The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MetroVania vs Zelda?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: MetroVania vs Zelda? Reply with quote

(One of my weird 'game designey' topics).

What do you think are the differences between the MetroidVania (CastleRoids haha) and Zelda formulas? Is there really any difference to speak of, or is it really just the same principle from a different perspective.
grumbel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVania vs Zelda? Reply with quote

While Metroid and Castlevania are similar, I would set them appart. Castlevania builds quite a bit more on RPG-like grinding to collect soles, buy better weapons and stuff., while in Metroid and Zelda killing dozens of enemies earns you nothing, a few gems in Zelda, but since you can't really buy new weapons with that, it doesn't help you much.

Another difference is that in Metroid you have a very limited amount of weapons, while in Zelda you have quite a bit more and you have to constantly switch around in the inventory.

There are also the dungeons which you have in Zelda, but don't have so much in Metroid or Castlevania. In both those games there is only one large world with some sections looking a little different then others, while in Zelda you have separate dungeons with their own reset points, puzzles and boss battles. In Zelda you also have the towns where there is no fighting, while in the Castlevania (2 being the only exception) and Metroid you are constantly fighting and much less talking.

But overall I would say they are pretty much the same, you walk around, kill this or that boss, earn a weapon that also acts as key for a new area, continue till you have defeated the last boss.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats right Grumbel. But you missed a few things. In Metroid you have a gun where in Zelda you have a sword. Metroid is set in the Future while Zelda is set in the Fantasy world of Hyrule! Zelda has a hero called Link and Metroid's hero is called Samus. Link is a boy while Samus (Metroid) is a girl!! Also, Link is green while Samus is the colour orange.

Also In Zelda you don't pick up missles you pick up rupees! I suppose Samus might find a rupee one day but good luck trying to find somewhere to spend it Samus!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps Ketch!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, cross polination like the later Hana Barbara would result in Samus Collects the Rupies?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, more seriously, the lock and key formula of the two is quite similar (you need a missle to open doors in Metroid, you need Dracula’s Rib in Castlevania, and you need the Hookshot in Zelda), but the main separation is their 2D games.

Obviously Zelda is overhead and involves a center point (usually Hyrule field) for which everything branches off from. Metroid games will usually have a stream of progression from points that may result in backtracking, but (baring Fusion) doesn’t result in a central return point. The Castlevania’s which have come to pass since Igarashi’s taken charge as caretaker for the series has been quite similar to the initial and returning Metroid formula. These are the ones referred to as Metroidvania’s (SotN and on). As stated above the lock/key of the three games is similar because many times they are more related to items being the key than literal keys.

In the 3D games of these three franchises you will get a much more similar feel to them. The main separation is their atmosphere and mechanics, but overall they have similar perspectives, progression, and lock/key systems.

This is all on a very basic scale though. Also, before SotN most people wouldn’t come close to attempting to talk about Castlevania with these other two games from a design perspective.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Ericb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, cross polination like the later Hana Barbara would result in Samus Collects the Rupies?

Or Zelda with even better exploration. I like the dungeons and all, but rather have a (far more) seamless experience in wandering around.

Something less "videogamey" and more "voyagey" maybe. Maybe something else.

Shapermc wrote:
Also, before SotN most people wouldn’t come close to attempting to talk about Castlevania with these other two games from a design perspective.

Not even Dracula's Curse?
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I enjoyed about Metroid is how much the game expects you to understand just from watching the environment and from knowing what you can do. Giving the player just a handful of weapons makes the player really have to understand what Samus can do, and then tossing enemies where conventional ways of beating them doesn't work makes the player think on their feet.

Meanwhile, in Zelda or Castlevania, you can pretty much kill everyone the same way (swing sword/whip/bugnet/etc.). The only really interesting combat scenarios in Zelda end up being the bosses where you have to apply what you were taught in the dungeon to succeed.

I really appreciate Metroid because it requires a certain mastery of the game. Backtracking through the puzzle-like levels aren't a problem after the first few times because you effectively own that area and can run across it with ease. Likewise, there's this empowering feeling in Castlevania as you walk across rooms and hallways with enemies, using your preferred weapon combinations to kill enemies as fast as possible. Of course, in Castlevania there's not much skill involved once you grind a few levels and become totally overpowered.

But really, each of these games have their own distinct fundamental design basics going on behind all of them. Metroid is essentially a lonely game in an alien planet, Zelda is a dungeon explorer with a connecting overworld, and Castlevania is a castle-romper with pretty set pieces and a "What is a man?!" at the end. That they happen to be influenced off each other or ended up rubbing ideas is the result of being created in the same genre, 2d platformers, and having to deal with similar limitations*.

*Actually, Zelda is an overhead game, isn't it? It'd be interesting to specifically compare Zelda 2 with Castlevania and the other dungeon platformers of the NES era though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sick of not having every tool I need to play the game from the start, in these sort of games. What's the fun of pondering over what you're meant to do with the mysterious artifacts you discover dotted around the landscape, when 90% of the time the answer is 'you're meant to use an item you haven't got yet'?

SotC breaks this tradition and is better for it :|
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SoTC also only gives you two tools (sword and bow). I think both the idea of getting some new item in each level, and the idea that you'll need 10 items to beat the game are contrary to what SoTC is trying to do.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Well SoTC also only gives you two tools (sword and bow). I think both the idea of getting some new item in each level, and the idea that you'll need 10 items to beat the game are contrary to what SoTC is trying to do.

I absolutely agree. The two games aren't structured similarly at all, nor do they need to be. Shadow of the Colossus works because it's only 6 hours long, but if it were 40 hours or more they'd need to have more tools, and if there were more tools it would be overwhelming. I think the problem with comparing the two games is that they're trying two different things. Zelda is all about game design where Shadow of the Colossus is all about the experience of the game. There's some crossover there, but all in all I think trying to walk away with the same thing from each of them is to miss what either of them do well individually.

Since this is the bash Twilight Princess Thread I'll go ahead and say what I found to be the most annoying thing in the game. While going through each dungeon I would constantly find chests and say to myself "This one contains a key", "this one contains 20 rupees," or "this one has a heart container." I've played so many Zelda games that the Zelda formula has become predictable. It's less me figuring out how to do new stuff and more me going through the motions of stuff I've figured out time and time again over 20 years. I've been a big defender of Zelda because I think the games are pretty much the epitome of game design, but after continual refinement I'm starting to think the design's been perfected and it's time to move on to something else.

I guess this means I'm looking forward to the Phantom Hourglass now more than ever.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I absolutely agree. The two games aren't structured similarly at all, nor do they need to be. Shadow of the Colossus works because it's only 6 hours long, but if it were 40 hours or more they'd need to have more tools, and if there were more tools it would be overwhelming.

I think the important part isn't so much what tools you have or get, but how you get them. In Another World for example you start out with nothing but yourself, so you can kick around a bit and thats it, in level two you then get a gun, but you get it because you just killed a guard. It makes sense to pick up the gun and use it, it also makes sense that a guard happens to have a gun. In SotC you happen to be a warrior with a horse, so bow and sword seem natural, in Ico you use whatever you find in the environment.

In Zelda on the other side you don't get weapons and items for a reason, you get them because every dungeon always happens to have an item, for no reason whatsoever, its just the way it is. One of the few points where Zelda:TP breaks away from this is the chained morning star in the ice palace, which you get from a guard you just killed and the swimsuit which you get from the Zoras ghost. But for most part stuff in Zelda always happens for no logical reasons and that annoys a lot. This is also rather obvious in some of the puzzles, especially the beginning, you see a cat, but you can't catch it (which is inconsistent with later parts of the game where you actually can grab cats), you have to use eagle with monkey and crib with lady and fishing rod with fish to finally get the cat. That chain of events makes absolutely no sense and the only way to figure it out is to try everything in that little town, there is no alternative way to catch the cat.

Quote:
Zelda is all about game design where Shadow of the Colossus is all about the experience of the game.

After having played Zelda:TP I am not so sure any more what it is actually is about, it had some moments where it felt a lot like Dreamfall (Thelma just looks a lot like Benrime), some others where it felt a little bit like SotC, some others where it felt like Tony Hawk and a lot of where it feld like Zelda:OoT remake. But overall it really felt like nothing specific, just a bunch of dungeons and mini-games wrapped together in a whole package with a lot of duct tape. I have a hard time to tell what Zelda:TP is about, since the whole thing just seems to lack focus, to many contradicting elements mushed into a single game.

It was still a game that was fun to play, but it never 'clicked' and whenever it was short of finally clicking, some nostalgia element punched you into the face and ruined everything. Especially when looking back on the 35h hours of game time I have a hard time to fit it all together, the game just doesn't make all that much sense when taken as a whole.
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumbel wrote:

I think the important part isn't so much what tools you have or get, but how you get them. .

Yes, it is about combining 'story' and 'gameplay'. Ie. If you find an important tool, why not make the player part of a little story about it. (Which some Zelda's have done with some of their items, for example you probably remember getting your sword from your Uncle in Link to the Past. Or getting the Master Sword, after searching the forest?

What these games need to do more of is making memorable little ways of introducing your new abilities and making them feel like a part of the 'story'. Rather than just something that happens 'because'.
mslano

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:

What these games need to do more of is making memorable little ways of introducing your new abilities and making them feel like a part of the 'story'. Rather than just something that happens 'because'.

This is one of the things I actually liked about Metroid Prime 2. Most of Samus' items were taken from her at the beginning of the game and then utilized by minibosses throughout the rest of the game. Though it's not much, there is a little bit of 'story' attached to each of these minibosses. Seeing an enemy use your previously hard-earned equipment against you makes using it yourself afterward much more rewarding. Plus, since each miniboss stole a specific item, the reward for killing any given miniboss is not arbitrary like rewards often are in games such as these.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how Mega man games have been doing it for years.

I liked how in MGS3 you could get additional camos by defeating the Cobras by stamina, that seemed to make some sense (even if they all blew themselves up).
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:

I absolutely agree. The two games aren't structured similarly at all, nor do they need to be. Shadow of the Colossus works because it's only 6 hours long, but if it were 40 hours or more they'd need to have more tools, and if there were more tools it would be overwhelming. I think the problem with comparing the two games is that they're trying two different things. Zelda is all about game design where Shadow of the Colossus is all about the experience of the game. There's some crossover there, but all in all I think trying to walk away with the same thing from each of them is to miss what either of them do well individually.

Well, how about Zelda gives you 10 items from the start instead, then? Seriously, the funnest dungeon in Twilight Princess was the last one because there was no 'how do I do this --> puzzlepuzzlepuzzlepuzzle! ---> oh fuck I obviously need an item I don't have yet' moments. Those moments can suck my dick.

Also to say Zelda and Sotc aren't similarly structured is to say a dog isn't similar to a hound.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Also to say Zelda and Sotc aren't similarly structured is to say a dog isn't similar to a hound.

Look at the title to this thread, man! It compares Metroidvanias and Zeldas, which is a much more apt comparison than Zelda and SotC.

Actually, Metroid and Castlevania might actually work better as the game that you're proposing since you never actually have to actively switch your item list/weapon selection. Starting with all of your abilities and then learning how to use them is a much better design than starting with 30 items you can pick from and forcing the player to figure out what each of them does by going into the subscreen.

Actually, I can think of a game that does this, and this is the game's biggest flaw. That game is A Boy and His Blob. In that game you start out with a full arsenal of jellybeans that you can feed to your blob to get it to do stuff. The problem is you never have any idea what any of the jellybeans do until you get to a place you can use them, and at that point you've just got to experiment with all of them until you find the one you want. It's got a very frustrating beginning, and it's only after you've played it for a while that it takes off.

I can only imagine how frustrated I would have been at the beginning of Twilight Princess if I would have had every item. "I'm shooting the monkey with arrows and he still won't drop the fucking crib! I tried the hookshot, the boomerang, the slingshot, bomb arrows, swimming down below him in my fish suit, everything! I even tried catching him with my fishing rod, and no luck. Oh! You mean I have to pick up a thistle and use the hawk? Ok, cool! Now what do I get for giving the lady back her crib? Hmm, I don't get anything interesting because I already have everything available to me. This game sucks!"

And there you go.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Actually, Metroid and Castlevania might actually work better as the game that you're proposing since you never actually have to actively switch your item list/weapon selection. Starting with all of your abilities and then learning how to use them is a much better design than starting with 30 items you can pick from and forcing the player to figure out what each of them does by going into the subscreen.

Yeah. They're the same thing though. The only difference is the '30' and the 'subscreen' which actually, I never mentioned unless you were taking my using Zelda as a starting point very literally. I'm talking about a game designed from the ground up to accommodate the idea of having all your abilities from the start.

SuperWes wrote:

I can only imagine how frustrated I would have been at the beginning of Twilight Princess if I would have had every item. "I'm shooting the monkey with arrows and he still won't drop the fucking crib! I tried the hookshot, the boomerang, the slingshot, bomb arrows, swimming down below him in my fish suit, everything! I even tried catching him with my fishing rod, and no luck. Oh! You mean I have to pick up a thistle and use the hawk? Ok, cool! Now what do I get for giving the lady back her crib? Hmm, I don't get anything interesting because I already have everything available to me. This game sucks!"

And there you go.

-Wes

Why wouldn't the hookshot, boomerang, slingshot, etc have worked? There's not really any reason for those things to not work in that situation. Also, I'm talking about a hypothetical game that hasn't been made yet, not about doing a romhack on Twilight Princess. Presumably the developers of this game would make it so shooting a monkey with anything in your arsenal would cause it to drop a crib. Also, they certainly wouldn't confuse you by giving so many weapons with so much overlap in functionality. Why would they give you a boomerang, arrows, and slingshot when the hookshot does all of those things?

SuperWes wrote:
Now what do I get for giving the lady back her crib?

This whole 'what do I get' shit is exactly what I'm talking about. In SotC you get jack-shit all the way through. You get to play the game, that's what you get. And In SotC, that's enough! We don't need incentives to keep playing. We just need the game we're playing to be fun enough that we'll want to keep playing.

SotC and Zelda really aren't that different. The difference is Zelda keeps adding shit with each new installment when SotC and Ico showed us they really should have been cutting back.
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All SotC did was expound on the really simple to create something really extraordinary. Running, jumping, climbing, slashing, shooting arrows... they're all really simple things. That we do those simple things and destroy 16 colossi really puts things in perspective. It's not a matter of "do we add or do we subtract" it's a matter of having what's there be fucking awesome. Add as much content as you like, Nintendo, just make sure that advantage of what you already have.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Also, they certainly wouldn't confuse you by giving so many weapons with so much overlap in functionality. Why would they give you a boomerang, arrows, and slingshot when the hookshot does all of those things?

That's one of the things I really like about Tomb Raider Legend, it basically adds one tool (but it has multiple uses). It gives you a grapple which can be used to pull things to you, swing from grapple spots and a few other things. It just feels 'elegant'. So why do we need boomerang arrows and slingshot when you could just use an Indy-style whip / grapple? (Ooh, I'd like to see a game really built around this idea-- Tomb-Raider meets Umihara Kawase?).

I've said it before, why do we need games with twenty different weapons? When two will do?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
That game is A Boy and His Blob.

Oh man, I always wanted to play that game from a ten minute demo I played at the mall one time, but when I finally did I didn't like it ;_;
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm not a smart enough gamer for SotC. Even on the first guy, I have too much trouble seeing the handholds for me to enjoy it (I'm not a very smart puzzley kind of thinker, alas. Actually, my new housemate is interesting, he has a very good gamer intuituion, but almost likes to spectate as much as play, so we might make a good team on stuff like that.)

As for the whole Zelda/Metrovania thing...

Maybe I'm justa big old heap of "not getting it"ness, but in a post GTA-world, the kind of blatnant "this microcosm was specifically designed for this character to be able to get around in" of these games bugs me more.

Which of all 3 series probably has the least of that? Has the best plausible 'living breathing" effect?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Oh man, I always wanted to play that game from a ten minute demo I played at the mall one time, but when I finally did I didn't like it ;_;

This is a pretty good symbol for the whole "starting with every item" thing we're talking about above. We think we want to play it, but we probably wouldn't like it if we actually did.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a boy and his blob isn't a game you should just fire up in an emulator without reading any documentation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is too obvious to be said, but Zelda has remained a highly structured game experience while Metroid becomes more fluid with each iteration. You don't really think of Metroid as being separated into stages or bosses, and lately games like Fusion have intentionally destroyed their own implied opening structures. Zelda mostly remains the same. Twilight Princess thrusts out from that truth a bit, but never seriously diverges from its obvious stage-by-stage structure.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this:

Shapermc wrote:
In the 3D games of these three franchises you will get a much more similar feel to them. The main separation is their atmosphere and mechanics, but overall they have similar perspectives, progression, and lock/key systems.

You know that the original 3D Zelda used a heavily modified verison of the original 3D Mario's engine?

I have a feeling that all 3D games are eventually going to be very samey feeling. What will be different will be the context and rulesets, but eventually they'll all start feeling very similar, too. Maybe it's because our vocabulary and our familiarity with 3D games is becoming broader while our understanding is becoming much, much deeper. Maybe it's because all 3D games are as similar to each other as all 2D games.

An example: Zelda TP feels very Metroid/Resident Evil when you get the bow and arrow. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt if they expanded on that feeling.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Oh! You mean I have to pick up a thistle and use the hawk? Ok, cool! Now what do I get for giving the lady back her crib? Hmm, I don't get anything interesting because I already have everything available to me. This game sucks!"

What you should have is a game where almost all of the quests link into each other. Ie. You save a baby only to have goblins ride into the village and kidnap him and a few others. Then when you go to rescue them you meet some people who tell you about something important.Which leads to another interesting sequence. All the gameplay should run hand in hand with the story.
Kipple

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Maybe I'm justa big old heap of "not getting it"ness, but in a post GTA-world, the kind of blatant "this microcosm was specifically designed for this character to be able to get around in" of these games bugs me more.

That, for me, was the main problem with the later half of Twilight Princess. When the items you're rewarded with only affect specific obstacles that were put there to justify needing the item... it just sucks the fun right out of the game.

Take, for example, the spinner, the dominion rod, and the double clawshot. Those items are near-completely useless outside their respective dungeons. And within the dungeons, they're only useful at obvious junctures, when you come across an annoyingly contrived obstacle... like a spinner track, or a statue, or a series of peahats hovering across a ravine.

I have no problem with the game design structure of earning items that act as keys to enter previously unreachable areas... but when it's so extremely blatant, and the items so useless otherwise, it grates. On the other hand, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are extremely blatant about their obstacles—they color-code the doors so you know exactly what you need to collect before exploring further. Yet even though that's so blatant, it's somehow more appealing than Zelda's method, because the items themselves (missiles, super missiles, ice beam, fire beam, etc) are useful in the game world, and fun to use.

I guess what I'm saying here is that Twilight Princess feels like the designers ran out of interesting and useful items to give Link halfway through, but kept designing dungeons anyway.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
You save a baby only to have goblins ride into the village and kidnap him and a few others. Then when you go to rescue them you meet some people who tell you about something important.Which leads to another interesting sequence. All the gameplay should run hand in hand with the story.

This is pretty much exactly what happens...

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Oh! You mean I have to pick up a thistle and use the hawk? Ok, cool! Now what do I get for giving the lady back her crib? Hmm, I don't get anything interesting because I already have everything available to me. This game sucks!"

What you should have is a game where almost all of the quests link into each other. Ie. You save a baby only to have goblins ride into the village and kidnap him and a few others. Then when you go to rescue them you meet some people who tell you about something important.Which leads to another interesting sequence. All the gameplay should run hand in hand with the story.

No. You just described precisely what we've already got here. We need a complete change in designer mindset to accomodate an interactive medium. What needs to happen is that videogame plots need to stop taking their design direction from linear forms like literature and film. They need to be presented with full player freedom and apparant non-linearity, eliminate conventional "gamey" elements that detract from the player's immersive sense of realism, and implement predictive psychology for player behavior towards the end of making the most dramatic (in the traditional narrative sense) plot sequence the greatest probable first playthrough experience.

Remember this, Ketch, and think about how videogames can be more suited to take advantage of it rather than working with traditional linear narrative design:

Ketch wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:
Yeah, along those lines. See, I'm a fan of the "emergent narrative of the gameplay" concept, which is an awful name for a fairly simple concept, that being that the seqence of events that occur during a session of playing the game is really what the "narrative" of the game is, as opposed to the expository plot or story.

So, assuming this, encountering Colossus 1 before you encounter Colossus 3 is important because you're not going to get the same sense of "oh crap" .

1. Very true, this is what I believe to be the 'story' of games, which is how a player experiences it including all the wrong turns and misinterpretations of the scenarios that that includes. (Which tends to be when our desire for story gets frustrated). I also think that game stories work best in their small moments. Ie. one that happened to me. when you decide to take pity on a female zombie in Dead Rising and get grabbed by others, which mirrors the moments in Zombie movies where a character refuses to kill their now undead (mother/brother/boyfriend etc) and pays the price for not dealing with the situation.

If you think about it, there's a kind of attitudinal correlation between the frequently lamented lock-and-key design and implementation of items such as the ball-and-chain and the railroading plot structure that I, for one, dread in each Zelda game. Zelda as it exists now is a mess of contradictions, and most, if not all, of our issues stem from that reality. The games try to look and feel like a big, open world, but your meaningful actions and, usually, even your exploration of that world are directed in a straight, obviously predetermined line. The arsenal of items you amass are meant to seem suited to a variety of ever-present uses, such as combat or movement through complex landscapes, but they are implemented in lock-and-key fashion.

These two problems are not unrelated, even though we often treat them as such. They come from the same design mindset -- one that, I believe, became outdated around the turn of the century, if not earlier. Regardless of what other games exist and have existed for however long a time, it's just embarassing that AAA titles have yet to recognize and reconcile these obvious contradictions and come to terms with the nature of the medium given how seriously videogame studies and innovative solutions are being taken every day. I think the "This is the last Zelda in its current form" proclamation was due to Aounuma (right?) and Miyamoto finally realizing this.

However, given that Miyamoto belongs to a very old school and has never really changed his basic principles despite adjusting to and pioneering more technologically advanced forms, I don't hold much hope for any renovation of the series. By the time they come around with the new Zelda, it will likely have been usurped by other games in the wake of Shadow of the Colossus, anyway, so if they don't get things really right with their next attempt, I feel that a lack of consumer attention may yield Zelda's downfall. We'll just have to see what happens in a couple of years. The developers' first-party advantage with the Wii may make all the difference if the design fails to progress, so the situation probably isn't as dire as all that.
grumbel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
They need to be presented with full player freedom and apparant non-linearity,

Practically speaking full player freedom just doesn't work at the moment, theoretically you could of course have some super clever game-master AI that invents interesting situation no matter what crazy stuff the player does, but so far we aren't even close to that. For the moment I think it would be enough to give the player an actual reason to go on with his current quest.

The beginning of Zelda:TP is awful, since you are just dropped into a completly arbitrary quest without any reason why. It totally misses a proper introduction of the characters, their situation, the role of the hero and pretty much everything. There simply wasn't a reason to do what one had to do, beside it being the only doable thing in the first place and that is what annoys me, not the linearity in itself. Give me or the character a good reason to do what has to be done and I can live with it. Previous Zeldas did a much better job with this than TP.

In the end I think the biggest problem was simply that the job the player had to do was the opposite of what most players wanted to do. In the whole beginning for me it was like "Just give me the f***ing horse and let me out of here, its Links free day after all", instead Link was locked up in that small village.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

This is a pretty good symbol for the whole "starting with every item" thing we're talking about above. We think we want to play it, but we probably wouldn't like it if we actually did.

After getting involved in some silly fanboy disputes on AtariAge.com, I started thinking about the Wii Virtual Console, and how they seem to be slowly doling out the games, and it occured to me that that's a bit akin to the whole Zelda vs Boy in his Blob.

I know that it seems a lot harder to give new games sufficient attantion when you get a whole batch of ROMs all at once...
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:

No. You just described precisely what we've already got here. We need a complete change in designer mindset to accomodate an interactive medium. What needs to happen is that videogame plots need to stop taking their design direction from linear forms like literature and film. They need to be presented with full player freedom and apparant non-linearity, eliminate conventional "gamey" elements that detract from the player's immersive sense of realism,

Kind of like this then:

Quote:
Kristan Reed http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71320

Hitman Blood Money
Kristan:
Now, here's a game I didn't expect to love, but, in fact, it has turned Hitman into one of my personal favourite gaming series. Another game that puts choice front and centre in terms of the experience, it's sometimes hard to even know what this game is. Is it stealth? Action? Shooter? Adventure? Puzzle game? All of the above? Whatever, it's wonderfully executed, and one of those games you can keep on coming back to and trying it in different ways. In fact, probably the things that stands out about it and makes it unique among modern games is the slow burning realisation that actually knowing how each level works gives you more incentive to try things differently. Whereas most games work on the principle of surprise and unravelling the story, Blood Money is the game that keeps on giving as you try and plot the perfect path through each playground set piece

And on Oblivion
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71322&page=2

Kristan: Oblivion blew me away like no other game this year. I don't recall any other game giving me so many possibilities at once, and allowing me to forge my own path - all of which I wanted to do at the same time. I really couldn't give a flying fig about the perceived flaws with the level-up system, because - to be honest - I didn't even notice. I was too busy wandering around this vast, beautiful world, going off on one fascinating quest after another and shaping the game around what I wanted to do, rather than the other way around. So much of what this game offered was breathtakingly well executed, feeling more like a grand realisation of what an adventure game should be in 2006. People should get away from the tired notion of pigeon holing it in to the "rat punching" RPG category, because Oblivion is so much more than a game about slaying goblins and gaining XP. It's a game about freedom and possibilities, and one that offers so many hours of entertainment, it feels ungrateful to nitpick. The 360's finest hour so far, and the best reason to own the machine in my opinion.

Bold is my added emphasis on his words.

However, I would add that I think the notion of freedom as the main thrust of story-led RPGs isn't the best way to do it. Freedom to experiment and improvise is good BUT I think that we also need to put the character in a situation where they are compelled by 'fate' to play along to an extent. Ie. Like how in Shadow of the Colossus it allows you to try to get away from the tentacles --but you can't. Or in Shadow of Destiny (Shadow of Memories) you are trying to stop your own death(s) which has already happened at a specific time and place. This way we can get more emotional resonance out of games, like if it is really difficult to save the Princess from being killed--- but we can do it with enough thought, but say, the Queen gets kidnapped instead because they couldn't get the Princess. This invevitability / irreversability is important to 'tragedy'. Or how in Zelda: Majora's Mask you don't HAVE to save the world, but it will be destroyed if you don't. I don't think that tragedy is the way to go in the overall game plots, but adding tiny tragic choices could add a bit of spice to the sub-plots.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly stayed away from this discussion, but would like to add that Pikmin does a fine job with the inevitability aspect that Ketch just discussed. A fine job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: