The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now you're cooking, mama!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Now you're cooking, mama! Reply with quote

Dess has been playing Cooking Mama DS which has recently sparked my interest in the game again. I think Mama is the most endearing video game character ever, and it's all so cute that even when I don't sautee the onions correctly, I don't feel bad because she is there for me with her firey burning eyes of determination.

There's a Wii version called Cooking Mama: Cook Off with a trailer you can watch here.

I don't like how Mama got all "me ruv you rong time" engrishy all of a sudden, but she has a voice now(!) and I can't deny that Make food, not war is not catchy.

Otherwise this will probably be much like Trauma Center in that it's better on the DS, but I'm most likely going to get it anyway.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooking Mama is sweet. I am shit at peeling carrots.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am very much enjoying cooking mama. she's just delicious. i've heard complaints that the game is too videogamey to be a cooking tutorial, but that's not an issue for me because i can't eat nearly the game's entire itenerary of dishes. making meatballs in cooking mama is, for me, the same as shooting geemers in metroid: since i'll never do it, i can accept the abstraction with which the game implements it.

i've also heard complains (from andrew toups) that the game suffers for lack of a larger context (i.e. a whole bunch of zombies are going to show up in half an hour and if we don't have a banquet of food ready for them to eat they'll eat our brains instead!). i find it refreshing that the game is about nothing less humble than making food in mama's kitchen. judging by the rest of the ds library, i could easily have seen this been a game where i'd have to read fifteen pages of dialogue about unlocking the flavor orbs to release the plate essence of the meal before every single recipe. i'm glad it isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only suffers from a lack of a larger context if you feel that it has to be more than what it is, kind of like how Afterburner is only just a game where you fly into blue skies and shoot down jets that are trying to shoot you or how Tetris is only a game where you stack blocks and clear rows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: