The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holy Crap. Culdcept US Screen Shots!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Holy Crap. Culdcept US Screen Shots! Reply with quote

Check this shit out. Games Are Fun has screenshots of the brand new 360 version of Culdcept in English! For those of you who aren't aware of what Culdcept is, imagine Monopoly mixed with Magic the Gathering and that's pretty much it.

What Culdcept means most to me though, is that the PS2 version is one of the first game that made me realize GameStop and EB had begun shipping minor releases to just a few stores. Despite the fact that there are 37 stores within a 25 mile radius of my house (I just looked it up. Insane!), it took me more than 5 calls before i finally found a store with a copy in stock. Aside from the removal of all online elements, the game didn't disappoint.

Now that Culdcept is coming out for the 360, presumably with online intact, I'm beyond pumped. I might even pre-order it! Relate your loving Culdcept story below and be pumped with me.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 am; edited 3 times in total
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My loving story about Culdecept is that I couldn't find a copy. Crying or Very sad
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bumping this in utter excitement. It looks like I may finally buy a 360. All I ask for is a solid release date! I've been hearing whispers of it since E3, but never anything solid. Simply teasers.

My affair with Culdcept is a long and happy one. I remember the first day I saw this in Gamestop. I was snacking on a delicious pretzel of sugar and cinnamon that day. I had asked what this was and nobody knew. I decided to pick it up since I had just gotten out of the Magic: The Gathering card game, but still had the "itch".

I booted up single player taking down Golligan the walking stick, chasing off Ryvern and Zagol, and bumping off Selena the naughty princess without breaking a sweat. I thought I had this game down and had wasted my 40 dollars. That is, until I faced Leo! Now here was an opponent who would test me for a good 2 weeks. Forcing me to learn the rules of the game and to make sense of the terrible engrish that some of the card descriptions had been etched with. He had quite the deck. Harpies, Pegasi, Undine, Lizardmen, and Gremlin were a sample of the mighty monsters he wielded. Casting them with these strange spells that left me clueless as to their true power Vitality, Growths, and Haste. His deck was just brutal compared to my starting deck of bugs and cats. I was outclassed and I knew it there was much I would have to do to conquer that mountain.

Seeing me struggle for 2 weeks, my roommate at the time wondered what the hell was so interesting about a game where the gameplay focused on cards and rather static backgrounds. What could be so compelling about a game where roll a die and pick a card? Do you like playing monopoly with yourself? I did not understand my infatuation with this game completely myself, but I informed him that "If you have to ask, you will never know".

A couple months have gone by and I had mastered the game. I faced all comers and fell all challengers. Thanks to the twin guns of "Kelpie" and "Old Willow", victory was certain. I felt superior. I shelved the game having mastered it that winter.

That is until one day I come home in September and see a familiar screen from outside my house. The hell is going on there, I wondered. Only I play videogames in that house. That was true until that cold autumn day. My roommate had actually picked up the controller and was playing a game that wasn't a sports title! And he has a friend in on the action as well! This must be how a father feels seeing his sons pick up a ball and bat for the first time. Seeing their mistakes and flashing back to my first time firing up this title. I tell them how to properly build books. The boons of chaining, and status effects. Clear meanings to some of the rarer cards and spells they have earned, customizing new decks, and streamlining the old ones, trading amongst each other. New life was born! Free-for-alls, combat amongst the toughest foe to conquer. Man.

Since that day we faced new decks and refined strategies amongst each other for the next couple of years. Along the way we bought 8 copies of the game to give to others that we have deemed worthy of our lessons. To see what they could dream up that I have not was the main reason why I always relished to challenge someone new. People venturing through the house almost always had a memory card in tow. It seems I wasn't the only one who wondered at what combinations could've been unearthed. First attack decks, spell tricks, idol strategies, weapon combinations, impenetrable defenses we had exhausted and exploited many strategies from each other in incorporated into our own greater goals. Many a match has ended in bitterness and spite, but none that couldn't be repaired over a lager and a pizza.

Sadly, since those days we have all had to move on with out lives. Some of us found love, others found work, and some had an opportunity. I am hoping that with this new release on X360 I can relive those days again! Despite being seperated from all my friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: