The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MMORPGs - What do you play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: MMORPGs - What do you play? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what other people out there are playing and if they are enjoying it. What games are good and what stinks?

I was into Everquest II and still have an active Dark Age of Camelot account, but I am currently playing in a beta... can't disclose who's.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am morally opposed to MMORPGs.

That said, my former roommate was pretty into EVE which always looked pretty and he said was good (and I trust him).
Redd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I am morally opposed to MMORPGs.
Yeah, there's always the l33t factor invading the channels with their corruptive, anti-immersive nonsense. But there's always the ignore option. Bahaha.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do MMOs since I don't believe you should keep paying to enjoy a game you have already bought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
I don't do MMOs since I don't believe you should keep paying to enjoy a game you have already bought.

I used to agree with this sentiment, but have since come to realise the monthly cost of an MMO is really quite negligible, especially if the dev team is enthusiastic about producing new content and the server architecture is fast and efficient.

I sound like a walking advertisement there, but it's true. Also, when you consider that the subscription-based gaming pricing model is only going to become more pervasive in the future, sticking in the mud over the issue will probably mean missing out on a lot of good games.

As for what I've played, I was a top-hat wearing ninja mastermind on City of Villains for about 10 months, and am really looking forward to Warhammer Online (as I am a horrible Warhammer fanboy and long-time Games Workshop devotee). I also read about MMO's non-stop, particularly with regards to articles about design mechanics, or articles criticizing WoW (a game that I loathe).

Aaaand if all the talks I'm in now go well I will hopefully be working on a full-scale MMO within the next few months with a new company starting up in Perth.

I quite like MMO's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Ultima Online for a few months. After I managed to tear myself away (gave my account to my brother, who later sold it for a good price when he quit), I decided to avoid that type of game in the future. The monthly cost is nothing--it's the time that's the issue.
*christina*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how this thread has been up for this long without someone mentioning World of Warcraft. As a very cheap individual who normally doesn't like to spend money on games, I'd like to put in my two cents.

I feel very justified in paying my monthly fee to Blizzard every month. I'm not the one in the house who typically buys games but because I normally log into WOW at least twice a week I think it's worth the extra expense. If one were to compare the hours of gaming I get out of that money to the hours of gaming Wes gets out of his money the difference would be extreme. Of course I'm pretty sure most gamers don't spend as much as he does anyway. He is a coveter as well as a collector. Razz Actually a lot of people that I know who play WOW have stopped buying other games because they don't have time for them. So I guess in a way paying the monthly fees has been cost-effective for them.

That's all,
~christina
Redd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
The monthly cost is nothing--it's the time that's the issue.
That's the only thing that hinders my play... time limits. Gah. Time = ultimate enemy to MMORPG players... IMHO... and RPG players... and game players in general...

*christina* wrote:
I don't know how this thread has been up for this long without someone mentioning World of Warcraft. As a very cheap individual who normally doesn't like to spend money on games, I'd like to put in my two cents.

I feel very justified in paying my monthly fee to Blizzard every month. I'm not the one in the house who typically buys games but because I normally log into WOW at least twice a week I think it's worth the extra expense. If one were to compare the hours of gaming I get out of that money to the hours of gaming Wes gets out of his money the difference would be extreme. Of course I'm pretty sure most gamers don't spend as much as he does anyway. He is a coveter as well as a collector. Razz Actually a lot of people that I know who play WOW have stopped buying other games because they don't have time for them. So I guess in a way paying the monthly fees has been cost-effective for them.

That's all,
~christina
Yeah, especially if the average gamer buys one game a month... that's approx. 35$ - 50$ a month compared to 15$ a month...

Either way I still buy a kajillion games no matter how many RPGs I'm subscribed to... x_x
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*christina* wrote:
Actually a lot of people that I know who play WOW have stopped buying other games because they don't have time for them.

This is actually the only reason I don't play WoW (this, and the fact that Christina's always on the computer). It's a really good game that's definitely worth the money to people who play it, but I'd rather spread my gaming time over other games rather than devoting myself to one.

Quote:

Normally I'd agree with you, but World of Warcraft has so much more content than any other game that if they were going to charge you a one-time fee that's proportional to the amount of content included, they'd be charging you just as much as you end up paying over several years. I've been looking around at World of Warcraft websites lately, and some of those guilds are as large, well-managed, and full of well-versed individuals as many websites devoted to the entire subject of videogaming. If you're able to overlook the negative aspects there's a lot about that game to respect.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give Jet Set Willy Online a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Redd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only beef about WoW is there's a lack of realism in the graphics. That just kills it for me. Maybe others look for somethin' else in an MMO, but it's too cartoony.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redd wrote:
My only beef is there's a lack of realism in the graphics. That just kills it for me. Maybe others look for somethin' else in an MMO, but it's too cartoony.

for a second i thought you were talking about jet set willy online.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you have to enter a specific person's IP to join a game of Jet Set Willy? That's one I would like to try, even if it is faithful to the original series (that is, extremely punishing).

A lot of people at my work play World of Warcraft. I'm sure it's a very well-crafted game, but I've come to dislike it without having ever seen it when I hear about the commitment it requires from players. I'll stick with my console games.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JSWOL looks pretty good in theory, but it really needs some official servers so I can just go online and play some strangers, rather than having to find people who are up for it first.
Redd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar is coming out this quarter... check out the site... and pre-order for benefits. Very Happy http://lotro.turbine.com

I'm running a guild ( "The Gathering of Laurelin") on the forums so if you are interested in hardcore RP then check out the thread on the forums.

Anyways, just thought I'd announce that...
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back into WoW to review the expansion. I played Dark Age of Camelot for a long time, and PlanetSide as well. I really wish Mythic would do something with DAoC; I went back to review an expansion about two years ago and, especially since the release of WoW, it all felt so archaic and unnecessary. I also played the PS2 versions of FF Online and EverQuest, not really enjoying either one of them.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Phantasy Star Universe every now and then but then I cry when I realize that I'd probably enjoying staring at the ceiling more.

If I wasn't so desperately hooked on the vapors of PSO-anything, I would seriously stop playing the game altogether.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Faithless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play FFXI like an addict. Err, as an addict. Now, I just can't bring myself to delete my account. Interesting way to spend money, this.

As for WoW, I can't get into the art. I hate the art. If there was a hack that replaced all the art, then maybe I'd play for the mechanics of the game, and the community. But the art. Gag.
Redd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
As for WoW, I can't get into the art. I hate the art. If there was a hack that replaced all the art, then maybe I'd play for the mechanics of the game, and the community. But the art. Gag.

Tee-hee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: