The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beautiful Tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Beautiful Tools Reply with quote

Sometimes, a tool that I can use to do something can be the primary inspiration for undergoing that activity in the first place. For example, I am only somewhat interested in writing my own interactive fiction, but when I look at the Inform 7 webpage and read its extensive list of features or look through the long gallery showing how it functions in OS-X, I terribly want an excuse to play with it. Go look at it! Don't you want to write IF all of the sudden?

Another application I feel this way about is Scrivener. It makes me excited to write for all the wrong reasons -- just to play with the organizational program! But just look at it! Between these two applications and the cleanliness of OS-X, I'm sold on a mac laptop of some sort.

So, what about you? You don't have to mention a computer tool! This sentiment could be towards just about anything you use to make something or get something done!
Ging

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beautiful Tools Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
So, what about you? You don't have to mention a computer tool! This sentiment could be towards just about anything you use to make something or get something done!

*obligatory penis joke here*
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are one click away from being banned, mister.
Ging

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
You are one click away from being banned, mister.

Really.

It's probably because of those chocolates I ate. I... don't really feel so good. Actually I think I'm gonna go induce vomitting right now.

Sorry.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nonsense. We were all thinking it, anyway. I have (perhaps irrational?) faith in you, Ging!

There was a program I stumbled upon a long time ago. I think it was linked on metafilter, most likely, though it might have been memepool. This program was designed for Tablet PCs first and foremost--lots of gestural commands, the default mode for entering text was with the mouse, etc.--but I don't have one, so I used it on my desktop. It was a program for make flow charts and planning web pages. By drawing little mock-ups of pages, you could draw lines linking the text on one to the body of another, and then you could test it out as if it were a real web-page.

One night, in a moment of grievous error, I uninstalled it. I was trying to make space. It didn't seem important, mostly because the command gestures didn't make sense with a mouse.

It would have been perfect for designing maps and plots for interactive fiction.

I've been trying to find it ever since.
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine fine just stop vomiting on the forum
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNIX is love and there's nothing beautiful about UNIX.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
UNIX is love and there's nothing beautiful about UNIX.

It's a different kind of beauty for a different kind of love, I think. Kind of like old typewriters, and how some authors refuse to use computers, because they don't make annoying "click-CLACK" sounds.

Most of the people who write Linux are the types who built things with Legos so they would have an excuse to smash them and rebuild them as kids.
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrivener looks wonderful! It's a big step up from the multi-tab text editor I'm using anyway. Are there similar writer's tools for the PC?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was tempted to take a picture of a flogger or wartenberg wheel, but instead i'm going to write about the beauteous beauty that is the gameboy camera.

the gameboy camera is a fantastic device. as a camera, it only takes four-color heavily dithered photos. there are much more capable cameras out there, especially now, but what makes a gameboy camera worth having is all the love that was put into it. there are so many completely frivolous features that were put in because the developers just decided that they were neat ideas. like all the different mirror and split-screen shots, the games that you can insert your own head into, the completely inexplicable click-through hotspot editor. the slideshow that plays "blue danube". the jrpg menu. the ability to pick from five different "photo snap" sound effects. i have a digital camera, but it doesn't have this kind of energy, this charm.

and i think the photos are pretty distinctive, actually.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any old-school Mac users should know this one:

Canvas 2.0

I'd always doodled in class and such, but this program had me spending HOURS on the ol' Mac SE, messing with polygonal perspectives and faux-gradient effects (actually, I'd line up a bunch of rectangles, with no borders so they "merged" together, and color each one with progressively darker greyscale tones; from a distance it looked natural). I wish I'd saved some of them, I actually got pretty decent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screen

km

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Most of the people who write Linux are the types who built things with Legos so they would have an excuse to smash them and rebuild them as kids.

That describes me perfectly.

Also, i just discovered Screen! It is the bee's knees!

This application makes me want to get an eye tracker or tablet or something just to use this totally awesome sounding input method. So what if it's slow! It feels so... futuristic. Like something I'd be using in my flying car.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants my .screenrc let me know. Also dasher is interesting!
shrug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous image reminds me of that notoriously cryptic Gary Larson comic:

I would really enjoy a gameboy camera, I saw an awesome page once where all the pictures were of geometric things that just became strange designs whith the dithering. It would require getting a gameboy first though, which doesn't seem completely worth it.

I really enjoy Sauerbraten/Cube 2 for the editor and the game not at all. I get no joy at all from the jumpy, generic FPS action, but erecting colossol megastructures in minutes in a live editor is really amusing. I hope the game mechanics become more flexible in the future.
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes, typically interactive shells. Each virtual terminal provides the functions of the DEC VT100 terminal and, in addition, several control functions from the ANSI X3.64 (ISO 6429) and ISO 2022 standards (e.g., insert/delete line and support for multiple character sets). There is a scrollback history buffer for each virtual terminal and a copy-and-paste mechanism that allows the user to move text regions between windows. When screen is called, it creates a single window with a shell in it (or the specified command) and then gets out of your way so that you can use the program as you normally would. Then, at any time, you can create new (full-screen) windows with other programs in them (including more shells), kill the current window, view a list of the active windows, turn output logging on and off, copy text between windows, view the scrollback history, switch between windows, etc. All windows run their programs completely independent of each other. Programs continue to run when their window is currently not visible and even when the whole screen session is detached from the users terminal.

I don't really understand. Embarassed
shrug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that my preferred forging hammer is really a suprisingly heavy old ball-peen someone found me at an antique store anyway.

Unless I really have to move a lot of metal or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: