The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pooping enemies out as eggs... again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Pooping enemies out as eggs... again! Reply with quote

Surely I'm not the only one playing Yoshi's Island 2... er, DS, right?

After Gamestop led me on a wild ride trying to find a copy, even though I had pre-paid it ahead of time, I finally managed to get a copy yesterday after driving all around the city.

Now that I've had a little while to play it, and get through the first world, I have to say I'm a little torn. It's technically a good game, but I have to wonder if maybe I should be expecting more from it. I don't really envision this thread as a discussion of Yoshi's Island itself, since we've already had a thread a while back discussing its merits and its place as a Mario game. Let's not view YI2 against the backdrop of other Mario games, but rather against the first Yoshi's Island.

For those of you who haven't played it, YI2 is basically just an entire new game based around the same exact gameplay as the first game. Not much is added, but with the addition of other babies besides Mario-- Peach, for example, who can float in wind gusts using her umbrella during a flutter jump. Also included are Luigi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser, although you don't start with them. You can switch babies on the fly by stepping on special 'stork buttons', at which point the stork flies up and you can switch.

So yeah, it's fun, and you'll probably enjoy it if you liked YI. I just can't help but feel that it could have been even better, and that I'm going easy on it because YI is one of my favorite games, hands down, ever. Part of my concern is that it feels like it was made with the 'Yoshi's Island Assembly Kit", much like the bonus levels from the GBA version of YI, and part of it is that so far, I've encountered one sub-boss so far that is directly pulled from the first game, but requires a different (and much easier) technique to beat it.

Now that I've taken a break from writing this to play an additional level, I've softened a bit. Baby DK's role is pretty cool-- he can climb and swing on vines, a lot like in Donkey Kong Jr. It's a classy touch, and makes me think maybe more thought has gone into the game than I previously expected.

So I've gone on long enough. What does everyone else think? Shaper, you've got to have bought this one, so that's at least one other person.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy, new babies!

my concern is that the game looks too similiar to the original. then again, the original isn't one of my favorite platformers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
oh boy, new babies!

I can't tell if you're serious!

Actually, the new babies do significantly improve gameplay. The game comes across as a mix of Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Bros 2 (US), in that diferent babies not only have different abilities, but also flutter jump durations, running speeds, and egg throwing capabilities. Plus there are goals that can only be reached with one baby or the other.

If you weren't a big fan of YI, I suppose it would be silly to recommend this one.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, friedchicken: if the graphics were derivative rather than identical, would you feel differently? I ask this because dessgeega brings up a good point: I think often the reason we find a sequel or the next iteration in a series stale is because it aesthetically feels entirely the same--whereas a stylization, a transformation in visual structure would actually contribute more than we'd think.

Actually, looking at the screenshots of YI2 kind of annoys me. I don't get the emtional squeeze I got when looking at YI1 or Celda.

Speaking of Celda, that's the perfect example: if Wind Waker had been anything but its whimsical, animated (in the literal sense of animation) self, it would feel tired--it might have even docked a few points off the final score. I really think the graphics matter that much: the radical change was still made syntactical sense in regards to Zelda, but it was a welcome interpretation of the concept.

I don't quite know what I'm getting at, but YI2's graphics don't impress me at all. They're even a downgrade from the original. If anything, they repel (and trust me, I want to like it...I'll most likely buy it soon).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incidentally, i've always been positive that yoshi is female because, shit, she lays eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had always sort of assumed Yoshi to be female too. But when I first got the SNES game, my Dad was watching me play it and asked me why the dinosaur pooped out eggs. Hence the subject!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi's Island was one of the first games I can remember owning. I'm pretty sure that Yoshi is a male and he poops the eggs out. At least, that's how I'll always think of it.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I need to backpedal on most of the bad things I said about Yoshi's Island 2.

So go out and play it now. You'll notice that world 1/stage 1 is almost identical to world 1/stage 1 in the first game. Likewise, much of world 1 will look strangely familiar. But after that the resemblance becomes much less distinct.

Case in point: World 3 is pirate-themed! And in world 2, there are snapdragons. Snapdragons, just like in Donkey Kong Jr. In fact, there are ton of unique enemies, and enemies that act differently from the way they did in earlier games-- Bullet Bills, for instance, don't stop firing when you stand next to them.

It's good. Honestly, I haven't been able to put it down.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snapdragons are always welcome. i assume you're using baby donkey kong to swing through the vines while they come from the top screen or something?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are climbing vines that don't move, and swinging vines that have really well done vines swinging physics. The snapdragons do mostly drop down from above by climbing down vines, but you have a lot of options as to going up and down between the two screens. I'm hoping for a snapdragon boss or midboss!

EDIT: Wow, I just got Baby Wario. He uses a magnet to attact coins and metal stuff.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a lot like how I felt about Super Princess Peach: it was put together using a formula while adding little new gameplay aspects.

Maybe was this done partially by TOSE?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screenshot of baby wario please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: