The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movie vs game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Movie vs game Reply with quote

David wrote:
By the end, I was totally impressed with the care and artistry. But I was also bored and a little insulted by the overbearing movie-ness, at the expense of my ability to influence and discover things according to my own whims.

Taken from SOTC- is dull thread (and talking about Beyond Good & Evil).

I think that this quote summarises the difference between games and movies very well, and highlights the difference between Half-Life 2 [EDIT: OOPS ! I meant SOTC/Ico] and most other games. Games need to stop with the whole 'cut-scene'ness and instead allow us to discover things about the gameworld / story -through our interactions with the gameworld.*

*unless they don't want to do this, not all games must follow one particular formula.

[P.S: OOps I meant ICO / SOTC rather than HL2, which has far too many forced semi-interactive cutscenes]

Last edited by Ketch on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrowind/Oblivion (though more morrowind) is all about making the game more yours through exploration and finding whatever path you want, and less about showing you things.

It's a shame Fable didn't end up how it was supposed to, that would have been another good example as well.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have cutscenes than the half-interactive cutscenes in Half Life 2.

Then again I really couldn't play Morrowind and have shitty taste in games!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I would rather have cutscenes than the half-interactive cutscenes in Half Life 2.

I'm split on this. Sometimes it works really-really well. Other times it's just a cutscene. I think that overall these work a lot better in HL2 than HL1.

Also, not liking morrowind doesn't mean you have bad taste.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
internisus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiment that cutscenes need to go away, but the difference between movies and games is far more fundamental the the opening post addresses. It's simple interactivity, and that interactivity can be an extraordinarily nuanced thing. I think often videogames forget how many different forms interactivity can take because they are stuck in the genre templates established by financially successful tradition. It may be that the input innovation of the DS and the Wii, as well as the online communal experience of contemporary consoles, will lead to a surge of creativity in this regard.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, not liking morrowind doesn't mean you have bad taste.

There's always Daggerfall for people who don't like Morrowind. Especially if you like games where you can fall through the gaps in polygons in the dungeons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Movie vs game Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
I think that this quote summarises the difference between games and movies very well, and highlights the difference between Half-Life 2 and most other games.

I don't think Half-Life 2 is much of a solution. HL2 features cutscenes like pretty much every other game, the thing it changes is for most part just the camera perspective, the whole interaction in HL2 is still very limited, actually a lot more then in many other games, since your character doesn't really have much more then his gun to interact with the world, no multiple-choice dialogs, no inventory, nada.

My main problem with cutscenes isn't so much the cutscene itself, but the fact that cutscenes often violate the rules of the game. If a character gets shot a dozen times in the game itself he picks up a health pack and is back for good, if he gets shoot a single time in a cutscene he might be dead forever. In HL2 this is very visible as well, you have the cutscene-NPC like Alyx and you have your squad, while Alyx and friends are invulnerable, your squad members die like flies and you have to 'refill' your squad every few meters. That just isn't fun or realistic by any means.

I agree, that cutscenes can be a problem in games, but one can't solve that by just moving the camera into first person mode, it won't really change a thing in the long run, it will only limit the amount of story telling you can do, there is after all a reason why first-person perspective isn't seen very often in movies. I think to solve the problem games first need to stop being stupid, if the game consists of shooting hundreds or thousands of bad guys in a row, like HL2 and pretty much any other FPS, it won't matter if you have a cutscene or not, the story never will be very good, especially if there isn't even a reason why you have a kill-quotient of 1000:1. Games should start to get a bit more realistic, make killing something that happens seldom, not something that is the only thing to interact with an NPC. Give the player meaningful ways to interact with the gameworld, real freedom isn't even needed, just give the player the freedom to do what his character would normally do in a cutscene, i.e. talk to characters, pick up objects, hide, sneak or whatever. Often such stuff can happen in context sensitive manners, so you don't need a hundred buttons to control your character.

In the end I don't expect a solution to this problem anytime soon. Character AI hasn't really progressed much at all in the last 10 or 20 years, the interesting stuff is still happening scripted and the non-scripted stuff is either stupid (your standard FPS enemy) or, in the best case, comedy (The Sims). As long as one limits a games story to something forgettable or tries to fix up stuff via prescripted cutscenes one can of course still do interesting stories in games, but without some serious progress in NPC AI it will be hard to make any real progress.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! oops I meant SOTC / Ico rather than HL2.
david

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for picking up on my wisdom...

There are times when cut scenes are all right. For example, when something specific needs to be shown clearly, and it's not something which the player should logically be able to influence. Or, when the player is somehow disempowered (Solid Snake strapped to the torture slab, or Wander helplessly watching a giant rise up before him).

I can entertain an absolute philosophical objection to cut scenes, but in all honesty, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with them. Most of the time it's just how they're used.

Cut scenes often get used when a director is at a loss to express the scene in the language of gameplay. Maybe the game is full of gun fights, but this scene is supposed to be a tender moment between the hero and his girlfriend before she's once again carried off by the rival. The game doesn't appear to have the vocabulary for that kind of emotion, so it's swapped out for a cinematic vocabulary.

The player is rightfully conceited. He knows he's the center of the world. Designers could try harder to get ideas across in a way that involves the player, since by definition that's the most powerful way to express something in a video game. Maybe there's an opportunity for the player to defend the girl, or help her -- or better yet, she helps him in some way. Ico is the shining example of this kind of relationship expressed through gameplay (although Yorda's obtuse AI hampered the experience for some). In a game, this is how the player comes by a feeling honestly. Of course the scenario and all the parameters of the player's empowerment are defined by the game, but the player buys into those constraints as his part of the bargain of engaging the interactive story. What does the game owe the player for his investment of imagination? To make those parameters count – specifically, to let the player discover their dramatic, emotional, and philosophical implications, which in sum becomes the "narrative." When the big powerful moments come from cut scenes, and not the player's autonomous negotiation with the rules of the game – that's cinematic grandstanding, and a betrayal of the player.

The worst is when the player's character is actually active in a cut scene, and performs some plot-changing action. I know I've seen this, but I can't think of an example at the moment. But you know, the villain shows up, he's pontificating malevolently, and the hero tries to get a sneaky shot at him while he's not looking. The villain is quicker than expected, and knocks out the hero with one blow. Blackness... the hero wakes up somewhere else... In general, this kind of scene is a huge slap in the face for the player. It means he's not really in charge of his character... not for high drama moments, anyway. For the routine hacking and slashing, sure. What could be worse? The player should be invited to make the most meaningful decisions.

If a scene can't be expressed interactively, maybe it doesn't belong in the game. Or maybe its message can be compressed... Pauline's "HELP!" as she's carried off by Donkey Kong was all the exposition that game needed.

(That moment from DK is on my mind because of Chris Kohler's remarks in an interview with Henry Jenkins.)

EDIT: I just remembered an example... I'm sure there are a million, but here's one from Resident Evil 4, which is an awesome game. I think it's the end of the first level or so. You finally make it to the room which is marked "destination" on your map. A cut scene takes over. Leon wanders in, looking around. Something hits him on the back of the head! Blackness... He wakes up bound by rope. (So that's where the knocking-out thing came from in my other example.) See, I don't really buy this scene because... who's to say I wouldn't have reacted in time? See if that guy can get the drop on me, I mean really put me up to him, and then we'll find out the real story! I wouldn't even mind if the level were set up so I couldn't possibly see the attack coming – sort of like the trap door before the first Bowser level in Mario 64. Yeah, that would be kind of cheap, but still I'd be able to experience how and why that attack was unavoidable. That would make it believeable. If I fail, and I know it's my own fault, then I can accept it.

That particular example wasn't infuriating because I knew it was just the inevitable progression of the story, that I wasn't really hurt or in trouble, I was simply getting a transition to the next level. But that just speaks to how loosely the game's vocabulary of actions is associated with the story. "Getting hit on the head" has no particular global meaning. It's bad when you're playing, but in a cut scene it doesn't matter. In other words, weaksauce.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god the Half Life 2 hate in this thread is killing me.
internisus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a very IC post. Sad
extralife

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I can't help it. IT HAS INFECTED ME!!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, don't try to articulate why or attempt to have a conversation or anything.

i generally consider every cutscene to be a missed opportunity to take advantage of the unique strengths of the videogame medium. shadow of the colossus (which seems to be a popular topic at the moment) has scenes where you are given control of your character to struggle against an inevitable outcome. these scenes always end the same way, but because you play through them, you are left with a more tangible sense of the futility of these situtations.

the worst thing cutscenes do is steal the autonomy of the player. having the player's character perform an important action in a cutscene is a violation of the game-player relationship as far as i'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
extralife

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing Strider the other day, and it hit me that there's no way that game could be made, today, like it was made in 1989. It has so many awesome parts akin to what we might today call "set peices," only what makes them so awesome is that you are doing them; they become less awesome when you suck. Today, many, many of those scenes would take something away from the player in order to make them look cool.

But, uhhh, I guess games like Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 2 do such awesome things with set peices that it doesn't matter in the end. I mainly just wanted an excuse to mention how fucking awesome Strider is.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
I was playing Strider the other day, and it hit me that there's no way that game could be made, today, like it was made in 1989. It has so many awesome parts akin to what we might today call "set peices," only what makes them so awesome is that you are doing them; they become less awesome when you suck. Today, many, many of those scenes would take something away from the player in order to make them look cool.

i wrote this article. it'll be in issue 8.

in it i talk about how the "player" should be properly understood in the context of the theatrical role from which we borrow the name. the player is an actor within the game - same as the other, computer-driven characters who appear on screen - with the level design as script. by cheating the player of her role you weaken the play / game.

we have a thread on strider somewhere around here where most of the ideas for the article came from. you might want to find it, because i think it's a good read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me half life 2 was mostly about having an array of ways to achieve a single goal within a 3D space, or at least one of the best illusions of choice I've seen within a physical game world. which is a little ironic if you think about how on rails the game really is. but I think it's really pretty easy to argue that this quality is present, even if it has a lot of videogame baggage along with it (City 17's economy - predicated on the exportation of explosive barrels?)

I think the theatric quality came mostly from the fact that the game was one giant chase scene. Though I didn't care much about the story, the "cutscenes" didn't bother me. I think that they're pretty tasteful in length compared to, say, your average MGS game (or heck, any other game with cutscenes). I usually regarded them as a showcase for the facial animations anyway.
extralife

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
I think the theatric quality came mostly from the fact that the game was one giant chase scene.

I always wanted a chase scene game. I spoke about it at great length once. Then Half Life 2 came out, and I played it. Dream fulfilled, time to move on! Yeah, I thought it was that good.

You never ever ever feel at ease in the game, and every little decision you make, though you might eventually realize it wasn't a decision at all, makes you feel clever and important if only because the game keeps pushing you along. It is a god damn tour de force of design and I want to fuck it dry.

I said awesome way too many times in that Strider post.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
in it i talk about how the "player" should be properly understood in the context of the theatrical role from which we borrow the name.

Hey that's kind of neat.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
david

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
It is a god damn tour de force of design and I want to fuck it dry.

... Sorry?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be, I guess.
david

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you fuck something dry?

What does that mean.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

give cunnilingus to a mound of sand?
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
How do you fuck something dry?

What does that mean.

I'm guessing you haven't had butt sex before.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about lube?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how rough you like it.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Irvine Welsh books a 'dry shag' is when you simulate sex with all your clothes on, just rubbing up against each other vigorously. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Harveyjames on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, frotteurism.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To study the work of Jacques Frottuer, semiologist. Underrated next to the works of Lacan, etc.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if one has anal sex long enough, the lube eventually dries up and you have to apply more. I always figured this was what "fuck it dry" meant, as it fuck(ing) (until ) it (is) dry!

And yes, to save time:

The Gamer's Quarter
if one has anal sex long enough
extralife

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, uhh, it's just an expression, guys. Losely translated to mean "fuck it really hard for a long, long time" I guess. If the anal visual helps, then by all means!
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once interviewed a game designer who felt that cutscenes should be largely excised from videogames simply because 95% of game designers make really crappy cutscenes, in that they're almost always horribly awkward. Which I can see. I do spend most of my time watching cutscenes rolling my eyes, rather than being interested in whatever's taking place.

Related to the violation of the player-game agreement is the player's avatar engaging in actions in cutscenes that can't be triggered during normal gameplay. This drives me absolutely nuts. In one of the early cutscenes in Fable, the main character jumps over a fence, even though in regular gameplay the fence acts as an impassable barrier. This is made worse by the fact that there's a gate two feet from where the character jumps over the fence, meaning that they didn't even need to make the character jump the fence.
david

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, about the gate. Yeah, pretty amazing how the rules of the game -- meaning the 'game' part of the game -- don't apply to the movies. The drama and meaning of a game is supposed to come from its rules, and how things behave accordingly.

I thought Peter Molyneaux was a smart guy.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I once interviewed a game designer who felt that cutscenes should be largely excised from videogames simply because 95% of game designers make really crappy cutscenes, in that they're almost always horribly awkward.

I thought some developers tried to fix the and we got Snake running along a missile.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I thought some developers tried to fix the and we got Snake running along a missile.

Well, I'd hardly say that a one-off is a great example of how even film-makers can't make good cutscenes (although I've seen people argue in favor of the afore-mentioned cutscenes); still, I think his point was fairly valid in that most cutscenes are not very well structured. Oddly enough, the cutscenes from the Metal Gear Solid games have been some of the best, disregarding the issues of length and frequency of occurance.

I tend to think that it's the loss of agency that's the most important issue, as dess has already described. I don't care that there really isn't much I can do in the Half-Life 2 plot exposition sequences, instead, I really appreciate that the game lets me run around, look away and essentially maintain my agency (even if it is, as it is throughout most of Half-Life 2, a (very convincing) illusion).

The crux of the problem is that we're still working out ways to do interactive drama, especially realtime interactive drama. I do have my doubts that it will ever really work out in a satisfactory manner, mainly because it's an issue of the lack of nuance in terms of player input, something that could only really be addressed by a very complex AI with excellent Natural Language Processing (which, if we were capable of creating such a thing, I imagine that the impact would be far wider than the world of videogames).
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how people cite SotC as a great example of not using cutscenes, because I hated how it used cutscenes when you found the Colossi. As I mentioned in another thread, it would be so much exciting if you ran out into the desert on your horse, and the sand worm just shot up from the sand in front of you and started flying through the sky. I think the last Colossi was the only one without a cutscene? Of course, a couple of worked better WITH cutscenes, but that doesn't mean all of them needed one.

Something that bugged me about some of the Sonic games was how it took away control at the end of the level. If I let go of the controller, then sure, he could give the player some in-your-face attitude, but if not, I want to keep jumping around like a mad man while my performance stats are displayed! Sonic is all about speed and momentum!

Quote:
I wouldn't even mind if the level were set up so I couldn't possibly see the attack coming – sort of like the trap door before the first Bowser level in Mario 64.

I used to either keep jumping up and down on the trap door as it opened and closed, or doing a long jump over it, smashing my head on an invisable wall and falling in. Diving was also a nice way to get in!
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutscenes can occasionally be a strength. For whatever reason, I always think of Matsuno's Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story as having good cutscenes. Not because of their unique art style, but because both of those games are being "told" to you by a character after the fact. One of the battles in FFT has you walking into a trap. You have the "freedom" to walk across the map and go everywhere but where the trap is located, but you can't progress the game. You can spend 99 years game time without getting another cutscene, if you wanted to.

Both games are told less like stories, but more like dramatic plays, and the way the cutscenes doom you onto a single path is used to an actual effect. It's not lazyness or not using the medium in this case (though for most games, dessgeega's point stands); it's a very interesting way for the developer to get across a fatalistic view. The characters and player have "choices" but with the player, who wants to see the conclusion, in charge, they really have none at all.

I haven't played FFXII, but now I think I want to.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregarding the entire conversation up to this point:

I've always liked to differentiate mediums like this:

Gameplay communicates experience.

Sound communicates emotion.

Video communicates narrative.

Text communicates idea.

These aren't inseperable of course. Gameplay requires either sound, video, or text, and video often uses sound, and text has a visual element to it. And I think video can be broken down into much more depth, but that's the general idea as far as videogames are concerned.

Or the bigger idea that each medium is ideal for communicating a certain category of somethings, I think at least, is definitely important.

Now a videogame can use all of these elements in a certain combination with each other!

I find this distinction very useful. Whenever I'm analyzing or creating something, I try to break it down and see what each component part is communicating in the field it's best at.

If the video isn't effectively communicating some sort of narrative, then I'm not really using the video well am I? If I can't put a name on the experience of the gameplay, then I'm not really using it very well am i?

Now getting back to what's been discussed so far...

I think the flaw with "cutscenes", is that due to the inseperable nature of each of these elements, sometimes you end up sacrificing the capabilities of one so that another one can realize it's own capabilities. For example, you might sacrifice the real narrative power of video because the gameplay needs it to communicate a good experience.

I think people have an intuitive sense of this, feel frustrated at the problem, and so "fix it" by devoting the video either to pure gameplay or pure narrative and switching between the two.

I think maybe this can work well if that burst of pure narrative continues to spill over and have an effect through the burst of gameplay (and the other way around), but usually I don't think it works out that well.

So, I dunno...

That's all I have to say about that.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:

video (cutscenes) communicates story, which is different from narrative. story is what you are told. narrative is what you do. every game has a narrative - space invaders (as my friend andrew michael toups once said) has a great narrative. you are defending the earth (the bottom of the screen) from alien invaders who come from above. they keep coming, moving faster and faster as you thin their ranks.

cutscenes and dialogue boxes are used to tell story, as in a storybook, something you are shown page by page but cannot interact with. the player is not a part of it. sometimes story is used to give depth to a game - see the marathon games, for example, where characters comment (via computer terminals) about the larger events that your struggles are a part of. but most of the time story cutscenes undermine the narrative by attempting to supercede it - "in this cutscene the player kills gengis kahn the third". the player will do what she damn well likes, thank you very much. if killing gengis kahn the third is so crucial to the story, allow the player to act out her part by slaying gengis kahn the third in-game.

strider is a good example of a game that uses narrative to convey its story. but that's my article, and you'll have to wait and read it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Hot Stott Bot wrote:

video (cutscenes) communicates story, which is different from narrative. story is what you are told. narrative is what you do. every game has a narrative - space invaders (as my friend andrew michael toups once said) has a great narrative. you are defending the earth (the bottom of the screen) from alien invaders who come from above. they keep coming, moving faster and faster as you thin their ranks.

cutscenes and dialogue boxes are used to tell story, as in a storybook, something you are shown page by page but cannot interact with. the player is not a part of it. sometimes story is used to give depth to a game - see the marathon games, for example, where characters comment (via computer terminals) about the larger events that your struggles are a part of. but most of the time story cutscenes undermine the narrative by attempting to supercede it - "in this cutscene the player kills gengis kahn the third". the player will do what she damn well likes, thank you very much. if killing gengis kahn the third is so crucial to the story, allow the player to act out her part by slaying gengis kahn the third in-game.

strider is a good example of a game that uses narrative to convey its story. but that's my article, and you'll have to wait and read it.

Hmm! This is of interest!

I always defined these nebulous terms differently. Story as what happens, and narrative as how it happens. I guess by these definitions, story and narrative are critical to every game.

Therefore, cutscenes and dialogue boxes were a narrative technique, just one that wasn't very interesting / overused in an interactive sense.

Hey, everybody, let's continue to confuse the ludological semantics! I'll bring the beer.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Hot Stott Bot wrote:

video (cutscenes) communicates story, which is different from narrative.

Yes, yes, yes... but I do think that video is still the form which communicates narrative. I think story is more complicated than narrative, and isn't communicated by any one form.

Quote:
space invaders (as my friend andrew michael toups once said) has a great narrative. you are defending the earth (the bottom of the screen) from alien invaders who come from above. they keep coming, moving faster and faster as you thin their ranks.

Right, but I think what communicates the narrative (you defending the earth) is primarily the video component. You see that they're aliens. You see that they're moving faster and faster. Et cetera.

The playing of the game gives you the experience of ... shooting stuff moving up the screen. Combine that with the narrative from the video (defending the earth), and you get something more complicated (the experience of defending the earth?). Then, I would further argue, that the sound effects create most of the emotional weight.

You could take a video of someone playing space invaders, show it to someone, and they would still get the narrative -- just not the experience. Similarly, I'm not sure I can think of a game where you have some narrative (like defending the earth) wherein you could change all the sprites, yet retain that narrative, though the core experience (shooting stuff moving up the screen) would be retained.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, when i saw "video" i read "movie", which clearly isn't how you intended it. but yeah, story can be communicated in many different ways. cutscenes are one of those ways (a poor way, i feel) and add nothing to the game except story.

at the same time, i think narrative is communicated by more things than just video. i would say that narrative is communicated by gameplay more than anything - by the circle of feedback between player and game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
at the same time, i think narrative is communicated by more things than just video. i would say that narrative is communicated by gameplay more than anything - by the circle of feedback between player and game.

The feedback loop chooses the narrative (out of some maybe infinite set of potential narratives), but it's still the video that communicates it. As HSB said, a prerecorded replay of a game still has narrative but not experience.

I think the issue is maybe the connotative weight of the words. I certainly find to hard to hand over my beloved "emotion" solely to sound! Abstract painting, for example; particular shapes and curved lines and especially solid colors resonate with me like any musical note, in a real non-rational way.
Slonie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to read the strider article now. Or at least the thread.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thread's here. there were some time paradoxes that day, so some posts are out of order. in fact, the first post is like three posts in.

consider it a sneak preview of the article?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oligophagy wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

The feedback loop chooses the narrative (out of some maybe infinite set of potential narratives), but it's still the video that communicates it. As HSB said, a prerecorded replay of a game still has narrative but not experience.

Well... a prerecorded replay of a game still has narrative, but not the same narrative as experienced by the person actually playing, necessarily. I agree with dessgeega here, there's more to "game narrative" (if there is such a thing) than just what you see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: