The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am ridiculously excited about the Wii
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAARRRRRGGHHHH There are so many spoilers in IGN's spoiler-free twilight princess review.

What is the frigging MATTER with some people.
Laco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
AAAAAARRRRRGGHHHH There are so many spoilers in IGN's spoiler-free twilight princess review.

That's why I haven't read any reviews for games I'm looking forward to for the past couple of years. It still gets me occasionally though; I was watching a Zelda retrospective on gametrailers.com (purposely avoiding the Twilight Princess stuff) and it was pretty interesting to see the whole history of the series, having not played many. Then when they get to the one I'm playing now, Wind Waker, *BAM*, they spoil the entire game, without warning. I mean, sure, it's been out for a couple of years, but it's not like they did that for any of the others.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
me wrote:
They're about to review the Wii on the BBC's Newsnight Review! Within 10 minutes we will know what Elvis-quiffed gobshite Mark Kermode thought of Wii Sports! The excitement in this room is palpable!

They loved it! Firstly, it was apparent that they'd bonded somewhat over their time spent playing. There was a kind of locker room geniality between the panelists as they discussed the various sports. You should know that the youngest person on this panel was about 35 and the oldest, Josephine Hart, was about 100, I think.

Film Critic Mark Kermode usually hates and never plays computer games, but enjoyed the Wii. Music Journalist Paul Morley liked it a lot, but I got the impression he'd had prior experience with it. He got into the boxing a little too much, apparently. Comedian Natalie Hayes loved it and thought the graphics were amazing. Novelist Josephine Hart was the exception. She found it 'boring.' She came to terms with her son's gaming because games are reaching a point where they're somewhat akin to movies or novels, and games like GTA 'teach you about consequence', or something. To her, the Wii represents a wrongful step backwards from that. Fuck her.

All in all, a good response, I think.

I saw this. I've been waiting eagerly for the moment when Review talk about computer games, and this seems like a nice sign. I did notice that they seemed to be considering the games in terms of "virtual reality" or "film" and stuff, which I don't really think is the point, but that's what happens when they never review games.

I ordered my Wii online, and have to play the horrible game of Uncertainty! I've been told they're going to ring and email everyone to let them know their order status, but in the meantime I'm left twiddling my thumbs. I've booked a couple of days off work, so I'll have a four day weekend to wait for it to arrive and get to make Miis of all my friends (and then pummel them into unconciousness).
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Why do you read IGN?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was linked to from another site

And it had a Zelda review on it.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gamespot, Red Steel is a 5.5.

Is anyone surprised? What a stupid, stupid move, Nintendo, that will only tarnish your reputation.
xvs07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone who's reading this, Radio Shack is doing Wii preorders *right* *now*. I just scored one. I'd move fast if the timestamp on this is less than ten minutes old.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:

Is anyone surprised? What a stupid, stupid move, Nintendo, that will only tarnish your reputation.

Harveyjames wrote:
Ubisoft's games are always well-meaning but ultimately erring on the side of crappy
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It was linked to from another site

And it had a Zelda review on it.

Why are you reading Zelda press, don't you know if you're going to buy the game or not already?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the title of this thread.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:

Wait, I missed something. What's a stupid move and going to tarnish Nintendo's reputation?
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generating a lot of hype over a mediocre game (probably just because it's your only FPS at launch)?

I lost interest in Red Steel the first time I saw the bullet time staple gun special move. There's nothing even remotely cool about pausing your game in order to call shots at people. If they really needed to do a slow motion effect, they should have done it like Viewtiful Joe and allowed you to do ridiculous tricks like shooting people's guns out their hands.

Anyway, I have a question: The Virtual Console can't play multiplayer games over the net, right? (Because that would be an excellent and worthy new feature, and we're talking about the only company who still don't put ethernet sockets on their consoles.)
player 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethernet ports suck.

Also, netplay is hard.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw my first Wii advert on TV. It was exactly like the Japanese ones but with the voiceover dubbed by an English woman. YAY
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Generating a lot of hype over a mediocre game (probably just because it's your only FPS at launch)?

Oh, that. But Red Steel is an Ubisoft game; shouldn't people get mad at them for the hype instead of Nintendo?

I mean, isn't that like getting mad at Microsoft because EA's The Godfather was a travesty?

I've been seeing a lot of backlash against what seems to be--and here's the part that puzzles me--the fact that Red Steel even exists. I say this because obviously, as the system it runs on is, you know, unreleased, very few people have had the chance to experience the title in its finished form. I'm not sure what all the bile is about. I read Gamespot's 5.5 review, in which they took it to task more for its gaming genre in general and the action movies it was trying to emulate specifically than for the game's flaws. It could indeed turn out to be a crappy game without redeeming features, or a strikingly mediocre one (come on, 'launch title' and 'FPS' can't really have people expecting the the next System Shock or Half-Life 2, right?), and then the loathing would be entirely justified. I'm just confused by the pre-emptive anger, is all.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
purplechair wrote:

Oh, that. But Red Steel is an Ubisoft game; shouldn't people get mad at them for the hype instead of Nintendo?

Well, Nintendo originally came to Ubisoft about producing the game. They even held off from showing any first party titles to allow Red Steel to be the first announced Wii game.

The problem with the game itself though is that it misses the point of the Wii completely. Instead of reading your motions with the Wii remote and then representing them exactly on-screen, you perform a gesture which triggers a canned animation sequence that you have to let play out before you can make another gesture. Essentially they've substituted button presses for hand gestures, where nothing about how the game is played is actually fundamentally changed other than the fact that now you're making hand gestures instead of just pressing a button as you would before. A good game to contrast what I'm talking about here is Wii Sports, wherein if you swing a baseball bat the bat on-screen is going to swing however you've swung it in real life.

On top of that, the FPS bit strikes me as amazingly stupid and counter-intuitive. Rather than using the remote as a pointer to serve the same function as a mouse, you instead hold a button to go into aim mode, where you then move the targeting reticule about the screen while your character remains stationary in the game. Essentially it's the same way of aiming and shooting as in Resident Evil 4, but that game was designed with that kind of aiming/shooting in mind. Doing it like that in first person just seems entirely unnatural.

To get a better idea of how the game controls look at the manual scans here. Rather than a simple, intuitive control scheme we've got something that looks too complicated for it's own good.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
The problem with the game itself though is that it misses the point of the Wii completely. Instead of reading your motions with the Wii remote and then representing them exactly on-screen, you perform a gesture which triggers a canned animation sequence that you have to let play out before you can make another gesture. Essentially they've substituted button presses for hand gestures, where nothing about how the game is played is actually fundamentally changed other than the fact that now you're making hand gestures instead of just pressing a button as you would before. A good game to contrast what I'm talking about here is Wii Sports, wherein if you swing a baseball bat the bat on-screen is going to swing however you've swung it in real life.

On top of that, the FPS bit strikes me as amazingly stupid and counter-intuitive. Rather than using the remote as a pointer to serve the same function as a mouse, you instead hold a button to go into aim mode, where you then move the targeting reticule about the screen while your character remains stationary in the game. Essentially it's the same way of aiming and shooting as in Resident Evil 4, but that game was designed with that kind of aiming/shooting in mind. Doing it like that in first person just seems entirely unnatural.

To get a better idea of how the game controls look at the manual scans here. Rather than a simple, intuitive control scheme we've got something that looks too complicated for it's own good.

See, looking at the instruction book it looks like they've mapped it pretty well to the controller. I mean, you swing the controller down to kneel down and pick up ammo. Not sure that's really that different from swinging the controller up to throw up a tennis ball. I'm also not sure about where you're getting your "aim mode" description. I'll admit I haven't kept up very much on the game, but I was pretty sure the bullet time thing was more of a special move than something you do every time you see an enemy. I could be totally off here.

The complaints I've heard from people who have played it have all been in relation to how unfinished the game feels. I'm guessing conceptually the game probably doesn't have any major problems, but since they had a restricted development time to get the game out in time for launch there's a lack of tightness.

I'm sure it will sell well and I'm pretty sure some of those people will be convinced that it's a good game. I don't see how it could possibly be any worse than Perfect Dark Zero.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
If they really needed to do a slow motion effect, they should have done it like Viewtiful Joe and allowed you to do ridiculous tricks like shooting people's guns out their hands.

The review I read says that's exactly what you do.
xvs07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... did anybody actually *get* one yet? Probably a stupid question because the individuals who might affirm are occupied...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCKING WIIIIIIIIIIII

FUCKING WIIIIIIIIIII
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a caption contest?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm sure it will sell well and I'm pretty sure some of those people will be convinced that it's a good game. I don't see how it could possibly be any worse than Perfect Dark Zero.

Well, just watch the review at gametrailers, and ask yourself, "Does this look any worse than Perfect Dark Zero?". Because my answer would be, "At least PDZ didn't have an hour long learning curve to figure out how to control it.".
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephine hart wrote a book called Damage. it's a good book.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa, wrong thread, trying again.

I got my Wii after an all-nighter and had enough time to play one match of Tennis with a friend before heading off to work, where I am typing this post

It was really fun though. I picked it up in seconds.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Is this a caption contest?

Yep. My entry:

LOL THE XBOX IS HUGE LOL
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Wii GET, after 8 hours wait at the Fred Meyer. I was number 16, and they had 52 units. I was so freaking tired when it was all done that I had to wait to set it up until mid morning today. But overall Fred Meyer (a local department store/Target type place/grocery store) did a great job with the midnight launch for a place that hasn't done midnight launches previously, and the only real downside was that it was terribly cold and windy. Tennis and Bowling were both fun-- bowling is much less 'patterny' seeming than other video game bowling I've played. It feels pretty real. We didn't crack Zelda yet.

Plus! I designed my Mii to have super weird intense eyes.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requesting more Wii photos from Lestrade. That is a sassy looking machine.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored mine this morning from the local Wal-Mart. It opened at 7, girlfriend and I showed up at 6:30 and were #15 out of 18 units. Ironically, I was 15th out of 14 preorders at the local EB earlier this month.

I'm sure glad I didn't rely on the numbers from that Wiiseeker.com, though--they had the local Wal-Mart at 53 units.

I had time for about 20 minutes of Wii Sports before going to work today; I'm still struck dumb at how utterly awesome both the execution of that game and the general concept of the Wii are. I mean, I half expected it to not quite live up to the hype, but it totally does and then some.

Happy freaking 23rd birthday, indeed.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy freaking twenty-third birthday, greatsaintlouis!
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
Requesting more Wii photos from Lestrade. That is a sassy looking machine.

Sure thing!

Before:
Just before I tore into it

After:
Best launch package I've ever seen

Beauty shot:
A wee Wii

Action shots!
Wii Action Shot #1 Wii Action Shot #2
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some sexy Wiimote modelling!

So I'm still trying to whip Wii Sports into shape. The controller presents an interesting dillemma: it allows the user to approximate a normal movement and translate that into a game movement; swinging the racquet in Tennis, for example. However, I'm not entirely sure how my real-life movement translates into the game; my Mii character has a fairly similar tennis swing animation each time, yet I'm beginning to discern a relation between things like the angle of my swing, if I twist my wrist, etc. and how the ball flies. It's truly like playing a game of tennis in which you can't see your racquet. I'm having a lot of fun slowly getting the hang of it. Now Golf is another matter entirely--I think I was something like 10 over par on my first hole because I just kept blasting the damn ball back into the rough.

Red Steel I haven't put as much time into, but I liked what I played so far. It's going to take me a while to get used to the whole Wiimote-as-FPS-mouse concept, though. The little touches in the game were what immediately grabbed me; during a shootout in a restaraunt kitchen, one of my poorly-aimed bullets hit the burner of a propane stove, causing the whole thing to explode and reducing the kitchen's enemy count by about three. I was quite impressed. Still need more time on it, though.

And in a really strange turn of events, the Wii actually runs Freeloader discs! My Gamecube is one of the newer versions that has the Digital Out port removed from the back; it also refuses to boot my Freeloader disc which had worked perfectly on the earlier revision of the system that still had the Digital Out port. To my surprise, the Wii loaded the disc right away, and soon I was playing Shikigami no Shiro 2.

So does anyone have any reports about some of the other launch titles? I'm especially interested in hearing how Metal Slug Anthology and Trauma Center are. Heck, I might even be just a tad interested in Twilight Princess!

dessgeega wrote:

Thank you very much!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Just before I tore into it

My favorite quote from the wii launch press so far is this, emphasis mine:

Chris Kohler at wired news wrote:
Using the Wiimote for NES games is alright, I guess. But since the Classic Controller extension isn't available yet (they haven't sent me one, anyway) I'll have to use the GameCube controller for anything more complicated than NES.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have half a Wii. Sort of.

A friend of mine waited in line, picked one up, and probably right after Thanksgiving I'm going to buy it off of him.

Quick thoughts:
I don't like the design. This glossy white plastic thing dual layer thing worked ok for an iBook, but for a Wii it just looks like a toilet. I think I will be owning mine with stickers, my protest against industrial design I don't dig. I loved the GC's design, and the N64 was ok.

Making a Mii was surprisingly satisfying.

Battiing practice was cool, and boxing was energetic.

So this thing is 100% GC compatible? Kewl... It's funny how I'm less aware of these issues these days.

Other slowly dawning awreness: SD memory cards??? SWEET. Mostly for this reason: increasingly, I resent having to master a game in a single player kind of way in order to unlock multiplayer fun. But I've never quite mustered sending away for a device for that. 100% complete downloads, here I come...

Playing Zelda, I guess I see what people mean by the system feels less next-gen.

Overall I'm less psyched than I've been for previous launches, at least the GC; but the GC had Star Wars and Smash Brothers almost on launch.

Part of it is just me getting older, and having fewer friends who can make time for gaming.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I'm especially interested in hearing how Metal Slug Anthology and Trauma Center are. Heck, I might even be just a tad interested in Twilight Princess!

Metal Slug, sadly, has been pushed back until the 28th, but I've got it preordered, so I'll post about it. As for Twilight Princess, let's say I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it, after all the silly hype.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I'll second that! And sorry about the wiiseeker stuff-- I wasn't sure about the numbers either, but it was good to be able to visually plot out the locations. As it is, Fred Meyer wasn't even on there!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we consider a new Wii-specific thread or is one probably enough?

Anyway, furhter Wii thoughts:

the new controllers present some interesting vocabulary challenges, both in the "mental vocabulary" and in how to intelligibly communicate w/ other gamers, as in a FAQ. Roll, pitch, yaw.... it's kind of crazy. With a traditional controller, the # of possible moves were well-bounded, and I was aware of those boundaries, but now I'm not sure. (For instance Wii-Sports baseball; all my pitches turn into fastballs, and I haven't researched it but it seems like a txt faq might be hard pressed to describe the swing...)

Making it worse, of course, is the lack of pushback.... it's kind of weird that the player, in general can flail wildly, but the mapping to the movement on screen is likely much more constrained. My friend claims that I oversteer in ExciteTruck a lot, maybe because of this.

I really enjoyed the Wii-Sports boxing, but it was a little but unsatisfying because there isn't that one to one mapping between the fighter's fists and the players.... the boxer has some concept of recharge time. I think games that manage to preserve a 1-to-1 mapping between the control's position and someting inside the game should be commended.

(Plus does the thumbstick part of the nunchuk have a position sensor, or just an accelerameter?)

Someone pointed out that one area of improvement is not so much the mapping w/ the onscreen avatar (ala acting as an Excite Truck steering thing) but as a pointer, like the fairy in Zelda; in a way, that opens up the same kind of mapping that the DS touchscreen features.
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the deal with the Wii LAN adaptor? Is it out yet, or is that something that's coming soon?

Giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt once more, I re-installed my WiFi USB dongle, thinking that the updated software from their website would fix all of my previous woes. I was able to update my Wii and get access to QVC or whatever their online shop is called (WTF, I thought they were providing Opera as a free download? Where is it?), but I still had the same issues with the adaptor as I did upon Mario Kart's release; namely, I could only connect if I completely disabled my firewall (different firewall program this time, so I know that's not the case) and the Registration Tool would freeze up and become entirely unusable upon rebooting my PC. I took a look at the forums on NintendoWifi.com, and noted a number of people that seemed to have problems connecting to the adaptor as well. Unfortunately, the moderators employ a mantra of "Oh, look at the FAQS and troubleshooters on the site, they'll fix everything." Obviously, they don't, and the combination of miserably unhelpful 'service' with an abysmal product that I have yet to see work properly once means I'm just not going to screw with it anymore. I've never had problems with wired internet and I'm glad that Nintendo is giving us this option. I'm not sure where that leaves my DS as far as playing with people online, but I have yet to do so even once and can't really say there's any sort of must-have killer app yet that makes me want to invest the time in it.
Fred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, that is some fine Wii-tography and a Public Good for all. Good show.

In separate news, I don't necessarily know what's going on here but I support it nonetheless. All credit goes to some dude on myspace what is friends with a buddy's daughter.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Metal Slug, sadly, has been pushed back until the 28th, but I've got it preordered, so I'll post about it. As for Twilight Princess, let's say I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it, after all the silly hype.

Well, no loss that Metal Slug was pushed back--I need a paycheck or two under my belt now before I buy anything else anyways. Wii + supplies for Thanksgiving dinner + Christmas presents takes a tremendous toll on the wallet.
But Twilight Princess, I'd love to hear your impressions! I'm on the fence as it is--I have little patience and less love for Ocarina, but then I have heard such amazing things about Twilight Princess that I feel I should give it as much of a chance as possible. I'll probably try to rent it over the Thanksgiving break if the local Blockbuster stocks Wii games.

Quote:
And sorry about the wiiseeker stuff-- I wasn't sure about the numbers either, but it was good to be able to visually plot out the locations. As it is, Fred Meyer wasn't even on there!

Oh, no worries--every location save for Target, with 33 units, was color-coded for Unconfirmed, so I tried not to rely too much on the numbers. My local area was pretty sparse on the map, too--no Fred Meyers, the local GameCrazy was out, and for some reason EB and Gamestop were combined into one entry with 28 units each. I figure that had to be off since EB alone had 14 preorders and a handful of extra units for launch; Gamestop itself had something around 30 preorders. Still, like you said it was neat to be able to see the major locations. I wonder if Toys 'R Us really got 83 Wiis, though.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
(For instance Wii-Sports baseball; all my pitches turn into fastballs, and I haven't researched it but it seems like a txt faq might be hard pressed to describe the swing...)

Check the WiiSports manual; you have to hold down buttons for different pitches. "A" is a curveball, "B" is a screwball, and holding both gives you a splitter.

I finally got a second set of controllers yesterday, so my wife and I played some WiiSports. Tennis is really fun two-player, and boxing was great. However, I sort of felt guilty smashing my wife's face in. Sort of.

I love how the disc slot glows blue when you have new WiiConnect24 messages. Waking up to see that is like getting a little present in the mail!

I'm about 5 1/2 hours into Twilight Princess, and the game has only now entered Zelda Mode (I was dicking around for a bit at first). I am so enthralled with this game; I feel like I did playing the original Zelda back in 1986. I love Midna and the way she interacts with you; I love the integration of the Wiimote speaker to the gameplay (unsheathing your sword is sublime). And though the game obviously isn't up to par with, say, Gears of War, on a visual level, what everyone has been saying is true: once you start playing, you just don't give a damn. Zelda has some great art direction, which counts for a lot.

Normally, I want games to be 15–20 hours in length, tops. With Zelda, however, I'm cherishing the notion of a long, epic game. It's just so much fun, and there's so much to do, it feels like a true adventure, instead of a game I'm trying to beat. I hope the variety is kept up over the entire quest, because so far it feels like anything can happen.

Which, I suppose, is what the Wii is about, isn't it?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
(For instance Wii-Sports baseball; all my pitches turn into fastballs, and I haven't researched it but it seems like a txt faq might be hard pressed to describe the swing...)

Check the WiiSports manual; you have to hold down buttons for different pitches. "A" is a curveball, "B" is a screwball, and holding both gives you a splitter.

Aha... surprised that wasn't in the onscreen hints...
I heard there's a similar issue w/ fishing w/ a bobber in Zelda, that it's very rough to figure out the motions for it at first. That's one thing, if you're going to have an innovative control scheme, you need to explain it very well, preferably in-game...
Quote:

I finally got a second set of controllers yesterday, so my wife and I played some WiiSports. Tennis is really fun two-player, and boxing was great. However, I sort of felt guilty smashing my wife's face in. Sort of.

I need to get my second pair...preferably 3 or 4 but 2 is a start...where did you get yours?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Lestrade wrote:

I need to get my second pair...preferably 3 or 4 but 2 is a start...where did you get yours?

Yeah, I'll second that-- I looked all over yesterday trying to find a classic controller (I had my shot when I bought the system but foolishly passed it up), but nobody, and I mean NOBODY had any controllers, period. Gamestop, in fact, claims that the classic controller hasn't even been released.

Okay, so Zelda. I should say ahead of time that I deliberately didn't watch any videos of it or read any previews so that it would be entirely new to me when I played it. And yeah, I don't want the game to be done, ever.

Lestrade is absolutely right on all counts. The little details of Zelda are part of what makes it. The first time I got the 'secret' tune, played on the Wiimote's speaker, my wife and I just looked at each other, both wide eyed and grinning, like the world's biggest dorks. I don't want to be the one to give away too much about it by discussing where I am in the game right now, but let's say that the controls are expertly developed, suprisingly, compared to other games in the same genre that have implemented such... controls in a non-intuitive way. Nothing is strained, or seems that belabored.

I have noticed (across several games) that the controls are overexplained in some instanced and left completely unexplained in others, where it might have been helpful. At least the overexplaining hasn't een in Zelda, where it might have ruined the game, but in Sports, where I guess as the first game a lot of Wii owners are going to play, they felt they needed to constantly drill it into you. But I was one of the people who had trouble with the fishing, but probably just because I'm so impatient, and fishing is all about patience.

I'm at a loss to explain why I've heard a fair amount of bitching about the graphics, because they're beautiful. The characters' faces animate smoothly, the texturing doesn't ever look 'cheap' or tossed off like it does in a lot of games, and everything is really detailed. When you cut grasses, some of it cuts and some of it just bends. There are lots of liittle clever things.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jsut want another Wii-mote and nunchuk pair...

re: the graphics... I haven't really seen much on 360/PS3, but it's still kind of annoying how, say, the ground is shaped in Zelda, like in the village, just a bit clunky.

Also, how does this generation do with circles? I'm amused at how like in Super Monkey Ball on the GC you can still count the sides, more or less...
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You jerks are now officially living two and half weeks in the future.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda is so freaking good. I got stuck somewhere in the pre-Twilight World stuff at the very beginning, but as soon as that stuff happened the game's really taken off. It's really something special. Why hasn't anyone mentioned to the anti-Ocarina, pro-Majora's Mask people that the game basically flips back and forth between the two games' motifs? Good shit.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
You jerks are now officially living two and half weeks in the future.

Or we're officially two and a half weeks in the past. Either way it's not much fun!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on everything I've read, I don't think I need to buy a Wii. I mean, i already own a gamecube!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here's a question. how does the magic wii network work? let me rephrase that: if i import a japanese wii can i play japanese wii virtual console games? because the japanese virtual console has some good stuff coming out for it.

(and doesn't require me to look at the turbographx-16 logo.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no setup at all required for the network, short of entering the key for my Airport wireless. That leads me to believe that a Japan region Wii might just connect to the Japanese Virtual Console store. But of course you would then need to pay for your Wii points through the J-store, right? Or are the J-version VC games priced the same? I'm not sure.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that wii points are region locked too (since they cost different amount in different regions) and to use the Japanese Wii store you'd need a Japanese credit card. This is how itunes handles it, in any event. I'd hope that nintendo wouldn't do something like that, but I also wouldn't put it past them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: