The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Japanese Pop Culture Scares Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
internisus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Modern Japanese Pop Culture Scares Me Reply with quote

I love Japan. I really, really do. But modern Japanese pop culture scares the hell out of me. Like their TV. Look at it. It's terrifying.

I would say more, but I'm too afraid.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern japanese society scares me.
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ancient Japanese society was scarier, I feel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
ancient Japanese society was scarier, I feel

I'd say modern and ancient Japan are about the same on the "FUCKING FREAK OUT" level.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Japanese Pop Culture Scares Me Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I love Japan. I really, really do. But modern Japanese pop culture scares the hell out of me. Like their TV. Look at it. It's terrifying.

I would say more, but I'm too afraid.

Are you talking about the LOL JAPAN game show clips and weird shit that gets posted to the internet? Because that's like saying all of american culture is like Jackass and Jerry Springer (you could make this argument, I know).
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why people get so upset about what other people are doing on the television. I think the "moral/cultural outrage" center of my brain is broken.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what? If Japs knew us from our TV alone, they'd think us retards as well.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundless xenophobia scares me.

I mean, seriously, how much do you really know about Japanese pop culture? Enough to actually give an example?

I'd go one further than the Jerry Springer analogy and say that if the Japanese judged America by the crazy shit they see on the internet the way that Americans commonly judge Japan, they would think that the majority of Americans regularly dress up in fursuits and fuck plush dolls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I'd go one further than the Jerry Springer analogy and say that if the Japanese judged America by the crazy shit they see on the internet the way that Americans commonly judge Japan, they would think that the majority of Americans regularly dress up in fursuits and fuck plush dolls.

Well there is Kigurumi.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think that Japanese culture, while dramatically different from ours, wouldn't be too hard to adapt to. I remember being underwhelmed by how normal it felt when I visited last year. It wasn't too different from visiting Paris, except as a whole the city smelled better and I didn't see anyone urinating at a subway station while laughing half-insanely to himself mere minutes after asking me for a cigarette.

The biggest difference seemed to be that people kept to themselves more. Even in "lol japan" areas like Akihabara and Shibuya 99% of the people there seemed totally normal. Granted the weird things didn't seem as weird to me since I sort of knew what to expect, but I don't think it's anything that I couldn't adapt to. And yeah, judging a culture by its TV is sort of like judging a person by their record collection -- it's fun to do but it's rarely accurate, plus it makes you an asshole.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yeah, judging a culture by its TV is sort of like judging a person by their record collection -- it's fun to do but it's rarely accurate, plus it makes you an asshole.

i agree, except with the rarely accurate part.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Japanese Pop Culture Scares Me Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Are you talking about the LOL JAPAN game show clips and weird shit that gets posted to the internet? Because that's like saying all of american culture is like Jackass and Jerry Springer (you could make this argument, I know).

ApM wrote:
Groundless xenophobia scares me.

I mean, seriously, how much do you really know about Japanese pop culture? Enough to actually give an example?

I was also trying to articulate something along these lines, but, well, there's nothing more that really needs to be said.[/quote]
klikbeep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gives me the willies constantly, the Japanese pop culture.
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I just watched Fox News (yes, that shit is broadcast all over the world! we don't get any other American news channels, oddly enough) and some MTV the other day...

Forget modern Japanese pop culture!!! Modern American pop culture scares the shit of out me!
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
Forget modern Japanese pop culture!!! Modern American pop culture scares the shit of out me!

Yeah, man, our shit is just as horrifying as theirs (or anybody else's worst, I'd wager).
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, really: what other culture can claim to have the likes of Jack Thompson or even Britney Spears? Talk about scary.
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i originally had a line in the opening post that said basically "well actually american pop culture also scares the shit out of me, but i'm used to that" so there you have it.

and yes, i'm talking about the lol japan game shows and stuff where everything is made of plastic including the people and shiny and covered in powdered sugar and the smiles are so big that i feel like little cuts are developing under their ears and everything is like this happiness showboat. that scares me okay. it scares me just as bad as american tv which is really scary too.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I mean, really: what other culture can claim to have the likes of Jack Thompson or even Britney Spears? Talk about scary.

Try the UK.
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV basically seems to shows off the worst of any culture.

Quote:
and yes, i'm talking about the lol japan game shows and stuff where everything is made of plastic including the people and shiny and covered in powdered sugar and the smiles are so big that i feel like little cuts are developing under their ears and everything is like this happiness showboat. that scares me okay. it scares me just as bad as american tv which is really scary too.

You know what's really scary? Chinese people really LOVE all those LOL JAPAN shows and they've basically replicated all of them in Taiwan (not sure about Hong Kong, but I wouldn't be too surprised). Heck, I think Korea's been influenced enough to have their own LOL KOREA shows too. Singapore's tried, but thankfully failed (I think). The local variety shows here are still pretty obnoxious, but they're not quite in the same league as the Japanese and wannabe-Japanese variety shows.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
TV basically seems to shows off the worst of any culture.

Perhaps, but not as a rule.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared of everything now. Everything, it's better just to go underground, but sadly the mole people would just ruin it for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno man, Japanese pop culture includes Hard Gay. I can't argue with that.

Now North Korean pop culture! Now there's some fuc- oh wait. Do they even have a pop culture?
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, having grown up on (South) Korean television, I'll gladly take Japanese television.

I'll take WACKY JAPPY over American reality shows anyday.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Yeah, having grown up on (South) Korean television, I'll gladly take Japanese television.

I think it's better not watching tv at all, really. :/

I'm sure nothing settles people in more than sitting back and watching some innane version of reality on their televisions after a hard day's work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true Persona-sama, but, and to sound all high and mightly, but I'd like to think my life is interesting enough that I don't need to watch someone else's, and take enjoyment out of seeing how miserable other people are.

I find pretty much all reality shows pretty repulsive. Never mind how they aren't "real", but that's a big factor. Real life is interesting, hence why I love documentaries, but the obvious doctoring, as well as the lust for fame that pretty much every participant embodies drives me nuts. It could be argued that they deserved to be laughed at since they want so bad to be on a pedistal, but I still personally feel awkward about it.

American Idol might be the absolute worst. Yeah, that girl or guy auditioning can't sing, but at least they had the guts to at least try and attain their dream, which many folks won't even try.

Okay, sorry, the ones with washed out celebs are even worse, for obvious reasons.
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:

... the ones with washed out celebs are even worse, for obvious reasons.

I bet Herve Villachez could kick Gary Coleman's ass in a cage match.

They should do an Alternate Dimension movie about Gary Coleman having the same life in another dimension except that nobody writes the screenplay for that particular film in that dimension so "The Other Gary Coleman" goes insane from his life of publicly mocked poverty and starts serial murdering, planting bombs, committing arson wearing a Smokey Bear fetish, etc.
I don't know if it would be just a Gary Coleman "what if" movie (starring Gary Coleman, of course) or if it would be nested so you see the "real" "other Gary Coleman" "really doing things" contrasted against "our" Gary Coleman merely attempting to method-act the role.

and then...
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 1.5 years of Japanese TV . . . some stuff still makes me laugh but I'm sick of most of the crap. I can't wait to watch the American crap again (and the good stuff like Daily Show, Family GUy, etc), and then I'll want to see the Japanese crap again after I get bored of that . . .

The one thing Japan doesn't have is sitcoms. Instead they have like 30 new TV dramas every year. There aren't any Soap Opera's either. Just Samurai Dramas about ancient Japan.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:

Okay, sorry, the ones with washed out celebs are even worse, for obvious reasons.

Any reality TV show with Flavor Flav in it is automatically fine art. Especially since this is the man who once said 'If I sell out, I get the hell out.'

Hasn't Mr. T got a reality TV show now, too? I don't have the same aversion to reality TV as you guys do. In fact I like it. I like Big Brother a lot. Apparently the UK is the only country still running Big Brother, which either means our Big Brother is more cleverly edited and is better produced than other countries', or people in the UK have a higher tolerance for crap.

I hate soaps on the other hand. They are a welt on the face of modern culture! US soaps are ok since they don't even pretend to be any good, so you get characters losing their memory or being secret mermaids, which is great. Anyone with an IQ higher than 1 knows not to watch them and it's all good. UK soaps on the other hand think they are serious dramas, and otherwise smart people often get suckered in by them! It's a sorry state of affairs!
Six

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Hasn't Mr. T got a reality TV show now, too?
Yes. I've only seen a trailer for it, though. It seems like it would actually be kind of depressing to watch! The only thing you really need to see of it is this.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Apparently the UK is the only country still running Big Brother, which either means our Big Brother is more cleverly edited and is better produced than other countries', or people in the UK have a higher tolerance for crap.

We are even worse for Big Brother here, in Australia. We are fucking worse for reality TV in general, it's pathetic. Our television networks are quite happy to play their version of the latest American (s)hit and when that's over they stick on the American version of it. That's fucking excruciating.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I hate soaps on the other hand. They are a welt on the face of modern culture! US soaps are ok since they don't even pretend to be any good, so you get characters losing their memory or being secret mermaids, which is great.

Yeah, passions! The show is basically insane. On another soap I once watched a man wrestle guns away from two terrorists who were holding him hostage.

Mexican soaps are also in a class of their own.

I watched the Mr. T. show once while eating lunch and it was basicallly some sort of self-help motivational type thing with mr. t yelling PITY THE FOOL about ever five seconds. It was pretty terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mexican soaps are also in a class of their own.

As are Indian Hindi-language soaps, which take the general structure (and looniness) of US and Latin American soaps, add a healthy dose of Bollywood song-and-dance, that particularly over-the-top brand of Indian melodrama and completely insane cinematography to create something that's truely awesome to watch.

They're basically completely barmy. Main characters get into horrific car accidents, only to come back from surgery with completely new faces AND bodies, everyone gets kidnapped at least once and the villains & villainesses (who are justifiably far more popular than the hapless heroes) have their own theme songs and fan clubs.

Everyone knows these shows are complete rubbish, but they all watch them obsessively anyway. Kind of like Lost except without the veneer of intelligence that fooled people into thinking it was deep and meaningful (for one season, anyway).
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Apparently the UK is the only country still running Big Brother, which either means our Big Brother is more cleverly edited and is better produced than other countries', or people in the UK have a higher tolerance for crap.

Tolerance isn't the word.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sawtooth"]
Harveyjames wrote:

I watched the Mr. T. show once while eating lunch and it was basicallly some sort of self-help motivational type thing with mr. t yelling PITY THE FOOL about ever five seconds. It was pretty terrible.

Is that a new show with Mr.T?
Or the A-Team?

I had no idea this crap got aired in other countries.

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they did not commit. They promptly escaped a maximum security stockade into the Los Angeles Underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they exist as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...

The MythBusters should test the A-Team contraptions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: