. I think that's the "soul" that Giampi refers to in his intial post. What got many of us into games long ago was the variety of worlds and ways of interacting with them that video games can provide. As publishers are become less willing to take chances, this freshness is getting buried in yearly releases and planned franchises. Nintendo isn't exempt from this though. For every Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat there's a Mario Kart Double Dash. For every Yoshi's Touch and Go there's a Pokemon FireRed.

We can bitch about people who have abandoned Nintendo, but by putting our faith in companies or franchises we are as responsible for the industry's stagnation as they are. We put our money toward the things we're sure of, looking for names like Konami, Sega, Capcom, and Nintendo on the sides of the boxes as we wait for games from unknown publishers or with unknown characters to drop in price before picking them up. The fact is that relying on a publisher or a character to tell us a game's quality is just as bad as relying on magazines to tell us what to buy; either way you're not putting your money toward industry growth or innovation.

Does the name Gunstar Heroes 2 make you froth with demand? If so, you're not helping out the industry any more than the guy who buys the yearly Madden update. Me? I have to admit that those Gunstar pictures made me moist. Give me Gunstar Heroes 2. But also give me Alien Hominid and our industry will keep its legs.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sinking feeling that if I want to play new 2D games with a classic feel to them 3 years down the road I will have to either a) play them on a PC or b) hope that games are 2.5D (ala Viewtiful Joe).
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right the games industry has lost its soul. its dying, and personally I can't wait for it to crash and burn, and then we can rebuild things from the ashes of the next crash.

SuperWes wrote:
The Microsoft Keynote at GDC this year was all about "the HD generation." The basic theme was that the games of tomorrow will be bigger in all ways. They'll require more art assets, more development time, more developers, and much, much more money. Pretty much every game will need to sell at least a half a million copies or more to turn a profit. Microsoft used this Keynote to let developers know that all of the next-gen X-box games will have to have support for HD resolutions, be Xbox Live aware, allow cusomizable soundtracks, and have certain in-game notices such as low-battery indicators for wireless controllers.

Hearing M$ sprout crap like that makes me want to vomit.
Evil or Very Mad

In a word, they are idiots.
Im tired now, but I could spend a good few pages lamenting why I hate everything they mentioned. Customisable soundtracks are a lazy, cheap and thoughrally loathsome addition to any game. It should be banned. It would be like renting a DVD, but using your own home mad subtitles/dubbing where the characters talk about old socks for 2 hours. The bottom line is, human beings should not be allowed to optionally listen to their own John Denver music whilsy playing (insert game here). It ruins whatever hard work the designers put into it trying to convey a certain mood or atmosphere. I am shocked that people don't complain about this.

I remember when they were talking about how great there Off-Disc-Content plans were. Yeah, buy a game for Ł40, pay I dunno how much subscribing to live, and then paying an additional Ł5 or whatever to unlock via Live a series of extra levels THAT ARE ALREADY ON THE BLOODY DISC! Sorry, but I have a personal hatred for anything that is ODC and point blank refuse to buy those games. Free extra maps and mods, such as in Morrowind, is fine. But purchasing levels or race tracks as they are released is simply wrong. Damn, I feel almost like writing a scathing attack now on the industry, for the next TGQ issue...... Confused
(if I do, it better be under a pseudonym, since it won't be friendly...)

Costikyan btw, is my new personal hero. I read his speech, and it was like he was reading my mind. Brillaint. I am so glad he got to say what he did. Genius.

Have any of you read the "Scratch Games Manifesto"?
You should. The-underdogs website has a copy of it, it pretty much explains and debates the whole thing, and does a good job of arguing against the idiocy of Microsoft and their marketing schemes.

But hey! What the hell do I care?

Ive been playing freeware like Doukutsu for the past week. If I can continue get free 2D games like this regularly, I'll never need to buy another commercial game again. Wink
Well, either that or I'll get a buddy in the Phillipines to ship the latest titles to me for $1 a pop.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like customizable soundtracks. i'm not going to buy an xbox - i may never buy another console again - but people should be able to non-commercially fuck with everything that moves. specfically music, as i'm not a fan of "videogame music" especially of the electronic variety. i'd love to be able to replace the soundtrack on san andreas, for example, and make up an early 90s college station. MORE SLINT THAN YOU CAN STUFF INTO A BOX OF SPINELESS NOODLES.

look at morrowind, for example. morrowind is still a living game, in part because of this ability to be permanently and continually altered. good stuff.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of cusomizable soundtracks as well, I just don't think they're implemented very well in very many games. I hear that Sega's Football games do it well by allowing you to assign certain songs to certain events, and even let you choose what parts of the songs play. More games should give the player this kind of freedom. I'd like to see a game that provides the moods, or colors of certain stages and allows you to assign songs based on those things. Then when you play through the game you would hear songs that match up with what the designers intended. The problem is that most games just have you select one of your predefined playlists and then plays through the songs one-by-one. That's not the way to do it. As long as using your own songs is optional and not manditory, I think it's a good feature.

I'm also a fan of games giving players the ability to download content for cash. People who are against paying for downloadable content don't seem to realize that games which require you to buy content to enjoy them won't be popular. MS realizes this and will limit buyable content to add ons, expansions, or things that you would normally have to invest more time to unlock.

Have you ever played GunBound? In Gunbound you can earn points that can be used to customize your avatar and upgrade your weapons by winning matches. If you don't want to play the game for 6 hours to get a new character's head, you can just drop $10 and buy it. It's entirely optional, but it allows you to empower your character through cash instead of time if you choose to.

Links for the X-box has an extra course that you can download for $5. I don't play the game enough to buy this course so I haven't paid for it, but if I played Links often I would welcome the ability to expand the content. I already paid for the 9 courses included in the game and was happy with them, but if I wanted the 10th I'd be fine with paying $5 to download it.

The way I see it, buying extra content will always be optional, and when it is no longer optional it will just keep people from buying the games in the first place, which will hurt the bottom line more than the downloadable content is hoping to expand it, forcing them to scale back the downloadable content again.

Lets say you've already paid $20 for Katamari Damacy and came home happy with your purchase. Would you spend 5 bucks to download a few more fully realized levels? I sure would.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
look at morrowind, for example. morrowind is still a living game, in part because of this ability to be permanently and continually altered. good stuff.

As well as beyond simple to add/change music for.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lets say you've already paid $20 for Katamari Damacy and came home happy with your purchase. Would you spend 5 bucks to download a few more fully realized levels? I sure would.

i probably would, assuming we could get around that whole don't play online thing i do.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
stuff about paying for downloads.

It really depends on the circumstances. Those examples you give are good. DDR Ultramix sells song packs for $5 and has like 4 or 5 of them. Those are good. The inherent problem is when you have to pay for a service (Xbox live) and have a certain kind of connection (broadband) to get important content (patches). I don't remember what it was, but there have been a few circumstances of this.

Also as far as I know few to no companies do this with PC games. The only thing I can think of is similar to are expansion packs.

Anyways, when you have things like the fan content that is available for Morrowind (and many other games ... many) at your finger tips for free it makes me kind of hesitiant to pay for similar items on console games. The only reason that I can think of that we would end up paying for these things on consoles is because it is closed code and we are at their whim.

Honestly though, getting patches for console games makes me nervous as hell. I never enjoy messing with PC games, I can only imagine the equivilent of messing with console games with a dual shock to navigate.
EightBit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The Microsoft Keynote at GDC this year was all about "the HD generation." The basic theme was that the games of tomorrow will be bigger in all ways. They'll require more art assets, more development time, more developers, and much, much more money. Pretty much every game will need to sell at least a half a million copies or more to turn a profit.

But now we'll get advertizing to quell those rising costs! So says grand high potentate Allard. In the next PGR game we'll have a Starbucks on every corner. If a corner doesn't have a Starbucks, it'll be McDonalds... We can Run Like Hell from Bawls and ring in the HD era with a Taco Bell! It'll be grand, I swear.

On to the soul thing... I think you are just wishing that your friend was as enthusiastic as you are about gaming. I mean, do die hard football fans have a "Sports Soul"? Nah, they just really like it, and appreciate it on a different level than most other people do. Gaming just hasn't reached the saturation point necessery to breed a new stable base of enthusiastic fans, but it will.

We finally have a sundance channel and a Independant Film Channel for those of us who are film enthusiasts. The base for gaming is there in the older crowd that started out with Yars Revenge and a blister on thier thumb. We kept playing it because of our deeper level of appreciation for the medium, not because we had such an intangible quality as a soul. What we need is game companies that are willing to put forth the kind of monumental effort to make a game that accepts all kinds of people, but is able to show them that it can be worth it to tackle the effort needed to understand the game and appreciate the medium. Just look at Virtua Fighter 4. Arguably the greatest fighting game ever made(though if anyone argued that it wasn't, I'd have to assume they were insane). For those few that enjoy the fighting genre with voracity, they understand the games outstanding system, and are willing to put forth the effort to grasp it fully with both hands and beat thier opponents senseless. The game though, has a harsh greeting. More like a slap in the face. If you want to pull off anything cool at all, you have to work... and hard. This game isn't going to get any new fans, I assure you. Games need to be accessable to those not fortunate enough to have our background, and have the depth for the afficionados to explore.

On to the game companies...

I kinda feel that certain designers have heart, and certain companies are compasionate enough to put the backing behind that love of the game. I guess maybe thats what you feel is the "soul". These companies are crashing all around us though, and hell, if you ask me, there aren't any left. Save maybe Treasure... maybe. Tell you what Treasure does have, assuming they dont have that soul. They have smarts. They know what thier audience is, and they know how to persue them. I doubt they made Ikaruga with a budget so vast that it needed a million copies sold to break even. Seems to me like they do some licensed games(albeit very very well) to pay the bills, and then go make the games they love to make and thier fans love to play. That sure seems like soul to me.

If only more comapnies knew that a game didn't need multi million dollar advertizing and a multi million dollar budget and get multi million dollar profits. You could make quite comfortable gains if you budgeted a game correctly, according to what its fanbase would be. If you advertized it using the right mediums and advertizment spaces.

As far as Nintendo's soul goes though. I dunno mate, seems to me like they've lost it. The whole innovation thing made it seem like they really cared at first, but its's getting to sound more and more like a PR schtick. It seems like the only reason they want to innovate now is so that they can have the higher ground and say, "We are innovating for the sake of games, we swear!". They haven't made one game yet on the DS that is more fun because of its capabilities, or was fun because it needed those capabilities. The DS reminds me of this super hot chick I work with (Except all her screens are for the touching... eh? eh? ya get it? eh? ... no I don't understand what Im saying either). Sure she has all the equipment to give me a mind blowing experience, but will she? ...Probably not.

Just a quick aside as this post is already far longer than I wanted it to be. One thing that irks me the most when I'm having this type of discussion is when people immediatly dismiss it saying that all companies are out for the bottom line, and thats it. Yeah, companies are out for profit, thats the reason you have a company. Companies can get good bottom lines with or without the betterment of thier particular market in mind. Some people want to see gaming evolve into something better than it is and since they can make money while doing it, then hey, all the better. Its those that are simply there for the bottom line, like the EA's of the world, that are the soulless ones. Seems like its quite a bit easier to pick out the soulless companies that it is to point out the ones with a soul.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

i'd love to be able to replace the soundtrack on san andreas, for example, and make up an early 90s college station.

I agree totaly. The GTA games using licensed music the way they do is one of the laziest aspects of design Ive seen. Using licensed music is fine in a controlled way, but the danger of allowing the player to select music removes that controlled sense of immersion and atmosphere that creators utlise. I think it was summed up Toups well in his Resident Evil 4 article, the reason why the camera is 3rd person and unmoveable is because Capcom wanted full directorial control of the visual and your emotions. I feel the same with game audio, the game creatoir should create that game music at the same time as the gameplay, a kind of embryonic fusion so that music perfectly matches the gameplay at every step of the way. As much as I loathe Rez, the music is blended to the gameplay. In GTA often the radio station is playing music at odds with the onscreen events... it destroys the immersion and the emotional control.

This is my fear with customisable soundtracks. Let generalise quickly: Someone is playing Halo 3 right before a massive gunfight, the original soundtrack has sitars, fiddles and ghaelic chanting, it builds to a crescendo, it rocks your gaming world. But some guy might be playing with customised Morris Dancing soundtrack. Im certain he is enjoying the game, and HIS music a great deal, but thats the problem. its HIS music being played in time to the action, his experience of this game ids totally different to everyone elses, and motre importantly, his experience is different to the experience the creators envisioned.

I am at heart a gaming purist. I like to buy games with their original cover art, their original soundtracks an their originally envisioned gameplay. Regardless of which region they were made in. I know it's optional, but I still don't feel comfortable.

SuperWes wrote:

No I wouldn't mind if it was a few months later, and the content was freshly made.
BUT! And here is what annoys me so furiously....

People have shown that in some cases, the content you download is already on the disc. Hackers in the UK did this to some racing game and found the extra cars/tracks were already present. The download only modifies your save file to allow you to access this extra data, already on the disc that you are holding in your hands.

This means you've paid for that data, its on your game disc, and they are just charging you extra to use it. It was already developed during the standard development period for that game, there was no need to scale back production... they could have made it accessible without paying extra.

The whole thing really speaks for itself.

There are examples of good ODC, such as Morrowind. Which greatly expand this.
There will always be amazing examples that people use to show that it is a great idea, but there will also always be greedy corporations that use it just for profit. I believe ODC should be free, like so many of these morrowind add-ons.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
There are examples of good ODC, such as Morrowind. Which greatly expand this.
There will always be amazing examples that people use to show that it is a great idea, but there will also always be greedy corporations that use it just for profit. I believe ODC should be free, like so many of these morrowind add-ons.

OK, I read the above as OCD then whend you said "OCD should be free," I realised that it was ODC (Open Development Code?) not OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would've been nice if, in San Andreas, you listened to a lot of the Country station or something, your homies would make fun of you or something, or you'd lose respect.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In GTA often the radio station is playing music at odds with the onscreen events... it destroys the immersion and the emotional control.

i see what you mean in general, but in the case of gta, that's the point. it's a car radio. they're generally not syncing to your environment. unless you're high.

i'm not much of a purist because i grew up on secondhand pc games. everything i did or interacted with was years after the fact, so all the shitty add-ons for sim city, for example, were mine for the 3 dollar taking. (after i'd saved up for them, of course)

i see what you mean overall, though...i'm one of those types who only listens to albums from beginning to end. (except for that survivor song from rocky iv) we all have our self-made crosses to bear.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:

OK, I read the above as OCD then whend you said "OCD should be free," I realised that it was ODC (Open Development Code?) not OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

Oops... my mistake, and boy do I feel sheepish.... Embarassed

I meant ODC as in: "Off Disc Content"

As in the case highlighted, where you have to pay money for parts of a game that should in all fianress be there on the disc already. Or ARE on the disc, but you cant use them until you've paid extra.

Not "Open Development Code"
My fault, since I made up the off disc content acronym.

But to summarise my anger into a single-ish sentence:
Quote:
"It is wrong for companies to charge you extra, just to use the data already contained in a game when you bought it, either they should sell that game with an additional $5 on it, or allow that data to be unlocked normally for free."

Its stealth fee charging basically, what some of them are doing.
Giampi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, customizable soundtracks.

One the one hand, they provide the opportunity for appropriation of the game that a person is playing at any given time. By giving a game your own soundtrack, you make the game 'yours', unique, impossible for anyone else to reproduce, at least theoretically.

On the other hand, they risk alienating the game's purpose from the gamer's experience. Playing death metal during a rousing game of Mr. Driller, or showtunes during the scariest parts of a survival horror game.

My opinion is that customizable soundtracks should be present when they open up the possibility of bettering the game because of it. I'm thinking specifically about Vib Ribbon here. The reason that game is so cool is because you can use whatever music you want as the soundtrack, and the game will still work perfectly. If you had limited VB's soundtrack to a select few, pre-sampled tracks, the game would've been crap. The idea is, then, not to include customizable soundtracks 'just because', but to employ them as a tool that can improve the gaming experience.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom soundtracks are a very important part for games like racing or ... perhaps Extreme Sports such as Tony Hawk. These games don't really have a set soundtrack in the manner that you will gain from playing course X over a hundred times to get a high score... I mean you can only listen to crap rock so many times. GT4 would have been about 5X better with a custom soundtrack option.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the other hand, they risk alienating the game's purpose from the gamer's experience.

but the game has no purpose outside of what the player decides it to be.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Its stealth fee charging basically, what some of them are doing.

That's exactly what it is. Except that you have the option to NOT buy it when it's downloadable content/extra fee for unlocking. And you can make your choice based on the game. With Ninja Gaiden, I played that game for MONTHS. You bet your ass that I would have paid for the extra content if I subscribed to Live (I don't), because for me, for once I got way more than $50 out of the game to begin with.

At least with most of the games where there's fee-based unlocking it's not like you buy the game on release day, and then that afternoon all the extra content is available for download. It can make a game that's seeming old new again.

As for custom soundtracks, I think there are some games that beg for the feature and others that don't. GT4, I agree, needs custom soundtracks but isn't on a system that supports them. JSRF, I can't imagine without Guitar Vader, etc. Saddest of all are games that would be great with custom soundtracks, are on the right system, but for some reason don't support the feature. Amped 2 comes to mind as an example.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Amped 2 comes to mind as an example.

Are you sure about this? I know for a fact that Amped 1 did and I could have sworn that Amped 2 does as well.

I wish SSX3 had custom Soundtracks...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
As for custom soundtracks, I think there are some games that beg for the feature and others that don't. GT4, I agree, needs custom soundtracks but isn't on a system that supports them. JSRF, I can't imagine without Guitar Vader, etc. Saddest of all are games that would be great with custom soundtracks, are on the right system, but for some reason don't support the feature. Amped 2 comes to mind as an example.

JSR/F is mission based and not revolving around a score. Tony Hawk is not like this, quite quite different. Same with Amped 2. GT4 yells at me for not having a custom soundtrack.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
That's exactly what it is. Except that you have the option to NOT buy it when it's downloadable content/extra fee for unlocking.

Thats a bad analogy. Its like saying theres a $500 tax each year, but you have the option of not paying and instead having your leg removed. Just because I have the choice to not pay the tax(fee), doesn't mean I want to lose leg (extra content).

I want the content, and I want it free. I expect it to be free in fact.
Not that it matters, I don't even have Live. I point blank refuse to buy into when I have a PC that can do the same thing for no extra charge.

To be honest, I forgot how much I loathe a lot of modern gaming. Ive spent the past 5 months buried in retro writing and have barely touched many things that are new. It feels so cold to about a decade ago.... jeez that makes me feel old.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats a bad analogy. Its like saying theres a $500 tax each year, but you have the option of not paying and instead having your leg removed. Just because I have the choice to not pay the tax(fee), doesn't mean I want to lose leg (extra content).

that's not a good analogy either.

a good analogy is you order a banana from a diner. but you want a banana smoothie. the banana has the potential to become banana pudding, but requires some small amount of extra work. they charge you extra for the smoothie.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
that's not a good analogy either.

a good analogy is you order a banana from a diner. but you want a banana smoothie. the banana has the potential to become banana pudding, but requires some small amount of extra work. they charge you extra for the smoothie.

That's not good either!

It's like when you're at Uno's Pizza and they have a bottle of water on the table. If you drink the water they're going to charge you $1. Your meal would be fine without the bottled water, but if you want the bottled water It's right there for you. It's right there and nature says that you should be able to drink it for free, but if you want to drink it you'll have to pay the fee.

Ok, maybe we should just stop with these analogies.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be a good sport I have a better one:

You Buy a 7 slice Pizza deliverd.
It gets there and has 8 slices.
If you eat the 8th slice you get charged, instantly (somehow).

Wha? It is here in my house, for me. I will just throw it away and never eat it if I don't want to get charged, what the hell is the point. Why the fuck can't I just eat it?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, maybe we should just stop with these analogies.

fuck no!

it's actually more like this - you buy a book. an instructional textbook on analogies. all the information is in the book. but you can't get to it, so you pay someone to explain analogies to you, using all the material that's already in the book.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Shaper's analogy, that pizza one is golden.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
I like Shaper's analogy, that pizza one is golden.

It's not a bad analogy, but it's only applicable if the pizza is already round with 7 slices. The 8th slice would have to be an extra slice that isn't needed but is nice to have.

That's the point that I think Szczepaniak is missing. The game is complete without the pay content. The pay content is just icing on the cake, water on the table, or pudding on the smoothie.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
That's the point that I think Szczepaniak is missing. The game is complete without the pay content. The pay content is just icing on the cake, water on the table, or pudding on the smoothie.

-Wes
I was pretty sure he was just refering to the stuff that you pay to download but was already on the disc, paying just unlocks what you already own.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if you can't unlock it, you don't own it.

LIKE KNOWLEDGE!!!!

at some point this discussion always devolves into some sort of fight over third choice economic systems and property ownership laws. i call anarcho-capitalist!
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to join in!

It's as if you bought a pure bred cat from a breeder that came with an option to extend its life via built-in nanomachines! The only problem is that it would cost money to use the feature... in exchange for a longer lasting kitty. Would YOU codec your kitty a 1-Up?

I noticed that many Western games have soundtracks that don't really seem integral to the playing experiences whereas Eastern games tend to sync both the music and the overall experience together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I'm going to join in!

It's as if you bought a pure bred cat from a breeder that came with an option to extend its life via built-in nanomachines! The only problem is that it would cost money to use the feature... in exchange for a longer lasting kitty. Would YOU codec your kitty a 1-Up?

That's the best example out of the lot! Excellent, especially the emotional component.

But really, let's take Ninja Gaiden as an example: extra weapons, enemies, and costumes are unlockable via Live. Does the game require it? Nope. Does it improve the gameplay or extend the life of the game? Yup. So then it's your choice. And it doesn't matter how much the original cost is-- $50 is what Tecmo decided they could get from the most people for the game.

I'm not certain if I think that it makes a difference whether or not the extra content is on the actual game disc, or is downloaded. I'll have to give that some thought.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree fully. I pay for the disc, I am therefor entitled to use everythingwithin.

But let me pull out the big guns.

These downloadable unlockable extras stop a game from being timeless.
How long will these servers still be up?
How long will I be able to pay for this stuff to use?
Can YOU still download those extra Samba De Amigo songs for the DC? They only need a small save file to unlock them, but already the servers are down.

How the hell can anyone enjoy these games in 10 years time? Where will they get these save files.

Far bigger than the fact that you have to pay, is the fact that it dates the games, so to speak.

Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PS1 etc are all timelss games. In the sense that as long as you have the game and hardware, you can play them in a decade, or two decades. Very seldomly is there anything that may stop this.

In 20-40 years when I am showing Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox to my grandson, how am isupposed to show him the extra costumes, weapons etc?
How are we supposed to play ALL the Samba De Amigo songs?

Beyond any problem regarding the ethics of stealth charging, which is loathsome in itself, there is the problem that it to a degree renders some section un-playable over time. Sure, they're just costumes you may argue, or tracks, or a few cars, but the point stands: these no longer become enjoyable single celled experiences in the gaming medium, they become like fragmented paintings where as they age you are able to enjoy less and less of them.

Why don't they just print the DVDs onto cheese instead of plastic, the result is the same, a game with a limited enjoyable shelf life, since over time these extras will be lost forever. Like tears in the rain.

And that gentlemen, is MATCH POINT!

Far worse than being charged for this stuff, is that as the games age we will eventually lose them.

Seriouslly, ive argued this point on most forums I visit, and the split is mostly always 80/20, with more people supporting such content.

I cannot fathom it. Confused

Anyone up for a beer?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, but is Samba De Amigo no longer timeless because it doesn't come with the Save file required to unlock some cruddy Ricky Martin rip-offs?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S LIKE THE MATRIX, MAN!
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
That's a good point, but is Samba De Amigo no longer timeless because it doesn't come with the Save file required to unlock some cruddy Ricky Martin rip-offs?

-Wes

Most of the downloadable content were Sega-related songs.
Things like:
-We are Burning Rangers
-Fantasy Zone theme
-Open Your Heart

And some other Sega-ish goodness.
Giampi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is, then, whether it will be impossible to enjoy these games in the future at all without the downloadable content. Will Ninja Gaiden and Samba De Amigo be unplayable because you no longer have access to the optional content?[/b]
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really like Ricky Martin, it's pretty hard to enjoy Samba w/out them.

The annoying part is that a few months later the next version, Samba de Amigo 2000, came with all those "downloadable" songs already unlocked. It also came with some extra game modes and other songs but it really wasn't anything more than a basic update.

Sonic Team annoys me to no end by doing this with every franchise they have.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
I disagree fully. I pay for the disc, I am therefor entitled to use everythingwithin.

But let me pull out the big guns.

These downloadable unlockable extras stop a game from being timeless.

Anyone up for a beer?

But that's just, like, your opinion, man.*

Like someone after this post has said, your point depends on an agreement that the downloadable content is what makes the game timeless. I don't think that's true for most extras that we've brought up. It's NICE to have the extra music in Samba, but the game doesn't require it.

And besides, if the game disc contains the content, there is almost certainly a hack out there for it. Plus much of the Dreamcast content is available for download too. It's just like emulation, without which a lot of the Famicom-era stuff itself would either be lost or damn hard to find.

I'd take you up on the beer, but pre-9:00am is really Scotch or Gin time.

*bonus points to whoever gets that quote!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
*bonus points to whoever gets that quote!

Lebowski?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: