The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am ridiculously excited about the Wii
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned to the anti-Ocarina, pro-Majora's Mask people that the game basically flips back and forth between the two games' motifs? Good shit.

Explain.

As for me, I'll wait until Sueda 51's new project is revealed in detail. I can't even feign interest until then, except maybe for the new Metroid Prime game.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so people are apparently using the internet channel to play flash games with the wii remote. that's pretty nifty!

i would play this right away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST FOR YOU, DESS!

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy! i should make some cupcakes (for guilty girlie pleasures) and invite some of the ladies from lsm over. turf the boys out, ladies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget your own Tribadism party mix (£9.99) and Nintendini cocktails!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glamour wrote:
he controls the tv remote - i control the wii...

weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know if I wasn't at work I could make an appropriate photoshop of that photo. Curses.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the women who fit the demographic they're targeting are going to look at that and think 'what the fuck'. It's like when McDonalds had a total brand overhaul a couple of years back and ran those adverts that depicted 4 ladies who used a local McDonalds as the epicentre of their Sex and The City-style lifestyle. It seems forced and overly confident in the power of advertising to change people's behaviour and views on a dime.

Also, that article doesn't follow the Wii's marketing style guide very closely, since it mentions 'Nintendo' too many times. Probably because 'Wii Cocktail' didn't quite have the same ring to it.

I do think this ad is really frigging neat, though.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, the virtual console line-up seems a bit uneven. the nes port of donkey kong instead of the arcade (even though i loved the donkey kong / donkey kong junior double cart when i was little), the nes port of mario bros. instead of the arcade or even kaettekita mario bros., the famicom disk system rerelease that was created to correct the deficiencies in the original port. and i still think bomberman 94 is more polished than 93.

(simcity is an inspired choice, though, and wario's woods - the last nes game - was a good pick too. solomon's key rocks my socks as well, though zipang has better music.)

there does seem to be a kind of opening-act thing going on in the initial line-up. the first mario game(s), the first sonic game (and the first genesis pack-in), the first zelda, the first pc genjin. and pinball rounds out the "early nes" selection.

the article / feature / jeremy parish running his mouth off mentions that pce / turbo whatsis emulation isn't as solid as that of the other platforms. second opinions on this observation please! preferably from people who have played the originals and can compare, but if you've only played the virtual console version i'd still like your impression.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hey, i dug up the japanese virtual console release list.

i think this is the "through december" line-up. i am boldfacing the ones i don't expect the american virtual console to receive but which would probably get me excited about a wii.

Famicom — 500 points each

* Ice Hockey (Nintendo)
* Urban Champion (Nintendo)
* Legend of Kage (Taito)
* Gradius (Konami)
* Go-moku Narabe (Nintendo)
* Soccer (Nintendo)
* Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
* Xevious (Bandai Namco)
* Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
* Solomon’s Key (Tecmo)
* Tennis (Nintendo)
* Donkey Kong (Nintendo)
* Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo)
* Ninja Jajamaru-kun (Jaleco)
* Pinball (Nintendo)
* Baseball (Nintendo)
* Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
* Wario’s Woods (Nintendo)

Super Famicom — 800 points each unless otherwise noted

* F-Zero (Nintendo)
* R-Type III (Irem)
* Super Castlevania IV (Konami)
* Contra III (Konami)
* Sim City (Nintendo): 900
* Street Fighter II (Capcom)
* Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo)
* Super Mario World (Nintendo)
* Zelda: Link to the Past (Nintendo): 900
* Fire Emblem: Monsho no Nazo (Nintendo) 900
* Mario Super Picross (Nintendo)

Nintendo 64 — 1000 points

* Super Mario 64 (Nintendo)

Mega Drive — 600 points

* Ecco The Dolphin (Sega)
* Gunstar Heroes (Sega)
* Golden Axe (Sega)
* Columns (Sega)
* Shadow Dancer (Sega)
* Altered Beast (Sega)
* Space Harrier II (Sega)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
* Toejam and Earl (Sega)
* Puyo Puyo (Sega)
* Ristar (Sega)

PC Engine — 600 points

* Bonk’s Adventure (Hudson)
* Necromancer (Hudson)
* Super Star Soldier (Hudson)
* New Adventure Island (Hudson)
* Dungeon Explorer (Hudson)
* Battle Lode Runner (Hudson)
* Victory Run (Hudson)
* Bomberman ‘94 (Hudson)

(space harrier 2 will probably be japan-only too but i don't care.)

hey, it turns out bomberman 94 is on the japanese virtual console. maybe it was never released in the west? is gunstar heroes being released on the western virtual console? what about dungeon explorer?

i presume ice hockey and urban champion are going to see release westabouts. those will make for some pretty swell multiplayer. and toejam & earl.

if soldier blade was released in the future, that would make me pretty happy.

so how does this list compare to the ones of y'all have on your wiis? is there anything western-exclusive, or is the western list just japanese list minus some stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I were to import a Japanese Wii, would I be able to pay for Wii points and purchase VC games in the U.S.? Will a U.S. credit card work for buying things in foreign currancy? I have no experience with that sort of thing. If it works without a hitch...oh my!
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hey, it turns out bomberman 94 is on the japanese virtual console. maybe it was never released in the west? is gunstar heroes being released on the western virtual console? what about dungeon explorer?

Yes to all three. Bomberman '94 didn't get a western release, but it was ported to the megadrive and released here that way.
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
So if I were to import a Japanese Wii, would I be able to pay for Wii points and purchase VC games in the U.S.? Will a U.S. credit card work for buying things in foreign currancy? I have no experience with that sort of thing. If it works without a hitch...oh my!

I know that with itunes, you need a Japanese credit card or a Japanese itunes card (and you need to create a separate account for the Japanese store) to buy Japanese music (which I've done before). I mean, I can't imagine that a Japanese Wii (that only speaks Japanese) will suddenly transform your store into the American one if you have Japanese points and everything. Unless they prevent you from logging on to the Japanese server somehow....?

To do internet stuff you have to create an account at MyNintendo.com. So maybe you'll need a Club Nintendo account for the Japanese Wii? I don't know. There are so many things Nintendo could do to prevent us from logging on to the Japanese VC.

Play-Asia sells Japanese Wii points cards, so I guess we'll have to find out if all this works when the Wii comes out in Japan on December 2nd (and hey, component cables, too!). I'm sure SOMEONE on the internet has an import Wii ordered, and is dying to know if we can do all this.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I totally forgot that the Wii was not out in Japan yet. Then I am sure someone will attempt to do it and provide the internet with the results. I guess the same goes for the Euro Wii, they are getting Commodore 64 stuff on their VC.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About C64 on Wii from Gamasutra:

According to reports in the official U.S. Nintendo Power magazine subsequently confirmed by Gamasutra, several classic titles made popular on the Commodore 64 games will appear on the Wii’s virtual console.

The only indications so far are of titles from now defunct U.S. developer Epyx, maker of the likes of Impossible Mission and the Summer/Winter/World/California Games series. Best known for their work on the 8-bit Commodore 64 home computer, Epyx also designed the prototype Lynx console for Atari as well as several of its games.

Epyx filed for bankruptcy in 1989 and its assets were subsequently obtained by British developer System 3 (aka Studio 3), whose own titles Epyx had published in North America. System 3 were one of the most respected Commodore 64 developers in Europe, responsible for classics such as The Last Ninja, Myth, International Karate (aka World Karate Championship), IK+ and Putty.

[UPDATE: Gamasutra has received a statement from System 3's Mark Cale on the deal: "System 3 are doing virtual console games for the Wii including Impossible Mission which will go live in December. Other titles include California Games and The Last Ninja. We are also supporting the Wii with retail boxed games and we have 3 titles available for launch. They are Gottlieb Pinball Classics, Super Fruit Fall and Puzzle Ball with Leaderboard and Tennis Masters to follow in January."]

However, there has been no announcement from other publishers as to whether their back catalogue titles made famous on the Commodore 64 will also be offered on the service.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
To do internet stuff you have to create an account at MyNintendo.com.

Is that true? Am I missing out on something available right now by not doing that?
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the VC stuff from the other regions stands head and shoulders above the pittance that is our offerings. They are getting things that I have never owned and want to pay for the playing of.

I thought the point of it was to showcase all the stuff that we never were given the chance to experience? Oh Nintendo, you always get it not quite right in the first rounds.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the point of it was to milk whatever nostalgia Nintendo can continue to suck out of the 18+ crowd, as they always do.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...nintendo milking their fanbase for all their worth is always priority #1.

I was just hoping that they had several other priorities besides wringing us out for more monies.

The last remake I bought was Super Mario All-Stars and that was only because it had Lost Levels. I'm dumb enough to still own the old carts so I never had to really buy most of the remakes.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Epyx games keep showing up like a bad penny. Of all the pirated brilliance on the C64, only 2 or 3 of those games are in the top 20 or 30.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Tim wrote:

Is that true? Am I missing out on something available right now by not doing that?

So you didn't have to, and you can still get updates and use the shop? I thought it was mandatory, but I guess it isn't!

My bad!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
simplicio wrote:
Tim wrote:

So you didn't have to, and you can still get updates and use the shop? I thought it was mandatory, but I guess it isn't!

My bad!

right, I downloaded an update or two and paid for "Bomberman 93" without a proper Nintendo account. What's the benefit of having one?
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the benefit of integrating a mynintendo account doesn't seem to be really obvious yet. i assume it might be the same as when you register your games with Nintendo: you gain points that can be redeemed for (generally) silly crap like stickers or images or something like that. the only reason i had created an account was because it was one of the ways to receive that Zelda Collector's Disc (with the NES games, Majora's Mask, etc.). that kind of thing doesn't seem to be the norm with it, though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tried that in Europe for a while but it's too big a territory - the free incentives you traded your Nintendo points for would get sold out within minutes and the traffic would crash the servers the moment they became available, as was the case with the Zelda Collector's disc.

The Get! Mario Club Nintendo thing they have in Japan works really well, though. You can get cooler shit there, too, like specially coloured controllers, a game and watch collection for the DS, and other stuff. They're always in stock, too.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
a game and watch collection for the DS, and other stuff.

You just made my eyes light up!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

Yeah, it's aparently impossible to find now and expensive as hell when you do. I really wish it got a US release... all those double screen Game and Watch stuff.

Also, the VC is shockingly dissapointing. Not only are your games only tied to your console, but there is no way to recover them on a crashed system by having it tied to your nintendo.com account. I have become exceptionally hesitant to buy any games because of this. Also, I remember the list of launch titles for the VC including Toe Jam and Earl as well as Super Metroid, yet both are missing.

Oh, yeah, the exceptional difficulty of getting component cables is pissing me off. I mean, I just expected to have to wait a week or so to find some but no. Seriously, Nintendo really underestimated their user base on this.

AND! I just found out that widescreen is faked for the Wii. All games (even through component) are at a 640X480 resolution (which is why VC games look stretched on WS TVs). To avoid geting into it too much I'll just state that this is exceptionally disapointing for a system that boasted widescreen support with almost all games.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
AND! I just found out that widescreen is faked for the Wii. All games (even through component) are at a 640X480 resolution.

Sad
link?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, I remember the list of launch titles for the VC including Toe Jam and Earl as well as Super Metroid

You remember wrong about Super Metroid. I know because I looked very hard for it and was disappointed.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
AND! I just found out that widescreen is faked for the Wii. All games (even through component) are at a 640X480 resolution.

Sad
link?

"the Wii's widescreen is not 852x480 but a mere 640x480 stretched to 16:9."
I don't have a documented official link though, sorry.

Also, one of the "major" game news site had both TJ&E and Super Metroid on their list of launch titles for the VC. So... yeah.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I had worked from. And not having Toe Jam & Earl is indeed a disappointment![/url]
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The utterly patronising IGN reviewer is a laugh. Not only does he blatantly insult users for doing what Nintendo expects them to do, he manages to condone that position at the same time.

Around Non-Gamers, Never Relax.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I remember the list of launch titles for the VC including Toe Jam and Earl as well as Super Metroid, yet both are missing.

They're adding games every week. Both games are bound to show up eventually. Bomberman 93 and Bonk's Adventure were added last week, for example.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Star Soldier was just added.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

That's a weird website. Who would devote so much time to a website about something they don't like? I'm with Snoop Doggy Dogg on this one- 'F' THE HATERZ
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who would devote so much time to a website about something they don't like?

i think that's just some dude, but i like the pic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Also, the VC is shockingly dissapointing. Not only are your games only tied to your console, but there is no way to recover them on a crashed system by having it tied to your nintendo.com account. I have become exceptionally hesitant to buy any games because of this.

The games are tied to the console such that, if your system crashes and you get it repaired... you can re-download them for free. But yeah... only on the same physical system.

Purchases really should be tied to your nintendo.com account, logically. Although... can you link a single nintendo.com account to multiple consoles? If so - that is probably the reason why they are doing it this way. If you could just link your account to a bunch of consoles, only pay for each game once and put it on all of them - they'd lose money.

I'm still hoping the prices drop per VC game, honestly. By the time the price is converted into Canadian and tax is added... even NES games are pretty damn expensive.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Cycle wrote:

That's a weird website. Who would devote so much time to a website about something they don't like? I'm with Snoop Doggy Dogg on this one- 'F' THE HATERZ

Someone who really dislikes all the cock-ups Nintendo is known for racking up, yet gets away with?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Cycle wrote:

Someone who really dislikes all the cock-ups Nintendo is known for racking up, yet gets away with?

Is it that different from Sony and Microsoft, then?

Frankly I don't think the site is anti-Wii.

And maybe Nintendo didn't have enough big strong guys to hurl the controller as hard as they could and see if the string held.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pal brought over his Wii to another pals house, and a whole group of us were going to town on Wii Sports. But he had these Wii Remote rubber covers for his controllers, and they were suprisingly comfertable. Plus they grip really really well. The only complaint is they sort of make all the buttons level with the grip, but its not that hard to deal with.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Who would devote so much time to a website about something they don't like?

i think that's just some dude, but i like the pic.

Coincidently, that guy looks kind of similar to this guy some friends of mine and I got into a car chase with because my friend Cameron yelled "Yee-haw" at him when we were coming back from Best Buy one night this summer. The guy shouted such things as "I'll betcha yee-haw reeal nice wit a boot up yewr ass" and chased us for an abnormally long time, probably because I was egging him on even more after that. Good times.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I took that stupid strap off of my main controller. I'm risking it all.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Cycle wrote:

It's his free time, if that's the best way he can think to spend it then good luck to him. If you're raising awareness about some awful fair trade malady or similar concern I can see the point in devoting a website to something you don't like, but when it's something as trivial as this... life is too short!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to be a dick, but you are posting on a video game forum right now.

it's a reasonable application of time, at least as reasonable as any other product-level watchdog type situation can be. in the case of lovemarks like nintendo or apple, it might be a bit more necessary if only because it will be less widespread.

and web feedback will become even more important as user publishing capabilities improve; the kryptonite lock bic pen video being the most obvious example of the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It's his free time, if that's the best way he can think to spend it then good luck to him. If you're raising awareness about some awful fair trade malady or similar concern I can see the point in devoting a website to something you don't like, but when it's something as trivial as this... life is too short!

It's a fanboy site, not a bunch of haters.
It's no more anti_nintendo than Palm Graveyard was anti-Palm back in the day.

If it was such a negative site you wouldn't have articles like Wii Tips & Tricks You Should Know ...
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just doesn't sound like the most fun hobby in the world, that's all.

EDIT: Oh ok I read Kirkjerk's post. Carry on!
Rud13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
friedchicken wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

Yeah, it's aparently impossible to find now and expensive as hell when you do. I really wish it got a US release... all those double screen Game and Watch stuff.

I see it fairly often, and if anyone is interesting in me procuring a copy they are welcome to pm me.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm'ed!
BalbanesBeoulve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys see this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RrZePmc68&eurl=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: