The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac v. Windows v. Linux? advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Mac v. Windows v. Linux? advice Reply with quote

In the near future, I'd like to buy some kind of Macbook or whatever they are calling Mac laptops these days. As I understand it, there are Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and apparantly the difference is like a million dollars, so I could use some help deciding which I really need here. I would want it to have the new OS that's coming out in the Spring. I would need to be able to write, play and edit audio and video, run brand new computer games, have a hundred tabs open at once in browsing wireless internet, do graphic design, make websites, attach peripherals like graphic tablets and barcode readers and scanners, hack the webservers of evil megacorporations, and do all the other awesomely tech-savvy activities that you have probably been doing for years. So do I need the million-dollar model, or is a brand new plain Macbook good enough for me?

The other issue is that I've spent my whole life using Windows. Years ago, I was pretty well aware that many more applications and computer games were compatible with Windows than with Mac OS platforms; is this still the case? In contrast, recently I have come across many attractive programs that are Mac exclusive. I don't know at all what the situation is for games, however. I don't even know, for instance, if I would be able to bring my Steam purchases across.

I am sure that there are Macbook users among us here; do any of you have problems like these?

The reason why I've "decided" on a Mac is that I've never owned one and have been increasingly drawn to Mac-exclusive software and the Tiger OS, as well as the general cleanliness of Mac design and documentation. That may be a somewhat thin reason, though. The other option would be to custom build my own machine, which I think I could learn how to do without completely dying, and use Linux or something. I mean, Linux is really cool, isn't it? I'd turn into an elite coder overnight if I installed Linux, right?

So, you see, I am fairly sheltered and clueless, and any advice would be appreciated.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is the only choice for games; however, recently it became possible to install Windows on Macs.
stotelheim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you ought to try out a linux livecd for a while. Amarok and Kopete are pretty valid reasons to switch from windows and there's always wine if you want to play games.
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stotelheim wrote:
I think you ought to try out a linux livecd for a while. Amarok and Kopete are pretty valid reasons to switch from windows and there's always wine if you want to play games.

I don't know what any of those things are! Why are they valid 'reasons'? Is a linux livecd something I can just test out on this windows machine without actually changing anything?

How is it that Macs can run Windows now? Is that in addition to the Mac OS or on top of it or instead of it?

Can I run Mac exclusive software in linux?
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stotelheim wrote:

How well does wine perform on more recent titles? Can you give me a percentage relative to windows performance, maybe?
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom build a PC (and save a huge amount of money) and put XP on it.

You can make XP look pretty if you want to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Apple switched the manufacturing of it's CPU over to Intel, therefore making it possible to install Windows to it's computer at all.

Apple's computers still ship with their OSX, but if you want you can download a free program called "Bootcamp" to install Windows onto the machine - basically, you partition your drive off and can choose to boot into either from startup.

You will not necessarily be able to run all of the newest and shiniest games on say, a plain old Macbook: even with significant RAM upgrades my girlfriend's Macbook kinda chugged on the lowest setting in HL 2. But, they are a pretty significant upgrade over the last generation of Apple's laptops (pre-intel) and you can play plenty of games that aren't so demanding on them, probably (Sims 2 for instance). I know the Macbook Pro has a little more kick in it's CPU and a better video card, but it's also a lot pricier. As for the current line of Apple desktops: I'm not sure, but they probably benefit quite a bit from not being mobile technology.

it seems like you really like games, though, so unless you are dying to find out what the Mac experience is all about, just build your own computer and get a tech savvy friend to install both windows and linux on it. it's a lot cheaper than being an Apple customer anyway.
stotelheim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live CD means that you just pop a CD in and then you run the OS from the disc without none of that install bullshit getting in the way. You don't like it you just pop that thing the hell out and go about your business.

And hell I can't tell you shit about wine except the fact that I doubt it works as well as a windows install would but maybe there are things that make up for that such as kopete and amarock?
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the plain macbooks don't handle 3D games so well because they've got integrated video cards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestions to build my own machine and install XP and/or Linux sound great, but is there any way that I can run Mac-exclusive applications? What about using bootcamp to have the latest version of OS-X in addition to XP and Linux?
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there is an OSX emulator for that, but it's slow as all hell even on a modern PC, from what I understand.
stotelheim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internesisus while it is true that the mac has some sexy ass applications you need to look into such as beagle, amarok, kopete, konversation, and maybe also swiftfox. Or hell if you've got a nvidia or ati card your your pc computer machine you could run compiz or beryl with AIGLX or XGL and just get some mad chubby effects going on that would make a person with a mac think that his computer basically has put on 50 pounds and also developed an oily complexion and started writing harry potter slash fiction. Also kiba dock is supposed to be just ten kinds of sleek, sexy design so don't you forget it if you decide to do a thing.
crispus attucks jr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of buying a Mac, use the Windows version of Inform (the one that does basically the same stuff while looking a little less cool) and instead of Scrivener invest in a notebook and a bulletin board (the kind that thumbtacks go into). That should save you a couple bucks.
shnozlak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your using it for college get a laptop, unless games are really important.
Mac has like, the best customer service ever, which is important if your getting a laptop, carry it around and dont plan to replace it for awhile.
Macs now run the core2 duos, which is pretty awsome.
Down side of the Mac is you cant customize it much in ordering so you pay for things your not going to use. Like a DVD-9 burner...
The major upside is it runs XP and nix's, however you can use the command line in OSX anyway, so, yeah.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stotelheim wrote:

You should have linux on any computer you make. If you get a mac, triple boot. I'm strictly linux, though.

Oh, and Amarok is cool if you want an iTunes style music app, but Foobar2000 is /still/ the gold standard for 'serious' listening. Fortunately it runs almost perfectly with wine. Using proprietary software does make me feel a little dirty, but my nvidia drivers are binaries anyway so what the hell. I don't see the closed-ness of fb2k contributing to any serious ideological suppression.
grumbel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ee_emm_ecks wrote:
How well does wine perform on more recent titles?

Performance isn't the problem, the problem is that most games will already refuse to install, with a bunch of hacks, cracks, patches and try&error one get some games into a playable state, which might be enough for some people, but Linux really isn't a drop-in replacement for Windows when you want to play games, especially when it comes to non-mainstream ones.

Have a look at http://appdb.winehq.org/ to see what works and what doesn't.

I would recommend a Macbook with Windows/MacOSX dual boot. A Linux live-cd (http://knoppix.com/) is of course worth a try as well, but I am not sure how useful it would be for you.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe has the best suggestion so far

I think linux would make you cry guardian. it certainly made me very sad.
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I don't understand the XP hate. Yeah, blah blah closed source blah blah Micro$oft blah blah. The truth is, since SP2, XP has been damned stable and reliable, and I've yet to have a computer problem that it was responsible for. Compared to the hell that was 95/98, it's a godsend.

What are these amazing Mac-only applications anyway?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a MacBook Pro and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. If you need a laptop, I'd suggest it, but if you don't you should probably build your own desktop.

Intel Macs can dual boot into Windows (using Bootcamp) and run Windows almost natively (sans 3D acceleration) inside OS X using virtualization (Parallels). Parallels actually just released a new beta that can supposedly use your Bootcamp partition, so you could theoretically boot into Windows or use the exact same installation from within Tiger.

Plus, bash!!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

There aren't any.
BalbanesBeoulve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you guy seen those commercials with John Hodgeman? If Guardian wants to do anything remotely creative he NEEDS a mac. PCs are for computer nerds with glasses. I see Guardian more as a messy haired hipster.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the clever thing about that ad is that the actors aren't supposed to represent the users, they represent the computers themselves (by and large the operating systems).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Compared to the hell that was 95/98, it's a godsend

See, that explains your perception. Compared to what we used to work with (95/9Cool, XP seems stable and reliable. But if you have extensive experience with a *nix desktop, you realize that XP is not only far from being adequately stable, it does a lot of things ass-backwards.

I think it was anand-tech, a generally pro-windows site, who said it best when they called Windows XP the "C"-grade operating system. It does juuuust well enough to mostly get the job done.
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a notebook, Guardian? If so, then get a MacBook. I've been using an iBook for almost 4 years and I gotta say, this thing beats every Windows-based notebook I've ever seen for sheer lasting power. Almost all of my friends who got Windows notebooks around the same time as me (freshman year of university, basically) have been forced to retire their notebooks because of some problem or the other, but my iBook's still goin strong.

On the other hand, if you don't need a notebook, forget about the cool Mac apps and just build yourself a PC. You can get yourself a totally awesome config for the amount you'd pay for a MacBook.

Besides it being geeky-cool, why does anyone who's not a programmer on a sysadmin need Linux? I survived 4 years of ComSci at uni without it, though I'll concede that Knoppix is an invaluable rescue tool.

dongle wrote:
But if you have extensive experience with a *nix desktop, you realize that XP is not only far from being adequately stable, it does a lot of things ass-backwards.

Hey my XP's never crashed on me. How much more stable does an OS need to be???
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I mean, I don't understand the XP hate. Yeah, blah blah closed source blah blah Micro$oft blah blah. The truth is, since SP2, XP has been damned stable and reliable, and I've yet to have a computer problem that it was responsible for. Compared to the hell that was 95/98, it's a godsend.

For me, it's not so much that I hate XP as much as I hate Vista. I do not much like this whole idea of DRM. Not one bit.
Perseus wrote:
Besides it being geeky-cool, why does anyone who's not a programmer on a sysadmin need Linux? I survived 4 years of ComSci at uni without it, though I'll concede that Knoppix is an invaluable rescue tool.

Again with the Vista. Were it not for that, I would not care about Linux.

Frankly, I think Microsoft should have just rolled on some 64-bit XP as their "official" offering and called it done for 6-7 years. I mean, it exists! And it works! Why not just use that? I know the answer to that, of course, but that doesn't change my opinion much.
Perseus wrote:

Out of curiosity, how long have you left your machine running in one go? This goes for any and all XP users reading this thread. I myself turn the damn thing off every night. My windows PCs seem to develop demons if I even let them sit still for a while. I never feel quite right on a Windows machine without a good, solid reboot.

Last edited by Mr. Business on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
.brainiac.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all operating systems have much potential for instability, depending on what hardware & software you use with them. it mostly comes down to luck: good combo of OS/hardware/software vs bad combo of OS/hardware/software.

edit: personally, my first winXP comp had major major major stability problems relating to motherboard incompatibility with creative soundblaster live. then it had a few months where it was crashing because of nvidia's nv4_disp.dll file. since then i've built two more winXP computers and they can both easily go for weeks without shutting down or rebooting. with light use & limited selection of programs (internet explorer, AIM, WMP, some A/V editors), but still... weeks & weeks... not bad.

also: linux is a mess. highly customizable and there's a million ways to achieve every goal... but uh, as a point & click home/office OS, it's a mess. regular dudes need a baby OS with limited options and standardized everything, for ease of use and ease of discussing how-to-do-this-&-that with other regular dudes.

Last edited by .brainiac. on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Linux world definitely has a problem with standardization. Using the lab computers here at school every machine has at least 3 programs that are all designed to accomplish the same task. Worse, yet, the one that opens upon double-clicking the file is never the one that I want.
Psiga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
See the clever thing about that ad is that the actors aren't supposed to represent the users, they represent the computers themselves (by and large the operating systems).

I should hope so, since John "PC" Hodgman himself has been a Mac user for about as long as we've been alive.

Anyway: Internisus, I am totally spoiled on laptops these days. I rarely touch the desktop system anymore.

Unless you're actively looking to join the cult of personality, you could get away with a PC and save hundreds. If you skim ubid.com for the right deal on a refurbished bastard, and you'll find one: This refurbished one's decent (the auction will end soon, but don't worry about that). Let's compare it to the entry-level MacBook. Both are 1.8GHz systems.

Here's where the PC wins violently:
PC: $569
Mc: $1,019 (shameful defeat)

PC: 1GB RAM
Mc: 512 RAM (shameful defeat)

PC: 100GB HDD
Mc: 60GB HDD (shameful defeat)

PC: Dual-Layer DVD RW
Mc: DVD read-only, CD RW (shameful defeat)

PC: ATI Radeon 200M
Mc: Intel integrated (half as fast as the already weak 200M, pathetic)

Here's where the Mac wins:
PC: Battery life 2.5 hrs
Mc: Battery life 6 hrs (glorious victory)

PC: Warranty 30 days
Mc: Warranty 1 year (glorious victory, because the PC is refurbished)

PC: <nothing>
Mc: Integrated iSight (how often do you use a netcam?)

PC: 5.4lbs
Mc: 5.2lbs (whatever)

PC: Height 1.53" x Width 13.15" x Depth 9.1"
Mc: Height: 1.08", Width: 12.78", Depth: 8.92" (whatever)

Aside from the battery life, the PC's specs basically eviscerate the Mac. The limited warranty is a big issue, though -- you'd want to get an extended one. The warranties depend from one seller to the next: Some are 30 days, some are 90, and some are a regular full year. Scope out other auctions -- this was just a demonstration.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Business wrote:
Joe wrote:

For me, it's not so much that I hate XP as much as I hate Vista. I do not much like this whole idea of DRM. Not one bit.
Perseus wrote:

Again with the Vista. Were it not for that, I would not care about Linux.

Frankly, I think Microsoft should have just rolled on some 64-bit XP as their "official" offering and called it done for 6-7 years. I mean, it exists! And it works! Why not just use that? I know the answer to that, of course, but that doesn't change my opinion much.
Perseus wrote:

Out of curiosity, how long have you left your machine running in one go? This goes for any and all XP users reading this thread. I myself turn the damn thing off every night. My windows PCs seem to develop demons if I even let them sit still for a while. I never feel quite right on a Windows machine without a good, solid reboot.

A.) We're talking about XP, not Vista.
B.) I turn my computer off once a week or so, and I don't have any XP stability issues.

That said, I used 98 until just before SP2 came out, because I didn't have a PC capable of comfortably running XP (I could've done it, but it would've been sluggish.) I'm fully aware of the issues XP had before SP2, but they don't really apply anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Joe wrote:

There aren't any.

Garageband is kind of neat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Macbook Pro. If shit were made of pure gold, my Macbook Pro would be a pure piece of shit.

The software is pretty great!

Mac OSX is pretty nice!

Et cetera!

I can edit videos while listening to music and recording a podcast, all simultaneously! The podcast, however, has to be about listening to music while editing videos, or else the software gets confused, I think.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

108 wrote:

I can edit videos while listening to music and recording a podcast, all simultaneously! The podcast, however, has to be about listening to music while editing videos, or else the software gets confused, I think.

I can do this while running Oblivion.

That said, desktop.

Also, this cost me $600 to build.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the other thing about laptops: The entry-level MacBook and refurb Presario that I showed above would both choke to death on something of Oblivion's caliber. They'd probably even cough and twitch on 1280x720 h.264 files. So take that into consideration. Cheap laptops are not 3D gaming and HDTV machines.

But lemme put it this way: Rather than spend $1200 on an upgraded MacBook that isn't shit, I'd recommend $600 on a PC portable laptop that's just as good, and $600 on a PC workstation desktop that's vastly more powerful.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems like I should build my own xp/linux desktop with gaming first in mind and get a macbook for creative purposes. It doesn't sound like there is an effective compromise. However, I suppose that I should make the effort to learn Linux and customize XP before I decide whether or not I really need that Mac besides.
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the problem with Macs: they are very, very expensive. You could build yourself a desktop PC that is more powerful than the macbook pro for half the price, maxmimum. If you can stomach that pill, yeah, OSX and it's suite of creative programs are nice (and essential for professionals in several fields), but if you can't, there is nothing cheaper and more versitile than a self made PC.
km

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a pretty avid linux user over here. I use it when I actually want to get some work done.

However! I must point out that cygwin is available for windows, which adds a nice suite of *nix-y tools. Or, you can go the Services For UNIX route direct from Microsoft.

If you want to head down the linux path, Ubuntu is pretty much the pinnacle of ease-of-use and install. Kubuntu gives you Ubuntu with a different graphical frontend that I personally prefer (but still has all the same stuff available!).

I personally use Gentoo linux. It can be pretty crazy obtuse sometimes. However, it's so insanely customizable, I can't let go of it. With this puppy, you compile everything from source, but the package management system is pretty awesome, so it's not as terrible as you might think! I have to say that it is definately the thing that taught me most about the whole *nix was of doing things. It is a pretty straightforward install, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first time install.

What I'm saying is, if you want to go the linux route, go K/Ubuntu first. If you start to feel constrained, check out Gentoo. There's an amazing and helpful community, and excellent documentation, for the most part.

As far as the whole Mac thing goes... Well, it seems that the systems are having a lot of build quality problems as of late. Not that PCs are immune to this, but when you pay that much more for Apple's "quality" you sort of expect more than screen flickering and mooing noises from your machine. There are some really cool apps out there for it, though.

As far as gaming goes though, nothing beats windows. Linux gaming is pretty much a joke, as much as I hate to admit it, unless you only play ET or Doom3 or something. Strangely, there are a lot of good FPSes for the OS... but windows still crushes it.

Hey, and windows has some pretty cool apps too!

So, in conclusion, I suppose I recommend a dual boot XP/Ubuntu install on a PC. Desktop or laptop is up to your personal needs; linux has made huge strides in the mobile arena lately, so that's not as much of an issue as it used to be. I just find it hard to justify the extra cost of a Mac when it lacks a lot of software, and there are known hardware issues.
duckzero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run linux, windows and osx in my house. All of which have their advantages, and i'll break down why I use either of them.

Linux:

I use Ubuntu + XGL + Beryl. I run this on a compaq laptop n600c with a 1.2 gig p3, 512 mb ram (i'm in need of more RAM) and a 32 meg ATI Radeon mobility. So, I heard so much about this ubuntu thing, and i had to give it a shot one day, and honestly i'm hooked. I boot my machine faster than my roomies core duo machine running xp, and I get very easy package (program) installation, great tech support (through the forums or official), I get the eye candy if i want (and I have to say that Beryl is very nice eye candy), finally, I feel as if for the hardware i'm running it on, i'm having the best computer experience possible.

Wine btw, is an OK solution for simple programs. I don't recommend it that much to tell you the truth. Which leads me to windows...

Windows:

Windows has to push a hardware paradigm, which requires upgrades to use their newest OS. Not to say you can't get by on vista with my laptop or anything, but I don't really want to get a fairly powerful machine to get the best out of vista. But, you get everything with Windows, and that's all that really counts, and that includes the good and bad.

I really just use windows for my mp3 player, which uses the incredibly shitty SonicStage.

OSX:

You get a lot of simplicity from osx. Which can make computing great. You can run windows now, emulate it transparently (soon!) and you get the BSD underbelly if you want to be a power user. It's really Linux + Design + money.

So my conclusion is to get a mac. Run linux on your old machine to see if you like it, and keep windows on a separate partition for backup.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Joe wrote:

There aren't any.

OS X

bootcamp

quartz composer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcode is nifty.

i think we also have a lot of pretty cataloging tools.

ALSO:
internisus wrote:
However, I suppose that I should make the effort to . . . customize XP before I decide whether or not I really need that Mac besides.

this is a good idea, though. windows and os x are like the donkey and the horse; if you're looking for an octopus, you're going to end up disappointed.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km wrote:
I personally use Gentoo linux. It can be pretty crazy obtuse sometimes. However, it's so insanely customizable, I can't let go of it. With this puppy, you compile everything from source, but the package management system is pretty awesome, so it's not as terrible as you might think! I have to say that it is definately the thing that taught me most about the whole *nix was of doing things. It is a pretty straightforward install, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first time install.

'sup, gentoo uih since 03. also, i just built a desktop. it cost about $800 not including the lcd but that's because i got a completely silent $200 case and fan. It's really fast and runs everything I throw at it.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oligophagy wrote:
internisus wrote:
However, I suppose that I should make the effort to . . . customize XP before I decide whether or not I really need that Mac besides.

this is a good idea, though. windows and os x are like the donkey and the horse; if you're looking for an octopus, you're going to end up disappointed.

What do I do if I want the octopus?
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
'sup, gentoo uih since 03. also, i just built a desktop. it cost about $800 not including the lcd but that's because i got a completely silent $200 case and fan. It's really fast and runs everything I throw at it.

What are thine specs? Moreover, just what do you throw at it, anyway?
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Business wrote:
dongle wrote:

What are thine specs? Moreover, just what do you throw at it, anyway?

core 2 duo e6400, 2gb 667 ddr2, stock intel motherboard, antec p180b, seasonic 330w psu, fanless geforce 7600

tbh i mostly use it for web & email, listening to music, programming, and asset creation of the a/v kind. but, you know, sometimes i boot into windows and play games. i gave fear a spin because i heard it was pretty intensive and it runs ~50-60 fps@10x7 with everything on except for soft shadows.

i sorta figured programming, graphic design, audio editing, video editing, games, web, email, etc covered almost everything people here used a computer for.

that's the other thing. windows doesn't deal with dual cores very well. it's sort of ok if there's like one big domineering process (like a game) and then it'll throw stuff on the other core, but if you're doing a bunch of little-moderate stuff it's a lot less responsive than it could/should be.

oh, and let me reiterate, this thing is /silent/.
Psiga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty slick looking OSX-only game: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/sketchfighter/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
So it seems like I should build my own xp/linux desktop with gaming first in mind and get a macbook for creative purposes. It doesn't sound like there is an effective compromise. However, I suppose that I should make the effort to learn Linux and customize XP before I decide whether or not I really need that Mac besides.

What the hell can you do "creatively" with a Mac that you can't do with Windows? I don't understand. Image editing, video editing, sound editing, text editing; I could do any of these things right now if I wanted to!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I could do any of these things right now if I wanted to!

But can you do them stylishly?!?!?!???!? NO I DID NOT THINK SO. GO BACK TO AFRICAS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's mostly that the programs you use for creative work on the mac look so good that you feel motivated to use them more often.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
What the hell can you do "creatively" with a Mac that you can't do with Windows? I don't understand. Image editing, video editing, sound editing, text editing; I could do any of these things right now if I wanted to!

There are some programs that have no equivalent such as Final Cut (don't tell me premiere or avid or something, that's like saying the psp is as good for games as the ds), programs that are on both platforms often have better functionality due to the way osx handles windows, osx has a more fitts compliant interface standard, etc.

It's true that you can do all that stuff on windows. It just might take longer or be more annoying.

Note that I don't personally own a mac.

I feel that your response is kind of premptively defensive since you're used to all the bullshit apple propaganda like G4 so much faster than athlon, PCs are boring, etc.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use both for the same stuff (audio and video, adobe cs2 suite, etc) and the pc and the mac versions of illustrator run damn near the same, plus or minus a few hot keys, under win2k and osx. it's the same with the rest of the suite, except that win2k crashes less. neither crash very much, however, so taste and budget reign supreme. (work buys the mac, and the nice cinemascreen, etc) and i work with huge files (500mb +) on a regular basis.

i think the mac ads (hipster v. square) are pretty clever, but they're only effective if you're already a mac fan or know very little about computers (or have had very bad experiences with pcs).

i'm sticking with win2k until it becomes untenable because i doubt my soundcard company is going to come up with vista drivers. the rest of it is all about what your core uses are and what your budget is. if you can afford the mac, and you like it and the design, and you have no pressing need for the extra cash, go that way. if you don't really need a laptop, spending less than 1000 bucks can build you a super duper insane pc of great goodness if you're into the building thing (it's not terribly hard, for the most part, if you plan ahead).

i don't really dig macs in my personal life since apple's general quality control seems to be quite spotty across the board (recent ibook battery recall, which runs my wife's laptop much cooler at a cost of several hours of battery life, down to four or five now; my first gen ipod mini is down to maybe 2.5 hours of battery life after a battery replacement; etc).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who uses all three options my opinions are as follows:

Mac: for everyday stuff (internet browsing, chatting, emailing, movie watching, music listening etc.) the mac is aesthetically pleasing and has several features (expose, dock, quicksilver if installed) that make things quicker and easier. However for games it pretty much sucks. I have a mac in my room.

Linux: to be honest I don't understand recommending linux to someone who professes to having little OS knowledge and who wants to run games. It can be frustrating to set up and full of problems that need quite a bit of knowledge to sort out. However installing and running linux can teach you a lot about computing. If you are the sort of person who likes to tinker and invest tie in things it can be fun.

Windows: you probably already know a lot about. The best for games. Will rarely have compatibility issues with software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: