The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

plan the electronic entertainment portion of my week off!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: plan the electronic entertainment portion of my week off! Reply with quote

hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

so i'm done with classes, and i have a week off, and once i finish making truffles this weekend my professional obligations will have been discharged. which is pretty great, but since i already beat the fear expansion (twice), i realized i have nothing to play. well, nothing i'm interested in anyway. (i will be revising my for trade list shortly, since some folks who expressed interest are no longer expressing) well, ok, i have some work to do for my thesis project, which was officially stamped a-ok and registered, and i have to go to the ballet next week (don't ask) but other than that i should have loads of free time and a crapload of gonzales v. raich and want to zonk out with some groovy-ness.

any ideas? pc? eh? if i liked rts games i'd be in heaven i imagine, but i don't so instead i dwell in hell.

and the first person to suggest get a wii gets a mushroom shaped wii-print on their forehead. with love, but still. actually, i believe that's impossible anyway round these parts as they're all sold out.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ever play Black? How about Rainbow Six: Vegas? Both of those would be good.

I'd also like to hear your impressions of Prey. I like it a lot more than most other people I've met.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears of War.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, actually I think the 360 would be a great system for you if you've got the money. The Japanesey nature of the PS3 means it won't ever have anywhere near as many of the game genres you like (American shooting), and, well, you already dismissed the Wii, but it won't ever really appeal to you either.

So yeah, get a 360 with Gears of War and Xbox Live!

There's a $100 rebate at Microcenter right now, and there's a Microcenter in Long Island... Do it!

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
American shooting

the xbox 360: for people who like to shoot americans.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Oblivion? More Morrowind? There are probably loads of decent-to-good mods out there that you either never played in the first place or have come out since you finished with either title.

EDIT: Hey, that Left Behind game!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the xbox 360: for people who like to shoot americans.

and have sex! don't forget that! (oddly enough, i'd feel a lot better about shooting americans in a game than other ethnicities. guidos would be prime though. a fpg - first person guecher)

prey was interesting. i like the doom 3 engine a lot, and it wasn't a bad game despite my misgivings about the ethnic setpieces/environment. i had fun playing it while i played it, but i don't think it has replay value persay. i may decide to give it another shot.

there's too much overlap on the 360 and pc for me to get one; there's nothing that's 360 only that i can think of off the top of my head. and no, i've never played gears of war (i liked the commercial though, with the wussy song and the giant insect thing).

black, however, i will pick that up. there's some use left in the ps2 outside of replaying katamari levels while on the upright bike. i thought the vegas demo / promos looked neat, but the tom clancy method of gameplay, as i disovered recently, is nearly as lame as tom clancy's understanding of international relations. so i think that's been wiped from the slate of possible.

i might try to get real good at gigawing. i've gotten to the 5th stage on one credit once (score was 12 trillion or whatever, it's a big 12xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx something something) dragon blaze is just too irritating.

micro center is a great place to overhear conversations that make your soul cry. it's also good for picking up parts, if that's your sort of thing, and has a decent software deal now and then.

anyway, i know i'm a pain in the ass and all but i appreciate any and all thoughts. i was blanking this afternoon h4rdkor3.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i thought the vegas demo / promos looked neat, but the tom clancy method of gameplay, as i disovered recently, is nearly as lame as tom clancy's understanding of international relations. so i think that's been wiped from the slate of possible.

I approve of this statement!

Dhex: Gears of War is like Rainbow Six (and a few other Clancy games) with out being so damn lame.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and i will be testing a wii on the 30th of this month, at a friend's new year's eve eve party, which i shall approach with an open mind (drowning in alcohol, probably, and maybe some marinol if his friend who had spinal cancer is around, etc) and no doubt be at least somewhat entertained.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i thought the vegas demo / promos looked neat, but the tom clancy method of gameplay, as i disovered recently, is nearly as lame as tom clancy's understanding of international relations. so i think that's been wiped from the slate of possible.

What does this mean? And what is it based on? The demo's pretty much what the real game plays like.

Shapermc wrote:
I approve of this statement!

You haven't tried the demo of this or Ghost Recon, so your opinion seems to be founded on the fact that it has a military setting. Granted, you still might not like it since you seem to put an unhealthy emphasis on story in games, but it's still really, really good at what it does. I haven't liked any other Rainbow Six games at all and admittedly couldn't get past the first level of the Xbox iteration, but I love what I've played of this one. It's a tactical version of Gears of War, with a better cover system. Good shit.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played a few slots of some various rainbow six games and became convinced they were not for me. specifically lockdown. it might be good for a console shooter, but they're not very good for a dedicated platform.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

i might try to get real good at gigawing. i've gotten to the 5th stage on one credit once (score was 12 trillion or whatever, it's a big 12xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx something something) dragon blaze is just too irritating.

If you can lay hands on it, try to find Mars Matrix. It's another Takumi-developed shooter with a bit more of a Cave-esque multiplied scoring system. I found GigaWing to be not bad, just pretty generic--1945 with 16-digit hiscores.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i played a few slots of some various rainbow six games and became convinced they were not for me. specifically lockdown.

Try the Single Player Vegas PC Demo (assuming there is one). It's very different from what the series has done in the past. I never tried Lockdown, but seeing how quickly it went down in price I would assume it just sucked. Ignoring that though, I don't really consider Ghost Recon 3 or Rainbow Six:Vegas to be part of either of their respective series lineages. They have more in common with each other than they do with any of the past titles in either series, and (in single player mode at least) are up there with Gears of War as shining representations of what this generation of consoles are capable of (I would assume they're probably also pretty good on PC).

Contrast this with the new Splinter Cell, which is so bloated in its attempt to expand on its series lineage while adding new things that it drowns in overcomplexity.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Mars Matrix

Seconded. It's my favorite shooter ever!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You haven't tried the demo of this or Ghost Recon, so your opinion seems to be founded on the fact that it has a military setting.

Based on the video's I've seen of GRAW and what I have played of previous Tommy Clancy games I have absolutly no interest at all in them. They suck.

SuperWes wrote:
you seem to put an unhealthy emphasis on story in games

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Why shouldn't I? When the play mechanics of a game suck ass, or there is no challenge at all aside from staying awake, what else is there to put emphasis on?

SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
you seem to put an unhealthy emphasis on story in games

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Why shouldn't I? When the play mechanics of a game suck ass what else is there to look at?

Because games just don't have good stories, and really don't need to. And when the mechanics of a game suck ass you shouldn't bother to play it at all anyways.

Here's a quote from my friend that's mostly on the topic, but kinda dances around it:

I thought about all the elements I've ever wanted (or thought I wanted) from games, and how they can be had much more easily, much more proficiently, from books and movies.

So now, newly enamoured with movies and books that I hadn't given a chance before, I feel both satisfied in my quest for narratives and free to look at games in a whole new light. It sounds silly, but it was very liberating.

So then I thought about what kinds of games I do like, and which utilize the medium in a way no other can to provide a unique, valuable experience.

It's my opinion that the best game stories are adequate at best and offensive at worst. Some games might have good storytelling, but in the end the stories they tell just aren't all that great, and it's because we have such an appreciation for the form that they seem good in the first place.

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys if the wii can win over dhex it will be a real christmas miracle.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lockdown does indeed suck hard.

i guess vegas and something like fear - which is a pretty console-friendly shooter, right? - are both about killing shit in awesome explody ways, but the whole tom clancy feel is just not really my thing. the more i see it in action, the more it seems kinda plasticky. i don't have a good explanation of what that means, outside of a certain kind of stylistic divide that's being lost as cross development becomes more common. it's not only that, i like my explody shit with a loose plot and good (read: appropriate) voice acting. i'm just not willing to go that x-tra x-treme x-box mile, aka the mountain dew (a)x-is of snowboarding down the side of stuff on fire.

it may very well be a line that exists only in my head.

i sincerely hope, for example, that assassin's creed is awesome, but i won't be overly surprised if things don't translate that well between platforms and the pc gets the short end of the stick. to use an obvious example, you see some of this with the first and second deus ex games. while there is more to the differences on the second (rushed schedule, etc) one of the main factors is adjusting a 35+ input system (with certain graphic and technical capacities) with an 8 to 10 input system (with fixed graphic and technical capacities). unfortunately, because the pc base is smaller, they're going to lose out in many regards. i'm sure stuff that goes in the opposite direction - ports of pc games - suffer in similar ways. there are things you can do with two sticks that is much harder to do with a mouse and keyboard combo (though if it works, i would likely try to play assassin's creed with my dualshock before trying the keyboard/mouse combo.)

anyway, i will probably try a 360 at some point and will report back then. though it would be neat to go through a whole console generation without ever actually touching any of them, in the same way not having a cell phone is neat.

yes mister toups, there is a santa dhex. (maybe)

or maybe not!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex have you ever played either of the Freedom Force games?

also are Wiis hard to get now? I stood in line at Nintendo World for 25 minutes two days after launch. No problems at all there.
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could review EVE during your week off.

Free trial and all that.

I've never played a MMOG and have no intention of doing so.

It looks beautiful, I just want to know if it's tardified.

Does anybody know of a space game with real(ish) physics?
(Aside from Lunar Lander.)
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see you play Shiren emulated on your PC. Or maybe go to China Town and learn how to play Third Strike.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I'm going to end this converstion because by your justification I shouldn't play most games.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wes, I'm going to end this converstion because by your justification I shouldn't play most games.

Sometimes I wonder why you do play games. Movies seem to do what you look for in games so much better.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except movies are boring and take too frigging long.

simplico: i have not played freedom force. but...i'm not a comic book guy so the aesthetic kinda grosses me out; is it worth looking past that, or is it a sort of thing that's laden with in jokes about comics?

Quote:
I'd really like to see you play Shiren emulated on your PC. Or maybe go to China Town and learn how to play Third Strike.

shiren is that roguelike, right?

i don't know what third strike is.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
except movies are boring and take too frigging long.

But Matt's really into movies (for obvious reasons previously stated in this thread) and I think games just edge them out slightly in his favor.

dhex wrote:
simplico: i have not played freedom force. but...i'm not a comic book guy so the aesthetic kinda grosses me out; is it worth looking past that, or is it a sort of thing that's laden with in jokes about comics?

Haven't played Freedom Force 2, but the first one is an RTS, which pretty much means you won't like it based on something you said here. I kinda liked it when you start off and have a single character to play as, but as soon as they add the second one in and it becomes allz about the resource management I decided it wasn't for me.

Quote:
i guess vegas and something like fear - which is a pretty console-friendly shooter, right? - are both about killing shit in awesome explody ways, but the whole tom clancy feel is just not really my thing. the more i see it in action, the more it seems kinda plasticky. i don't have a good explanation of what that means, outside of a certain kind of stylistic divide that's being lost as cross development becomes more common. it's not only that, i like my explody shit with a loose plot and good (read: appropriate) voice acting. i'm just not willing to go that x-tra x-treme x-box mile, aka the mountain dew (a)x-is of snowboarding down the side of stuff on fire.

It's really strange that people keep lumping together the Tom Clancy games itt. Disliking Rainbow Six because of Tom Clancy is like disliking Metal Gear Solid because of Motosada Mori. He's basically a brand name whose only role in the game development is to make sure that all of the military stuff is grounded in reality. He's basically the Madden to EA's NFL Football series. It means nothing, and disliking a Tom Clancy game doesn't mean you'll dislike them all.

Anyways, you couldn't be more wrong about the explody shit assessment of Rainbow Six. Paying attention to the field of shooters lately I've learned that there are basically two types of shooters. There's the Run n' Gun type and the Stop n' Pop type. Rainbow Six is mostly a Stop n' Pop, meaning you're in cover most of the time. Like Gears of War, this changes the way you play the game - making it more about environment awareness and squad tactics than aiming proficiency.

Anyway, I really do suggest that both you and Shaper try the demo.

PRE-POST EDIT: Scratch that, there is no PC Demo apparently. That's trash. Oh well. Matt, you should still try the demo!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dislike the rainbow six series - or am inclined to dislike it - because everything i've touched or seen from that series is 2nd lieutenant wacky mc wackwack, ret.

most single shooters, on higher difficulties, become stop and pop by default anyway. which is why i keep pushing fear. run and gun in that game beyond the easiest difficulties will kill your ass dead. also, it's totally awesome. anyway, i think i'm gonna go buy black today and start there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i dislike the rainbow six series - or am inclined to dislike it - because everything i've touched or seen from that series is 2nd lieutenant wacky mc wackwack, ret.

See, I used to feel the same way, but I'm not sure that sharing a name really makes it part of the same series. The first Rainbow Six on PC had you spend 20 minutes staring at a map of the level, setting up a strict plan of attack to accomplish a mission, then put you down in an FPS game to follow through with the mission yourself. I hated it with a passion. It was slow, ugly, and reeked of overcomplicated PC-Game .

After that I avoided the series like the plague because I assumed it was all the same bullshit, then a friend of mine bought Rainbow Six 3 for the Xbox. I tried it out at his place and kind of liked it. It was much more action oriented than the old one and much more mechanically sound. I picked it up later when it went down in price, but apparently I never figured out how to play it right because I could never make it past the first level.

My next armyish game was Full Spectrum Warrior, which I actually really like a lot. It's a console RTS game where you have two squads that you can switch back and forth between to set up situations where one of your teams is keeping the enemy under cover while your second team goes in for the attack. It's probably the only RTS I've ever liked, because it's incredibly focused and strategic without any of the bullshit micromanagement. Apparently a lot of the people who picked it up were disappointed that it wasn't a first person shooter even though it's set in the same environment as most other first-person shooters. It's a brilliant game that's not at all the game it was marketed to be, and suffered due to peoples perceptions of it being different from what it really was.

Anyway, apparently I wasn't the only one to think Full Spectrum Warrior was awesome, because pretty much every army game I've played since has taken its gameplay concepts and fixed the complaints by turning one of your squads into an FPS-style game.

Rainbow Six: Vegas is one of these games. It's both a strategy game and a shooting game at the same time that gives you the freedom to focus on either side of that coin. Ghost Recon 3 is essentially the same game, but it's even heavier on the strategy end, which explains why it's played from the third person perspective rather than the first. What Vegas brings to this formula is the whole "Vegas" thing, which allows for interesting city environments that feel like real places rather than the boring shooting at Arabs in the desert thing that most other army games go for.

Vegas is extremely pretty, has a surprisingly good story that is told mostly before missions, but occasionally within missions, and has some neat scripted events that add the Hollywood blockbuster feel. In the demo there's a fight on top of a casino that features a huge bell. During the battle you can shoot the bell and make it ring, which is pretty neat, but eventually you move on by rappelling down into the attic of the Casino. As you make your way down the stairs toward the Casino floor, the Bell from above comes loose and crashes down through the floor next to you, sending up puffs of dirt, and making a huge hole in the ground. It doesn't really add anything to the game, but it's somehow extremely exciting. That might be what you were talking about with the console-like explosions, but it's one of those things that makes the game more than it could be.

I really hated the original Rainbow Six (which Matt inexplicably has for the Dreamcast and sort of liked at one point), but the series has evolved into a game that I actually really like. The only things it has in common with its predecessor are the perspective it's played from and a basic concept of a mixture between Strategy and FPS. Beyond that, everything's changed. It's worth taking a look at even if you have no interest in the previous games in the series. It's much, much better than what I've played of F.E.A.R. (the demo that was on XBL), and for some reason a lot of people like that game, so it's worth giving a shot. Check it out!

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

shiren is that roguelike, right?

Yeah it's a roguelike. It's also pretty good. And it's pretty far from what I imagine you'd normally enjoy. So it'd be interesting to see if you like it. If possible, get a USB converter for a controller before you play it.

Also, Third Strike is Street Fighter 3. It's like super hyper geeky. And I'd imagine if you played it at CTFair with maybe Sub from the Select Button forums then... you'd have something to write about. Or fuck, try out Virtua Fighter 4: Evo (is 5 out here in the states?)

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i indeed have a usb-->ps2 controller adapter. i will search for said shiren.

Quote:
It's much, much better than what I've played of F.E.A.R. (the demo that was on XBL), and for some reason a lot of people like that game, so it's worth giving a shot.

i mean,

1) what?
2) a bell? ooh, a bell falls out of a window! oooh! wow! welcome to 1998, xbox fans!
3) heh, i'm just fucking with you.
4) on a more serious note, i really have to wonder what the hell you're talking about though. fear is awesome. you can replay the same fucking scene 3 times and everything's different. the ai is actually good. it's actually fucking good. (the ghosts are annoying, but i think that's the point)
5) it is likely we value different things in a shooter, or have wildly different benchmarks.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhex, I seriously think you would dig the hell out of Gears of War.

Anyways, I'm pretty interested to see your opinion of FPS games on the Wii.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhex, play Final Fantasy XII.

I think you'll really like Black. It does the things exploding thing very well.

This thread reminds me that I need to play FEAR. I can get behind any game that produces footage that you can sync up with Venetian Snares.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
5) it is likely we value different things in a shooter, or have wildly different benchmarks.

It's also possible that you're basing your opinion of a good game on your experience with a bad one, using an above average one as a benchmark.

I mean, review scores don't necessarily mean anything, but it's worth pointing out.

Also: I second the FFXII recommendation.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding FFXII. Also recommending Silent Hill 4.
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Final Fantasy XII is better than Shiren when it isn't worse. Even though they're pretty much the same game.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was gamestopcockblocked on black (they had a copy on the shelves, but no dice in the sleeves) but no one asked me to preorder or anything so it was ok overall. i will try again tomorrow.

i also realized i've never played diablo. i don't think i'm going to rectify that, however.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Diablos are Decently Good. They get to Really Good if you have a bunch of friends over and can network your PCs and have a party running around together (especially since you can use your single-player characters over a LAN).

And player 2, you're going to have to explain how the hell Shiren is "the same game" as Final Fantasy XII, even though you said that just to get somebody to ask and now I'm falling into your trap.
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both dungeon hacks?

_Marcel Duchamp
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, so's Diablo then.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You played the Marathon series yet?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the day, i did. i haven't tried out the pc shell ports yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

operation flashpoint
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i also realized i've never played diablo. i don't think i'm going to rectify that, however.

Don't bother with Diablo or Diablo II when you can play Titan Quest instead. It's like what Diablo III would be if it dealt with Greek mythology and had visuals that were up-to-date with current games.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always did wonder what Titan Quest was about since a gent at GameStop handed me an artbook some months back. Calling it Diablo III has aroused my interest!

Tell me more! Is there multiplayer? Can I re-assign my points if I change my mind unlike Diablo, where regret settles in 50 levels into the game?

What are the system reqs? I hope they're light!
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
back in the day, i did. i haven't tried out the pc shell ports yet.

Might be worth another go, then.

The Operation: Flashpoint collection is worth getting cheap. It's the most ambitious military simulation to date, made all the more accessible thanks to its controls being simple. It's just as easy to manoeuver a tank as it is to command one or even order armies around.

And how familiar are you with Jordan Mechner's games and point and click adventure titles? And if anyone else around here knows, is there somewhere to get the The Prisoner game?

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Don't bother with Diablo or Diablo II when you can play Titan Quest instead. It's like what Diablo III would be if it dealt with Greek mythology and had visuals that were up-to-date with current games.

What about Throne of Darkness? That one any good?
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan Quest is nice, but it's heavy on the system requirements, kinda buggy, and not as fast as good ol' D2X.

Dhex, I think the Diablo Battle Chest is like $30 now. It's Diablo, Diablo 2, and the Expansion. I recommend it.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all, well, i picked up black finally and it seemed about right as i got to play it for about 20 minutes. but my wife sprained her ankle this afternoon so my vacation has pretty much been planned for me.

thanks anyway!
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you finally picked up Black, which everyone around here who's played it has been trying to get you to do for the past year.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd rise this thread up from its grave because of some semi-related, fucked up WTF Japan-style news that dhex should appreciate.

Check out these review scores from this week's Famitsu.

360 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - 9,9,9,9 (36/40)
DS - Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - 9,8,7,8 (32/40)

How insane is it that Rainbow Six scored higher than Final Fantasy XII for the DS? An American 360 game no less! A Clancy game! What the hell is going on here!

This is strange too:

360 - Test Drive Unlimited - 9,8,9,8 (34/40)

What the hell is going on! Japan is turning into America-lovers!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
What the hell is going on! Japan is turning into America-lovers!

They enjoy the large size in the tight fit.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since this has been resurrected...

Quote:
Well, at least you finally picked up Black, which everyone around here who's played it has been trying to get you to do for the past year.

yeah i didn't care for it much. bad controls, not much of an fps. the cutscenes were absolutely ace, however.

i never played rainbow six vegas. dunno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: