The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac v. Windows v. Linux? advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
You could build yourself a desktop PC that is more powerful than the macbook pro for half the price, maxmimum.

you are aware that the macbook pro is a laptop, right

Keep in mind that when you buy from Apple you're also paying for a legit version of a nice commercial operating system. That's not something I typically feel a need for when I build my own computers but it's the only way to get a Mac. Also, I got 200 bucks off my MBP with the student discount, and if you can convince them you're a developer of some sort you can get even more off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Business wrote:

Out of curiosity, how long have you left your machine running in one go? This goes for any and all XP users reading this thread. I myself turn the damn thing off every night. My windows PCs seem to develop demons if I even let them sit still for a while. I never feel quite right on a Windows machine without a good, solid reboot.

Mine has been up for about two weeks now. Its quite solid.
Are you using a lot of questionable software?
running virus scans?

Hello, hi, there are other boot loaders, bootcamp isnt some crazy new fangeld thing.

Also, Psiga, was this refurbished laptop a dual core becasue then victory would be complete.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this powerbook's been on for about a month now. I should probably restart it or at least log out or something to at least flush out the temp files.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
this powerbook's been on for about a month now. I should probably restart it or at least log out or something to at least flush out the temp files.

Yes but Unix systems are designed to not need to be restarted often.

My windows desktop has gone a couple months without being restarted but it's usually inevitable if you are installing/removing software or installing security updates.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking out images of the Aero interface for Vista, I'm reminded of something I've always hated about Windows operating systems: the sense that it determines for me how I organize my files. All that My Documents, My Music, My Videos crap. I hate it. I hate the feeling that it represents an attitude that pervades all aspects of my computer.
oligophagy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on OS X 10.4, my home directory was automatically filled with Documents, Movies, Music, and Pictures folders. They're pretty optional (except Documents because so many applications write stuff there without asking; I typically make a separate folder for actual documents), but same mindset.

internisus wrote:
What do I do if I want the octopus?

It doesn't exist, at least not in any commericial or practical form.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
After checking out images of the Aero interface for Vista, I'm reminded of something I've always hated about Windows operating systems: the sense that it determines for me how I organize my files. All that My Documents, My Music, My Videos crap. I hate it. I hate the feeling that it represents an attitude that pervades all aspects of my computer.

Well, if you hate convenience, UNIX is right up your alley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: