The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Comfort" games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ericb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Blue, blue skies

Whatever happen to those? Always miss'em.

Mr Mustache wrote:
Mega Man 2. It is just an incredibly smooth experience; focused, elegant, and consistantly satisfying.

Right up until the mini-boss in Wiiy's castle, the room with the cannons, it's pretty smooth for me either, some very enjoyable and fluid experience for me. Right up until that mini-boss...

Anyway, most definitely Demon's Crest. Don't know why i almost never hear comments about this one, it's one of Capcom's most beautifully rendered games that i know of.
The use of colors, light/shadow and architectural design to build the atmosphere is just perfect, it's one of the games that made want to be a painter.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that game compared to "Gargoyle's Quest"?

That was close to "comfort gaming" for me on GB, though I think I only played through it 3 or 4 times.

Firebrand was my password for a while.

I actually made an old Win32 program based on how cute Firebrand was in that game... http://kisrael.com/viewblog.cgi?date=2004.11.06 is a java version of what I originally did back in '95 or so, and http://kisrael.com/viewblog.cgi?date=2004.11.10 is a version with graphics ripped from the cart.

Looks like Demon's Crest is less cute though. DId it have levels similar to those in Gargoyle's Quest?
Redd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker. The bright colors, rounded graphics, comic fatmosphere. It just makes me happy. I could run around on Windfall Island all day. It's just so pleasing to the eye and colorful and tasteful. The big blue ocean is also a comforting thing I suppose. It just screams "relaxation" to me at the start up screen. Ahh, blue sky and fresh air. In fact, I think I may play that after beating TP. I've already run through it three times.

~Redd
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redd wrote:
fatmosphere

I hope this isn't a typo, because it's a really great word if it isn't. Even if I have no idea what it could mean.
Redd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Redd wrote:
fatmosphere

I hope this isn't a typo, because it's a really great word if it isn't. Even if I have no idea what it could mean.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gosh. I love my typos. I'm leaving it how it is. :)

Don't take my word, it's copyrighted!
Ericb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
How is that game compared to "Gargoyle's Quest"?

I've known Demon's Crest for years, but i never really heard about previous games up until this year.
I managed to get the other too, but didn't really played a lot until you asked this question, so i gave Gargoyle's a go. I actually liked it a lot (the way the music goes up when you begin a stage feels very immersive).

But yeah, Demon's Crest is in fact a lot less cut. They preserved lots of enemies from Gargoyle's, but gave them slightly more realistic proportions. And it goes for a much darker tone in colors, character design and soundtrack than Gargoyle's, but just not that much. Seems that Capcom really love its colors.

As to the levels, they are obviously bigger and far more detaled, but structurally very similar to Gargoyle's, there's even some amount of backtracking.

By the way, how come no more games in the firebrand series have ever been commented by them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: