The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You can't spell EnnovAtion without EA!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: You can't spell EnnovAtion without EA! Reply with quote

So I downloaded the demos for NBA Street: Home Court and Def Jam: Icon yesterday and was pretty impressed. They're both incredibly tight and ultra-produced like EA is known and reviled for, but I was mostly impressed that I couldn't figure out how the hell to play either one. The reason? They both do something that's so totally new that I haven't really had any experience with.

The NBA Street demo is 3 on 3 basketball to 7 points, and they let you rematch as many times as you want. I swear I played through 5 rematches and just kept getting worse and worse each time. I think the reason is that I kept trying to play it like NBA Jam, and that only takes you so far. I saw the computer do some absolutely crazy stuff that might be worth learning the game to do. He would roll over his teammate's back and jump into the sky to do a dunk, or dunk the ball then grab it from underneath and put it back in the basket for a second point. It breaks all of the rules of basketball and it really impressed me that the developers are able to think that far outside of the box.

The Def Jam demo was even more nuts. First off, it looks incredible. It might be the best-looking game I've ever seen. The players look absolutely real and as they get more and more beat up, their faces puff up and get scarred in a very realistic way. This is all the more surprising when the gameplay falls so far outside of the realm of realism it can only barely be called a fighting game.

I really, really don't understand how to play Icon yet. I tried one match and kept punching and kicking, but it didn't seem to really involve any strategy. Sometimes a punch would be so strong it would fling my opponent back by 30 feet and sometimes it would barely phase him. So eventually I just started pressing buttons. The RB button does the oddest thing. It stops time and makes your player put his hands out like he's scratching a record. At this point you can play around with the analog sticks and the background will start to explode. It makes no sense at all, but it's crazy enough that it just might work. I'll need to try it some more and get better at it before I decide whether it's fun or just gimmicky, but for now I'm impressed with how different it is from everything else.

So yeah. EA. The innovation masters. Whoda' thunk it?

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good video preview of NBA Street: Homecourt over at 1up.com. Among other things, a couple of the editors also love the fact that the game gets them actually caring about where they are playing. A genuine homecourt advantage.

I could see myself buying this game, if I ever bought a 360. I don't buy sports games.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very interested in the development of Army of Two, and am looking forward to see how far they push that particular two-player concept.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budgets are nice; i remember being blown away by just how playable NBA street was back in the summer of 2000 (and i, of course, had only ever enjoyed nba jam prior to this)
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of downloading that demo based on my NBA Jam nostalgia (granted that was like what, 15 years ago? Fuck!).

EA did say they were all about "fun" now.
duomo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these demos gold-only for right now?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played the NBA Street: Homecourt demo. It's kinda fun but I'd need to practice a lot more.

While I do enjoy SSX (I liked it when it was called Tony Hawk Pro Skater) the idea of shoving tricks into every single sport has gotten pretty old fast. That said, I still enjoyed the demo a lot. I never figured out how to do alley-oops correctly or do a double dunk consistently.

Also, why is it that in a street ball game you can only play as NBA players? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Nana Komatsu: EA | HD
Anna: eahd?
Nana Komatsu: EA had to be piped into HD
Anna: they should put the EA between the HD
Anna: and be H e a D
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Also, why is it that in a street ball game you can only play as NBA players? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Not entirely. That's a cultural deconstruction which would take more time and effort to type out than I suspect most people are interested in though.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bunch of non-gaming house guests over yesterday and I showed them the Def Jam Icons demo which promptly blew their minds. We were all a little sad to find that there will be no female stars in the full version (as best as I can tell from various sources), but that wasn't enough to deter one of my friends who said "if you don't buy this, I'll buy it for you." The killer visual hook and over-the-top beat-synched explosions have us all impatient for the full release.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt and I were talking about these games and pretty much decided that it doesn't matter how good they are. He was saying how his brother in law loved the first Def Jam game, defending it by saying stuff like, "look man! You can put Henry Rawlins in a silly hat, how can this not be an awesome game!," which pretty much goes to show that he's not buying it for the game, but for the context. I think there's some oversimplification in there, but there's certainly a bit of truth.

Now take me (and I'd expect most people on these boards). I really like both of the demos, but there's very little chance I'll buy either one at full price, with my only real reasoning being the context. I "don't like sports games" (even if Mario playing Golf, Tennis, Soccer, or Baseball is totally an instant buy), and playing a fighting game with rappers I've never heard of and can't even tell the difference between doesn't really appeal to me.

So if these are the two game markets...

A. People who say they want to buy games with great gameplay, but ignore it when it comes in a context they don't already have an attachment to.

B. People who don't care about gameplay, but want to play a game founded in a context they already have an interest in.

... is EA really doing anything wrong by going down the path they've chosen?

Am I totally off base with this market assessment?

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madden makes them a metric fuckton of money every year, I honestly can't blame them,

That said I enjoyed the Def Jam demo but I thought the fighting was more awkward than Rumble Roses.
Lasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself an Aki fan, thus this game will be very disappointing to me.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, can someone explain to me how the music affects the fighting in the Def Jam demo? I understand it plays a role, but I couldn't figure out the correlation it had to the game other than being able to do the scratching/mixing.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what EA is doing here is roping in the people that are saying "oh shit! T.I. vs. Big Boi, I am so IN!" but also getting others interested with the innovative (in the videogame world anyways) visual style and over-the-top videogamey stuff (crashing helicopters into your opponent).

For sure I'm not paying $60 for this though. I expect to pick it up in the bargain bin down the road.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
For sure I'm not paying $60 for this though. I expect to pick it up in the bargain bin down the road.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Does it really matter if they make good games, seeing how people who are actually interested in good games are going to dismiss it immediately based on context/publisher alone?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. Does it really matter if they make good games, seeing how people who are actually interested in good games are going to dismiss it immediately based on context/publisher alone?

This weirds me out a little bit because it assumes that people who might buy it because of the hip-hip connections would be unlikely to care whether the game is "good" or not.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

This weirds me out a little bit because it assumes that people who might buy it because of the hip-hip connections would be unlikely to care whether the game is "good" or not.

Back in Wisconsin I was in an EB Games and this black dude (think mid-thirties) was talking about how there are all these shitty games aimed at the black market. He said something like "You can't tell me '25 To Life' wasn't aimed at black folks".

I think that's exactly the case. The same goes for most licensed games, context trumps content for the mass-market.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 25 to Life was a total bust, was it not?

I'm just saying that I don't think that you actually get sales simply because of that kind of niche marketing. And you certainly wouldn't get repeat sales.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Well that's sort of what I'm asking. To what extent do people actually care about the game? Matt's brother-in-law liked the earlier Def Jam games because "You can put Henry Rawlins in a silly hat" even though he claims to not like wrestling games. I mean, obviously the game can't be total shit. But then again, if all you've ever bought has been total shit you've got no frame of reference, and might even like a terrible game as long as it fulfills the promises found on the back of the box.

It's confusing, so I'll link to the Joystiq comments section.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold on. you can put hank rollins in a silly hat?

really?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
T.I. vs. Big Boi

Are either of these two actually in the game? It would be so bombtastic if they were. I can just imagine their victory sayings:

T.I. - "You think I'm bad now? You shoulda seen me before I had children."
or "Me and you like puttin' matches to ice: you won't make it."

Big Boi - "I'm droppin' bombs like a North Korean nuclear missile."
or "Hold up. Slow up. Stop. Control."

My wishful brain is getting to work.

And I'm pretty sure I fall into the same category as Scratchmonkey here: interested in the context and the (at least seemingly) unique gameplay. I'm still not quite sure why rappers are fighting each other, but I'm into hip-hop and good games.

Last edited by helicopterp on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are unlikely to like an actually shitty game, at least enough people in order to financially support a series, regardless of what we would judge their level of informed-ness in terms of videogames.

However, I also think people will support an average-to-decent game to an extent beyond the actual quality of the game if the game gives them something that they find personally engaging, which would include dressing dude in a silly hat. (And, like dhex, I find the prospect of putting Mr. Rollins in a silly hat pretty amusing.)

Just as a general note, I'm actually very skeptical of the new Def Jam game just because Aki is no longer involved. I really enjoyed NBA Street on the old-gen platforms though, so I have no problem believing the new edition has the potential to be really good.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
dmauro wrote:
T.I. vs. Big Boi

Are either of these two actually in the game? It would be so bombtastic if they were. I can just imagine their victory sayings:

T.I. - "You think I'm bad now? You shoulda seen me before I had children."
or "Me and you like puttin' matches to ice: you won't make it."

Big Boi - "I'm droppin' bombs like a North Korean nuclear missile."
or "Hold up. Slow up. Stop. Control."

My wishful brain is getting to work.

They're in the fucking demo! I was surprised that Big Boi showed up since Outkast isn't on Def Jam, but sure enough. They did some voiceover work and taunts too.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually pretty much sells me on the game, and goes further to selling me on the Xbox360. I should try to make some money.

They're pretty much why I saw (and didn't hate) the movie ATL, which could never decide whether to be a coming-of-age story, a portrait of socioeconomic distinction in different parts of the city, a roller-skate dance group competition film, or an advertisement for Big Boi's pit-bull kennel. Seriously, that movie was all over the place.

A really weird taunt for T.I. would be: "I want to kiss you everywhere between your knees and waist." I can just imagine him saying that as he stares down the Game.
The Soviet Onion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: You can't spell EnnovAtion without EA! Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The RB button does the oddest thing. It stops time and makes your player put his hands out like he's scratching a record. At this point you can play around with the analog sticks and the background will start to explode. It makes no sense at all, but it's crazy enough that it just might work.

Does this help?
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dmauro wrote:

I'm not dismissing it based on context/publisher, but on the fact that I'm not that into fighting games, and I mostly like it because it looks awesome, and I could convince my friends to play with me.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
hold on. you can put hank rollins in a silly hat?

really?

You can beat the crap out of him too. He's also your personal trainer in-game.

His special move is pretty damn awesome at that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, Rick, the guy with the Rollins comment, isn't my brother in law. He's my sisters boyfriend. I would like this noted for all future references.
Scratchmonkey wrote:
I think people are unlikely to like an actually shitty game, at least enough people in order to financially support a series, regardless of what we would judge their level of informed-ness in terms of videogames.

Mortal Kombat

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dude, Rick, the guy with the Rollins comment, isn't my brother in law. He's my sisters boyfriend. I would like this noted for all future references.
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Mortal Kombat

Uhh, exception that proves the rule?

Plus, Lestrade likes it. I bet he accounts for like 10% of its total sales.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

you sound...frightened.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Well that's sort of what I'm asking. To what extent do people actually care about the game? Matt's brother-in-law liked the earlier Def Jam games because "You can put Henry Rawlins in a silly hat" even though he claims to not like wrestling games. I mean, obviously the game can't be total shit. But then again, if all you've ever bought has been total shit you've got no frame of reference, and might even like a terrible game as long as it fulfills the promises found on the back of the box.

It's confusing, so I'll link to the Joystiq comments section.

-Wes
Truth be told, I'll admit the context can sell me. I was psyched when I picked up the second Def Jam game (skipped the CD generation of consoles so I never played the first). It wasn't my thing (I was expecting a fighting game instead of a wrestling game) but the context hooked me as a fan of hip hop and friends trash talking around the TV. The back of the box is important, but there's other assumptions that come into play. And that's what you have to deal with. And experience, which tells me that Def Jam is not all that fun. There's a lot of bullshit to sift through.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Also, can someone explain to me how the music affects the fighting in the Def Jam demo? I understand it plays a role, but I couldn't figure out the correlation it had to the game other than being able to do the scratching/mixing.

dmauro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it does have an effect on the fighting at all. You can change the music/tigger level-specific events with scratching, but it seems like that is it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally played Def Jam: Icon. It ... is pretty similar to the last game of Def Jam that I played, though way more bombastic. I did like that there was no HUD, and the exceptionally stylized way things break down (funnily enough, at first I thought it was just lazy programming), but it's still pretty boring to play, and I don't know crap about these rappers. I would play it at a friends house, or possibly pick it up for $10 buck. It's a pretty big improvement from the last game, but not that big of a jump as I expected reading the initial post.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
I don't think it does have an effect on the fighting at all. You can change the music/tigger level-specific events with scratching, but it seems like that is it.

I think what it is is that you can change the environmental effects, which are often things that can do damage to people, so if there's a fire or whatever, you can throw them into the fire, scratch to make it explode or suchlike to do extra damage.

I've been checking out the NBA Street demo over the last couple days since somebody at work has it. It looks and sounds great, I do wonder if it's going to be much fun once you figure out how to play the game as I'm not seeing anything beyond the same strategies you had with the previous Streets. Which means it'll still be a great multiplayer game, just not something that you'd play by yourself on a regular basis.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh holy shit holy shit have you guys SEEN what EA has done to Wing Commander?! I don't even LIKE Wing Commander and this appalls me.

Game designers: When you are criticised for blindly taking design elements from previous games and transplanting them into new ones without understanding what made them work, the implication is that to improve, you should start attempting to understand what made them work, rather than throwing out all design elements from previous games and just doing whatever. I mean, maybe the game will be fun? But it's not anything that resembles Wing Commander.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in hindsight, the best thing about wing commander is the cameo in ultima 7. i liked the first one a lot, iirc.

privateer was where it was at, though.

but yeah, why would they bother doing that? seems like a lot of work for very little.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know why they'd use the Wing Commander license, since all this will do is piss off the people who remember Wing Commander and not have much of an impact on the people who don't.

It seems like they would have been better off making the same game and not attaching a license at all.

I need to play Privateer. What's the legal status of the game at this point? Can you still get it anywhere?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I figured it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be THAT bad. Jesus fucking christ, does anyone at that company think of anything outside of committee at all? I mean, I was expecting some lame gameplay changes to an in-cockpit flight sim that I could still enjoy since I have no love of the Wing Commander name, but that's just fucking ridiculous.

This makes the news that they are also making Disco Inferno: The Game a lot less exciting.

Someone remind me to punch someone from EA in the face next week.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I just don't know why they'd use the Wing Commander license, since all this will do is piss off the people who remember Wing Commander and not have much of an impact on the people who don't.

It seems like they would have been better off making the same game and not attaching a license at all.

I need to play Privateer. What's the legal status of the game at this point? Can you still get it anywhere?

http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/ - Privateer Remake

I played around with it for a bit -- it's nice!

"The original Privateer is a well loved game, with incredible graphics and gameplay for its day. Built on an open source codebase, the Remake is a community effort to bring the universe of the original into the 21st century, playable on all modern operating systems (win,mac,linux), and in 3d glory.

Privateer gives you the freedom to carve your own path in the Wing Commander universe. Opportunity abounds in the Gemini Sector. Wedged between the unknown frontier and the Kilrathi Empire, Gemini is home to various competing factions with which you can choose to align yourself.

Upgrade your ship or trade it in to deal with the demands of a Privateer. Find your fortune by logging into the mission computer, or take your chances with seedy characters in bars. Meet up with Sandoval in New Detroit, tilt back a glass with Demetria in a Munchen bar in the Tingerhoff System. Make your way as a trader, traitor, bounty hunter, or pirate. Only you can imagine what you might encounter beyond the frontier. Happy privateering!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that Wing Commander XBL game looks pretty good when viewed as something other than a Wing Commander game. It seems really strange that they're using that license considering I'm less likely to be interested in it because of the name Wing Commander (I didn't like any of the previous games and the movie just totally blew), and people who actually do like Wing Commander will hate what they've done to it. Dumb.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have done it better by trying to get the rights to Escape Velocity from Ambrosia and just publishing that.

And ryan, thanks for the Privateer link. I'll be checking that out.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I ordered SSX Blur today.

Cause its prequel (3, not On Tour) is one of my favorite games ever. Don't shoot, guys.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Cause its prequel (3, not On Tour) is one of my favorite games ever. Don't shoot, guys.

I fully agree with this statement. Every time I try to tell Matt that SSX3 is amazing he says, "it's a snowboarding game. I've played 1080." I don't know how to tell him exactly how wrong he is.

Let me know if Blur is any good! I'm betting on "no" simply because it seems like a rush job by EA so that they can look like they're down with the Wii.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo the SSX 3 love, superb design in just about every area.
It's amazing to see how well each peak acts as both a coherent hub and track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: