The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donate next game £££s to charity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Donate next game £££s to charity? Reply with quote

Just a thought, but how about giving the money that you are going to spend on your next game on doing something worthwhile like sponsoring a well for people in Africa--- I mean games are games, but wouldn't it be cool to feel as though you have helped make people's lives better ? Come on, give it a thought.

I mean the couple of hundred quid that I've spent on generally (lame) games this year could have done something much better. And what is another game compared to helping people's lives?
internisus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest we turn this into a list thread for games that are so incredibly amazing that they should be donated to sick little orphans stranded in the ocean with no gold and less experience points whose boy/girlfriends have been kidnapped by alien invaders.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey make it for a second hand game then.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note... would it be wrong to donate a war game, like I dunno, Battlfield, to orphaned kids in some war torn region?
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute, but I have yet to see a charity which has proven itself effective or even trustworthy and not a feel-good manipulative money-grabbing institution.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnesty international
gods love we deliver
catholic workers
habitats for humanity (despite structural issues they have a very low forclosure rate)
your local science education foundation
etc.

there are plenty that do good rather efficently. the percentage of money they put into their infrastructure and employment relative to their overall budget is a key factor, as well as size. (i.e. the red cross does great local work, but is utterly fucked without their infrastructure when it comes to larger disasters. there's a good piece in the last issue of reason about anarchist groups down in new orleans serving huge amounts of people without any infrastructure - and mostly against the law - that'll be online this month sometime)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of friends and acquaintances in medical fields who've worked in the midst of some of these organisations as aides, and the picture they draw isn't exactly pretty.

Hell, they could be wrong on the big picture, and I'm probably going to have to look into the exact details, but I'm honestly not confident about giving moneys to charities either way.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had a friend who spent about two years in Africa on the behalf of the Peace Corps. She complained about lack of organization, but at least her and other in the fields did great work.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hell, they could be wrong on the big picture, and I'm probably going to have to look into the exact details, but I'm honestly not confident about giving moneys to charities either way.

having known a former editor of the chronicle of philanthropy for a time longer than i care to recount, i know full well many groups are totally full of shit. having worked in this sector for the past four years (sigh) i've seen plenty of idiocy and waste, as well as some outright fraud. etc.

but charities is such a huge grouping of organizations that drawing such a limited review one way or the other is rather impossible. ugliness on the ground is ugliness on the ground, period, ngo, the u.n. or otherwise.

i'm just saying, from personal experience and exploration, what i listed above are groups i consider worthy of time and money. even though some of them are religious in nature, etc. in america, the aclu and the institute of justice would also be included in my bag, despite minor issues i have with both organizations and their focuses.

this doesn't include local nyc groups i think worthy of time/money/support like the drug policy alliance, the ali forney center, gay mens health crisis, etc. local charities are not only easier to investigate, they're more likely to need help and give people the sort of direct impact feeling they're looking for. every urban locality has a soup kitchen of some sort, etc.

one thing i will give catholic schools - perhaps the only thing - is that they're generally focused on forcing kids to participate in some kind of charitable action each year, or every other year, and can funnel them into helping clean up homeless shelters or serve soup or whatever. it's not the perfect virtue of heading out on one's own to do these things, but it at least puts people into contact with a perspective on life they would normally avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I'd like to suggest we turn this into a list thread for games that are so incredibly amazing that they should be donated to sick little orphans stranded in the ocean with no gold and less experience points whose boy/girlfriends have been kidnapped by alien invaders.

Hmmm... how about a game called Charity Mastermind with world maps that can be zoomed in to reveal Sim Cities based on real data (from various souces. Some kind of info-reliability metatags would have to be included.) Within the cities are sim people that may have real names from the local phonebooks.

You could pick pet countries, regions, cities, even neighborhoods and people.
Maybe even specialize in infrastructural subsets.
The game itself could be a donation target, too. Like improving the data quality/etc.

Like Save The Children made into a videogame.

You play by sending money, writing letters to congress, etc.

Fat, chairbound, relatively rich people literally "playing with the world".

Just don't use your credit card numbers. Have a special account or something.

Perhaps their could be a MMORPG/LARP element where players in the game join the Peace Corps/etc. and show up on other player's screens as little sim people. Perhaps thay could even be wirelessly linked to the Charity Mastermind Online Network with GPS and shoulder cameras and headset microphones. You could zoom in on these people and open a window with live feed, local data sheets, recorded vignettes, etc.

You could even have clans that brag about how "their" village is better than the one with "those noob aid workers", "cuz we have 1337 development skillz".

For a simpler version people could get a tomaguchi or nintendog version of the game.
Maybe one of those stock market glow-globes. Hook it up to a mood-monitor on your "savage" to keep track of how he's doing.
internisus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to donate a Charity Sim game to children as charity? That's so sick.

I love it.
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
You want to donate a Charity Sim game to children as charity? That's so sick.

I love it.

I was only partly joking.

It would be a nifty way to get people to donate while also keeping track of where the money goes. Perhaps charities could register with the Charity Mastermind Network and after a probationary phase with embedded monitors would become a regular part of the network.
(But still autonomous: CMN would just be an educational online game slash watchdog group. At least until ze comrades make their move.)

All part of COMINTERN 3's insidious plot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: