The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEATMANIA is English for 7-key Rape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: BEATMANIA is English for 7-key Rape Reply with quote

So Konami is seemingly releasing Beatmania in the US within the year. They're also releasing a controller that's based on the IIDX controller with 7 keys and turntable.

As far as I can tell, the game is more IIDX than Beatmania, but they're calling it "Beatmania" for the sake of simplicity to Americans.

It's not bad, though the demo I played at E3 was kind of easy (and I played that thing on FAST/HARD. I'm terrible at 7 key though..). I'm assuming they only had the easier songs unlocked for players to sample.

I made Toups take some pictures of it. Once he posts a link, I'll get more into details about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I have been following this. It looks like an intro over 5key and 7key to the US. They are probably aiming to capture the Donkey Konga/Taiko DM crowd. ANyways it means cheap controllers for me.

PS: all hard does is make the bar fall faster. I have no idea what the hell fast would be. I guess that the game has labled 7Key what was previously Light-7, so you would have needed to gone to ... shit I don't even know what they would call it 7 - another?

Hell. Fast might have been speed mods, but those make the game easier (and more fun as you can actually see what you are trying to play).
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
They are probably aiming to capture the Donkey Konga/Taiko DM crowd.

Jesus Christ, how did you know I'm great at those?

Well, better than I am at DDR at least and much better times infinity to any guitar/drum/beat game with more than three buttons.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good thing. I don't care what crowd Konami's trying to capture, the fact of the matter is that they're bringing a great game (with an incredibly huge price tag if you want to import it) to the US. More importantly, KCEJ is apparently doing it, instead of KOA. This is great because KOA can't localize a bemani game for shit. And cheap(er) controllers? Great!

Looking forward to those screenshots persona-sama.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture that Psiga took of me playing it. I'm no good at 7-keys though.

Ask Mr. Toups for photos since he took twice the amount I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take that many.

I'll upload them as soon as I can. Probably with tonight's E3 entry.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a scratching wheel? a-la "sprite re-re-r-r-r-r-r-remix!" ????
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
is that a scratching wheel? a-la "sprite re-re-r-r-r-r-r-remix!" ????

Indeed it is. You aparently don't know much about this game. It is what makes it a "DJ simulator"... even though that is about the last thing it is.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know nothing about music or rhythm games. or srpgs. or sports games. or car racing games.

shit, in all fairness i have no business talking about games at all, really. i'm like the gamer's quarter version of andy rooney.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering your music experience, this game may be entertaining for you. It has a serious challange to it, and is also key sounded (lacking in most other music games). Anyways, if the US release get some of the harder songs you may want to check it out. I devoted a large chunk of my time to it for a good solid 8 months. Anyways it is mostly techno music and I don't think that is your flavor. But you may like the challenge of it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyways it is mostly techno music and I don't think that is your flavor. But you may like the challenge of it.

heh

anyway...it sounds sort of interesting. what do you mean by key sounded?[/url]
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
anyway...it sounds sort of interesting. what do you mean by key sounded?

When the notes (lines) fall down the tracks you have to hit the corresponding button or "scratch" the turntable when it gets to the red line at the bottom (If you look at the image you can see a turntalble scratch falling on the left side and then in the second column you will see a blue explosion on the red line. That blue explosion means you hit the timing right). If you get the timing perfect (with in 1/60th of a second iirc) you get a flashing great score for that point (you can see that player 2 has gotten a flashing great). If you are close, but not perfect you get a great score and if you are within like... an eitght note or so you get a good score. Now when you scratch the turntable or hit the key it makes the coresponding correct sound for that part of the song (meaning that if you ignore score you can make a remix of sorts). You don't just hit the button to the timing, when you hit the button it makes the sound, so when you play bad the song sounds bad.

If you want to aim for score the points are broken down like this: If you have 100 notes in a song there are a maximum of 200 EX points. 2 EX points for every Flashing Great you get, 1 for every Great. To get a AAA you need 95% (190 EX points), 90% for a AA, 85% for an A... and so on. (I may be off on this, as I never got too into the score, but it is something similar). The thing is you get into 1000+ note songs that are only 120 sec long... and people AAA them. Crazy stuff (I recommend the PXY videos towards to top PXY - IIDX - A.mpg . He is one of the top current IIDX players). Anyways, it can be fun and exceedingly hard at the exact same time.

I have talked to long on this.

EDIT: heh indeed.

EDIT2: You can also get two controllers and play 14 key versions of songs.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:

If you want to aim for score the points are broken down like this: If you have 100 notes in a song there are a maximum of 200 EX points. 2 EX points for every Flashing Great you get, 1 for every Great. To get a AAA you need 95% (190 EX points), 90% for a AA, 85% for an A... and so on. (I may be off on this, as I never got too into the score, but it is something similar).

It's actually a lot easier than that. It's just 8/9ths of the total points for a AAA, 7/9ths for a AA, 6/9ths for an A and so on. Speaking of which, Shaper, would you be able to provide hosting for a video I made (AAA Abyss -The Heavens Remix- [7])? I have no idea if you can, but I felt that I should ask anyway. Wink

Also, I've always felt that the stereotype of IIDX being nothing but EDM to be fairly inaccurate. There's a fairly wide range of music in the game, genre-wise. Not as much as in Pop'n Music but good enough.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
There's a fairly wide range of music in the game, genre-wise. Not as much as in Pop'n Music but good enough.

Ok, I played Pop'n first, so pretty much everything else is genere specific in comparison. Yes, IIDX has a wide varity of music, but the best stuff is electronic in nature*. Anyways, overall I like IIDX's music the best of all the series... DDR is in last place. Yes, over Keyboardmania.

* you guessed it, that is opinion.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's EDM? i got it confused in my head with EBM, trying to figure out who the wumscutt/leatherstrip/apoptygma berzerk fan was.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what's EDM? i got it confused in my head with EBM, trying to figure out who the wumscutt/leatherstrip/apoptygma berzerk fan was.

Electronic Dance Music. Run your cursor over it in my above post if you haven't already for linkage.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh. he's one of *those* people.

Smile Embarassed Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Cool Confused Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: